(Topic ID: 22510)

LA, MS, AR: Southern Pinball Collectors forum!

By PinballHelp

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,109 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    download_(1)_(resized).jpg
    20160604_205632[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160604_185202[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160604_185158[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160604_210952[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160604_205703[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160604_205652[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160604_183245[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160604_185220[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160604_183241[1]_(resized).jpg
    There are 1,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 23.
    #651 10 years ago

Heading out to New Orleans area soon for the Louisiana SCS Tournament.
    Bringing food, snacks, ice chest w/ drinks, etc., for the potluck and party.
    Looking forward to a fun day of pinball.

Hope all goes reasonably well with this 1st LA State Pinball Championship tournament today.

Cheers!

#652 10 years ago

That sounds great.

#653 10 years ago

Any Dead Kennedy's fans also into pinball? We've got Jello Biafra coming into town this month and we'll be hosting some private events for him in the Pinchurch.

#654 10 years ago

New to the forum, mostly just a watcher. I was wondering if you can recommend any places to play pinball in Baton Rouge, LA. I have a week of training for new job and need a little practice before the Texas Pinball show. Thanks in advance...

Lance

#656 10 years ago

I'm glad to see this thread still alive. It seems to have died down. Let's keep posting in here Louisiana peeps.

#657 10 years ago

We've got a lot of things happening in Louisiana in the pinball community... I'm sorry for not posting more... let's see...

Well first off, New Orleans and Lafayette have successful bar-cades. There's talk of more barcades opening in Baton Rouge as well as a second one in Lafayette.

The LA State Championships went off without a hitch... The top 16 finalists competed in a heated battle that involved machines from every era. The winner was Eric Shafer, aka "EEE" on Pinside, who will be representing LA in the nationals in Colorado.

Among other things, at the Mystic Krewe's PinChurch, we featured a side tournament which had some interesting twists including EM and SS versions of the same game.
    pin1.jpgpin1.jpg

Unfortunately for Eric, the first place winner did not receive a hairbrush.
    pin2.jpgpin2.jpg

Side tourney winners are focused and serious.... we showcased some new, custom tournament software I wrote that projected the tourney stats in real time on a big screen.
    pin3.jpgpin3.jpg

Mike Cousins samples a homebrew hard cider brought by another club member.
    pin4.jpgpin4.jpg
    Only ssserious pinball be-yond this point... verry sseriious

#658 10 years ago

So what's going on next?

Well, we've got Jello Biafra from the DKs coming into town next week. If you don't know who Jello is, it's safe to say some band you idolize considers him one of their major influences. I've known him for awhile and I'm psyched he's back in town and we are going to have hella fun!

The Mystic Krewe's PinChurch has been rented out for the members of a super-group of bands to practice for a big show that's happening in New Orleans at Siberia on March 2nd. A few years ago, on a dare, Jello agreed to participate in a pick-up-band consisting of various players from other groups in the region and create a fun retro R&B group + Jello's unique punk-rock-sensibilities. The end result of Jello Biafra and the New Orleans Raunch & Soul All-Stars, including musicians from bands including: Cowboy Mouth, Dash Rip Rock, Mojo Nixon, Down, Supergroup, and Egg Yolk Jubilee Horns.

For those who aren't familiar, Jello is a huge punk rock icon... He's on par with the Ramones, Sex Pistols and Iggy Pop.

see:

Here are the guys from System of a Down and Foo Fighters covering Jello's music:

In the tech community Jello is considered one of the avatars of the freedom-of-information movement:

#t=50

Here is a show he did a few years back that I helped produce:

The two weeks before Mardi Gras in New Orleans are going to be intense. Jello's bringing his crew into town and will be taking over our "PinChurch"... we are trying to set up a private party in the space at some point for interested peeps.

#659 10 years ago

Sure looks like things are going great pin church. Would love for a barcade to open up in LC. We've talked about it for years here.

1 week later
    #661 10 years ago

I saw an ad on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago about an old EM around Fort Polk that had critter-chewed wiring, then it disappeared. Today, I saw this on CL:

lakecharles.craigslist.org link

Best guess is he saw what a mess it was and decided he didn't want to fool with it... who knows? I'd get it for myself, but I won't go $200, I don't care what he says the backglass is worth. I know you folks are mostly into the newer SS, but if there's an EM junky out there like me, here you go. If you need someone to do the work, I can usually be had for small amounts of cash and large amounts of beer. It just might take awhile.

#662 10 years ago

Keep the backglass ($50, not $200) and let TNT Amusements throw it off the roof of their bldg and video it.

#663 10 years ago

Jello Biafra from the GSM and Dead Kennedys... hanging out in New Orleans during Mardi Gras playing pinball at the PinChurch...

jello playing funhouse.jpgjello playing funhouse.jpg

#664 10 years ago

The PinChurch turned into studio this week....

jello at pinchurch.jpgjello at pinchurch.jpg

Musicians from DK, Guantanamo School of Medicine, Iguanas, Dash Rip Rock, Egg Yolk Jubilee, Mojo Nixon, Supergroup, etc.
    jello at pinchurch2.jpgjello at pinchurch2.jpg

#666 10 years ago

That game showed up on Baton Rouge CL and lasted about an hour before the ad disappeared.

1 month later
    #667 9 years ago

So here's an update on what's going on in the Louisiana area....

We've got an IFPA tournament scheduled for Saturday May 10th... this will be a team-based competition using PinGolf rules...

pingolf-slate.jpgpingolf-slate.jpg

For details and to sign up, visit: http://mystickrewe.com/tournaments/pinchurch-pingolf-2014/

The PinChurch is coming along nicely... we've now got so many games we are looking to partner with someone in the local region to place a bunch of games on location -- stay tuned for that. We're hopeful that at some point New Orleans will have a high-end public pinball parlor. In the meantime anyone interested in learning more about our projects can visit the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Pinchurch Anyone interested in our pinball club can visit: the web site: http://MysticKrewe.com/

Today was a fun day... we had Tommy Malone from the Subdudes in the arcade. He's just finished a new solo album and is back on tour both with the Subdudes and his solo band. He's using our studio to rehearse, and in late May he's going to do a live performance in our arcade/studio that will be streamed live over the Internet... I'll post more details on that as we hash out all the technology and details.

tommy_malone_pc.jpgtommy_malone_pc.jpg

1 week later
    #668 9 years ago

This week has been a total blast.... it's one thing to have a great arcade and cool people to share it with, but with Jazzfest going on, all kinds of people have stopped in to the club. Since we've also got a studio here, it's seen a lot of action with bands coming in to rehearse..

Check out The Subdudes - the original group that hasn't performed together in 17 years:

Excuse the crappy quality.. phone video but little snippets..

Their take on the Chi LItes "Have You Seen Her"

3 weeks later
    #669 9 years ago

Here's a copy of the live cybercast we did last week for anyone interested...

In the future we're going to have more shows like this. Everyone loves the combo of pinball + live music.

1 month later
    #670 9 years ago

Been awhile since this thread has seen much action. What's up Louisiana?

tiger bump gif 2.giftiger bump gif 2.gif

#671 9 years ago

I finished shopping my Star Shooter cocktail. I bought it to use as a coffee table, but it won't go low enough, at least not without some major surgery to the cabinet. I'm not super crazy about the game, but I will say it plays a lot better after shopping. Amazing what new rubber will do. Since I can't use it as a coffee table, I'm thinking of selling it off. Any interest locally?

#672 9 years ago

Hey browne. You still need to come to one of our pin parties. I think we are planning a few of them for July, will send you an invite.

#673 9 years ago

Man I would love to join you guys! Let me know the dates!

I am still working on starting up the BR Club with SwampMan. Probably going to hold meetings at Barcadia in Baton Rouge once it opens.

#674 9 years ago

Gathering tomorrow with the north LA group.
    I would love to come to one of the South gatherings. What do you have planned?

#675 9 years ago

Kingnine and Arcade are hosting a pinball tournament in Beaumont, Tx on Sun July 13th. They started a thread on it, and have a Facebook pg w/ details.

#676 9 years ago

I'm still at it on the Northshore (aka, the great pinball desert). Found out there's a filthy Shrek and a filthy RCT at Johnny's pizza in Mandeville. There's enough dirt on the Shrek playfield that the ball can actually get stuck in the mud.

I've been busy working on restoring my Nitro Ground Shaker playfield. What a mess.

#677 9 years ago

Hey Guys! I have three empty stern pinball boxes about to go in the trash, free if anyone needs them! Pick up in Lafayette, LA

#678 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hey browne. You still need to come to one of our pin parties. I think we are planning a few of them for July, will send you an invite.

Yes, please do.

#679 9 years ago

Our weekly social gatherings have started to pick up steam...

pcc1.jpgpcc1.jpg

Last night we had a fun gathering with about 15 people. We picked up 4 new club members this week.

pcc2.jpgpcc2.jpg

In the above picture you can see my latest pickup, a Slick Chick that I've been rebuilding. It had a bunch of burned out coils, bent relays and mis-wiring but it's coming along nicely.

I built a special stand-off for my SUV so I could haul 2 machines at once.. first test was successful

pcc4.jpgpcc4.jpg

The first video from the concert that we've used all the HD cameras and editing has been finished.... Everybody really enjoyed having live music in the place and we're going to be doing more of these parties in the future with different acts as they come through town.

pcc3.jpgpcc3.jpg

Here's the first edited video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YZR7dVABMnk

#681 9 years ago

Hey guys, pairing down the collection - by a few games -

http://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/13412

#682 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Kingnine and Arcade are hosting a pinball tournament in Beaumont, Tx on Sun July 13th. They started a thread on it, and have a Facebook pg w/ details.

Here is the link to our GCPC page. Just click on events at the top to go to the tournamnet page if you want to come. Full IFPA points at this small tournament!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/583327081782969/

#683 9 years ago

Hello southern neighbors, I haven't posted in this thread but I'm from Little Rock AR and have a ST premium, and a hobbit on order, anyone is welcome to come over and play if you want, just let me know.

I also wanted to post I found location pinball in Little Rock! A nice playing avatar is at the Big Rock Mini Golf & Fun Park which is the old gator park location, where the go carts were not the mini golf. its a really nice place with a decent arcade, mostly redemption and the one pinball game, they also have guitar hero, and a DDR. They redid the main building and it is very very nice.

#684 9 years ago

Hey there little rock. Sounds nice. Love my ST.

#686 9 years ago
    Quoted from fluffybunny:

Hello southern neighbors, I haven't posted in this thread but I'm from Little Rock AR and have a ST premium, and a hobbit on order, anyone is welcome to come over and play if you want, just let me know.
    I also wanted to post I found location pinball in Little Rock! A nice playing Avatar is at the Big Rock Mini Golf & Fun Park which is the old gator park location, where the go carts were not the mini golf. its a really nice place with a decent arcade, mostly redemption and the one pinball game, they also have guitar hero, and a DDR. They redid the main building and it is very very nice.

Just curious, where do you buy your machines. I'm here in Fayetteville and I pretty much have to go to Tulsa. They deliver and their service has been good, so far.

#687 9 years ago
    Quoted from jamesdeloris:

Just curious, where do you buy your machines. I'm here in Fayetteville and I pretty much have to go to Tulsa. They deliver and their service has been good, so far.

I got mine from JJ at Game Exchange of Colorado, he is one of the stern dealers on pinside, Tulsa or Dallas would be the closest actual dealer to me, but after driving, renting a trailer, and all of that it was just easier for me to have it shipped in. My Hobbit I got direct from Jersey Jack and it will be shipped in as well, not too worried about it after the first delivery.

3 weeks later
    #688 9 years ago

Bumping this thread to see whats going on...

#689 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Bumping this thread to see whats going on...

Cool.. ok, here's an update from Louisiana...

Last Saturday we did a fundraising tournament for the IFPA Project Pinball charity... we had a full house, 5 teams of 4 playing the PinGolf format... had peeps from MS and all around LA come in - was a great event, we had a drawing and gave away a $900 mini-laptop PC with a SSHD to a random participant.

I got the second video edited from our pinball+music show last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xKIvLFvHyX4

Our group in NOLA is actively now looking to partner with a local business group to open a large-scale public arcade. We've got a few leads on that.

We are hoping to have a big presence in Houston for HAAG, perhaps even throw a party there after hours.

#690 9 years ago

I know a local person (Baton Rouge) trying to sell a POTC HUO for $4500. If that sparks anyone's attention send me a PM.

#691 9 years ago

Can you play pinball at the pin church daily or is it open for events only?

#692 9 years ago

I believe it is only open for events.

#693 9 years ago

Lots of games, not a lot of action here. Some get together with the Shreveport-Bossier and Texarkana groups. I plan a get together after school starts back up.

#694 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Can you play pinball at the pin church daily or is it open for events only?

It's not open to the public. But we've been known to open the place up for visitors (especially if they'll donate something to help with maintenance). I just had a Pinsider from North Carolina come visit last week while he was in town - real nice guy.

#695 9 years ago

You guys rely solely on donations?

#696 9 years ago

So where is the best spot to play in NO if pin church not open?

1 week later
    #697 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Cool.. ok, here's an update from Louisiana...
    Last Saturday we did a fundraising tournament for the IFPA Project Pinball charity... we had a full house, 5 teams of 4 playing the PinGolf format... had peeps from MS and all around LA come in - was a great event, we had a drawing and gave away a $900 mini-laptop PC with a SSHD to a random participant.
    I got the second video edited from our pinball+music show last month:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xKIvLFvHyX4
    Our group in NOLA is actively now looking to partner with a local business group to open a large-scale public arcade. We've got a few leads on that.
    We are hoping to have a big presence in Houston for HAAG, perhaps even throw a party there after hours.

That's awesome. Pinball Project is a great charity. Will y'all be having another fundraiser for them this year by chance?

1 month later
    #698 9 years ago

Checking in. Not much action in here lately. What's up Louisiana? Who all is going to LSU game this weekend?

#699 9 years ago

I Will be there. My pin buying has been put on hold die to engagement ring saving. Still play everyday though. I am alsostill working on getting BR Club organized. Barcadia BR should be opening around the Alabama game and I am wanting to hold meetings/tournaments there.

#700 9 years ago

I had a little pinball fun last weekend when I conquered my first Williams system 6. Been fighting with a Laser Ball off and on for a while now. One of those sentimental jobs...girl and dad played a lot, dad is gone, machine hasn't worked in years, mom wants to surprise girl with running machine. Lots of problems, but there's no reason to worry with any of them until I got the computer running. I was pretty excited (relieved?) when I finally got it to go into attract mode last Sunday. It's alive!!! It! Is! Alive!!! (insert maniacal laugh here). It still has a few electronic problems, like the flippers are still active in game over mode and one of the lamp column drivers is dead. And there's TONS of other work to be done, the stuff you'd expect on a machine that's been in storage for years. But progress is being made.

At first I thought I wanted to be there when they gave it back to her, but maybe not. If she looks at it, says "that's cool", then turns around and walks off, I'm gonna be pissed.

That's all I got.

There are 1,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/la-ms-ar-southern-pinball-collectors-forum/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.