• Latest reply 4 years ago by Tonup69
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Williams_1968_Lady_Luck_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf (PDF preview)
Motor_Lady_Luck (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
score_reel_switches (resized).png
Back_Lady (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hello all

I am new to this board and pinball repair, but I just picked up a beauty of a Williams 1968 Lady Luck. She lights up and I can event get some play on it, but when you first hit the start button it continues to go through the startup sequence over and over again - stopping any play by de-activating the flippers and resetting scores. Any ideas? Here is a link to some movies that show what is going on. Let me know if I need to upload to YouTube instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1lh0d3d3fz8n0a/IMG_0952.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oygf71lqbk9td62/IMG_0953.MOV?dl=0

Back_Lady (resized).jpgBack_Lady (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

There are two switches that should open when the reel is at zero, check them for each score reel.

So you mean ALL of the score reels? Not just the reel moving in the video - the credit reel? Sorry, first time repair. I am trying to get through the instructions, but there is a lot to catch up on.

Thanks.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

That switch stack on the credit wheel unit is all screwed up. This is not a score reel issue. It keeps starting a new game like you're pressing the credit button. I think this is the unit:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1966/files/mobile/index.html#11
While it's kachunking, pull apart that switch stack that's all crammed together and see if it stops...

Which switch stack am I pulling apart? The one at a 90deg angle or the one the pin on the credit wheel is hitting? Isn't that the same switch that I use to set free play on the machine?

#8 4 years ago

Update:
1) I checked all of the score reels - all switches are open when score is at 0.
2) While checking, I did notice a pair of wires going to one of the switches had been poorly soldered and came loose! I fixed these wires, but the game is still stuck in reset mode.
3) I noticed that the solenoids are firing in a sort of rhythm - first advance, then remove credit, then advance. There is a switch on the bottom of that stack you can see firing. When I separate that switch, the advance solenoid stops, but the remove credit solenoid keeps trying to move the wheel - which is stuck! Something is going on here, but I can't figure out what.

Sorry for the ignorance, but where is the score motor on my Williams 1968 Lady Luck? I will check the replay relay, but not sure where that is.

Also, there is a buzz/hum coming from the front coin door. Something may be wrong with the alignment of the coin slots or something, but I don't know the normal configuration.

Thanks for the help - I think I can fix this out once we find the main problem.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The score motor is in on bottom of the machine — it has numerous cams and stacks of switches that ride on them. They are on a shaft that is turned by a motor. Refer to the schematic on ipdb.org for the position of the different cams and switch stacks. You are looking for switch 5A which should open when the score motor rotates to that position causing the replay and coin relays to de-energize.

Just to be clear, I need to remove the play field to access the score motor, correct? This motor running in this video is the score motor?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oygf71lqbk9td62/IMG_0953.MOV?dl=0

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The score motor is in on bottom of the machine — it has numerous cams and stacks of switches that ride on them. They are on a shaft that is turned by a motor. Refer to the schematic on ipdb.org for the position of the different cams and switch stacks. You are looking for switch 5A which should open when the score motor rotates to that position causing the replay and coin relays to de-energize.
The rhythm you are seeing is caused by the sequence of pulses sent by the score motor as it turns.

I'm sorry. I will need help finding the switch so I can check it. My manual for my specific machine says that sw 5A is to "energize the gate relay". I have taken more video of the motor and checked the switches while it is operating, but I can't see any switches that are NOT opening or closing as they should be doing. Can you tell me which of these switch banks I should focus on?

Motor_Lady_Luck (resized).jpgMotor_Lady_Luck (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago

Here is the Williams Start-Up Sequence - according to pinrepair.com:

Williams Start-Up Sequence.

When the start button is pressed, the credit unit is decremented. This is done through the credit unit zero position switch and the 2nd coin relay (and the ball count zero position switch).
>Maybe this is where I am stuck? Could be, but I got further along on this sequence, so maybe not.

The end of stroke (EOS) switch on the credit unit decrement coil will energize the coin relay.
The coin relay will trip the game over relay.
The coin relay will energize the reset relay. The score motor will run.
>Since my motor is running continuously, I guess it got this far.

The reset relay will energize the ball count unit reset, through the score motor.
The reset relay energizes the 2nd coin relay latch and game over relay latch coils.
The reset relay will energize the score reset relays, through the score motor.
The score reel reset relays will zero the score reels, through the score motor.
>For the score reels - other than the credit reel - this is working.

The score motor will continue to activate the score reset relays until all the score reels reach the zero position.
>Maybe THIS is where it is stuck? Maybe the problem with the credit wheel? Seems to go back to 5 credits not matter where I set it and just keep going back and forth without actually moving.

The reset relay activates the bonus unit coil until the bonus unit zero position switch is activated.
When the bonus relay drops out, the outhole relay is energized through a different bonus unit zero switch and score motor switch.
The outhole relay will run the score motor. The bonus unit will step up once. The ball will be kicked to the shooter lane.
>Not sure I got this far since the score motor is still spinning.

Suggestions?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

When you press the replay button, the replay relay stays energized through switch 5A on the score motor. Check that this switch is opening when the score motor gets to that position -- it should drop out after one score motor revolution.
[quoted image]

Here is the wiring diagram for my machine 1968 Lady Luck. Switch 5A is on a reel that controls "5 plays 25c" unless I am not reading this correctly.

Williams_1968_Lady_Luck_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdfWilliams_1968_Lady_Luck_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf
#16 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Yes that is the switch. You can put the motor in service using the adjustment jack and turn it manually to check its operation. Use the schematic to identify the cam (6th from the motor). The coin relay should de-energize when the switches change state on cam 5. You may first verify that the coin relay is staying energized when the score motor runs.

Where is the coin relay? I noticed a solenoid that is going on and off turning a bank of switches under the playfield. Is this the coin relay?

LTR

#17 4 years ago

UPDATE! I moved the score motor around manually while the machine was in "service motor" mode (thanks for that). I found a spot on the very first reel where all of those switches close (reel 0?) and there is a loud buzz noise. I traced that noise to the front door. I tapped a few things, put a few credits up and turned the machine off to go back into the functional score motor mode. When I restarted and hit the replay button the motor engaged, but STOPPED! In fact, I played an entire game and all of the other functions appear to be working including 5 ball play, scoring and dealer cards/player cards. HOWEVER, when I tried to play another game, I only got a single ball to play. I have not rigged the game in free play mode as instructed on pinrepair.com. That is working fine now. The machine is not cycling now, but it will only play one ball and now I can get it to kick the ball out at all. Any advice here? I am making progress.

LTR

#18 4 years ago

Lady Luck is an evil temptress! I played a few single ball games. There is a lot working on this machine, but there are still issues:

1) Just to play I have to cycle through 7-8 replays - i.e. on the 7th or 8th cycle the score motor gets past the point where it is stuck and kicks out a ball.
2) Now after a few games - maybe 5-6 games - I can't engage the score motor anymore by pressing replay. I manually added a credit and that did not help.

Now the I am two steps back - at least before there was playfied action, now I can't do anything. The power is one, lights are on and you could hear the pop when I added a credit, but the start up sequence is not kicking in.

Suggestions?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

Lady Luck is an evil temptress! I played a few single ball games. There is a lot working on this machine, but there are still issues:
1) Just to play I have to cycle through 7-8 replays - i.e. on the 7th or 8th cycle the score motor gets past the point where it is stuck and kicks out a ball.
2) Now after a few games - maybe 5-6 games - I can't engage the score motor anymore by pressing replay. I manually added a credit and that did not help.
Now the I am two steps back - at least before there was playfied action, now I can't do anything. The power is one, lights are on and you could hear the pop when I added a credit, but the start up sequence is not kicking in.
Suggestions?

Update to update. Now it does start up when I press the button (score motor and score wheels are resetting). Score wheel goes through a complete cycle, but no ball gets kicked out and the match number stays up.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

1) Does the Relay Bank reset?
2) If the Relay Bank resets, what happens to the Game Over relay?[quoted image]

Short answer, I don't know. I could see several relays resetting, but I will have to go back a check each of these are resetting during one cycle of the score motor. I'll try to get to that Thursday night and let you know what I find! Someone suggested maybe the ball stepper is dirty? I am looking at pinrepair.com now for cleaning instructions on stepper wheels.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

1) Does the Relay Bank reset?
2) If the Relay Bank resets, what happens to the Game Over relay?[quoted image]

Your prediction was exactly correct! The Game Over Relay is not resetting. I think the entire bank is not resetting sometimes as well. I was able to force the relay to reset and then play another game, but it only lasted one ball and the Game Over Relay did not reset between balls.

Is this solenoid bad or is there something else to consider here in the GO relay circuit?

Cheers,

LTR

#24 4 years ago

UPDATE: My friend Trey came over to help me troubleshoot and teach me some tricks to cleaning and inspection of a new machine. Long story short, the above circuit for the relay bank reset was the problem. I noticed a fuse on the playfield (the 1.0A slow blow in the schematic). It was an odd looking fuse with a copper post so it wasn't obviously blown - we checked it with the meter and it sure was blown! I have now played two 2-player games on the machine and almost everything works (except the crappy flippers, but I'm working on that now). Trey also pointed out a few coils that should be replaced before they fail (soon) and some wires that need to be fixed. Overall, I am VERY happy with this machine and the short time it took to get it running. Thanks for the input!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lady-luck-just-won-t-quit-resetting?tu=Tonup69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.