6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by kwiKimart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

While it's great to see the popularity of pinball increase, has anyone noticed a decrease in the number of available players pins?

I have no issue with those that prefer NIB or collector's quality machines, but I think I'm in the minority where I actually seek out pins with a little wear and tear on them. While most of it is probably related to budget, I buy machines to play, and I feel I'd be afraid to play a NIB or collector's quality machine. As long as the boards and displays are good, I'm happy. I don't want to worry about cleaning the playfield once a week, cracking a plastic, etc.

That being said, it seems to be harder and harder to find players pins as of late. Which is probably good for the hobby, but not so much for people like me

#2 6 years ago

Yup, you're a couple of years late. Collectors have grabbed all the routed machines. Just be patient, maybe you'll get lucky.

#3 6 years ago

They are the same machines that are always being claimed as HOU.

#4 6 years ago

They're still out there though, just takes maybe a little patience. Every time someone buys one and restores it that's one less though.

#5 6 years ago

PMWolf just got a whole truckload of them...

#6 6 years ago

They are out there, just have to do the work and put in the time. I am bringing two more home tomorrow.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

They're still out there though, just takes maybe a little patience. Every time someone buys one and restores it that's one less though.

This.

Everyone bought the projects, stripped them down and cleaned them up, put LEDS and mods in them and now the deals are harder to find. Plus now people that do have "players" pins look online to see what machines are worth and ask top dollar for their beaters.

#8 6 years ago

I actually prefer playing burned-in-routed fully working pins that play very good over completely restored pins. I would rather play a pin like it played 20 years ago out on location rather than play one with a glass playfield and 100% LEDs. LEDs make so much sense a lot of times but not always. Restoring a playfield certainly changes the way the game plays (faster, more glare, ect.)... there is no denying that fact.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Plus now people that do have "players" pins look online to see what machines are worth and ask top dollar for their beaters.

I think part of that is driven by how we value pins. The price difference between a PQ and CQ machine is pretty high. I have a routed LOTR with perfect playfield, plastics and translite but has some wear around the flippers and a few scratches on the side of the head. It's a great game and plays sweet, but if I sold it I'd be hard pressed to buy a similar condition pin for even money so in my collection it sits. Why sell two PQ machines to trade up to one NIB if your PQ machines play well? If I have a scratch on the side of a pin, I buy another pin to put next to it so I can't see it and use my two NIB's as book-ends.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

I think part of that is driven by how we value pins. The price difference between a PQ and CQ machine is pretty high. I have a routed LOTR with perfect playfield, plastics and translite but has some wear around the flippers and a few scratches on the side of the head. It's a great game and plays sweet, but if I sold it I'd be hard pressed to buy a similar condition pin for even money so in my collection it sits. Why sell two PQ machines to trade up to one NIB if your PQ machines play well? If I have a scratch on the side of a pin, I buy another pin to put next to it so I can't see it and use my two NIB's as book-ends.

You don't play the cabinet lol

#11 6 years ago

I personally think there are a lot of PQ games for sale... They just want $1,000-1,500 more than what they are worth.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from CASTHOF:

I personally think there are a lot of PQ games for sale... They just want $1,000-1,500 more than what they are worth.

Yup, a lot of snapragged beaters with a flippers rebuilt going for restored prices.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Yup, a lot of snapragged beaters with a flippers rebuilt going for restored prices.

+1.

I also think there are plenty of player quality games out there, and some for really good pricing. But you are not gonna find these deals on pinside or RGP. You have to network with other folks in the hobby to get em.

#14 6 years ago

I saw a High Speed II on CL yesterday for $1200. Ad was 30 minutes old, might have already been gone, but I didn't bother trying because even though it was a deal it's not a title I want, and my space is limited. Flipping doesn't interest me, though I can guess who bought it and that we'll see it again for twice as much soon.

But if it wasn't one of the flippers around here then someone got themselves a deal. Assuming it wasn't totally jacked up. The only problem listed was "misaligned flippers" (pic confirmed they were bad) which makes me think whoever owned it didn't know even the first thing about pins and it probably say there unplayed for ages.

#15 6 years ago

More & more pins are bought NIB by collectors

This means less beaters

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

More & more pins are bought NIB by collectors
    This means less beaters

Exactly. Fewer games on location means fewer used games to enter the resale market. With the high price of New games, many operators are just holding on to their product and rotating it back through. And some don't even do that part. A pizza parlor by me has had the same Nascar for I think 5 years. Prior, we saw TSPP, POTC and even IJ. But now, no rotation at all.

#17 6 years ago

I have a bunch of "players quality" machines in my house, along with a couple I bought NIB, and some above average examples of other games. And that is the problem right there. Why on earth would I sell my players quality Eight Ball when I enjoy playing it so much? Sure, it's a little beat up, and has some wear spots, but the game is still fun. My Embryon is the same way. It has some miles on it, but I love playing it. That is where most of the players games are... In players houses getting played.

#18 6 years ago

Harder to find beat up pins in need of TLC...

Also, much much harder to find NOS parts...

...hmm...

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from tb0ne:

While it's great to see the popularity of pinball increase, has anyone noticed a decrease in the number of available players pins?

I have no issue with those that prefer NIB or collector's quality machines, but I think I'm in the minority where I actually seek out pins with a little wear and tear on them.

There are ~300 player pins on location in the Boston area. Much cheaper to play them rather than buy them. Best way to support the hobby.

http://pinballmap.com/boston

#20 6 years ago

All of my pins are at least player's quality and some have increased in price since I got them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 157.00
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 149.00
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 199.99
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 12.75
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside