Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170804_130324 (resized).png
20170605_233700 (resized).jpg
20170605_232430 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I just picked up a 1968 williams lady luck. The problem the guy was having was weak flippers. I bought it and as soon as I opened it is noticed the EoS switches were messed up. One was broken completely and the other was bent not to touch. The bend one, I adjusted and it brought it's snap back. The other broken one, I made a jumper wire and it didn't really help. I'm not an experienced pinball tech. A picture of the underneath would be worth a thousand words as would a point in the right direction for schematics. Thanks in advance!

#2 6 years ago

You could always swap flipper coils to see if the coil is the problem but since that's unlikely, I'd clean the solenoid plungers and sleeves first.

Schematic here
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1404/Williams_1968_Lady_Luck_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the schematic link, I was hoping to find one on ebay or somewhere. I use my phone for pinside and a phone screen isn't too conducive of schematics.

#4 6 years ago

You're better off just replacing the EOS switches with new ones. The contact points on flipper EOS switches become pitted over time and don't usually respond to cleaning. They're easy to replace and all the major online parts stores have them in stock...

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

You're better off just replacing the EOS switches with new ones. The contact points on flipper EOS switches become pitted over time and don't usually respond to cleaning. They're easy to replace and all the major online parts stores have them in stock...

I will take you up on that and do that for sure.

Any clue as to why the machine would only start a 2 player game? The coin door doesn't work. It's "set" on free play.

#6 6 years ago

Here's where you can buy a schematic:

http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.html

Be sure to specify the Williams 1968 version as there are several machines by the name of Lady Luck from different manufacturers.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

Any clue as to why the machine would only start a 2 player game? The coin door doesn't work. It's "set" on free play.

What do you mean "The coin door doesn't work"?
If pressing the reset button always starts in 2 player mode, manually activating the 2nd coin relay (Latch) puts it in 1 player mode, and manually activating the 2nd coin relay (Trip) puts it in 2 player mode, then this is the circuit to check.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What do you mean "The coin door doesn't work"?

Well, as I only messed with it for a couple of minutes last night, I'm not sure. There are no need to put coins in and as soon as you turn it on and press start- a two player game starts. The replay credits unit is in the machine but no reel. I assume someone bent a switch there to act as its always full of credits. I haven't looked since I only have schematics on my phone.

#9 6 years ago

What happens if you manually activate the 2nd coin relay (Latch) ?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What happens if you manually activate the 2nd coin relay (Latch) ?

It switches from 2 player to 1! As a newbie how do I fix that?

I was proud of fixing the flippers and a dead pop bumper. But now I feel lost....

#11 6 years ago

Next step is to check the 3 switches on the circuit I hilited in orange in my post # 7

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Next step is to check the 3 switches on the circuit I hilited in orange in my post # 7

The 2nd coin relay (latch) only changes while I hold it manually over. Should it lock?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

The 2nd coin relay (latch) only changes while I hold it manually over. Should it lock?

Good catch. Let us know why it doesn't stay put when you latch it.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Good catch. Let us know why it doesn't stay put when you latch it.

OK possible dumb question, how do I figure that out? Is that a lock relay?

#15 6 years ago

Look at it closely or post a close up picture here. It's not a lock relay, it has 2 coils, one to latch and one to trip.

#16 6 years ago

I've never seen one of these in my machines before....

20170605_232430 (resized).jpg20170605_232430 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Look at it closely or post a close up picture here. It's not a lock relay, it has 2 coils, one to latch and one to trip.

I stated at it closely for about five minutes and saw where the latch was out of groove (to the left of the red wire by the z-27 coil)! Cranked her up, risking life and limb if I woke our 4 sleeping children and sure enough... IT WORKS! I now have a fully functional game! Thanks Howard R! Cheers!

20170605_233700 (resized).jpg20170605_233700 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

I have a 1977 Williams Argosy that will only start 4-player games. Does anyone know if this would be a similar issue to a 2-player like this? Also, I'm not super savvy on EM's, so any dumb dumb talk will be helpful to this dummy.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I have a 1977 Williams Argosy that will only start 4-player games. Does anyone know if this would be a similar issue to a 2-player like this? Also, I'm not super savvy on EM's, so any dumb dumb talk will be helpful to this dummy.

Wish I was savvy to help

#20 6 years ago

Williams 4 players use a coin unit. Check to see if it's sticking and not resetting.

2 weeks later
#21 6 years ago

What do you mean exactly by "the latch was out of groove?" I've got a 1968 William 4-player myself that's giving me nightmares with its odd behaviours. I'd like to better understand what you fixed, and how you did it.

PS - $250 was a great price, IMHO! The ad is still on CL - houston.craigslist.org link

#22 6 years ago

Hi PinPilot
I am not LeakyFaucet - my interpretation of his "to the left of the red wire on the Z27-coil the latch was out of groove" is "the armature (anchor plate) on the Z27-part was out of place so the armature could not easy / reliable move".
How about "starting a topic and write about 'odd behaviour' " - greetings Rolf

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from PinPilot:

PS - $250 was a great price, IMHO! The ad is still on CL - houston.craigslist.org link

yeah last time I saw that ad it was listed for $400, even then I was thinking about it.

1 month later
#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PinPilot:

What do you mean exactly by "the latch was out of groove?" I've got a 1968 William 4-player myself that's giving me nightmares with its odd behaviours. I'd like to better understand what you fixed, and how you did it.

Just saw this.... better late than never.

The groove that the arrow is pointing at needed to be pushed into the bracket where the other mark is...

20170804_130324 (resized).png20170804_130324 (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lady-luck-flipper-schematic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.