Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Stern takes a lot of crap in this forum - some they may deserve - but I wanted to start a positive Stern thread

I was comparing my TWD (which I still love) to current machines and they have really upped their game.

LCD integration is great. And yes, maybe they were pushed in that direction by JJP - but I think their integration with the smaller LCD is better (I am not knocking JJP - love their stuff also)

Also, A+ for current art direction - for years pinside compalined (and rightly so) about the photoshop artwork. TWD art package is nothing to write home about and I think GOT is horrible miss, but art on recent Sterns is awesome - GB, Deadpool, Munsters, Beatles, Iron Maiden

Hiring Keith was a great move - I am about to get an Iron Maiden based on gameplay/layout alone and it was never on my Radar

I think they are heading in a great direction and can't wait to see what they come out with this year.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

And yes, maybe they were pushed in that direction by JJP

JJP has nothing to do with it, But I agree Stern is making great games, for my money the best that have ever been made. IMaiden, nuff said.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

JJP has nothing to do with it. It was inevitable that LCD's would take over. You guys need to realize Stern isn't even slightly threatened by JJP. I'm glad they are making pins but ur talking about 6 or 7 pins every 2 years to 1. But I agree Stern is making great games, for my money the best that have ever been made. IMaiden, nuff said.

Agreed. I would say JJP accelerated Stern's move to LCD, but it would have happened eventually.

Eventually.

#4 5 years ago

Stern has an all star team of designers and coders and management. They aren’t perfect but they make killer games, game after game. They are the king of pinball right now period and thats not going to change anytime soon. Gary Stern deserves better than what people in this hobby treat him like.

#5 5 years ago

Topper delays, code delays, rightfully deserved. YES YES

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Topper delays, code delays, rightfully deserved. YES YES

Never said nor implied they were perfect, no business is.

#7 5 years ago

And they have been keeping every promise they make! Oh, wait..... My Ghostbusters has been waiting two years.......

#8 5 years ago

Wow...

If I would have posted a TWD comparison to modern Sterns I would have stated quite the opposite, as an owner and collector.
    Gone are the days of heavy cabs, tons of toys, theme integration on the playfield, code being reworked if needed, premium parts etc.

I miss the old Stern way of designing pinball. The art is fantastic these days and not even worth a comparison, everything else has suffered in my opinion.

#9 5 years ago

Stern is inconsistently good. Some of their games are great, others are not, some have excellent code support, others do not, there could be no quality issues one month, and the next cabinets are splitting, one game may be loaded up with featues, the next bare with two plastic ramps and little else.

Have things improved at Stern? For sure. Are they consistent in terms of quality, offering value for the price they are charging, and completing deep and unique code in a reasonable amount of time? No.

Still waiting on Ghostbusters code to be completed 26 + months later.

#10 5 years ago

I will always give credit to Stern and Gary Stern for having kept the pinball industry alive worldwide for almost two decades.

#11 5 years ago

Sterns are the best bang for the buck, especially with the prices of used 80s and 90s games nowadays. You can't beat mid $4ks for a used Stern Pro. I'd say second is CGC with their remakes, love my Sterns and AFMr.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

Wow...
    If I would have posted a TWD comparison to modern Sterns I would have stated quite the opposite, as an owner and collector.
    Gone are the days of heavy cabs, tons of toys, theme integration on the playfield, code being reworked if needed, premium parts etc.
    I miss the old Stern way of designing pinball. The art is fantastic these days and not even worth a comparison, everything else has suffered in my opinion.

I was thinking the same thing concerning TWD actually.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern is inconsistently good.

as apposed to what company exactly? this applies to almost everything.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kudos-to-stern-2?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.