(Topic ID: 181791)

LA Traffic

By Azmodeus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0125 (resized).PNG
    ht_falcon_9_kab_150116_16x9_992 (resized).jpg
    sellout (resized).jpg
    sellout (resized).jpg
    sellout (resized).jpg
    download (4) (resized).jpg
    IMG_1052 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6107.JPG (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6101.JPG (resized).jpeg
    pc-riv-1960-dt-freeway-001ac-A-800 (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg
    8DAY (resized).jpg
    KABC-7DAY_LA_w450 (resized).jpg
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

And why do people not understand the left lane is the fast lane

Because it's the Prius lane!

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

And why do people not understand the left lane is the fast lane, and if I flash my lights at you it means you are going too slow and get the F out of the fast lane.

This is my biggest pet peeve, especially when there are hundreds of very visible "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs between SF and LA and LA to Vegas. I wish CHP would ticket these fools.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No doubt. In my experience, it is usually is a Prius cockblocking the fast lane.

#54 7 years ago

30% more cars in the last 20 years, 2% more road capacity, the math just doesn't work. We can blame corrupt politicians early on *Cough*PatandJerryBrown*cough* stealing from the highway fund to line their own pockets and fund entitlements. The SoCal freeway system was supposed to have about 50% more infrastructure, but the money was pilfered before it could be built. So here we are, too many cars and not enough road. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Born and raised in Orange County, moved out to Inland Empire four years ago after we got married. The traffic in southern California is soul-sucking. It really is so bad it can change who you are as a person and color your perception of reality if you are forced to sit in it for hours, day in day out. Having lived here for all my life, its hard to say this... actually, its easy: I hate this place's guts. So Cal is the WORST. The people are awful, the laws are awful, the weather is terrible (unless you can afford the $2 million mansion right on the coast, you likely live where its hot as hell for 9 months out of the year), prices are profane, and the TRAFFIC IS INSANE. I am trying to convince my wife to move to Denver. I can't wait to put this place in my dust and never look back. Until then... please for the love of God, Mr. Elon Musk, give me an affordable self-driving car. I don't care if there's a 1% risk every time I go out on the freeway I die a fiery death, anything is better than this.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

ha!

anyway, ill drive anywhere, except Manila, Philippines.. it brings crazy to a whole new level. lanes? who uses lanes...

#56 7 years ago

I remember when there were no Priuses

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Neuromancer87:

Until then... please for the love of God, Mr. Elon Musk, give me an affordable self-driving car. I don't care if there's a 1% risk every time I go out on the freeway I die a fiery death, anything is better than this.

People hate on self-driving cars, but they will save lives, time, and money. No traffic jams if all cars on the freeway are "in-sync."

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

This is my biggest pet peeve, especially when there are hundreds of very visible "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs between SF and LA and LA to Vegas. I wish CHP would ticket these fools.

In Europe they have this law implemented long ago for just "hanging" in the passing lane
    If caught it's 300 euro's

You no longer see this Stupid behavior now

They must do it here and use the hugh ton of money to fix the f...ing
    Roads !!

#59 7 years ago

What Ca needs is autobahn rules. Where slow drivers have to pull over or stay to the right.

#60 7 years ago

30% more cars in the last 20 years, 2% more road capacity, the math just doesn't work. We can blame corrupt politicians early on *Cough*PatandJerryBrown*cough* stealing from the highway fund to line their own pockets and fund entitlements. The SoCal freeway system was supposed to have about 50% more infrastructure, but the money was pilfered before it could be built. So here we are, too many cars and not enough road. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Born and raised in Orange County, moved out to Inland Empire four years ago after we got married. The traffic in southern California is soul-sucking. It really is so bad it can change who you are as a person and color your perception of reality if you are forced to sit in it for hours, day in day out. Having lived here for all my life, its hard to say this... actually, its easy: I hate this place's guts. So Cal is the WORST. The people are awful, the laws are awful, the weather is terrible (unless you can afford the $2 million mansion right on the coast, you likely live where its hot as hell for 9 months out of the year), prices are profane, and the TRAFFIC IS INSANE. I am trying to convince my wife to move to Denver. I can't wait to put this place in my dust and never look back. Until then... please for the love of God, Mr. Elon Musk, give me an affordable self-driving car. I don't care if there's a 1% risk every time I go out on the freeway I die a fiery death, anything is better than this.

Lakewood or SAN Pedro have excellent weather and housing can be had for around $500-$550k. You need to get yourself out of the inland empire is all.

#61 7 years ago

I was a third generation Californian. Grew up in Irvine then lived in LA. I totally understand where you are coming from.I will just say a change of scenery can do wonders.

#62 7 years ago

6:11 am and stop and go on the 101. Enough said.

#63 7 years ago

Only in California will a 5 line freeway come to a complete stop for miles because some poor soul is changing his tire on the side of the road. Unbelievable!

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Only in California will a 5 line freeway come to a complete stop for miles because some poor soul is changing his tire on the side of the road. Unbelievable!

So true. And it's usually on the opposite side of the median divider/freeway.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

I will just say a change of scenery can do wonders.

Especially when that change of scenery is New Zealand. Jealous!

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Lakewood or SAN Pedro have excellent weather and housing can be had for around $500-$550k. You need to get yourself out of the inland empire is all.

ఠ_ఠ You must be joking.

#67 7 years ago

The air quality in the IE is nasty..throw in the hot temps. during the summer and the Santa Ana winds..don't miss that shit at all..I do miss the 2 handed burritos thou

#68 7 years ago

What's incredible is that relatively "new" cities like L.A. were built from the ground up for urban sprawl and growth. They have massive highways in and out of the city, plentiful byways, and metered freeway entrances.

Out here on the east coast, we've got cities like Philadelphia and NYC, that have their infrastructure based on tech from the 1700s. Anyone who has driven on the Schuylkill Expressway out here during rush hour knows just how horrible it is. 2 lanes, mountains on one side, river on the other, old train bridges above, and no way of widening it. Merges are abrupt, and often there's no shoulder to pull over. We may not have the sheer numbers you guys have out there, but we have the treachery delivered in spades.

#69 7 years ago

Tesla Model 3 will be available soon with auto pilot. Perfect for wall to wall traffic with hands and foot free driving. Read a book, do more work, whatever... So much less stress driving an auto pilot Tesla. They will likely be a big seller for folks caught in the jam. Traffic be damned!!

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

Especially when that change of scenery is New Zealand. Jealous!

No where is perfect. Auckland traffic is bad (which is why we didn't move there!) and there are some downsides. There is this guy called Rotordave who buys up all of NZs pins for example We are happy though.

In the end I don't do well with traffic and crowds. I felt trapped. We looked into moving to other areas in the states but job wise there are reasons why so many people live in LA. So I started looking a bit more widely

#71 7 years ago

I despise traffic, traffic lights etc. I feel for all those who deal with it daily.

Check out this jerk who almost took me out the other day

IMG_1052 (resized).JPGIMG_1052 (resized).JPG

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Tesla Model 3 will be available soon with auto pilot. Perfect for wall to wall traffic with hands and foot free driving. Read a book, do more work, whatever... So much less stress driving an auto pilot Tesla. They will likely be a big seller for folks caught in the jam. Traffic be damned!!

Maybe some day, but it might be a while. You don't want to end up like Tesla driver Joshua Brown.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Maybe some day, but it might be a while. You don't want to end up like Tesla driver Joshua Brown.

Right, I think this a pipe dream. As soon as people start dying, bye bye automatic driving cars. Why? Because the liability goes from the driver to the manufacturer.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Check out this jerk who almost took me out the other day

Wow! Is that an albino deer?

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Right, I think this a pipe dream. As soon as people start dying, bye bye automatic driving cars. Why? Because the liability goes from the driver to the manufacturer.

We have a model X coming in April with full auto pilot driving capabilities. No more traffic stress. 750 HP total. They say its twice as safe as a human driver...so they say. But check out this video of how the Tesla's cameras and sensors with computer processing power predicts accidents around the Tesla BEFORE they occur. Turn up the volume so you can hear the Tesla warning signal and then watch what happens. Freakin cool. Elon Musk is one smart dude!! Look at what Space X is doing!!

#76 7 years ago

The threat of self-driving cars is already impacting the insurance industry. Insurance companies know the writing is on the wall, hence the long-term change in focus to commercial business vs. the existing gold mine known as auto insurance. They know the threat to their bottom line is imminent. I'm all on-board especially if we can save lives, time, and money.

#77 7 years ago

If any of you are in IT and want to get out of LA....

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/work/looksee-wellington/

#78 7 years ago

Get one of these and rise above the traffic. Cut your grass too.... Cool future ahead for the next Gen.

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Get one of these and rise above the traffic.

I'll stick with the economy "pro" model myself.

download (4) (resized).jpgdownload (4) (resized).jpg

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My Little Buddy.....

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Naw bro...that's the old you when you had some street cred You've moved "up" from your pro days

sellout (resized).jpgsellout (resized).jpg

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Naw bro...that's the old you when you had some street cred

Seriously, when I worked in El Toro and lived in Yorba Linda, I looked into those whirlybird kits so I could fly over all of it and get home. Like that dude in the Road Warrior movie.

#84 7 years ago

I'll take L.A. traffic any day over the traffic in San Francisco any time of the day. L.A. traffic may be bad, but UUUUUUUUHG!!! I hate driving in San Francisco!

#86 7 years ago

Exactly. But, you shouldn't be afraid.

The future is awesome. They just discovered new planets that could support life (without traffic) 40 light years away. In addition, the UAE is planning a colony on the planet Mars. The next gens on earth have a lot going on that we are just in the process of initiating, thanks to Musk. Brave and smart guy for many to admire.

#87 7 years ago

People fear autonomous cars, yet self-flying planes have been around since the 60s.

Odds of being killed in a car: 1 in 5,000
    Odds of being killed in an airplane: 1 in 11,000,000

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

People fear autonomous cars, yet self-flying planes have been around since the 60s.

Fucking odins old ass didn't even fly around in those planes

#89 7 years ago

Pinball rules.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

Can you please explain why you downvoted my post above this one?
    You posted a ridiculous (unnecessary) comment about o-din right under it, so I'm trying to understand your logic.

Because you upvoted mine? LOL Welcome to pinside... Happy Friday Everyone!!!

Walking in LA, No body walks in LA...... name the band

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Because you upvoted mine? LOL Welcome to pinside... Happy Friday Everyone!!!
    Walking in LA, No body walks in LA...... name the band

I liked that song, one day I was in the music store looking for the CD, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

(I have been waiting for 20 years for the right time to use that joke, thanks for the setup!)

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I liked that song, one day I was in the music store looking for the CD, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
    (I have been waiting for 20 years for the right time to use that joke, thanks for the setup!)

Yes, Missing Persons, A Frank Zappa (RIP) off-shoot band.

BTW: Good one.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

odins old ass didn't even fly around in those planes

Put down the bottle law

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Put down the bottle law

All good! We are all on this forum for common ground and good reason. Cocktail on me if/when we ever meet in person. Same goes for anyone else.

#95 7 years ago

I'll just leave this right here

IMG_0125 (resized).PNGIMG_0125 (resized).PNG

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I'll take L.A. traffic any day over the traffic in San Francisco any time of the day. L.A. traffic may be bad, but UUUUUUUUHG!!! I hate driving in San Francisco!

I'll admit I haven't driven a whole lot in SF, but it's hard to believe anywhere else could be worse than LA.

#97 7 years ago

How far is it from your house to your office?
    My reply: Anywhere in between 30 minutes and 2 hours, depending on traffic. Problem, lately I have hit that 2 hour mark way too often.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I'll admit I haven't driven a whole lot in SF, but it's hard to believe anywhere else could be worse than LA.

I moved up north last year. SF commutes from the city to the East or North Bays are pretty painful. It can take 45 minutes just to get over the Bay Bridge.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I'll just leave this right here

Watch out for the potholes!

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

The commuter drive into SF for the people living in Pleasanton and beyond is absolutely brutal, easily as bad as anything in LA. With the expansion of Facebook, Google, and others the 101 is a mess almost all the time (and the 280). Not long ago it took me almost an hour to make it down from SFO to Mountain View. That's going SOUTH about 20 miles on the 101 away from the city, and not during commuter hours. And if you need to get from one side of the bay to the other and have to use one of the bridges, it can take forever like highdef said. I dread having to go up there and drive. I'd rather take LA.

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/la-traffic/page/2?hl=neuromancer87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.