Topic Stats

• 4,444 posts
  • 291 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by kruzman
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you are going to do a pf swap on a game, which option best describes your opinion between a NOS and a repro pf”

• Only want an nos pf even if the total cost is going to be more 41 votes
    53%
  • reproduction pf 8 votes
    10%
  • which ever is going to be cheaper 29 votes
    37%

(78 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1113 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_1114 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_1112 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_1111 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_1110 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
20240325_123739 (resized).jpg
20240325_123729 (resized).jpg
20240325_130328 (resized).jpg
20240325_130312 (resized).jpg
20240325_130300 (resized).jpg
20240325_130236 (resized).jpg
20240325_130218 (resized).jpg
20240325_130213 (resized).jpg
20240325_130203 (resized).jpg
20240325_130143 (resized).jpg
20240325_130119 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #103 Kruzman Kit details. Posted by kruzman (4 years ago)

Post #420 Ron offers drill and dimple service for your playfield if needed. Posted by kruzman (3 years ago)

Post #551 Mirco IJ after Ron’s magic to it. Posted by kruzman (3 years ago)

Post #1196 How to care for a Kruzman clearcoated playfield. Posted by kruzman (2 years ago)

Post #1272 jjGnR: Cost and process of fixing Mirco's bad playfield clear Posted by kruzman (2 years ago)

Post #1277 jjGnR: Summary of Mirco playfield problems Posted by kruzman (2 years ago)

Post #1296 The reason Mirco/JJP clear is soft and tears, explained Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1548 Ultimate Alternative Cuss Words Handbook Posted by kruzman (2 years ago)

Post #1727 Instructions for using Ron's Clear Kit. Posted by dmacy (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I should put a little card on the back side of pfs for when people die, their family will find that says this pf

I was actually going to ask you to sign/mark somewhere under the apron on my Meteor PF (under the clear of course), so that 20+ years from now, it'll be there for posterity.

Asked HEP to do the same on my TZ PF, but he didn't have time to.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

This is exactly what I want right here. I want a 3 inch sticker of this to put on the back or under the clear. I just have to figure out how to get it from the screen of my computer to a printer shop. busy busy busy

Can help if you need it - I have a printer that can do those, they did the Meteor decals.

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I can provide a high-quality file of the logo if you help with printing, I just pushed a lower-resolution one in this thread for Ron. Thanks.

Oh heck yeah, that'd be easy for my guy to do.
Forward the full-res if you can, and, kruzman - how wide do you want it? 1, 2, 3, 4 inches? Bigger? Smaller?

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

If the rule was not spending more on the restoration than it is "worth" there wouldnt quality restorations of much of anything except hemi mopars, TAF, and thats about it

I paid Neo $1000 to touch up and clear a Williams Big Ben (EM, '75?) playfield. The game's worth not more'n $300 normally. No way I'd be able to sell the game and get my money back. But - I don't care. I really enjoy the game, and wanted a nice PF in it!

#491 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

On a side note:
That EBD playfield has the initials to the two pistils.
I have a later version of the playfield and the initials are removed.

Huh. Anyone know why they were removed?

1 week later
#526 3 years ago

Hey all -
Quick update. Sorry I've been out of touch the last week, had several things going on that tore me away from here.

Decals for Ron have been ordered. I will grab a shot of them when they arrive - hopefully next week. I ordered 90 for him, which should last him a while.

1 week later
#546 3 years ago

Holy hell, I'm trying to get the deals to you ASAP, and just in this day alone you finished one. Fffffck.

#547 3 years ago

Got a proof from them Friday of last week. (Technically they did say 'during the week', so they didn't break their promise.) I spoke to them yesterday, and told them to drop-ship the decals straight to Krusman. They'll arrive via FedEx, no signature required, hopefully on or before Friday.

#549 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

That will be so awesome. I am really happy to have these. thank you so much again!!!!!!

My pressure! Looking forward to seeing it on my Meteor PF.

#556 3 years ago

I forgot, Ron -
Do you try to stick to just clearcoat and dimpling work? You try to stay away from PFs that may need inserts touched up or artwork patched, right? How do you determine if a PF is worthy of your touch, or if you'd rather pass?

#558 3 years ago

Huh. Interesting to hear. It makes sense logically, as I am familiar with those indentations that the mounted things (posts, metal guides, etc) all press into the wood. And with the amount of repros out there now, some of the older games I understand it's just better to go the repro route.

It's why I did NOT decide to get my original Meteor PF restored - the time and effort (and $) would have outweighed the issues with the CPR field.

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

This is especially true with the early SS bally and stern pfs. If there is no scratches or scrapes ,clear and the back are 650 for reg size
100 to reglue the inserts
200-300 to level and paint the inserts.
If you are not a purist, or a nos type of person, then a repro is quite a bit cheaper, unless they need more than a clearcoat. Maybe the repro maker forgot the script in front of the drops? Or drilled extra holes around the pop bumpers or some crazy stuff like that. Still that is cheaper than fixing up on old SS era, nos PF

Oh, no. These are WPC-era (TZ and WCS) prototype fields. Look like they don't have ANY clear. Inserts very slightly raised but a lot cracked. So, in either case, this is something for later. Next year.

#565 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

who is a "pro" with cars

*snrk* I know a lot of people who are 'pro' at cars, and still can't tie their shoes.

2 weeks later
#601 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I took some detailed pics of this pf I have for sale so a prospective customer could see the issues (I think this was made in 1981). Anyway, the one I wanted to point out which is hard to see but is a potential deal breaker, is there is a line where the 2 pieces of laminate but up against each other. The laminate is the high grade, paper thin, piece of wood glued to the top of cabinet stock plywood. Its very common, and after 30 or so years it will start to show. Its not a functional problem, just aesthetics.
On this pf look between the 400 and 500 inserts on the bonus counter area. The line is slightly right of center, and its not horrible but its there, and I wanted to point it out to the person asking questions about it.
So I repeat; its not a joint of the plywood, but the laminate. Its not structural, though it needs to be painted.
I will mention, but try not to sound like an ass, but when you buy pfs from someone, who is not goofy for pfs, he is not going to mention this. 50% of people dont know what it is. I get a lot of pfs shipped here to clear and fix up, and when it is one that I have for sale, MOST of the time it comes with a lot of surprises and cost more than the one I have for sale. Sometimes its less, (very rarely) but then it needs a lot of work bringing the price up.
Occasionally its very nice, and cost less than mine, and it bums me out that the seller didnt call me... ha
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Huh! I learned something - that's what's happening/wrong with my OEM Meteor PF in my game. Never knew that was the reason. Cool.

1 month later
#648 3 years ago

Honestly, I'm wondering if, for some reason, they had to re-do the silk screen. Or had two made for different PF manufacturers?

I see a lot more small changes, too -
For example, the "100", "200", "1000", "2000" inserts on the left side of the playfield. Look at the White->Yellow->Orange->Red layers, and you'll see tha tlines are different. Easiest difference to notice, the red/yellow to the upper-right of the "2000" insert.

The one without the "MIKE" has a better orange/red dithering on the planet popbumper at top.

I like the 'stop light' difference by the extra ball / open gate lights. And just below that, cloud arts missing. Down below, it looks like one playfield missed the yellow screen in front of the spacemen, and the cloud pattern, while closely similar, does have differences..

And, of course, the large white badge that reads:

GEIGER
AUTOMATENBAU
G.m.b.h.

My guess is that some fields may have been sent overseas?

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

There is the Gieger automatenbrau badge on one and not the other (left side of center)

Of course, I was studying before I realized Ron pointed out the same thing. Heh.

1 week later
#669 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

No pics of pfs, but my inspiration to do the pf work
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm shivering just LOOKING at that. Brrr..

#677 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

If you are wondering about the undistorted reflections, my ceiling is 4x2 sheets of styarofoam, and the light fixture is the porcelain basement fixtures without pull cords.
One of the ways they grade proof coins is the reflection at distances. this table is at 40 in and the ceiling is 8 foot.
[quoted image]

Is this the one I sent you for 'payment' in doing the Meteor? If so, I really like Pater's work. Added with yours, of course!

#684 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

also the meteor got its last coats, in the last couple days. It just has to cure a little while and I will sand and polish it.

WOOT! Thanks!

1 week later
#699 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I don’t see ACNC very often. Somebody should just snap this up.

FTR, Spooky has a whole stock of them, if you want a NON-Kruzman one, you can simply call them up and have them ship you one.

Though, keep in mind, like I said, its *NOT* a Kruzman model.

#702 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I did not know this. do you know if they have any other titles available? I thought that ac was really rare and special. well it is to me

When I was there, they had TNA and ACNC PFs in stock. I would not be surprised if they still do. ACNC is on my short list to get to go along with my game.

#705 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Nice to know. I figured they were hard to get. Why can’t Stern make it as easy to get a spare PF?

Honestly, I'm not sure how difficult it is...

When Ghostbusters came out, I wanted to look into getting a playfield - I called my local commercial distributor (Betson's Pittsburgh location), and asked them for a quote. They sent me a quote in email. At the time I didn't take advantage of it, but I could have.

Personal, private collector distributors, no. Need to talk to a commercial distributor.

3 weeks later
#743 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I have a NOS scared Stiff available here if anyone wants the real deal.

Jeeesus, you are tempting.

#764 3 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

The last two CPR fields I've installed - Medusa and Fathom - had the "gobs of clear" issue with the star rollovers, and I believe I saw that on a Centaur as well from a few years back. I used to file the clear out of the openings with a very small needle file, but there's too much risk of breaking the clear free from the insert surface. Now I'm using an X-Acto knife to shave out the clumps.

I saw a post recently - and at the moment I cannot recall what thread it was in - where someone tried to clear out their star rollover (from CPR) and ripped off/broke a whole chunk of clear. So it happens.

Edit: Ah, found it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-rollover-button-housing-filled-with-clearcoat-on-cpr-playfield-#post-6128492

3 weeks later
#818 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

It had an odd finish. there was no gloss to it and I could feel the depth of the different colors on top of each other, especially the black.

Interesting!
My prototype WCS and TZ playfields are like this.

#823 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I think its a proto type thing where they screen a coat of some thing to protect the ink and make it "water proof" either lacquer or poly on the later models. Not positive but on wades repros, the early stuff he did seems like his last screen was a coat of clear. super thin.
I only use norton blue sand paper. its about 1.20 a 6 in disk!! and yes I go thru about 15 disks per job sometimes more. sucks!!!!

Interesting. Still want to send these two protos to you to clear and protect. Just gotta wait until I can afford it.
Frankly, I want to hear your thoughts and comments on both of them as you take care of them!

#828 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I got distracted, what I meant by where's waldo, is the difference between the proto and the production,. I was all excited when I got a sttng proto (this was 10 years ago, and it had a ball hole for the neutral zone that was huge. There was no way it could be used in a reg game. had a couple different insert names also. It was cool either way. traded it for a game called Striker (sys 80- ) that I wish soo bad I had now.

I figured that's what you meant.
I know, what I believe to be all the differences in the TZ proto/sample/production. Including CNC cuts and such. But I would be really interested for you to go through it and see what all you can find that varies. SOme are obvious ("Jackpot" instead of "Camera". No "Clock Millions" center target, and so on..) but some aren't - a certain post moved. Slight color/screen changes, etc.

For the WCS, I've operated those games, but never owned one, so I know some of the basic differences, but certainly not all.

The TZ one won't ever go into a game, because of hardware/art differences. However, the WCS one, I likely will install in a game, once I add that game to my collection.

#832 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

for example. with TZ there is the extra mag, and they have a kit to install that. are the other differences close enough that it can be installed?

TZ Prototype, not without some serious wood work.
TZ Sample, yes.

Prototype had too many other differences under the field that would cause issues without some serious wood-working. The Lock area was changed, as was the mounting and shape/cutouts for the Piano Scoop and Clock mount. The Clock millions insert and target is completely missing. No holes to mount them. The plastic that's against the wood rail next to the pop bumpers was moved/size changed, so things won't fit there without drilling new holes. (I'm ignoring all the artwork differences at this time.)

#834 3 years ago

Forgot to add that the post holes around the Rocket kicker were all moved around as well, requireing new holes to be drilled. (Interesting fact! Know why the Rocket plastic extends out so far? Because the plastic was never reshaped when the new post locations were designed. The tip of the plastic used to have a hole to secure to a post..!)

#859 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I forgot to write down the date on this one for one of the people doing some research on the differences. I will post it tomorrow. It seems like every pf has a buttload of mylar, and each piece has at least one bubble to screw up my photographs.
There is a scratch on the keyline around the door insert, and a little scratch in the drain area in front of the apron
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ron -
I'll take this TZ field. With you clearing and dimpling it.

That one is an early sample. Has the usual tell-tale sample signs on it (green lock insert, etc.) but it ALSO has a fully-green rocket arrow pointing to the main lamp. This was changed earlier in sample run to green/white, before the lock insert was changed.

This is the field that MY game has, and my playfield was not cured right back in the day, and is woefully soft. It was redone by HEP in '16, and is already starting to show issues. I never thought I'd find another NOS playfield like it to match what I had to be able to keep my game as it was from factory. (Mirco's 3-magnet field does not have some of these artwork differences eaither - he just slapped a 3rd magnet hole on a production field.) Other small difference you will notice include a post hole over behind the UR flipper, with artwork cut out around it that was removed, and a whole bunch of T-Nut routings on the underside of the field.

#862 3 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

You got a decent playfield you swapping it out with? Might be interested in your old one. Unless you plan to use this as wall art.

Hah! Fair enough. I didn't jump on it last night because I wanted to make sure it matched mine.

I would have an old one, yes - however - and this is why I'm looking to replace it:
My playfield is 'soft' - like it was never cured/dried properly. So when I GOT the game, back in '96 the rocket kicker was completely destroyed. See pic. This was due to a slingshot kicker arm mounted on the rocket kicker - that top lip would be adding downward pressure on the ball, which, over 3 years in operation, caused the divot to be SO BAD that the rocket kicker started to LAUNCH the ball into the air and HIT the main ramp crossover wireform. Other ball-drop areas were soft as well - I could feel the wood give under my finger, and where the main ramp drops the ball off at the left inlane switch, the wood was completely torn up there too. Slingshot and other posts that need to be tightened down were slowly sinking into the wood. Those 1/4 wood hex screws? At least 2/3 were stripped and wouldn't hold, and needed bamboo support. Some more than one bamboo skewer.

The fix in the image is some wood putty I found that was from the late 70's - I do not know what that crap was, but lemme tell you - it lasted at LEAST 12 years without falling apart. In '12, it started to crumble, and in '14 I contacted HEP to re-do my playfield. I paid a LOT more for him to re-do the PF instead of getting one of Mirco's reproductions, because as I previously mentioned, there are artwork/color differences that Mirco did not include when he made his (what he calls 'Sample') playfield.

HEP finished my playfield and I installed it after letting it cure, and it's starting to show issues already, sadly. I had come to terms with having to get a non-exact repro to put in my game, and just keep my early-sample on display as a memory. Until I saw this posted.

Note though, if you get it! There is ONE incorrect insert on it! See if you can find it.

DSCF0038 (resized).JPGDSCF0038 (resized).JPG
#866 3 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Thanks! We'll that and he lives like 20 minutes from me. One day I'm gonna ask for a favor... he can't refuse. Lol.
I honestly wouldnt appreciate it as much as he would.

Seriously, I'm wondering why I haven't raided your gameroom. Or even met you in person yet.

MUCH appreciated, I will owe you.

Assuming Ron even wants to sell it, of course!

#874 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I have sent the pics and prices for about 15 of the nos pfs to tommy the webMasta.
Here are the ones that will be up today
totan
TafG
creech
sttng proto
demo man
FT
JD
corvette
Jackbot
BSD
road show
no fear
Indy 500
AFM proto/sample
champ pub
scared stiff
shadow
dr who
I am working on the rest right now. The sooner I get them wiped, photo's, and uploaded (then tommys work on the web site) the sooner I can get back to life and clearcoating and whatever I do.
I am always open to offers on pf prices, but I am going to wait a month before I make any crazy deals. MANY of these will still be available is a year.

Wait, you have a webiste?

I know I sound like I'm joking, but.. I am honestly not. I always just thought you did things via email and pinside! Oy, I feel dumb.

#876 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

pinballplayfieldskruzman.com

Awesome! I feel like a friggin' moron now.

#878 3 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

aw shucks, makin me blush.
Hope he gets it! Agreed, its well deserved if he does.

Yup, we worked out a deal. It's mine. He's going to hold it until he can get to it, dimpling and clearing it. With all the jobs he has lined up, I likely will not get to see it for a year, but I am more than okay with that, as (1) I know it's getting a good treatment, and (2) I have other projects I'm working on *anyways*, so I'm not in a rush to get it.

I am debating whether to slip it into my game relatively shortly after getting it, *OR*, letting the one CURRENTLY IN my game wear out a little more. Both have their advantages, sadly.

My guess, too, is that this employee likely saved the one from the 'first batch' of all the PFs made. Which means that they are ALL likely samples or very early production fields. While the Road Show pictures haven't been posted yet, nor the WCS, I would not be surprised if they are posted and have their little tells. So if anyone has their 'grail game' that they want a piece of history from, I would look closely and jump on these.

#883 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

maybe just a mistake, but I figured they just chucked them. hard to tell.

Posted in the WCS thread that the WCS is a late sample, early production, as it has the two right-outer loop switches, but does NOT have the numebred (1, 2, 3) kickback lane inserts.
Same for Road Show - it has the hole and artwork mask for the center post, but it does not have that 'Mardi Gras' insert. (Instead it properly says 'New Orleans'.)

#886 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

move up to west michigan and work with me! Not a lot of income, but every day is kinda fun

Sadly, I am deadly allergic to snow and cold. Otherwise, you got a partner.

There is ONE playfield I have yet to be able to have ANYONE answer about a difference -

X-Files. Some playfield I've seen have had clear inserts in front of the ramps.. A lot others have colored inserts. ALL colored were installed games. In loose playfields I've seen both kinds. Still can't explain it.

#888 3 years ago

Damn, dmacy , that looks gorgeous.

1 week later
#918 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

So when the inserts get old and cup they pull away from the edges of the wood. here is a paragon that is going to be a lot of work because the cracks all have to be filled and sanded and painted. The star roll overs get quite brittle. one of them had 2 broken tabs on the underside. If I wouldnt have realized that in the prep, it would have been sucksville after it is all done and time for install
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like the screens were off during printing, too? Wow.

I love all these pictures. I've always thought PF's were a work of art. Wood, paint, and routing and lights..

#939 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

you could mistake me for a 92 year old polish woman

You're *NOT*?!

2 weeks later
#959 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Maybe you are a tec and you want some work for cash or trade,I have a lot of games that need work. About 10 games, ranging from somethionmg I bought and never plugged in yet till I have time to shop it and make it play good, to some little simple stuff, like a line of gi lights are out on my dr dude

Dude, if I was anywhere near you, I'd take you up, and offer playfields as payment.

And, serious question - on that first image, of the "SPACE" inserts with both red and black text on the inserts. Is the keylines on those touched up? The black keylines look 'blacker' than the black on the letters. Not badly - I just noticed crap like that.

#961 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

They are blacker.
But that is because the sanded clear makes the black under look fuzzy or lighter.
I have 9 different colors of black. I always have to remember to write on the pf which number of black I am using. I match the black color by spitting on the pf to see the actual color. Then when I clear it, the 2 are as close as I can get them. Only 2 or 3 jobs in 13 years have I seen that I didnt match the black right.
I think that was what you were asking?

Yeah, that explains it. Just.. I wasn't imagining it.

#974 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

they did the special text was print it in white, then put a square of orange over the area

Wait, that was on purpose?! Holy hell.

1 month later
#1058 2 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Good luck getting a PF from Stern unless you have connections or it’s a warranty issue.

Easily done.
Call an operator distribitor's parts department. Tell them you want a price on a 'game' playfield. They will either be able to tell your te amount right off, or call you back. By 'operator', I mean NOT PInball Life, CPR, CoinTaker, or all these collector/hobbyist outlets, but actually operator (gaming, vending, etc) distributors.

It's how I got my Ghostbusters PF and Deadpool PF.

Note that you'll need to order these while the games are still 'new'. I mean, you can't call now and expect a FG playfield..

3 weeks later
#1126 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

AND I forgot who owns the FH. Please let me know when you see this. the name is on the pf and I just wrapped it all up nice and neat. so if I have to I will unwrap it

If noone claims it, it's mine.

3 weeks later
#1164 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I have been told by some folks they like seeing the work.

Honestly, for this old dude, it's better'n pr0n. I love it all.

Quoted from kruzman:

I have to figure out a design. I am thinking of a way to make the rare or in demand.

Two designs - one that anyone can get, and then one JUST for folks that have installed your PFs. (Because while I have your Meteor PF, it's still at least a year away from being installed, and I wanna shirt.)

1 week later
#1211 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Its truckers fault!!! Truckers must hate america!

A good friend of mine is a driver, and they have nothing to do with it - other than there not being enough. He's getting run ragged trying to keep up with his dispatcher, who's sending him all over the place. On top of that, the ports are far behind as well, because of both labor, and the lack of available truckers to come pick up loads.

#1218 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Its truckers fault!!! Truckers must hate america
I know its hard to tell if i am being sarcastic, but I am on that one for sure. my grandpa and dad were truckers. I know there is a shortage of truckers. In my area, for the last 5-10 years there has been a shortage of people who will work period. Its not covid here. The last 10 years you cant pay people to work. for me its just means opportunity and being resourceful, but man its frustrating.

Yeah, my friend's company upped their mileage pay ten cents in the last 2 years, and he's still stick of the shit they're doing to him; he's looking into leaving and going into fuel delivery - more money and better set hours, heh.

Quoted from kruzman:

here is a bummer.I finished this pf, and upon inspection, I just noticed for the first time, there are a couple areas of little microscopic pitts in the clear. less than one coat thick, they either come from humidity or the clear drying too fast from the heat. It happens occasionally, but I tried like heck to get a pic of them, they are just in 2 areas and I dont think they can be seen. in one pic I can see the texture of my ceiling. Its in the middle area around the center pop bumper I am going to take it outside and see if I can get it to show, because right now, in the house, I cant find it. The pf still has not been cleanedand then the final "one over" with the polisher
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Huh! I admit that I never thought that "drying too fast" would be an issue!

#1229 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I seen the one they call "Kruzman" once.

This is on my bucket list. Honest!

#1234 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Well here is a crap sandwich on a tue afternoon.
when this pf came in, I noticed that on one side, the top laminate was not glued down fully. another words the glue was not spread well and they missed some area. it just seemed to be the edge and about less than 1 in going in, so I injected glue in the spots where I could get the needle or exacto under the thin top laminate. I blocked with wood blocks and clamped. I thought problem solution.
A couple months later/today its ready for the final block sand and polish, and it feels like there is a run in the clear. I have never had a run before, but maybe I moved it too fast, so I am sanding like hell and I cant get rid of the high point, until I hit wood. I would think it would level out in the clear before i hit wood. then I realized the area which is about 2 in wide by 8 long can be pushed down with my finger. so I am happy my clear gives and doesn't crack, but the bummer is there is an area in the middle of the pf where the top laminate didnt get glued down also and I didnt notice until now.
I posted the first pic a couple pages back when it happened.
Unless I come up with a better plan, I am going to drill a couple holes and try to inject some glue (its not as easy as it sounds. I have to go get a big gauge needle that the glue will pass thru, and hopefully be able to save this one. I got 10 coats of clear down on it, but I have sanded it to the wood in that area, so best case scenario I will have to do like 4 coats, and then start where I was today.
if its not one thing its another.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Oh, fuck.
How common IS that? Is it more prevalent on older OEM fields, newer repros, or?

#1255 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

My ex was like this and she had Bordeline Personality Disorder. The animals were like 1000 times more important to her than people. It’s sad really, so insecure and wounded inside that they can’t trust people anymore. Cat lady syndrome.

And since mental health care is generally so shitty or expensive people like this don’t get help and can keep hurting those closest to them.

Interesting My ex was very similar. Had some sort of paranoia memory issue ("deja vecu"), which made her extremely unstable. We had a kitten that we found when it was 2 weeks old, raised it by hand. By the time we split up (she made claims abut how I treatd her decades before we actually met), the kitten - Tink - at ten years old kept her centered and a little more sane. So I let her take Tink with her.

Five years later, and I worry more about the cat than I do my ex.

Quoted from kruzman:

a bunch of pfs ;hanging around... making trouble. See if you can find yours

Nope, mine's not in the spotlight. Yet.

Quoted from kruzman:

Got some pics of pfs with last coats
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What is that third one, with the archer?

#1257 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Thats Solar City. there are a couple titles with that lay out. Its drop target heaven. Some of the old gottlieb lay outs are just perfect. They would make 2-6 titles from one pf, then like this one use it again 10 years later. I think that the same lay out as my eldorado city of gold?

I like the layout and the art. May have to look into that one..!

#1286 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

People are cheap in the weirdest ways.
Also, if it was so easy, why aren't they doing it themselves?

This this so much this.
I see people all the time going, 'I'm going to do it myself!' and then they're proud of their work, and I can see the ball rolling sideways in an uneven spot. Something like this, I KNOW I can't do, and would rather pay someone to do it *right*. In reality, even though Ron only has one of my fields at the moment, I have at LEAST.. uh.. 3 more to send him, FFS. But IMHO? Totally worth it.

#1288 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Just because you have a hammer you are not a carpenter. check your ego.
But what do I know. heck if it makes you happy, so be it

Okay, apparently I can't attach an animated GIF. Darnit. Had one of someone hammering a screw in, and figured that fit here.

ezgif-4-56a6ca0939ff (resized).pngezgif-4-56a6ca0939ff (resized).png
#1293 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Before uploading the file, you have to select PDF/GIF (no rescaling) f

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Thanks for that! I'm an idiot.

#1303 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Got the stitches out of my foot. No infection!!!

Oh, good news!

#1316 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

The exception that comes to mind is the gentlemen who bought that sample TZ pf said he had to have it and he was not bullshitting. I forget his name down in texas, crap. anyway he is a rock star compared to to the usual big mouth that has to have it.

Hey! I got the early sample PF from you! So that makes two of us!

Quoted from kruzman:

But come on, only one up vote for a pf this rare?

This is interesting to read though. When I visited Spooky a couple years back (Sept '19), they were making ACNC's. I had put in my order for one, but hadn't gotten it yet. I asked about buying playfields from them, and they said, "Oh yeah, we have them available!" and pointed me to a huge cabinet where they had piles of them sitting on their sides, like a vertical map drawer. This was before RnM, and maybe they assumed I was meaning only ACNC because I was an owner, but I got the impression that if I wanted a PF, I could get one.

Sadly, while not a huge RnM fan, the PF to me is very less interesting to me than, say ACNC. ACNC's art, there's a lot going on. RnM here doesn't have the same feel to it to me.

Don't get me wrong - I AM interested in the ACNC field you have. But with you currently set to work on ONE of my TZ fields, and then taking care of my ptototype TZ field, I already owe you my first-born! I can't afford to give you any other kids. At this time, at least.

#1319 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

crap, WV, texas, same thing

HAH! We have better Covid contrl than Texas, at least.

Quoted from kruzman:

I think the RnM game sold out really fast, and thats why I couldnt get a pf.

Interesting. If I WAS an RnM owner, I would be more comfortable knowing that replacements were available! If this IS that rare.. maaaan, hold on to it.

1 month later
#1469 2 years ago

Repeating what others say - mistakes happen. Sometimes you need to learn from them. Other times? You already knew better and it just slipped being caught. I run into the same thing at both jobs I have - and one is rather dangerous where as, if I screw up, people could die.

As far as overbooking, I personally don't have an issue with it. I'm never is such a rush that I NEED a playfield cleared and fixed up immediately. I always plan one or two games out in advance - I JUST finished my previous game, and next will be the Meteor that you did for me - and that I received back in Feb of this year. By the time I get that done and up, I figure you'll have been done with my TZ. I'm assuming others do this too - and if they don't, they really should.

#1486 2 years ago

Okay, I fucking laughed out loud at that. Well done, both of you.

1 week later
#1522 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I do not, a customer was super cool and made me some thing to put under the clear, but they are waterslides and my clear puckers them up. (when I use them on an insert, I always paint on top of them. Plus they are a bit transparent in that use).
So I have always wanted a sticker to put under the clear like mirco, but I havent got to it.
Often people will email me to see if it is actually one of mine, and often it is not. Though when it is one of mine, not only can I tell by the clear, or remember the customer, There are lots of hints like my packaging, the back side, the fact that it been sanded and compounded, but there is no compound in the sides of the holes. Lots of little things. So until I get a sticker to put under the clear, you can email me for any info.

I need to get with you and figure out a way for this to work. I'm still bummed that the waterslides didn't work.

#1526 2 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

You have invested enough. if you can get the same thing but stickers on clear back ground I will pay this time.

Preferred thickness? Or thicknesses to stay away from?

And no, you won't pay. You'll just take off the small amount from a future PF job.

5 months later
#1884 1 year ago

I admit, I've been mostly offline since January, due to deaths in the family and having to deal with fallout.
I was worried, more than once, that there was going to be a post here from Ron going, 'Who the f*ck does this TZ belong to?'. ..

I'm SADDENED that it hasn't come up yet.

However, seeing all the pictures of these WIPs and final playfields, ghods, they're all beautiful. Makes me want to spend all the money I don't have to increase my 'collection'.

Ron, hope the date went well.

1 month later
#2062 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

First I am dimpling both sides.

Don't focus on the dimpling on the TZ too much. There are (some) hardware differences between the Sample and Production PF on the upper side. (For example, in sample games, the shooter lane and metal guide for the rocket catch lane (behind the UR flipper there) are different.

I'm sooooo excited you've started. I need to start sending you money again..!

1 month later
#2127 1 year ago

I admit, I've always loved that game. I can understand how folks may think the clown is creepy, but.. I've always liked circus-themes.

1 week later
#2151 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

so no pf porn for a little while

Sorry, but ALL PLAYFIELD PICS are playfield porn!

#2155 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

any support for that or is it dumb?

I'm for it, but I admit, I'm as much of a geek over playfields as anything else. The combination of wood work, art, and light? .. Yeah, can't beat that. Even seeing something like a completely sanded front to a PF, with just the inserts there is neat and draws the eye.

#2158 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I have 1 or 2 of those that are nos. Just wood and inserts. dont know the title

Post them. People here will figure them out.

1 week later
#2179 1 year ago
Quoted from Ant-H:

I’ve been meaning to post this for a while, but I received my newly clear coated TAF playfield from kruzman about a month ago.
It’s is absolutely awesome!! The clear is unbelievable.
Ron sent it over to me in the UK via UPS, which actually only took a few days. Also the crate used to ship the playfield is top notch. I think it could withstand a lot of punishment during transit and the playfield would still be perfect.
Thanks again Ron
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is fuckin' PORN. My god..

2 weeks later
#2242 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I honestly feel this pf is priceless, even though I sold it for 17 or 1800$. Its one of the prototype 3 mag pfs. I dont know how many were made. The cool thing is, it is going in a proto game!!! Its like putting a motor in a 63 vette and finding one with the correct numbers. Its about impossible. When this game is done its going to be something special.
Ready for paint work
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

EARLY SAMPLE PLAYFIELD, going into a EARLY sample Twilight Zone.

Once I get this from you? You will be getting an ACTUAL pre-prototype playfield, that will NOT be going into a game, to preserve it. ❤️

I can't friggin' wait.

#2248 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

In fact I would like to remind everyone that the angle of this thread is pfs. I put my work in there to fill time gaps, and also so folks what pfs are like out of the games. I realized thats what I should look for stuff to photograph, rather than just a pic of the whole pf.

Honestly, like I've personally said before, I love any and all PF pictures. I find them all gorgeous how the wood, paint, and light makes the 'art'.

Quoted from kruzman:

Will you please share your knowledge on how they did proto's and samples, about how many were made. You said before that the arcade you worked had one of the samples. Do they call you and ask how its going or did they come in and look at it? I know it takes a lot of time to write, and i know you told your story once all ready on this thread, but I would like to know more about samples/protos in general. also does the seril number mean anything to your project? So when you have time, I think it would add to this thread a lot.

Certainly - and I can keep it in a spoiler tag to not distract from the PF pictures. My knowledge is from the early/mid-90's, and with WMS/Midway, so other mfgrs and times, things may have been different. But this is long. Only unhide if you want to read. I get really chatty talking about this crap.

This is general rambling about samples and test games..
« Spoiler! Click to reveal.
Game's being designed, whitewoods are made, things are laid out. Yay. Whitewoods were two or three usually, as far as I know.
Then once things were laid out, prototype games were made. usually a handful of these were made - usually under ten, and they were set up for the folks to mess with and work on - like Pat would get one set up in his office, Ted would get one and so on. One or two MAY be shipped out to larger distributors, for display. (Apparently this was a thing with a couple German distributors, from what I've heard.) These prototype machines did NOT usually have serial numbers assigned to them. As far as playfields go, maybe a handful of playfields are printed up - maybe one or two extras (discvout for larger quantites, and 'undoing' some changes during development, etc.)

Then early samples are made - between 50 and 150, and they are given to test locations (via local distributors). Test locations get these for a few months as production starts to ramp up (parts ordered and manufactured, first run of playfields ordered, wiring harnesses made, cabinets made, etc..). As a test location, we had to do a couple things:
1. Record game earnings each week. Used the Printer interface to print out all reports and forward to a fax number.
2. Report ANY ball hangs or tech issues, including stuck/jammed coin mechs, etc..
3. Report other 'similar games' earnings (pinballs, in this case), and their gains/losses compared to when this test machine was brought in.
We would get the game 'for free', and in return once the 'test' period was over, we could purchase the game at a discount.

Changes are made back at the factory, feedback is taken and final tweaks are made, and the game goes into production.
As far as serial numbers go, back then AFAIK, except for prototypes, game numbers were semi-random, or apparent-random and didn't mean anything. (i.e. if your number ended in 0234, you didn't necessarily have game #234 from the factory. The best way for that is to look at the game's Mfg Date on the FCC label, really. Samples may/sometimes had a different game prefix number (first 5 digits of the S/N), but this number would change depending on the order specs. (i.e DBV ready vs 3-coin door, 220v, etc..)

As far as serial number on the PFs.. I can't answer that. I never asked, and never ever ran into why. I know the UV-printer serial numbers (visible under UV light) were for tracking games to make sure one distributor wasn't selling outside their area, but am not sure about the barcode decal in the lower left of the playfield.

And some details about how T. Zone playfields fit into that..

As Ted stated in one of his interviews, back when the game was in very early stages, they had to get a mock playfield set up for the marketing photos. So they threw together some basic ideas for the playfield, and sent it out to get it produced. This specific design of the playfield was used in the flyer, as well as other marketing pics. You can easily tell it from others as it has a door panel insert labeled "PLAYER PIANO". Other differences include a red Camera insert with 'JACKPOT' on it, and a red 'DEAD END' insert. (There are a LOT of other differences; these are the easiest to spot from a distance.) I do NOT know how many of these were made, OR, if these specific playfields were used in beta games - I've heard varying reports, and pictures of one prototype game I saw had properly-named Door Panel inserts. There's stories of Pat taking a drill to his prototype game to make a "Clock Millions" target. (And, in fact, is in place on the flyer - you will notice on the flyer that the clear insert has no text.)

Then the samples were made. The first run of samples have the third magnet hole (like all samples), but has alternate coloring at the entrance to the main ramp. Early samples have the right spiral insert labeled as "GUM BALL" (and nod 'SPIRAL'). Our test game was shipped with it saying 'GUM BALL', and at one point a tech from the distributor came in with a knife, and scraped it off - he was supposed to replace it with a decal that says 'SPIRAL', but.. he lost it, and never installed it on our game. (This game is now the one in my possession.. when I had THIS playfield clearcoated, I specifically told them NOT to put the decal on it - to keep it's uniqueness.)

Sample fields were updated - the third magnet was kept, but the colors changed at the main ramp entrance, and the spiral insert was corrected. LOCK ws still green. This is the most common type of 'Sample' playfield out there.

And then production fields happened. LOCK was changed to the orange color. The autofire ramp was changed, and a few other small things were changed. There's reports of the pup-bumper posts, getting changed in and out during production. My take on it is that they were removed back during the Sample phase, but one PF manufacturer didn't remove the drills from their CNC setup, so I believe that playfields from one PF maker always had them, while the otherwas sent new drill files and they were removed. No basis behind this, but that's my belief.
»

Okay, I ramble far, far too much. And apparently, 'spoiler' tags don't work well. Sorry 'bout that.
The field you're doing for me is a very early sample - it has the wrong colors in front of the Main Ramp, 'GUM BALL' on the Spiral insert. Other difference include T-Nut countersinks on the underside for ALMOST all posts. A couple moved posts around the metal autofire ramp..
Once I get that field from you, I'm shipping back one of the VERY FIRST playfields - one that was printed with the wrong Door Panels, red inserts in DEAD END and CAMERA, and more. I'm actually very, very curious, when you do this one, what you'll find that *I* missed. This one can't easily be put into a game, as this one NEVER HAD the 'Clock Millions' target drilled in, and the Rocket Kicker posts are wrong. It's COMPLETELY uncoated - there is NO clearcoat on it at all - you can FEEL the layers of ink on the wood. My desire is to get it touched up (storage causes a few tiny little scrapes in the ink), and clearcoated to protect it.

#2249 1 year ago

As for those PF serial numbers - not sure if/what they meant anything, more than inventory checking.
The one you're doing for me is numbered 977600. The one on my game is 032161 - thought the decal apparently missed the last two digits:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2251 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Its such a trip that you got the original game that was in your arcade way back then. It would have been a crime for the pf

This is a whole story in and of itself. The short-short version:
I was the tech. Back then the company sold under-performing games to employees (at huge damn discount). Our DM hated me, because my pinballs made more than his did. before I left, told him when TZ came up for sale I wanted it. He wouldn't let me have it. His store took it from mine then. Years pass, I get my own, production TZ. Move out to Colorado. Friend calls me from Atlanta, '[Distributor] has a Sample game in the back! Maybe you can get it!' Call my old sales-guy and ask if we can swap games. He asks if my games are still as clean as they were when I worked in Atlanta, since that game was in for nothing more than ashop job. Yup, I say. He says to show up at 5:30am Monday. I spend the weekend driving my TZ back to Atlanta. 5:30, show up in the dark, meet the sales guy. We swap machines, I drive back to Colorado. Open the game up - it's f*ckin filthy that I don't notice the missing insert text. Open the cabinet and find a pink piece of paper with a phone number. Call the number. ... It's my DM's store. I laughed. Loudly. And then hung up. Sadly, they severely mistreated the game though, playfield was trashed. This game is never, ever leaving my possession.

3 weeks later
#2323 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Bunch of pics today. first is a mata hari restore kit that comes with a pf that I tweeked and cleared last year. Comes with custom oak side rails painted red, A kruzman install kit, Heavy duty shipping crate, and a set of new CPR plastics.
If you are interested or have a question, PM me.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Freakin' GLASS, man.. that's gorgeous.

#2349 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I shot some quick pics as I was heading out to lunch.
here is the long awaited sample TZ with the inserts painted and locked down with 2 coats of clear
[quoted image]

Need to start sending you money again. Whoohoo.

#2350 1 year ago

kruzman -
Was rewinding through this thread and looking at all the pictures. Something occurred to me to ask..

Do you put any clear on the BACK of the field, for any kind of 'protection'?

#2352 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Yes, I sand and use polyurethane. Automotive clear doesn't soak in, it sits on top. The key is to seal out moisture as well as make it so the finger prints wipe right off and the wood wont grab dust.
usually 2 coats.

Awesome, awesome. Good to know.

1 week later
#2365 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I HAVE NEVER PLAYED 9 BALL!!!!

Ho. Ly. Crap. The horror.

I get the feeling it's your type of game. You'd love it.

1 week later
#2391 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Those serial numbers where designed to control operators from
buying games outside of distributor regions.

I was told long ago that the "hidden" UV numbers were for that purpose, not the visible barcodes? (Since distributors could easily just cut the barcode off - which I HAVE seen back in the 90's - and couldn't really do anything with the hidden 'UV' numbers.)

2 months later
#2484 1 year ago

Nice! Who did repro WCSs?

#2486 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

This one is from CPR. It looks pretty good, though I did have some quality concerns with the skin tone color-matching. I made a post somewhere about it with some comparison images I took, but now I can't recall where. The WCS owners thread, perhaps? Anyway. I actually like the skin tone color of the "mismatch" better, so no real cause for concern there I suppose. Other than that, she looks pretty good. The nice clearcoat helps

Nice! Didn't know they ran a repro of the game. I have an NOS prototype that Ron will eventually get to do, that I plan on putting in a game.. but it's good to know there are alternatives!

1 week later
#2519 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Its that time of year where I plan my work around the weather. The good thing is it changes pretty quick. The bad thing is it changes pretty quick.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

F8ck, I'm cold just looking at that..

1 week later
#2549 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This second picture confirms something I've thought but was never confirmed ..
The very early samples had the post near the bottom pop bumper a lot closer to said pop bumper. In the playfield in my game, the hole appears to have been patched - AFTER the CNC work, but BEFORE the printing was done! This field it doesn't look like it was patched.

It looks goooooooooddd... I'm drooling.

1 month later
#2617 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

So its pretty slow here if any one wants to send any work, let me know

I sent you my TZ Prorotype, and was planning on sending you my WCS Prototype after the TZ was finished. However, I can go ahead and send it to you now if yo uwant, in the crate you made for my last TZ field? :mrgeen:

1 week later
#2626 1 year ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

They are watching u Ron making sure your doing a good job lol

... Just waiting to get cat hair in the final clearcoat layer.

#2634 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

The last couple mirco pfs to come in are warped enough that it worries me a bit.

Wht's the main cause for warpage? Humidity? Storing it wrong? Or just the wood used?

Also wow, that ink on the text is really, really blown out. Huh.

#2655 1 year ago

Interesting. I have never seen a CLEAN Catacomb before.. now I'm really damn into it.

#2669 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I just unboxed this, and its so beautiful, I have to post a pic. It is nos and was cleared by me 4-5 years ago. Its for sale. I havent priced it yet, but I will entertain offers if I can sell it fast. I love this title, but I will never own or afford this game.
I have 2 more to open that I got from chad. (mentioned a page or 2 back)

Holy F. If I wasn't about to head 1200 miles to the west of me, I'd be alllll over this.

#2673 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

The speakeasy made of resin, I have is pretty rare.

Wait, what is this??

#2678 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

You haven't run into the Bally plastic playfield experiment yet? They look great but the parts all fall off the bottom with use.

I .. have not.

And well then, now I know to stay away. Hah. I actually have some kinda plastic Bingo playfield I got for a project. I've never used it in a game tho!

#2698 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

That's one of the reasons I don't play in many tourneys anymore. It's supposed to be fun, not something where the loser throws chairs, hits walls, swears at the top of their lungs, complains about machine setup, calls the ifpa president if a ruling doesn't go their way, etc.
The newer players coming up see much more classy about this when they lose.

I admit, I like playing to have fun. I rarely participate in tourneys for this very specific reason.

I lucked out - where I am now, a lot of the locals here like to have little informal competitions, and everyone has a good time during it. We haven't had a chair thrown, yet!

#2726 1 year ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Thanks! I’m pretty sure it’s nos. I’ve never seen a repro with that stamp on it.

1. Stick it under blacklight. Does it have a hidden S/N?
2. I don't think CPR OR Mirco ever put the barcode on the outlane there - and I only seen Kruzman do it once.
3. The colors are pre-TAFG. As far as I know, CPR never made them that color. Mirco did tho.

I, too, am voting NOS. The hidden barcode would be the verifyier.

#2728 1 year ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Pretty sure the hidden serial number was only on the gold version and I’m pretty confident it’s not the TAFG version.

That's not the TAFG version, I agree. No, tho - the TAFs I had on location back in the day had the hidden serial numbers on them. (Can't say that ALL did? But mine did..)

2 weeks later
#2826 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

So does the customer strip the playfield completely down top n bottom n send it to you or just send it like it is thanks.
I have a ghostbusters I’m thinking about. Can you get art print by it’s self n we buy it from u

YOU need to strip it, and send it to him. Once you get it back, you re-populate it.

1 week later
#2880 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Would be happy to have a Kruzman seal stamped on the bottom of my playfield

He has a logo that he puts on playfields now.. But for playfields already done, not sure what you can do.

1 week later
#2929 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Yep Ol lou is an interesting cat. or was one. This album is New york. back in 88 it was one of my fav albums. I remember that and keith richards solo album were about all I listened to until nothing's shocking came out from J's addiction. At the time i had a yamaha r9 with those cerwin vegas with the 15 in woofers. I was very loud in the off campus housing (plus a drum kit and I kept my motorcycle in the living room, by driving it thru the sliding glass door, and would get ripped and start it up)
This quicksilver and 9 ball both came out perfect. I cant find a flaw or anything I dont like. super happy with how that came out the QS needed the top 2 roll overs key lined and a 3/8 in hole drilled. The 9 ball was fine. Both only got one coat of poly rolled on the back, but I am not taking any chances messing around with them
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

F*ck, I love the green on that field..

1 month later
#3106 11 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Who can ya call.....?
your lawyer
Your momma
suicide prevention hotline
GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is this for a client, or are you going to be selling this beauty?

Asking for reasons, of course.

#3110 11 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

And Coyote, your friends and family got a hold of me and I am not allowed to sell you any more pfs, until you deal with your addiction

NO. I need more wood art.
And trust me, I've looked at the fields you have. (MULTIPLE times...) And am tempted on about half of them. There's a few you do NOT have that I would drop a pretty penny immediately, tho - Ghostbusters, Data East JP..

#3129 10 months ago

Back in the WPC days, not all fields had art that had the game's model number on it.

As I told a few others - I believe it's a mid-run Sun Process playfield. (Note: I accidentally mentioned it was LencSmith in statements made previously to folks...! I just mistyped; brain fart.) Based on the dates, it could be the FIRST run of SP playfields for the game - I do not know of anyone having an SP sample or proto field.

That would explain the lack of a model number, and the missing pop-bumper post holes. If memory serves, SP used their own file types for the wood work, and they also modified all the art-files to include "-SP" in the WMS part number (reference - plastics). So my educated and somewhat shot-in-the-dark guess is that it's a first-order from SP.

Why it was never used? .. Can't tell by looking at photos. It COULD be a 'test field' from SP for the WMS quality guy to approve before an order was placed. That would also explain the multiple date stamps on the edge of the field.

Again - conjecture. Having seen the photos - art-wise it looks like a d@mn good field. If I had a production-run TZ with an NOS field in it, I would freakin' seriously consider this field over a Mirco reproduction.

1 week later
#3149 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinballemporium:

I have a first run screened playfield that has a much better finish

Looks already sanded by Ron, which is why it's hazy..

1 month later
#3236 8 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I mixed some lipstick in with tommy

Out of context, and this could be taken completely the wrong way.

2 weeks later
#3264 8 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I have found a group of nos and repro pfs that I need to put together some big money for.

Dammit, I'm scared to see what you're going to get. Because likely there will be SOMETHING in there I want.

1 week later
#3302 8 months ago
Quoted from mrwolfau:

i have been told by beehive pinball they will have both original stars and stars 2.0 playfields done in the next few months if that helps.
Cheers
Matt

I hadn't heard of these guys. Is there other info somewhere?

#3305 8 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

2 or 3 pages back is pics of a beehive stars 2.0, with my clear. Its completely different art, very cool, but I guess he is making the original also. I am told its a one man operation, a fella who retired. I dont know how to get a hold of him but I haven't tried google.

Quoted from RCA1:

Or here:
https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/stars-custom-playfield
Obviously the finish looks better with Ron's clear.

Ah, awesome, thanks guys!

#3326 7 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

This thread really devolves when I am in between completions.

Bwahaha!

Other than the drooly artwork, this is why I follow this thread!

1 week later
#3386 7 months ago
Quoted from Paulb:

I think you guys give him to much credit

Price of games has done up. No longer a quarter for a credit. So, credit is due.

.. Enough puns. Sorry.

Quoted from mmr61184:

How does a playfield like that get insert wear, or is due to the inserts shifting over time

Unprotected storage by the IPB folks, and then temperature changes over the last 30 years, combined with - like Ron mentioned - absolutely no protection over the paint on the wood.

Quoted from kruzman:

This hasnt been dimpled, and needs some drilling, as well as touch up on the inserts and the red path on top, but I need to get with cayote, and have him tell me again what the plan is on this one.

No dimpling, no drilled holes unless absolutely necessary. Sadly, too many incorrect things on this PF to make it even usable in a game. So it is, yes, regulated to wall art. But this little piece of history will be protected now!

#3389 7 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Coyote have you ever seen the sketch drawings of the original backglass where Rod Serling had his signature cig. He looks total cartoonish but wish the cig made it in the Final Cut. I understand why it didn’t but you never saw that guy without one

I have seen it, yeah! I actually have a 8.5x11 xerox copy of the original sketch that's signed by Youssi - I THINK I got it way back in the early 00's at an Expo, but can't recall. (Old fart, brain doesn't work anymore. ) Yeah tho - I know why the cig was removed, and I admit that I'm so used to seeing him on the pinball that whenever I DO fire up an episode to put on TV, it's like a little jolt seeing it there. "Oh yeah.."

#3390 7 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Here are some pics of a proto TZ.

Hey Ron - do you know of anyone in your area that could scan that PF for me? Since the only images available online are of the game in the flyer and promotional pic(*), it'd be nice if I could get this scanned and sent over to IPDB for record.

(*) - with the drilled out, blank clock millions target, which this one doesn't have at all..

#3394 7 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I dont know anyone for scanning, but I live close to kalamazoo which is a big town. If you do some research I bet you could find someone. right now would be a good time for pics and scanning since there is no glare from shine.

I will look. I posted in another thread here too, seeing if anyone knew of a place near you.

Quoted from Jrotten:

For those who didn’t see the frame.

Okay, that's sick. I love it. I'll look into doing that for the TZ field!

#3396 7 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

On framing the pf, if you dont do any lights, I would check out how it looks best with some matting. Either in front or behind. With the matting behind it will look like a 3d presentation. Or you can make the hole in the matting a couple mm smaller than the pf, making it 2 dimensional.
I dont know which is better but I would like to check out both

My initial thought was getting some small LEDs to light up the inserts from behind - though I'm not set on that yet. I will have to see once I get the playfield, and make a frame for it!

2 weeks later
#3450 6 months ago

Jeez, that's a gorgous playfield.. I'm drooling.

#3460 6 months ago

Hey kruzman - any thoughts on that Fire! playfield? Wanna tackle it for me?

1 month later
#3633 5 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I didnt notice the spelling error on the truck for about 8 months. Idiot sign maker charged me like 800 for that job. a-duh?

I admit - i did NOT catch tht the first two times I looked at the pic.

1 week later
#3706 5 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Proto or sample nos WCS. It got it first coat a long while ago, and I got it all prepped for some paint work, before it gets another coat.
I have so much paint work to do.

Dat butt.

#3740 5 months ago

Have to agree with everyone else, too - all my games I put far more time and money into than they're worth. Only because I enjoy the work, and enjoy the look of the finished game. (Example? I paid $1200 to have a Big Ben PF touched up and cleared. Jeebus, 4 times what that game is worth. But I'll be damned - it's gorgeous, and now a freakin' tough game. )

1 week later
#3783 4 months ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

And the men from their wives.
If you're color matching - get a woman to help with the color matching. I don't know or pretend to understand the science behind it, but apparently a lot of studies have shown that women are better at detecting small differences between color shades.
I've only done playfield touchups once, and there's no way I could have done it as well as I did without my wife's help. A graphic designer wife with a Panton e book and the ability to mix Createx paints is a godsend.

As much as a joke it is, it's also.. true.

1 week later
#3801 4 months ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Ron is the king and kicks ass

I'll drink to that!

1 week later
#3832 4 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

24 votes. I dont know if you can vote twice, but please do not.
One more vote and I will report the findings.

I tried, but..
I would vote for NOS.

1 week later
#3880 4 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

As good as my clear looks its not the most important element of the job

We all know it's the boobies. Yup.

#3901 4 months ago

Holy fuck, so this is new - I know we spoke about this privately in the past. They didn't do this 3 years ago or so. So the practice that they were doing on accounts has now rolled over to credit cards.

1 week later
#3962 3 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

This T-2 by the butthamberg fellas was a total gentleman. required nothing but the clear. everything else is perfect. All of the people who make pin parts for us do a great job. I know these guys are a small set up but their quality is great!

You gave them high marks 4 or 5 years ago when I sent you the Getaway 2 PF from them. I'm real, real pleased to hear that nothing's changed.

#3964 3 months ago

If it was mine that came with the liquid on it, I'm not too worried - it'll never go into a game. I had it sent to you for preservation of the art.

2 weeks later
#4092 3 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Lots of great posts and support. thank you. of course I laughed when I saw
"thats more than I paid for the game"

I think I mentioned this before - but before I started using you, I send an EM playfield to another restorer. I told them what I wanted, and they had to check - twice - that I did want that. Why? Because the price was about 3x that of the game. I assured him that the game wasn't leaving my collection, and while it's not popular, I personally like it. (WMS Big Ben. They ended up doing an amazing job, and having an EM with clearcoat is amazing.)

But yeah, I only get PFs done for games I'm keeping. Regardless of price.

3 weeks later
#4137 75 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

also I got 2 free loads of firewood for next year. There is about 4 more loads there, but my back is done with firewood for a little while. Plus we are having a crazy blizzard and doug is a useless truck,

Doug may be useless in snow, but holy hell, I love that truck. That's sick.

1 week later
#4184 64 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

so I apologize about the delays.
[...]
So I really appreciate the patience.

IMHO if anyone is upset about delays and the time it takes you... they did NOT know what they were signing up for when they sent you their PF.

#4187 64 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Posted by one of my MOST patient supporters.

Worth it. I'm never in a rush (if I WAS, I wouldn't be doing a restore on one of my games properly!), and I will always have more to send you.

#4195 62 days ago

For someone that "don't do restorations". ... That's f*cking incredible. I'm glad, now, that I don't send you anything this bad. Hah.

#4204 57 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

the pic of the river is from the living room. it doesnt show how fast its going, but it will knock you right off your feet. the smaller deer really dont like it at all.

Jeesus. Seeing that makes me miss the Blue Ridge Mountains. Gorgeous.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
16,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 159.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.