Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 262 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by crlush
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does Stern's failure to respond to Customer's Concerns affect your decision to buy elsewhere?”

• Does Stern's failure to respond to Customer's concerns affect your decision to buy new? 28 votes
      15%
    • Yes 68 votes
      36%
    • No 65 votes
      35%
    • I never will buy a New Stern Pinball 27 votes
      14%

(188 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3078 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3077 (resized).JPG
    2e7ead19-8502-41e3-9518-58c799b8fba3_1.3ced06173c03de4550d12e2be818d353 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-05-31-01-52-27-1 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2017-05-31-01-46-13-1 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2017-05-31-01-44-37-1 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2017-05-31-01-43-39-1 (resized).png
    rj (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_0842 (resized).png
    IMG_5356 (resized).JPG
    20170528_141157.jpg
    20170528_152948.jpg
    20170528_135536.jpg
    BOX (resized).jpg
    Chas (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hemispheres:

The ONLY regret I have is not following my gut on the very first phone conversation I had with him.

Did he tell you verbally when he was speaking in all caps or was it easy to tell?

#102 6 years ago

"Pinside - Come for the pinball. Stay for the drama!"

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

If the box was damaged and the game is damaged and you accepted the shipment then it's now on you to work it out with the shipping company. You should have never taken delivery of it.

That is NOT the case. First off, the game has to be damaged as you stated. Second off, We insure ALL games 3rd party. Something I don't know if ANYONE does, but we do. I also do NOT use crap carriers like Roadrunner etc. This was a very reputable carrier but no matter who the carrier damage can occur. This is why there is insurance. This is not our first rodeo. We have shipped hundreds of games. Even without the 3rd party policy you have 5 days to make a claim on most carriers policy and the 3rd party policy after acceptance BUT the game has to be damaged. This game was absolutely not whatsoever and this is FULLY documented. All the customer had to do was use the eyeballs and ears he was give and all his frustrations would have been avoided, but he is truly incapable of that. He proved it over and over with us. We have had damaged games and yes they have been returned, replaced etc, but this takes co-operation with the customer. There is a process. Pretty much this is the case with anything in life. Something this guy has no clue about. Again, there if definitely a second side to this story. I will not have time to post it now, but it will be. Rest assured. This is NOT a cut and dry deal here guys.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hemispheres:

Oh no yoko, he burned that bridge a long time ago. You WILL get the timeline of ALL the events. I promise....and it WILL be accurate, that I can assure you.

I have a funny feeling your upcoming post is going to be the highlight of my cube monkey afternoon!!!

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Did he tell you verbally when he was speaking in all caps or was it easy to tell?

nope.....It was really easy to tell. I was just a complete idiot. I remember telling my brother the second I hung up "I gotta bad feeling about this guy" Like I said...hindsight is 20/20. They say you learn something new every day. Boy did I learn a lesson. Thankfully most customers are awesome to deal with and it make this all worth while. Every once in a while you get these guys. I just kick myself in the ass for not listening to myself. Buy hey....the good news? The good ALWAYS outweighs the bad. We move on....

#106 6 years ago

You said you don't have time to post the full story but subsequently has the time to post 6 follow up statements...hmmm

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hemispheres:

That is NOT the case. This is NOT a cut and dry deal here guys.

What is not cut and dry?

1) I paid for a Stern ASLE IN FULL;

2) You shipped the machine;

3) The shipping company damaged the shipment and it was refused;

4) In an attempt to work out a solution I CONTACTED AND ARRANGED TO HAVE FIREBIRD PINBALL TECHS CONDUCT AN INSPECTION AT THE FREIGHT TERMINAL The driver documented the damage, shipment was refused and a freight claim filed on the same day AND YOU WERE NOTIFIED OF THIS, (AS YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE WHO COULD FILE THE FREIGHT DAMAGE CLAIM);

5) You never contacted Firebird Pinball or had another Pinball Technician conduct and inspection TO INSURE NO CONCEALED DAMAGE OR OTHER DAMAGE WAS PRESENT.

6) I requested that an inspection be completed and the delivery continued IF THE INSPECTION SHOWED NO DAMAGE OR A REPLACEMENT MACHINE BE RE-SHIPPED. Neither of these two options happened.

7) The shipment was returned to you;

8 ) You refused to refund my paypal payments.

What is not cut and dry about this?

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

You said you don't have time to post the full story but subsequently has the time to post 6 follow up statements...hmmm

I knew someone would say this. When you see how long that post will and how well documented be you will understand. I am replying to emails and peeking in here. No lie when I tell you the stack of paperwork I have on this is 3/4" thick. Not like I can make that post in a few minutes. You want to know what happened then I will, but it's not going to be a broad post of "I got ripped off" I have facts. he has claims.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hemispheres:

I knew someone would say this. When you see how long that post will and how well documented be you will understand. I am replying to emails and peeking in here. No lie when I tell you the stack of paperwork I have on this is 3/4" thick. Not like I can make that post in a few minutes. You want to know what happened then I will, but it's not going to be a broad post of "I got ripped off" I have facts. he has claims.

You don't have to.

Just answer these 3 questions;

1) Why wasn't an inspection by a pinball tech conducted at the Freight Terminal BEFORE the shipment was returned to you and;

2) Why wasn't a replacement machine shipped and;

3) Why, if a replacement was not shipped, did you ignore Paypal's request and refused issue a refund?

#110 6 years ago

I got $10 on Hemispheres, and that the OP tried to return a perfect game with a dented box. Haha

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I got $10 on Hemispheres, and that the OP tried to return a perfect game with a dented box. Haha

It wasn't just dented, look at the pic I posted in the HA thread

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinpinpin:

It wasn't dented, look at the pic I posted in the HA thread

You haven't posted any photos, as far as I can tell.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You haven't posted any photos that I can see.

Here it is again

The pallet was UNSECURED (i.e. unstrapped/unsecured to the trailer) alone in a semi-trailer when the damage was found.

I could not insure that CONCEALED DAMAGE HAD NOT OCCURRED.

SAIA Pallet Damage (resized).jpgSAIA Pallet Damage (resized).jpg

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I put $10 on them both being the same person and he's having an argument with himself. I also bet he's Emphil, who just signed up to tell everybody how much he loves pinball and pinball loves him. A lot of interesting new accounts lately...

...yet no Radrog.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

You can send me you $10 via paypal

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinpinpin:

You can send me you $10 via paypal

Bah. You'll just say it was damaged and try to return it.

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

..yet no Radrog.

Sadly,.. OP has too much correct spelling and punctuation.

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Sadly,..too much correct spelling and punctuation.

Yea, I have fat fingers

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Sadly,..too much correct spelling and punctuation.

True dat. And too many RANDOM YELLED PHRASES! Mike, perhaps?

#120 6 years ago

Wow, I don't care if this guy is unreasonable, coming on here and trashing customers is no place I would want to ever do business with. There's a way to argue a point and this is not how it's done IMO. Also, acting like you don't have time to resolve a dispute is also pretty lame, which you clearly do. We're all busy, it's just a matter of priorities.

#121 6 years ago

No PinPin... compared to some other new guys your spelling and punctuation is a welcome relief. Great job with that atleast!
    Nobody wants to see you get screwed outta 9k. I certainly hope everything works out. But a lot of fellas come in here screamin and hollerin when all of it coulda been solved much more respectfully and civilly. Common courtesy goes A LONG way.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from SkillShot:

Wow, I don't care if this guy is unreasonable, coming on here and trashing customers is no place I would want to ever do business with. There's a way to argue a point and this is not how it's done IMO. Also, acting like you don't have time to resolve a dispute is also pretty lame, which you clearly do. We're all busy, it's just a matter of priorities.

We have seen several distributors come on here and defend themselves....and I wouldn't calling it "trashing the customer."

After reading the OP's posts in this thread.....I wouldn't sell him a bottle Novus 1......

#123 6 years ago

Novus 3?

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

We have seen several distributors come on here and defend themselves....and wouldn't calling it "trashing the customer."
    After reading the OP's posts in this thread.....I wouldn't sell him Novus 1......

Why not, because I wouldn't take a chance of the acceptance of "concealed damage'?

Please be more specific.

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinpinpin:

What is not cust and dry?
    1) I paid for a Stern ASLE IN FULL;

Just wait until I start with that deal. You were such a treat to deal with let me tell you Joe. I pity the next dealer who has to deal with you...I really do.
    Just sit back Joe, I will be more than happy to refresh your memory since even your claims on the price is $700.00 off. Did it just slip your mind that we sold it to you for $8300? Did it slip your mind to mention we shipped it insured no charge, gave you a free shaker, a discounted topper and bank rolled you 2 weeks PAST your agreed terms interest free? Oh and what about the conversation we had about that shipping? The one where I said if you wanted to save a few bucks we can do terminal pick up (not and option for you, ok no problem) or if your a business with a dock it's cheaper than residential with liftgate. You jumped all over that then wondered why there was no liftgate on the truck when it showed up. Then we google earth the address and it's your home. Carries upcharges regardless so then you stick it to me there too. Joe, from day one you have been nothing but an unethical and complete PITA. Every time you cried the blues on prices I bent over backwards, then I have to pound on you to get you to pay for the thing. I'm not your bank. ESPECIALLY on these margins. You obviously could not afford the game, why you were buying it I have no clue. I was an idiot for selling this game to you. I really was.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

No PinPin... compared to some other new guys your spelling and punctuation is a welcome relief. Great job with that atleast!
    Nobody wants to see you get screwed outta 9k. I certainly hope everything works out. But a lot of fellas come in here screamin and hollerin when all of it coulda been solved much more respectfully and civilized. Common courtesy goes A LONG way.

I tried to work out a solution.

It was I that suggested, then contacted a pinball tech to have them inspect the shipment at the freight terminal and the Seller was aware of this.

The Seller made no attempt in having an inspection completed as the Tech I had lined up was never called.

#127 6 years ago

Why didn't you answer the 3 questions that I posted?

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinpinpin:

Why not, because I wouldn't take a chance of the acceptance of "concealed damage'?
    Please be more specific.

I've accepted them with a lot worse looking boxes then that. Looks like something was just rubbing the corner of the box a little. With the foam they use inside the box there's little chance the game was damaged. I would have reached in and felt around and looked with a flash light. If all looked good I'd be playing 30 minutes later. To be safe you could have just called the dealer and asked what your options are while the game was still on the lift gate. Sounds like it had extra insurance and that you would have been covered no matter what.

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

BINGO! You are the winner, but if you guys what the full drawn out story on what we had to go through with this guy I would be glad, but I will need time. It's a monday here

#130 6 years ago

You need to modify your poll question to include an option for people who've had great experiences with Stern support. Granted, my sample size is small (I only have one Stern) but calling the support line I've always gotten through to someone and they have gone above and beyond for me. I couldn't be more pleased with their help and willingness to go above what they are contractually obligated to do in their warranty.

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hemispheres:

BINGO! You are the winner, but if you guys what the full drawn out story on what we had to go through with this guy I would be glad, but I will need time. It's a monday here

Sheesh, it's a Tuesday here.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Sheesh, it's a Tuesday here.

It's a virtual Monday. I'm sure many of us are hungover and beginning the workweek.

#133 6 years ago

can't complain about price after agreeing to it....buyer trying to use residential address to get a business discount feels a bit shifty...

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hemispheres:

Just wait until I start with that deal. You were such a treat to deal with let me tell you Joe. I pity the next dealer who has to deal with you...I really do.
    Just sit back Joe, I will be more than happy to refresh your memory since even your claims on the price is $700.00 off. Did it just slip your mind that we sold it to you for $8300? Did it slip your mind to mention we shipped it insured no charge, gave you a free shaker, a discounted topper and bank rolled you 2 weeks PAST your agreed terms interest free? Oh and what about the conversation we had about that shipping? The one where I said if you wanted to save a few bucks we can do terminal pick up (not and option for you, ok no problem) or if your a business with a dock it's cheaper than residential with liftgate. You jumped all over that then wondered why there was no liftgate on the truck when it showed up. Then we google earth the address and it's your home. Carries upcharges regardless so then you stick it to me there too. Joe, from day one you have been nothing but an unethical and complete PITA. Every time you cried the blues on prices I bent over backwards, then I have to pound on you to get you to pay for the thing. I'm not your bank. ESPECIALLY on these margins. You obviously could not afford the game, why you were buying it I have no clue. I was an idiot for selling this game to you. I really was.

Stop the attempting to divert and just answer these 3 questions;

1) Why wasn't an inspection by a pinball tech conducted, as requested, at the Freight Terminal BEFORE the shipment was returned to you and;

3) Why, if a replacement was not shipped, did you ignore Paypal's request and refused issue a refund?

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinpinpin:

I could not insure that CONCEALED DAMAGE HAD NOT OCCURRED

Picture shows a box with what looks like someone has inspected that broken corner of that box. There is a cut in the cardboard, which when taped back up, the cardboard was not lined back up.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinpinpin:

Stop the attempting to divert and just answer these 3 questions;
    1) Why wasn't an inspection by a pinball tech conducted, as requested, at the Freight Terminal BEFORE the shipment was returned to you and;

Why didn't you just cut a hole in the damn box and stick your head in there? It would have taken 5 minutes to make sure it wasn't damaged.

As for "concealed damage", anything that isn't cabinet / play field damage is easily fixed and covered under warranty.

#137 6 years ago

Isn't this the OP's first NIB pin? If that were my first NIB and it were not strapped to the pallet and had the hole in the box I'd be concerned too. We all know how shippers are once a delivery is signed off on. I certainly would not want to risk $8300.

As far as the OP requesting this and that and he-hawing about the prices etc. that's called haggling and getting the best deal. Just because Hemisphere offered/gave those things doesn't give them the right to bad mouth the OP. That was their choice to make those concessions.

With that said, the truth lies somewhere in the middle and a resolution can be found. Figure it out, move on, and play some pinball already.

#138 6 years ago

In all fairness, if a first time buyer receives a box with a hole in it, I could understand some concern.
    Curious to hear how the next phase was handled by the distributor.

#139 6 years ago

If the packaging has a hole but the pin is ok -then the packaging did exactly what is was designed and installed for.

Nothing here to see, move on.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I've accepted them with a lot worse looking boxes then that. Looks like something was just rubbing the corner of the box a little. With the foam they use inside the box there's little chance the game was damaged. I would have reached in and felt around and looked with a flash light. If all looked good I'd be playing 30 minutes later. To be safe you could have just called the dealer and asked what your options are while the game was still on the lift gate. Sounds like it had extra insurance and that you would have been covered no matter what.

Yeah why no call Joe. Oh wait, you did. At 7:00 in the evening my time. I gladly picked up did I not? Tell him abut that phone call Joe, and for once be honest. And what about this email EVERY ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS GETS saying exactly this:

"Your game just left a few minutes ago. See attached BOL. The PRO (tracking) number is XXXXXXXXXXXXX and can be tracked here:

It may not show up until the game is scanned at the local terminal here tonight.
    Remember, be sure to inspect for damage BEFORE you sign anything when receiving the game. The packing/box should have no damage, poke holes etc. If you see a hole, rip open the area a bit and peek in to make sure that area of the game has no visible damage. Have a decent flashlight with you when the game gets delivered. Try not cut the pallet banding if you don't have to unless you know its fine and you’re taking it. Then you can remove from pallet etc...
    If for whatever reason it is really damaged or you see something that is excessive that would need repair, as long as you have not cut the banding holding it to the pallet just refuse the shipment and tell the driver your refusing delivery and to return it to the shipper (me) and NOTE ON THE PAPERWORK that the shipment is being refused due to damage. Even if you take the game and there might be suspicion of possible damage (poke hole etc) just make a note on any of the paperwork if you are taking it and this way in case you find something after the truck leaves you have note on what you signed. It's rare but it happens, so just cover yourself or you will have no recourse once they leave. If you’re just not quite sure what to do IF you see anything, feel free to call me at 630-792-8910."

Yeah that one. How about you tell them all about the phone call we had when the truck showed up? The one where you just talked right over everything I had to say or ask. You one way conversation like all of them got us nowhere. Since your such an expert on this and I have only done this like 300 times your story should be the one we go with. I'm sure it will be accurate and true. I swear your freekin ears fell off your head on that phone call. Why did you even bother calling me? It was one of those phone calls where no matter what was said your going the Joe route anyhow. That's fine...and here we are. Isn't tis way better than working together?????? And BTW I have never refused paypal. You opened the cases, they AUTOMATICALLY go into that status. The cases were opened THE SAME DAY you returned the game. And you opened them as NEVER RECEIVED ITEM. Think that might have something to due with the delays? We had to submit the BOL etc so they saw that. Once those are open I can't refund you even if I wanted to (and I did and said I would but nooooo, were all in Joe's world, lets drag it through the mud) How in the hell did I even have a chance? Oh that's right, I run paypal too. Joes world, Joes rules. That is the ONLY way you roll. All you had to do was be a decent REASONABLE human being and you could have avoided this mess. This game was fine. As I told you in the email, this is ALL over a torn piece of cardboard but you would not even hear it. I was here to bat for you 100% as with all my customers, but when your a one way street it just goes nowhere. You have no idea how glad I am to be done with this transaction so I can move on to the people who value how hard I bust my ass for them. You gave absolutely NO value to me, my company of the service we provide. Your just one of those people and I KNOW I am not the first company to have to deal with how you roll. This is just who you are. It's quite clear to me now. Unfortunately way too late. Same on me....

#141 6 years ago

All I keep thinking as I read this painful back and forth between the OP and the Distributor is that this thread is in serious need of a new title.

This has nothing to do with Stern customer service.

And as hard as it might be to do, I think the Distributor would be better served to take the high road.

I think Pinside can see this thread for what it is.

#142 6 years ago

Ok Ill play this Game!

Ill be TV Judge Here!

It does seem cut and dry......difficult new customer with money, Some Customers Fault
    Damaged box where the customer is correct to refuse. Shippers Fault.
    Issues at the next step regarding inspection. Unknown.
    Paypal Dispute: Some Customers Fault Some Vendor as a result of an inspection issue
    Failure to send new game.....sorry, he doesnt want to, and many vendors would not either. Some Customer Fault, Some Vendor
    Blaming Stern, taking the "Im going to tell everyone how bad you are on Social Media Approach" Mostly Customer Fault.

Resolution? Verdict? Whos at Fault?

Do we care?

The Vendor is a responsible Company, I hope to ease his stress, and the Good work you have done should not be blemished this way.
    To the Op, Fix your title please, first, this has nothing to do with Stern.
    2nd, Youve made your point.

Work it out Privately!........or not, Popcorn ready...Case Closed.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Why didn't you just cut a hole in the damn box and stick your head in there? It would have taken 5 minutes to make sure it wasn't damaged.
    As for "concealed damage", anything that isn't cabinet / play field damage is easily fixed and covered under warranty.

hmmmmm......who woulda thunk.....

This was done at the destination terminal the same day by the facility manager. The customer was still refusing so I told them to just return it. No reason to let the thing sit in a terminal. The unboxed one was when it came back here and we fully unboxed it.

20170519_105004 (resized).jpg20170519_105004 (resized).jpg

20170519_105054 (resized).jpg20170519_105054 (resized).jpg

20170519_115235 (resized).jpg20170519_115235 (resized).jpg

20170519_104914 (resized).jpg20170519_104914 (resized).jpg

#144 6 years ago

Hey Joe...I heard you shot your distro down....

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hemispheres:

hmmmmm......who woulda thunk.....
    This was done at the destination terminal the same day by the facility manager. The customer was still refusing so I told them to just return it. No reason to let the thing sit in a terminal. The unboxed one was when it came back here and we fully unboxed it.

So it was in fact damaged?

#146 6 years ago

Not sure why people think the business doesn't have a right to defend itself in this post, if a customer wants to come bashing guns a blazing, then they open themselves up to this. I have more respect for the business for jumping in than if they didn't, seems like someone I would be more than happy to spend money with imo...

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

So it was in fact damaged?

No? Not at all. I unboxed it when it came back. it was flawless. The cut open corner was done by the destination terminal TO INSPECT for us. Sorry, I thought I stated that.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hemispheres:

No? Not at all. I unboxed it when it came back. it was flawless. The cut open corner was done by the destination terminal TO INSPECT for us. Sorry, I thought I stated that.

It's more that the pictures are a bit difficult to interpret. The T-moulding looks a bit damaged... but that's probably only because it's super shiny (chrome perhaps?) and showing the reflections of the cardboard around it. If it's indeed chrome or reflective in some way and the miscolorings we're seeing are actually the reflection of the cardboard hole, I'd call that game pretty flawless looking.

#149 6 years ago

Well if Doug and Jay back this distro up then I think it's safe to say that most of us will too. Best thing to do... request this thread be deleted and then delete yer account. Come back happier and as RadJoe.

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

Not sure why people think the business doesn't have a right to defend itself in this post, if a customer wants to come bashing guns a blazing, then they open themselves up to this. I have more respect for the business for jumping in than if they didn't, seems like someone I would be more than happy to spend money with imo...

Thank you. Yeah, just because we are a business does not mean we should be blasted and abused. At the end of the day we are all people living in a non perfect world. S**t happens. All you have to do is work together. I can only do so much when someone is so unreasonable. Do any of you think I don't understand what he bought and paid for? I'm pretty on it. It's what I do for a living. All it takes is a little communication. Maybe ask Joe how many phone calls I tried to make to him. All calls went unanswered.

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lack-of-stern-customer-service/page/3?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.