• Latest reply 1 year ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

twcode.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I vaguely recall many months ago reading a post about someone selling an "L-3" version of the Time Warp game ROM that fixed the issue of the background sound stopping after draining normally (intermittently, most notable when the left outlane is lit though) or when a drain occurs without any points scored. Anybody here know recall that and if so got a link? Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I have them in my TimeWarp.

You have to replace the Game Rom and one of the green flipper ROMs. I think this fix was created by Seymour Shabow who posts on RGP. There might be a scoring bug introduced by this fix, a few of the pop bumpers score a different value than the others, i have to check against the factory game ROMs to make sure. Anyone using the L3 rom notice that???

I have it saved on my PC at home. If you send me a private message with your email, i can send them over when they are home.

Andrew

#3 8 years ago

In the L3 ROM. The top left pop scores 10 pts when unlit, 1000 pts when lit. All the other 4 pop bumpers are 100 pts unlit, 1000 pts lit.

I have to do an in game test of a system 3 MPU later tonight. I will throw stock time warp ROMs in and see what happens.

Andrew

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

In the L3 ROM. The top left pop scores 10 pts when unlit, 1000 pts when lit. All the other 4 pop bumpers are 100 pts unlit, 1000 pts lit.
I have to do an in game test of a system 3 MPU later tonight. I will throw stock time warp ROMs in and see what happens.
Andrew

Cool, keep me posted on the results. I guess the pop score glitch isn't so bad as the 1k when lit works like it should. Seems like that would be a super easy fix though for whoever fixed the background sound.

#5 8 years ago

Interesting... I thought it was just my time warp that stopped the background sound on a random ball...

#6 8 years ago

I did not get a chance to test the scoring bug on the factory rom yet. I will this evening.

Andrew

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Interesting... I thought it was just my time warp that stopped the background sound on a random ball...

Wow. Me too. I've been chasing that for a couple years now...

So just a rom update will correct this?

#8 8 years ago

Yes.

If the outhole switch closes twice, the background sound stops. If you have a sluggish outhole kicker, you get this bug often.

I hate the background sound, so I have it turned off.

#9 8 years ago

L3 does introduce the pop bumper scoring bug. I checked the factory rom and it is not present there.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I hate the background sound, so I have it turned off.

Burn the Witch!

#11 8 years ago

Anyone i sent the L3 rom to try it and confirm the pop bumper scoring bug? Not sure which bug is worse... the losing the sound or having one pop bumper score 10pts instead of 100.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Anyone i sent the L3 rom to try it and confirm the pop bumper scoring bug? Not sure which bug is worse... the losing the sound or having one pop bumper score 10pts instead of 100.

I'm curious if there's a way to open this file up and poke around? I tried notepad++ but that was a no go. Not sure what program you could use to edit code from 1979. Someone did it for the background sound fix so it must be out there.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

I'm curious if there's a way to open this file up and poke around? I tried notepad++ but that was a no go. Not sure what program you could use to edit code from 1979. Someone did it for the background sound fix so it must be out there.

Any hex editor will allow you to open and edit the file. Of course you have to know what you are changing around when you do that since it looks like this:

Time Warp codeTime Warp code

viperrwk

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

Look up Seymour Shabow on RGP. He has done numerous code adjustments.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

You need the HEX extension for ++. Ultraedit is good and there a bunch of free HEX editors out there.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Any hex editor will allow you to open and edit the file. Of course you have to know what you are changing around when you do that since it looks like this:
Time Warp code
viperrwk

I was able to get the Hex Editor in Notepad++ to work and I must say this looks like some fugly stuff to work on if you don't have some type of reference material. I suppose if you have a burner you can change one value at a time and test the effects to get an idea but that would be pretty tedious.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

I was able to get the Hex Editor in Notepad++ to work and I must say this looks like some fugly stuff to work on if you don't have some type of reference material. I suppose if you have a burner you can change one value at a time and test the effects to get an idea but that would be pretty tedious.

Pinmame. Virtual. Keeps stuff from blowing up too, and you can turn off the checksum off cause you'll have to recalculate it if you're gonna do any rom hacking. Never ever burn a rom and stick it in a game if it hasn't been verified virtually first.

#18 8 years ago

You need more than just a hex editor. You need a disassembler to disassemble the hexidecimal mess to a "readable" program with mnemonics (opcodes and operands) so you can analyse the program flow. You also need to reverse engineer the hardware......e.g. the base address of the switchmatrix PIA is $3000, for the display PIA $2800 and so on. With that information you can analyse what is going on in the (interrupt based) program and manipulate it. My hat off for people who took the time to reverse engineer the whole thing and make adaptions.....it takes A LOT of time.....

Marco

#19 8 years ago

If you wanna get started, here is a little packet I put together when I was working on Badcats:
http://thedefog.com/pin/bcedit.rar

Has pinmame with the debug version so you can watch CPU cycles in real-time & a dissasembler in that RAR file. Keeping a single sound from playing should be a good first hack because it requires just knowing where it is and getting rid of it. If I had more time, I'd gladly do it for you. MarAlb is correct though, you still need to know the memory address and you need to know the info on where the read & write is happening to change it.

3 months later
#20 8 years ago

I confirmed the L3 has a bug with one of the pop bumper unlit scoring. It is divided by ten. Probably not a big deal

7 years later
#21 1 year ago

Just so everyone knows... the fixed one (background sound) without the scoring bug is on ipdb, as L3.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/G9Zsd16gOag/m/ClXi-bmXBQAJ discussion of rom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/l-3-time-warp-game-romfirmware and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.