(Topic ID: 192822)

Le Tour de France 2023 - Any Road Cycling Pinheads Out There?

By Mr_Tantrum

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

original_1a973602-c8aa-4b26-ad37-33a2fd729a4b_20230723_180427 (1) (resized).jpg
8B5B12FA-4C15-4682-99E4-4D6C06846946 (resized).jpeg
happy-bastille-day-with-eiffel-tower-flags_23-2148550166 (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
P1020570 (resized).jpg
96eb6706-d774-446c-a8c1-274eae28a294 (resized).jpg
53d99a5f-c6b5-4346-90a2-96b0edb68230 (resized).jpg
6EC92868-03AE-4535-ACD8-4E01F8A453EE (resized).jpeg
Cav (resized).jpg
sportograf-168961016 (resized).jpg
sportograf-104352481 (resized).jpg
IMG_3558 (resized).jpeg
Junk (resized).jpg
tour-de-france-2021-full-route-map-parcours.pdf (PDF preview)
M2030003 (resized).JPG
bike (resized).jpg
There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

Outside of Pinball cycling is my favorite hobby, and this is my absolute favorite time of year - Le Tour!

Yesterday's (stage 4) MC/PS finish was exhilarating and extremely controversial. Made me wonder if any others shared my cycling interest, and I am glued to every minute of the tour (on DVR, of course). Also made me wonder if there are any cycling themed pins out there. I'm sure nothing recent, but maybe some EM's that show off the glory of the great event. I can easily envision a modern tour themed pin, but I'm probably in the extreme minority.

1 week later
#2 6 years ago

Well - there's two of us! I'm not a super avid rider. I started riding due to crappy knees for exercise. I'm lucky to live just outside Indianapolis and can ride into the coutryside with very little traffic.

I too am oddly intrigued watching the race although I haven't seen much this year other than highlights. I'm not aware of any bike themed pins.

#3 6 years ago

I'm pretty big on cycling, but I'm not one to watch anything regarding it, and I'm certainly not skilled enough to compete. Instead, I'm pretty casual. My ride is a Trek 2.3 FX hybrid. Excellent bike with Alivio derailleurs. My only regret is not upgrading to the disc brakes. While not necessary, I like the way they feel compared to the standard rim brakes.

#4 6 years ago

I'm a suckass rider who has done a bunch of long rides with my wife. But never a century...my legs couldn't handle it. I always watch the Tour every year, but can't get to it now because I'm on vacation and the TV choices suck.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But never a century...my legs couldn't handle it

Have you ever done/considered the "Bike MS: City to Shore?" They have different routes for people who want to do different distances. I've heard it's easy since it's mostly flat and trending downhill, but I thought the same thing about their century option. I'd probably want to saw my legs off if I tried it.

#6 6 years ago

count me in - been to the tour twice - and rode some of the course including Courchevel 1850. its a blast.

#7 6 years ago

There's got to be a few of us who pinball and cycle.

For cycle related pin have a look at "Criterium 75" by Recel

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=596&picno=39052

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5127&picno=30915

I cycle for holidays because you move at a fast enough pace to get places but slow enough that you are immersed rather than traveling through. I recently rode 1,000 km from Brisbane to Sydney and posted the blog on the site crazyguyonabike which is a cycling equivalent to Pinside. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Bris2Syd for anyone interested.

I watch the TdF each year and laughed as I recalled one year that the race covered in one stage what I and my girlfriend covered in a few weeks - needless to say we consumed our share of pastries and vino along the way.

I dream of bringing my bike to the USA and cycling the TranAmerican route (Yorktown to Astoria) playing pinball along the way - maybe one day.

#8 6 years ago

Absolutely loving the tour this year. Today's stage was epic, pure racing at its best, everyone fighting, attacks going off everywhere. The fight for GC is the closest I can ever remember. It's everyone vs Team Sky. And Kittel is killing it, would have been interesting to see how he was have faired with Cav and Sagan in the race, but he's in the form of his life

#9 6 years ago

Used to be but not anymore. In 2009, 2010 and 2011 rode across Switzerland several times including parts of the Jura mountains in France and into Austria and Liechtenstein. Enjoy watching the Tour and their sheer athleticism. I've ridden 145 miles in one day but there's no way I could do that for as many times as they do.

#10 6 years ago

Big cyclist here, last year a few of went and watched the tour, while there rode up Alpe d'huez, Mont Blanc, Finhaut-Emosson and the Mosson Dam, Col de Joux Plane and finished the trip riding the Champs-Élysées.

#11 6 years ago

I'm a rider, fan of the tour, although not so much in recent years with the Sky scripted approach. Went to the tour on three occasions and rode some of the courses in the Alps and Pyrenees… fantastic riding. Wish they would televise the Giro here in the US.

First part of this year's race was a snoozer, but it's finally getting interesting.

Jody

#12 6 years ago

Glad to see some response. I've haven't missed a minute of the tour, and now we have 4 riders within 30 seconds after Froome gave up the yellow jersey yesterday (haven't watched today's race yet).

I'm the oldest, fattest, and one of the tallest in my cycling club (49, 235+, 6'3"), but still love it - plan on doing 40 in the am. I ride a highly modified Trek Madone 4.5, and my philosophy is that if I'm going to be the last one up the hill, then I should at least look good doing it, right?

Also, if you havn't moved to electronic shifting, you don't know what you are missing. Upgraded 2 seasons ago with Shimano Ultegra Di2, and absolutely love it! When weather is bad and I get out the old Trek 1.5 with 105 groupset, I end up complaining the entire ride (I know . . . first world problem).

Well, friends have dubbed me/my ride as "Shamu" due to the black & white, but I prefer "Orca" - just seems a little more aggressive to me
IMG_0033.JPGIMG_0033.JPG

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

count me in - been to the tour twice - and rode some of the course including Courchevel 1850. its a blast.

Quoted from J85M:

Big cyclist here, last year a few of went and watched the tour, while there rode up Alpe d'huez, Mont Blanc, Finhaut-Emosson and the Mosson Dam, Col de Joux Plane and finished the trip riding the Champs-Élysées.

That is definitely a dream and a bucket list item for me to make it to France during La Tour one day - very envious.

Added over 7 years ago: "Le Tour" . . . bonehead!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from tandem2:

Wish they would televise the Giro here in the US.

Can't remember, but I thought they did air the final stage. Universal & NBC Sports seem to be the two cycling channels (at least in my TV package). I also really enjoy the California & Utah tours, but outside of the grands my favorite has to be the Criterium du Dauphine.

#15 6 years ago

Shut Up Legs!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from roadshow16:

Absolutely loving the tour this year. Today's stage was epic, pure racing at its best, everyone fighting, attacks going off everywhere. The fight for GC is the closest I can ever remember. It's everyone vs Team Sky. And Kittel is killing it, would have been interesting to see how he was have faired with Cav and Sagan in the race, but he's in the form of his life

Kittle is superb, but I honestly think things would have been different if Sagan & Cav were still in the tour. I think that Cav still had a chance to outsprint him, and Sagan probably had the chance to outwit him. Don't get me wrong, Kittle still would win his fair share, just don't think we would be dominating every single flat stage like he has. BTW what is going on with Greipel? I think he may be done as a top sprinter, or maybe he wasn't clean in the past? Also, could not believe that Froome broke yesterday - man that 20% looked ominous!

#17 6 years ago

The Fianceé and I recently bought Hybrid bikes and have been loving it. Our first ride was the 25 mile Tour de Cure and I was dying. Haven't ridden a bike for probably 10 years prior. We live out in the country so plenty of easy riding.

#18 6 years ago

Everyone post pics of your bikes. I love seeing everyone's ride and how unique each bike is to its rider.

#19 6 years ago

It used to go a lot faster when I was younger and carried less weight.

20170714_191154 (resized).jpg20170714_191154 (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

There's got to be a few of us who pinball and cycle.
For cycle related pin have a look at "Criterium 75" by Recel
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=596&picno=39052
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5127&picno=30915

Very cool velodrome/track themes. Thanks for posting!

#21 6 years ago

Sagan getting kicked out was ridiculous. Last year the Vuelta was televised, that was great to see.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

It used to go a lot faster when I was younger and carried less weight.

Classy Italian style - very nice!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from tandem2:

Sagan getting kicked out was ridiculous. Last year the Vuelta was televised, that was great to see.

Agreed. Not only was he not at fault, IMO after watching the reply countless times, but what other sport would eject their most popular athlete like that - not good for business, and seems to taint some of Kittle's victories (by no fault of his own) in my mind.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm a suckass rider who has done a bunch of long rides with my wife. But never a century...my legs couldn't handle it. I always watch the Tour every year, but can't get to it now because I'm on vacation and the TV choices suck.

I've done several 100K rides, but never a true century. Big event in my area (Texas) is "Hotter than Hell" in Wichita Falls. I have several buddies who ride and keep trying to talk me into it, but so far they have not been persuasive enough.

#25 6 years ago

Yeah, Cavendish tried to put himself where there wasn't space. Rooting for Bardet here.

#26 6 years ago

Was planning to do a TdF re-theme back in 2010, which was going to include Armstrong images, glad I didn't do that. Pgh Penguins was a much better choice.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from tandem2:

Was planning to do a TdF re-theme back in 2010, which was going to include Armstrong images, glad I didn't do that. Pgh Penguins was a much better choice.

Now that's funny. I know that Lance was/is a complete horses behind for many reasons, but I don't understand the stripping away of titles when literally every leading rider was dirty. He was on top before I was into cycling, but I've gone back and watched some of his stages, and he was incredible. Heck, even today the announcers all seem to adore and root for Contador, and he was stripped of 2 TDF titles for doping. Not advocating doping here, but seems incredibly hypocritical of how the UCI runs its sport at times.

I understand that in the US, cycling is way down the totem pole when it comes to sports. However, if you take the time to learn it, it is quite fascinating to watch. The teamwork, the strategy, the endurance, the personalities, the risks, and the incredible speeds are all captivating to me. I don't think many people can appreciate what it means going 50-60+ mph down a winding mountain on a bike, riding a bike up a 15-20% grade for a half a mile or more, or the ability of an athlete to generate 45mph in a sprint using nothing but his own legs. Anyway, talking to the choir here in this thread. I'm off to watch today's stage, but keep up the conversation.

#28 6 years ago

Each year where I live we have "Le Tour De Fort". It's a pub crawl in the downtown district on bicycles. It's a hell of a lot of fun and the only "Le Tour" type of event I'll ever enter

#29 6 years ago

I've been cycling (MTB and road) for 10 years. As a cyclist I'm truly amazed at how the human body can keep going when you think there's nothing left in the tank. Then when I watch the TDF I'm in total disbelief that they can push like that for 21 stages with only 2 rest days. It's truly amazing!
Big fan of the tour.

#30 6 years ago

Yep Lance was certainly a cheat and a jackass, but it's amazing how he was singled out and banned, while many of the other riders who also cheated are still in the sport (like Vaughters, Aldag) or still considered heroes (Zabel).

I've heard that Lance's podcast is worth checking out.

#31 6 years ago

Cyclist for 30 years here. Have been in the industry for 25 of those. Mechanic, sales, framebuilder, fitter, etc...

Seen cycling make some amazing leaps in tech during those years and have made many good memories with a bike underneath me.

Even though it's more dangerous these days for road cyclists due to distracted/texting drivers, I still try to ride our local canyon roads/hills at least twice a week.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

That is definitely a dream and a bucket list item for me to make it to France during La Tour one day - very envious.

I wouldn't be to envious, the morning we did Alpe D'huez it was 41C (106F), felt like you where riding into the sun, although it was great for the descent, tarmac was super sticky managed to crack 61mph (98kph).

#33 6 years ago

Agreed, it looks like Greipel is done and Degenkolb has been dissapointing as well, Kittle is in a different league.

Froome has just nailed it, he just chips away, tactically gets it right and Aru got stuck. Aru had been excellent up until today, but Froomey's experience may be enough

#34 6 years ago

Count me in too. I had the privilege to watch the Tour de France in Bordeaux a few years ago, and more recently in the Massif Central.

#35 6 years ago

These are my two rides. Kestrel Talon - winter rider on the Trutrainers. Stock Ridley Noah RS for everything else. I'm a lightweight so I went with an aero frame on the Ridley that's a little heavier than some of the stuff out there.

kestrel (resized).jpgkestrel (resized).jpg

ridley (resized).jpgridley (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago

FYI, it's not "LA" Tour de France (which would mean Tower of France) but "LE" Tour de France

#37 6 years ago

I used to be into riding quite a bit until my back gave out in 2005.
I can still ride but have to take it easy with hills and distance. This is the bike I have:

2002trek5200 (resized).jpg2002trek5200 (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

FYI, it's not "LA" Tour de France (which would mean Tower of France) but "LE" Tour de France

Thank God you said it. I wanted to, but I take enough shit for correcting English around here. I don't need any French Police jokes...

#39 6 years ago

I cycle as an aspect fitness, I have a 12 year old yellow specialized and love it. I just rode this morning about 2 hours 27 miles in Barrington hills. I pack the Fuji cycle cross when we travel to Michigan.

I ride solo,riding friends disappeared with age and golf. There's a club but they go to far and two fast for this senior.

#40 6 years ago

I prefer to ride in the bush so I don't have to fight with traffic. You can see the red hut I'm heading to in the distance, this is in the Snowy Mountains in Australia.

IMG_1123 (resized).JPGIMG_1123 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

Thanks for noticing my typo (fixed in topic header) - I do know correct spelling, so no idea what I was thinking when I typed it (looks like I made the mistake more than once). Not sure my college French professor would be very proud of me right now. BTW, I did make an A in the class, but pure bribery. I probably deserved a low B or maybe even a high C, but at the time I was an RA in the dorm and I came up with the idea of hosting "A taste of France" night as one of my dorm events. I had my prof help with recipe ideas, and also had him come and speak to the group along with presenting slides from his time living in France. It was a nice evening, and we never said anything about it beyond then to each other. However, when semester grades were posted - voila, to my surprise I made an A in the class (I could not speak a lick of French)! After that experience I coined the saying that "There's more than one way to make an A." . . . a lesson that has stuck with me well into my adulthood and professional career.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

I cycle as an aspect fitness, I have a 12 year old yellow specialized and love it. I just rode this morning about 2 hours 27 miles in Barrington hills. I pack the Fuji cycle cross when we travel to Michigan.
I ride solo,riding friends disappeared with age and golf. There's a club but they go to far and two fast for this senior.

Yes, I have given up golf over the last 3 years or so in exchange for cycling. About the same amount of time investment, but I enjoy the road much better, get better exercise, and often spend time lone riding to release stress and take in nature. I don't believe anyone has ever "found their zen" playing golf!

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I used to be into riding quite a bit until my back gave out in 2005.
I can still ride but have to take it easy with hills and distance. This is the bike I have:

That setup looks very sporty . . . wish I could bend down that far on the bars!

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

I prefer to ride in the bush so I don't have to fight with traffic. You can see the red hut I'm heading to in the distance, this is in the Snowy Mountains in Australia.

Okay, that has some "wow" factor to it. Very cool!

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from blubboman:

These are my two rides. Kestrel Talon - winter rider on the Trutrainers. Stock Ridley Noah RS for everything else. I'm a lightweight so I went with an aero frame on the Ridley that's a little heavier than some of the stuff out there.

Haven't seen either one of these brands before. Cool to see so many different types of quality bikes. Also, you're a brave man using the roller trainer. I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine which offers sealed hydraulic resistance via strong magnets. I use it in the cold months (few around here), but wish I could be more disciplined and consistent with it.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

That setup looks very sporty . . . wish I could bend down that far on the bars!

Yeah. That was just a stock picture from Trek. I have my seat more in line with the bars because it is easier on my back. It is a 2002 Trek USPS Team model.

#47 6 years ago

Been watching Le Tour ever since LeMond beat Fignon by 8 seconds back in '89 but took a short break after the Armstrong years and all the doping scandals.
Here's my beach bike (yes, I ride on the sand at low tide), an early 90's Trek singletrack with a vintage Manitou 2 fork.
And a vintage poster hanging in my garage featuring two has-beens...

bike (resized).jpgbike (resized).jpg

M2030003 (resized).JPGM2030003 (resized).JPG

#48 6 years ago

Well, I just thought that Froome was vulnerable. What he did today was incredible not to lose any time on GC contenders. All in all, a great race weekend, and a well deserved off day tomorrow. Really sad that Porte crashed out and injured Martin in the process. Might have a completely different top 5 arrangement if they were all in. Then again, that's the Tour.

1 year later
#49 4 years ago

Been watching the Criterium du Dauphine in preparation for next month's TDF. Can hardly wait, but going to be a little confusing this year without BMC and Sky teams.

3 weeks later
#50 4 years ago

Oh man, great race yesterday. Peter got taken at the line, but I thought he led the sprint way too early. I kept thinking from the overhead shot, "where in the world is the finish line?".

There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/la-tour-de-france-any-road-cycling-pinheads-out-there and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.