5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181124_212711 (resized).jpg
    IMG-20181124-WA0018 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20181124-WA0023 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

Hello guys! I'm becoming crazy with a data east last action hero, since I have involved another machine for test I'll call the non working machine LAH-1. After full shopping I noticed that LEFT JET BUMPER doesn't fire. Watching and measuring the related Q11 transistor TIP122 on the CPU board it looked fine, no sign of burnt neither on the solenoid. Here what i did:

- Having another working LAH (I'll call it LAH-2) on hand, I did a CPU board swap to try isolate the problem. With the "new" board on LAH-1 the coil fired in test many times, I tried to start a game and here it fired 2-3 Times before dying again.

- I then installed the CPU from LAH-1 on LAH-2 and the bumper didn't work at all. I assumed that the q11 and related predriver need to be replaced..and so I did, with the replaced component the LAH-1 board works on LAH-2.

-Assuming that the bumper coil on LAH-1 was burning tips on my boards i replaced it with a new one as from manual. I replaced also the Tip122 and predriver from the board (this is the one originally installed and fully working on LAH-2).

Again I have tryed the solenoid in test mode and it fired many time without apparently a problem. Started a game and after a few match I started to smell burnt..

The transistor I have just replaced was melting and the new replaced coil was really hot!

At this point I really don't know what else it could be.. measured the related resistances on the board and they looked fine, the bumper related switch only register when touched so it won't stay on energizing the coil, also the coil diode is not broken (it's new!)..

Please help! there is something obvious I am forgetting to check?

20181124_212711 (resized).jpg20181124_212711 (resized).jpgIMG-20181124-WA0018 (resized).jpegIMG-20181124-WA0018 (resized).jpegIMG-20181124-WA0023 (resized).jpegIMG-20181124-WA0023 (resized).jpeg
    #2 5 years ago

Did you check the resistance on the coil, measuring from the coil lugs?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you check the resistance on the coil, measuring from the coil lugs?

Yes! In one side it gives different increasing values and in the other it is between 058 and 060 measuring with the multimeter on a scale of 200 ohm..anyway the coil is new from shop!

#4 5 years ago

Bump!

#5 5 years ago

Since it doesn't do it in test by itself, but fries in the game when other stuff is firing, I'd look and see if there's any device sharing daisy-chained wiring that may be shorting it out. Seems like something else might be shorting.

You could also do all the other individual solenoids (and FLASHERS!) repeatedly before moving on to the next one to see if you can blow the transistor for that solenoid that way due to a hidden short.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-bumper-blowing-transistor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.