Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DropTarget
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7867 (resized).jpg
    Jungle Head.JPG
    Webbing (resized).JPG
    20180722_110046_resized (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_7867 (resized).JPG
    20180623_122156 (resized).jpg
    20180623_112931 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I live in California and therefore cannot drive to a local paint store and get real lacquer for cabinet webbing. What's a guy to do? I believe I can get nitrocellulose lacquer locally. Does anyone have experience using nitrocellulose lacquer for webbing?

What about stuff that I can buy online. Assuming that the seller will ship it to me, there are numerous options but I really can't tell from the descriptions what kind of lacquers the stuff online is or if it would work for webbing.

I know I'm not the first to run up against this problem. I really want to learn to do it properly but need good material to work with. What have others done?

#3 6 years ago

But I don't live in Cali. I live in California!

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

I ended up using Montana webbing. I have an extra can of silver I could sell you

Thanks for the offer but I tried Montana webbing. I also tried Krylon. Both are decent products but too thick compared to original stock. I really want to find a source for good lacquer that I could use to shoot out of a gun.

1 week later
    #10 6 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Try the spray can stuff with a cheap touch up gun from Harbor Freight. Thin the product down with lacquer thinner (can you get that?) 1-2 ozsin the gun, add a capful of thinner, stir. Practice in cardboard. Works great. Very thin , random and authentic look.

I'm going to try this on my next one. I've got all that stuff minus the siphon feed touch up gun which is cheap at harbor freight.

6 months later
    #16 5 years ago

Just realized that I never followed up on this. I tried the method of unloading a rattle can of webbing into a siphon feed touch up gun. It took a bit of fiddling with gun and pressure adjustment but ultimately worked great. I highly recommend this method.

20180623_112931 (resized).jpg20180623_112931 (resized).jpg
    #18 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

What webbing did you use?

Krylon. I diluted approximately 1 oz of webbing with 1/4 oz lacquer thinner.

20180623_122156 (resized).jpg20180623_122156 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #32 5 years ago

Agreed - Montana or Krylon can be used straight out of the can if you don't mind a heavier than factory web. Thinning it is key to a lighter, more subtle web like the original. Distance from the surface is also an important factor when karate chopping. You're basically tossing strings of paint through the air.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lacquer-for-em-cabinet-webbing?tu=pinheadpierre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.