Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DropTarget
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7867 (resized).jpg
    Jungle Head.JPG
    Webbing (resized).JPG
    20180722_110046_resized (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_7867 (resized).JPG
    20180623_122156 (resized).jpg
    20180623_112931 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Try the spray can stuff with a cheap touch up gun from Harbor Freight. Thin the product down with lacquer thinner (can you get that?) 1-2 ozsin the gun, add a capful of thinner, stir. Practice in cardboard. Works great. Very thin , random and authentic look.

So what do you do? Buy the Krylon spray, empty the propellant, cut open the spray can and use the liquid in a siphon gun?

#13 5 years ago

Are you kidding? Is that obvious? Have you actually tried this?

1 month later
    #19 5 years ago

I was very pleased with my final results too....

IMG_7867 (resized).JPGIMG_7867 (resized).JPGimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    4 weeks later
    #21 5 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Nice,
    Which method and paint did you use?

I emptied a spray can of krylon black webbing into a jar, mixed it with lacquer thinner, then sprayed with siphon spray gun. Played with the pressures and paint flow adjustment for a minute or two on paper for practice, then shot the entire cabinet and head box in about 1 minute.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

thank you, I tried that using Montana brand webbing, but it was a total failure. I used mineral spirits instead of lacquer thinner, could that be the reason?
    btw. my resistors and SMDs just arrived.

I'm not sure why your paint failed. Not sure what Montana is. Not sure what mineral spirits would do to the mix. I've never heard of trying that. I'm jonesing for a new project, preferably an older EM.

#27 5 years ago

I don't think you will have any problems with the oil based paints, either as a base coat or top coat. Generally, you can paint oil based paints over lacquer, but can't paint lacquer over oil based paints. But you will be applying a very small amount of paint (the webs) thinned with a very small amount of lacquer thinner. In order to do one machine (cabinet and head), you will not even use 1/4 of a can of the Krylon Marbellizing paint. I think I thinned my paint with about equal parts of thinner....won't hurt to thin less, but may not siphon out of the gun if too thick. Not sure about using a HVLP gun. I didn't try that. Crank up the pressure to about 40-60 psi and practice on some scrap. Really it's easy. Play with the mixture flow adjustment and practice moving the gun fast enough to spread out the "wisps" of paint.

#30 5 years ago

Those Montana webs are interesting. I opted for the smaller, more subtle webs, hence the thinning with lacquer thinner. And I agree, keeps moving the gun like karate chops!

IMG_7867 (resized).jpgIMG_7867 (resized).jpg

#33 5 years ago

I might add that I brushed a coat of water based satin polycyclic over the entire cabinet and head after the webs dried to prevent them from lifting when I did the stenciled top coats. Any clear should do, I just happened to have some of that clear satin from another project I did.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lacquer-for-em-cabinet-webbing?tu=JethroP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.