4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Tonup69
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Guys,

First off, thanks for helping me get the Lady up and running. There are still a few things to do now that I can get it to start and play. One troubling issue is that the bulb that lights the right kicker blows when the rick kicker relay fires. Looking at the schematic, I can't see how that bulb and the kicker relay are even related (one is 24V and one is 6V). Does the kicker relay switch also control the bulb somehow? Could there be a short causing 24V to go to the socket for the kicker bulb?

Thanks in advance.

LTR

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I wonder if the kicker, when actuating, is causing the bulb to short out. Have you checked the position of the socket (and it's associated parts) in relation to the kicker mechanism? Is there contact between the two when the kicker is moving through it's range of motion? Check the wiring between the kicker and the bulb also. It certainly sounds like there is a short, only when the kicker arm is fully plunged (extended/activated). Slowly test it manually (power off) and see if you can see anything. If you choose to do it with the power on (to recreate it), then use the eraser end of a pencil or rubber gloves to insulate yourself against electrical current.

So, there is no physical interferance between the kicker and the bulb socket. In fact, all they have in common is a ground wire. Maybe the socket is bad and the vibration makes the bulb blow?

1 week later
#5 4 years ago

Update - still not sure why the bulbs burn out, but I can tell one switch on this kicker is not working. The kicker itself is a bit weak and always sparks when it triggers. Any ideas? Could it be an internal short of one of the switches? How would that affect the bulb? The wiring is completely different except for the shared ground lead.

1 week later
#7 4 years ago

Kicker works fine. One switch works - right side - one switch doesn't work at all - left side. Checked the light - which, as you recall, does not go on with a new bulb, but will flash and burn out when the kicker switch is closed. No power going to the bulb (?). Not sure why (two white wires from the loom). One switch that is broken may have an internal short causing the ground to go hot (24V) when the kicker engages? Only thing I can think of here.

#8 4 years ago

Did some testing and here is what I found:

1) The light was not working because the ground lead was not grounding AFTER the left side kicker switch. If I jumped to another ground on the other side of the switch it would light up on 6V.
2) The socket works (see above)
3) Right kicker switch does not work - may have an internal short.
4) I unsoldered the lead from the swich and the light works now.

I think this is a bad switch with an internal short that was sending 24V to the light socket through the ground lead when it activated. That would explain the bright blown bulbs when the kicker activated.

I am getting a new switch, so that should solve the problem.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lady-luck-blowing-kicker-bulbs?tu=Tonup69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.