(Topic ID: 181791)

LA Traffic

By Azmodeus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0125 (resized).PNG
    ht_falcon_9_kab_150116_16x9_992 (resized).jpg
    sellout (resized).jpg
    sellout (resized).jpg
    sellout (resized).jpg
    download (4) (resized).jpg
    IMG_1052 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6107.JPG (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6101.JPG (resized).jpeg
    pc-riv-1960-dt-freeway-001ac-A-800 (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg
    8DAY (resized).jpg
    KABC-7DAY_LA_w450 (resized).jpg
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

Now that Los Angeles has been shown to have the worst traffic in the entire world.

Do you think they will fix anything?

#2 7 years ago

I used to think LA traffic was bad, but I still feel like it was worse when I went to Denver. Good grief. Maybe I haven't spent enough time on the roads in LA.

#3 7 years ago

I drive 70k a year in la area traffic. I always found Seattle traffic to be worse

#4 7 years ago

I personally think NY is the worst, it's downright dangerous. Chicago is #2. LA is a distant 3rd.

I actually like driving in LA, so much to see.

#5 7 years ago

I moved north a bit from south Orange County to la recently.

Traffic in south OC is sometimes bad but la traffic is a new slow, and been announced now to be the worst in the world.

That said I'm looking a more permanent residence in LA, go figure.

#6 7 years ago

Never driven in LA but I found Denver traffic to be a refreshing change of pace from most East Coast cities. Turn signals used most of the time, no dive-bombing across multiple lanes of traffic... but everybody has their own pace I suppose. I always felt like Indianapolis drivers drove like they were competing for pole position on the Speedway.

#7 7 years ago

Problem about LA....it's bad yes, but once the rain starts....people have no idea how to drive and simply crash their cars into the median or each other and CHP decides to shut down all lanes on 4 lanes if only one is really blocked. Keep at least one open. In Europe they would keep three open. And yes, I did just get stuck in the closed 134 in Glendale on Friday

#8 7 years ago

I Drove down to Seattle and LA on vacation. Could not believe how bad the traffic was in Both places. Hope it never get that bad up here. And they do need to fix something can't believe how much time was wasted in traffic.

#9 7 years ago

Well, I guess it is official. We have the worst rush hour in the world:
    https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAn7lRR?m=en-us

#10 7 years ago

Nothing touches the 405 in LA on a Friday afternoon, but I do get what people are saying about Seattle and Denver. Rapid expansion and growth over the last 10 years has dramatically increased traffic (and housing prices) in both cities.

#11 7 years ago

You guys would love England. The entire country is gridlocked Takes *forever* to get anywhere these days. One small island ...too many vehicles.

#12 7 years ago

So glad to live in Wyoming.

#13 7 years ago

This is the year they will probably declare the drought over as we have had so much rain. Then they will go ahead and build another million houses thinking that is the right thing to do. As soon as we have the next dry spell, So Cal will be totally screwed.

So hopefully when that happens people will be leaving in droves and we can get back to the way things used to be before the invasion of all the people from who knows where.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This is the year they will probably declare the drought over as we have had so much rain. Then they will go ahead and build another million houses thinking that is the right thing to do. As soon as we have the next dry spell, So Cal will be totally screwed.
    So hopefully when that happens people will be leaving in droves and we can get back to the way things used to be before the invasion of all the people from who knows where.

Great pinball title: "The invasion of all the people from who knows where!"

#15 7 years ago

That's exactly what it is. And Axl Rose nailed it in the song "One in a Million".

#16 7 years ago

Toronto's 401hwy is the busiest in North America. I don't know how bad LA's traffic is but our highway is worse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_401

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

So glad to live in Wyoming.

My uncle embodies the Wyoming attitude. He bought a couple-story warehouse in Sheridan that used to be a car dealership and lived in it for a couple of years with his wife and four of their kids. We jokingly called it the Warehome but it was kind of fun to take the car elevator up to the rooftop and jump on the trampoline.

#18 7 years ago

Fear not OP, for Musk is busy moving dirt underground. The Boring Company. He's serious.

#19 7 years ago

L.A. Freeway - the traffic sucks, but the song doesn't.

#20 7 years ago

Chicago can be really bad.. like 3 hours to drive 20 miles down I-90 from ohare on a friday afternoon at 3:30 pm.

However, I was in downtown LA a couple weeks ago and it could take easily 20 minutes just to grab an uber that's sitting a couple blocks away during rush hour. Also even though I was only there 4 days, sure enough during rush hour there was a high speed police chase and it shut down multiple blocks, which made our hotel shuttle buses sit for 20 minutes before they could scoot over to the curb where they could let us off to walk if we chose to.

Also let's talk about parking in LA. In Chicago, sure you could pay about $25-30 to park for the day if you drive in. In LA, you pay $45 to park at the hotel YOU'RE STAYING AT, then another $20 to park at the conference center, plus whatever other parking garage you might have to park if you explore the city (plus whatever the rental car is).

It's no wonder why people uber. We were able to nearly anywhere (group of 3) for $3-$5 ($30 to bring all of us from downtown LA to the airport).

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Great pinball title: "The invasion of all the people from who knows where!"

Followed by "Escape from LA"

#22 7 years ago

Nope ...all of you are wrong .....Mexico city traffic is the worst in the world anyone who has drivin there knows what im talking about ...

#23 7 years ago

Henry Rollins says it's Cairo.

#24 7 years ago

I've heard Atlanta is bad but have never been there.

I've never understood the desire for lots of people to move to LA. It seems like a lot of Youtubers want to be in Cali if they aren't there already when they have the luxury of doing their job anywhere. I wish people would realize that there are many wonderful places to live that are cheaper with many things to do if you look.

#25 7 years ago

Here in LA you really have to check traffic online before going anywhere, factor enough time to get there, and know when to just stay off the road if possible. Coming home to scenes like this 95% of the year though makes it worth while

IMG_0089 (resized).JPGIMG_0089 (resized).JPG

#26 7 years ago

I have to commute into Toronto every day. Leave at 6am it takes about 45 mins. Leave after 6:30 and it can take up to 3 hrs !!

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Coming home to scenes like this 95% of the year though makes it worth while

Staying close to home and not getting on the freeway unless you really have to makes it even more worthwhile.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Here in LA you really have to check traffic online before going anywhere, factor enough time to get there, and know when to just stay off the road if possible. Coming home to scenes like this 95% of the year though makes it worth while

There is one thing LA has that a lot of the other places don't, which is a vast interlocking web of freeways that cover the whole region. If you understand the layout and know how to move around it and know how to check traffic you can minimize a lot of the pain. If you can control the timing of when you need to go out you can minimize it further.

In the end of course yes it can get bad. But I have had to endure just as much traffic BS in SF, Chicago, NY, Boston and other big cities. And Washington DC is ridiculous.

#29 7 years ago

My wife and I were discussing this while stuck in LA traffic last September. Population going up and the infrastructure of highways, bridges, etc. is staying the same if not getting worse. Five lanes can't even handle the population anymore...imagine how bad it'll be in a few decades.

Traffic simply wasn't this bad when I was a kid. Gas lines, yes. Traffic, no.

#30 7 years ago

I guess I'd rather deal with some traffic now and then than blizzards, expensive heating bills, and winters that never seem to end. How's the forecast looking everywhere else right now?

KABC-7DAY_LA_w450 (resized).jpgKABC-7DAY_LA_w450 (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago

Winters in California are what it's all about.

I moved to Cali from Detroit in 90 and I am home. Dang that was a bit of time ago.

I hate the traffic but never having to experience snow shoveling again is worth the price of admission.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

never having to experience snow shoveling again is worth the price of admission.

If you ever miss the experience, the local mountains are only a short drive away. I hear the skiing is excellent this year.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess I'd rather deal with some traffic now and then than blizzards, expensive heating bills, and winters that never seem to end. How's the forecast looking everywhere else right now?

We believe in variety being the spice of life, O-din

8DAY (resized).jpg8DAY (resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago

Sergent Hunter would fix it lol

index (resized).jpgindex (resized).jpg

#35 7 years ago

Traffic is very bad for sure
    But besides volume of traffic
    Driving skills have a bit to do with it

California drivers are the worst I have ever encountered in the World

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Sergent Hunter would fix it lol

"works for me!"

#37 7 years ago

Also get off your fkn phones and look at the g.d. road, ya wankers.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

Remember, most of those drivers are rejects from other parts of the country and world.

#39 7 years ago

I use to live in so cal-the inland empire. Depending where you're going & what time makes all the difference. Going east to the desert wasn't bad at all, even when you're driving 70 miles/hr and people are zipping past you..I remember working in Malibu, and we left early because it was the start of a long weekend. My 90 mile trip took 5 hours!! The 91 has always been terrible..15 can be nasty on a Friday..

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

The 91 has always been terrible.

I don't know man...

pc-riv-1960-dt-freeway-001ac-A-800 (resized).jpgpc-riv-1960-dt-freeway-001ac-A-800 (resized).jpg

#41 7 years ago

Here's some Wyoming traffic for you.

My wife and I drove over to north Yellowstone a couple weeks ago for some fun. Met this guy just past the gates. Ended up soaking in the "Boiling River" in the snow (that's me waving), drinking beer, and watching elk and buffalo roam around.

IMG_6101.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_6101.JPG (resized).jpeg

IMG_6107.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_6107.JPG (resized).jpeg

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's been remarkably mild this winter in chicago. We had a couple light snowstorms early December, hasn't snowed since. It's been in the mid 60's the past 2 days, and will continue through Wednesday (record highs).

With that said, I still have plans to move to Oregon because this isn't the norm.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm sure the indigenous critters and native americans feel the same way about you "Being here first" is relative.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I'm sure the indigenous critters and native americans feel the same way about you

I'm part native American and 100% native Southern Californian, so I'm not sure I can relate to that.. And when I was a kid we could drive up and down the freeways without much traffic at all. If the people that came from elsewhere showed a little more courtesy and didn't act like they owned the place, it would be a much better place for those that were born here.

#45 7 years ago

The TV commercials led me to believe California needs me there tho

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

Traffic is very bad for sure
    But besides volume of traffic
    Driving skills have a bit to do with it

It really is mostly a matter of sheer volume.
    The vast majority are actually reasonable and sane drivers. There are so many cars, there is no possible way things would move at all if everyone were a bad driver. Most accept their fate and keep things moving with good behavior. However, the sprinkling of idiots and a-holes who show up in between can really mess things up.

#47 7 years ago

I met one of those idiots today. Coming back down from Big Bear on the 18 and 330, passing through Running Springs (at least I believe that is what it is called).
    Pretty much the only sort of intersection on the road. Saw two guys staying at the stop signs and I am on the main road. The one guy starts pulling into the intersection, so I had to hit my breaks and hit my horn, hardly avoided him. He hits the horn and shows me a finger.....so far so good I think. A guy that is upset that I avoided hitting him, odd, but odd people do exist. Here is where it gets crazy though. I keep on going and he pulls behind me, starts hitting his horn for a good 10 minutes with his finger out of the window. I think how pathetic. Till we come to a passing lane and he pulls next to me, cuts me of and slams on his breaks. I barely can avoid hitting him. He starts getting out of his car and I simply slip by on his right over the dirt. He gets back in and almost tries to push me off the road. It gets really bad that my wife decides to call 911, but she looses reception on connection. Luckily, it gets really foggy and he pulls over and turns around to head back up the hill. He never seemed to have intended to go my way in the first place. Just got crazy upset that I honked at him to warn him that he is pulling into my driving lane....crazy drivers out there for sure.

#48 7 years ago

Ah, the good old days....

#49 7 years ago

91 east to corona on a Friday is the worst. Agree, the non native drivers are the cause of many problems. And why do people not understand the left lane is the fast lane, and if I flash my lights at you it means you are going too slow and get the F out of the fast lane.

#50 7 years ago

Of course, despite its problems, there is no place else I would rather live.

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/la-traffic/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.