(Topic ID: 192822)

Le Tour de France 2021 - Any Road Cycling Pinheads Out There?

By Mr_Tantrum

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8B5B12FA-4C15-4682-99E4-4D6C06846946 (resized).jpeg
happy-bastille-day-with-eiffel-tower-flags_23-2148550166 (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
P1020570 (resized).jpg
96eb6706-d774-446c-a8c1-274eae28a294 (resized).jpg
53d99a5f-c6b5-4346-90a2-96b0edb68230 (resized).jpg
6EC92868-03AE-4535-ACD8-4E01F8A453EE (resized).jpeg
Cav (resized).jpg
sportograf-168961016 (resized).jpg
sportograf-104352481 (resized).jpg
IMG_3558 (resized).jpeg
Junk (resized).jpg
tour-de-france-2021-full-route-map-parcours.pdf (PDF preview)
M2030003 (resized).JPG
bike (resized).jpg
IMG_1123 (resized).JPG

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Completed my 3rd century ride just last week! From my house, to the shore. It took me just about 6 hours to go 100 miles on my bike to get to Cape May. Since I made the trip solo this year, I wrote (bad) songs to keep my mind occupied. Get ready for soon-to-be-album-hits like:
“This Road Goes On Forever”
“No One Needs a Truck That Big”
“My Ass is Killing Me”
And the summer love song hit single:
“That Runner is Pretty Cute”
[quoted image]

Impressive ride, and looks like you weren't even clipped in. To get some perspective on just how good the pros are, compare your ride to today's race where the winner completed the 123.5 mile ride with 14,764 feet of elevation gain in 5-1/4 hours.

I really don't think a non-cyclist can truly appreciate the athletic ability of these tour riders. When I was at my peak cycling shape a few years back, I did several 100K rides (never a 100 miler), and thought I was kicking butt. I signed up for a rally a few hours away that primarily went around a lake, and figured I'd have a great time. Well, that day I did about 3,500 feet of climbing, pretty much bonked with about 20 miles to go, and had the most miserable ride of my life.

#102 3 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

To get some perspective on just how good the pros are, compare your ride to today's race where the winner completed the 123.5 mile ride with 14,764 feet of elevation gain in 5-1/4 hours.

That's wild, considering I really felt like I was cruising on my ride. My elevation gain was only 2,086 feet... I really only stopped twice for the bathroom and to refill water. My only issue was a consistent head wind that really dragged me down for the last 20 miles or so.

#103 3 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

That's wild, considering I really felt like I was cruising on my ride. My elevation gain was only 2,086 feet... I really only stopped twice for the bathroom and to refill water. My only issue was a consistent head wind that really dragged me down for the last 20 miles or so.

I have a saying that whenever I ride the entire route is uphill and in to the wind, regardless of where I go - just always seems that way. Still, very impressive solo ride. Longer rides like that would be even more fun if you had 2 to 3 other riders where you could take turns in the lead. I do enjoy riding solo and clearing my head while setting my own pace, but occasional group rides are also great to up the speed and get some relief from the wind at times.

#104 3 months ago

Disappointing day for me as Sagan is my favorite rider. He's had a touch tour, especially after the sprint crash, and had to drop out today. However, his teammate came through and too the victory.

#105 3 months ago

Anyone else notice the podiums have gone PC? Usually there are always two women for each award to the side of the cyclist, but now there is a lady and a dude.

#106 3 months ago

Huge cycling fan here! Living 30 mins by boat from France means we go to watch it most years.

I completed the Etape du Tour in 2017 and 2019 where us mere mortals can complete a mountain stage for the Tour a few days before the pro's.

2017 - 202km & 3,664m (125.5 miles & 12,021ft)
2019 - 135km & 4,374m (84 miles & 14,350ft)

sportograf-104352481 (resized).jpgsportograf-168961016 (resized).jpg
#107 3 months ago

Just WOW! What a great finish by Cav to tie the TDF stage wins record today. Deceuninck has done a superb job putting sprint leadout guys on the team this year (heck, I think leadout man could have run the race today if he didn't let off the gas to let Cav pass).

Can't help but wonder what the French think about the Brit tying the record (with a great probability of breaking it).

Cav (resized).jpg

#108 3 months ago

Yes, Michael Morcov gets the MVP (Most Valuable Pedaler) award for more-or-less letting Cav take the stage win. He clearly eased up at the end and probably would have won the stage if he hadn't. But that's what teammates do, and he's proved to be one of the best ever. Cav should be buying him drinks for life at this point. Morcov's stock value as a lead-out man is sky high now. Of course if Cav hadn't gotten caught in traffic with a few hundred meters to go, the win would probably have been more definitive with no question of anyone easing off. Either way, Cav is showing his GOAT Green today. BRAVO Mark Cavendish!

#109 3 months ago

I don't think the layperson understands just how critical teamwork is in cycling, and all of the planning and strategy that goes into picking the right members who will help achieve a team's overall goals. Then there is all of the strategy that goes into each stage. Of course, then the team and the leader have to actually execute. Then there is each team member knowing their role and responsibility to use their skills and talents to support the leader at all times knowing that if they succeed and show promise, then they will get their opportunities in the future. Also, this gives the riders who are very good but not elite, the opportunity to not only participate but to contribute to team success.

When it comes to cycling, I'm not saying that some of these 4-5 hour stages can't be a little boring at times, but I think to enjoy the full ride a spectator needs to build their knowledge of tactics, teamwork, and other elements of the sport.

#110 3 months ago

Teamwork, like some of Cav's team helping him make the time limit the past few days, too, not just setting up the final sprints.

Strategy, even when to ease off for part of a day to set yourself or a teammate up for the next stage. Quintana said after today's stage that he eased up the last 10km to better prepare for tomorrow. I'm sure he did that to try to protect his KoM lead.

It's good for the sport that they have the other classifications; that gives a much higher portion of the riders a realistic goal to aim for. Your choice of GC, sprint, mountains or stage wins, plus all the "good but not great" riders who can aim to help their team win the team event or help a team member win one or more of the classifications or stages.

How'd you like the two-way drafting in the crosswind the other day with the riders all lined up not just in a row but at an angle based on the wind? When the peloton broke up into 3 or 4 groups, each spread out diagonally, it made for great aerial footage.

#111 3 months ago

Also love to ride. This is my baby

6EC92868-03AE-4535-ACD8-4E01F8A453EE (resized).jpeg
#112 3 months ago

Just came across a couple pics of this rare beauty.

53d99a5f-c6b5-4346-90a2-96b0edb68230 (resized).jpg96eb6706-d774-446c-a8c1-274eae28a294 (resized).jpg
#113 3 months ago

I hate rest days.

#114 3 months ago

Viva la America!

Very nice win today in the mountains, plus left doper Valverde in second place!

For those not aware: https://www.velonews.com/news/analysis-the-curious-case-of-alejandro-valverde

#115 3 months ago

As long as Valverde doesn't win, I will sleep at night. What a tour so far and I have just been surviving on the text feed since I was out of broadband range. I am pretty jazzed with all the cyclocrossers like Merlier, Van Der Poel and Van Aert sticking it to the seasoned roadies. I want to know if anyone in the world put a bet down on Cav winning 5 - they will make a fortune! I ride em all, CX, road, mountain but love the cross. Pic is from Mallorca a few years ago...

P1020570 (resized).jpg
#116 3 months ago

I love it that there isn’t a dominant team this year and anything can happen on any day.

#117 3 months ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

As long as Valverde doesn't win, I will sleep at night. What a tour so far and I have just been surviving on the text feed since I was out of broadband range. I am pretty jazzed with all the cyclocrossers like Merlier, Van Der Poel and Van Aert sticking it to the seasoned roadies. I want to know if anyone in the world put a bet down on Cav winning 5 - they will make a fortune! I ride em all, CX, road, mountain but love the cross. Pic is from Mallorca a few years ago...
[quoted image]

Nice! I love cycling in Mallorca, Sa Calobra in an amazing climb.

I hope to do the Mallorca 312 next year - 312km & 5,050m (194 miles & 16,568ft) That will be a long, hard day in the saddle!

https://milestoneseries.cc/en/event/mallorca-312

hqdefault (resized).jpg
#118 3 months ago

Not sure how I missed this thread before. Probably because I typically go straight to the EM sub forum.

Have been a cyclist since 1985, when I took it up to give my body a break from running. Raced local amateur road events back around 2000 as a Cat 5 then 4, but switched to time trials and multisport after that when I realized I didn't have the stomach to fight for position in the local pelotons and risk the crashes.

I try to watch coverage of just about every TdF stage and love seeing the tactics, hard efforts, and scenery/countryside. Went over to France with a few friends in July 2017 to cycle in the Pyrenees for a week and watch 2 stages of the '17 Tour. Had a blast. Looking forward to Wed's stage which goes through Luchon (where we stayed) and climbs the Cat 1 Peyresourde (which I climbed in addition to the HC Super Bagniere, which hasn't been used since the late 80s).

Loved watching the Durango Kid get away for the win yesterday!

Lee

#119 3 months ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

I hope to do the Mallorca 312 next year - 312km & 5,050m (194 miles & 16,568ft) That will be a long, hard day in the saddle!
[quoted image]

That looks like an awesomely fun day of riding (of course, I would start at the top and go downhill).

#120 3 months ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

[quoted image]

That is an awesome photo of Sa Calobra! I've never been able to capture it in any decent way. Drone? My biggest ride there was Esporles to Andratx and then the coast road to Soller, Puig Major and then the descent to Pollenca and on to Alcudia. I can't imagine the 312, I think my fun-meter would run out at 200km.

#121 3 months ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Just came across a couple pics of this rare beauty.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Any more information on that vintage TdF pinball/bagatelle? Manufacturer? Date of production? Etc.

#122 3 months ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

That is an awesome photo of Sa Calobra! I've never been able to capture it in any decent way. Drone? My biggest ride there was Esporles to Andratx and then the coast road to Soller, Puig Major and then the descent to Pollenca and on to Alcudia. I can't imagine the 312, I think my fun-meter would run out at 200km.

The picture is stolen from the internet but yes it had to be from a drone.

It would definitely be a case of mind over matter when you get towards the end but I am the most stubborn person ever so I think (hope) I can complete it!

Big day today, shame it is another downhill finish though... Probably one for the breakaway so I'm predicting another stage win for Wout van Aert.

I'm really enjoying the polka dot jersey race, a lot of teams are really going for it this year!

#123 3 months ago
happy-bastille-day-with-eiffel-tower-flags_23-2148550166 (resized).jpg
#124 3 months ago

Just an awesome ride today. Pogacar is definitely the man again this year, and a very impressive ride by the white jersey.

#125 3 months ago

Time gaps really widening now; 13th place now almost half an hour behind Tadej. Anyone think he has a chance to win by 10 minutes? What's the modern record?

#126 3 months ago

With just 1 mountain stage remaining, the gaps will probably stay about the same or even decrease some since he has the tour won. I assume his team will keep him protected, and just make sure nobody gains serious time. Also, he does have a great chance of putting a few more seconds on everyone during the TT since he won the first one.

Smallest time gap - 0:08 Greg LeMond in 1989
Largest time gap - 28:17 Fausto Coppi in 1952

Single stage largest time gap - 22:50 Jose Luis Viejo in 1976

BTW, Pogacar would be 2-0 in Tour de France appearances, which is quite amazing.

#127 3 months ago

Another stage win today for Tadej; probably has the polka dot jersey locked up now, too. I figured he might take this stage and add a bit to his lead, then add a bit more during the TT; wasn't sure if he could get it to 10 minutes or not. They'll be asking "how many tours will he win?"

The other question is will Cav win #35 Sunday on the Champs Elysees?

#128 3 months ago

Cav is going to win on Friday then smoke the field on the Champs a la “Chasing Legends”.

8B5B12FA-4C15-4682-99E4-4D6C06846946 (resized).jpeg

#129 3 months ago

Yellow + White + Polka Dot, and the kid is only 22.

#130 3 months ago

Well, another TDF in the books. Cav made a mistake and got boxed in at the end which lost him the sprint and record 35 TDF wins. On the plus side, now maybe he'll be motivated to return next year. The two young riders appear to be dominant for the foreseeable future, with Podacar being measurably ahead of the field at this point.

Cycling might be one of the few events I watch in this year's Olympics, and typically I casually follow the Velta de Espana (Aug 14). Outside of that, the Tour of Utah (July 26) is typically on my watch list.

#131 3 months ago

So much for my predictions (typical) but I am happy that my favourite rider in the peloton won on the Champs. Wout executed it perfectly, seems like Quickstep stuffed up the leadout when they got swamped with one km to go and Cav made a bad decision on positioning. I am a huge spring classics fan, I love the 1 day races but this year's tour was raced by many like 1 days which was awesome. It will be interesting to see if MVDP wins the mountain bike.

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside