IMG_3198 (resized).JPG
image5 (resized).jpeg
image4 (resized).jpeg
image3 (1) (resized).jpeg
image2 (resized).jpeg
image0 (1) (resized).jpeg
IMG_3191 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1265 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.
#1201 11 days ago

I love the reflections of the glass and playfield lights. I can’t put the plastics on yet!!

3A50AB64-E0FF-4E8D-A89B-65AD9DDCC32A (resized).jpeg58F8C972-7F59-4ED8-9DD0-6976EE64826D (resized).jpeg782A3294-3CCE-47CA-8560-F5D27FBC4F48 (resized).jpeg
#1202 9 days ago
Quoted from dhard:

You're fucked up and funny

A couple of days ago, a seller wouldnt let me and dave, come over and by a game off him because one of use hadnt been vaccinated. we offered to wear masks, and I can tell it wasnt about safety like the seller was claiming. He was making a political stand, as if it going to change anything. The seller lost sight of the ol saying pick your battles. This all happened the morning that the sale was to take place so every one wasted a bunch of time, and the deal didnt happen. I sincerely apologize to dave (dhard), and I have been worried about our friend ship. Not only did I set up this deal, the seller is one of my good friends. Very embarrassing and frustrating and inconvenient.
Never smart to cut off ones nose to spite ones face

#1203 9 days ago

I want that viking for me!!!! if you ever sell, please contact me. I am sure you dont have plans to.
In my pin world, right before my sister came over to help me to surgery, wed night, the rubber band behind the drops, broke on my WPT. Tommy just got that game running, and it looks like the upper pf has to come off to get to where I need to go. Its the bank that is straight up the middle, if anyone has any experience. Flight2k and Dr. dude were good enough
I am going down and up stairs on my ass, with a cup of coffee in my hand. I have a temp cast on my ankle and foot, and if my foot bends or toes get pressure I see stars, and almost threw up. My point is I am not suppose to work till the 4th, but I am going to head out soon and see what kinds of stuff I can do.

#1204 9 days ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Roger that!
I just received a Mirco Indy that Ron did for Dave Macy and snapped this victory picture. The clear is so smooth and perfect and I can run my fingers all over it and everything is unbelievably flat. This is a massive improvement over my original pf which has grooves so deep it's going to be reborn as a 12" LP.[quoted image][quoted image]

I just noticed the thumbs up in this pic!!!! awesome!!!!

#1205 9 days ago

I was contacted by mark saunders up in gr, and email and phone number dont work. I would think its a scam but the question was specific about cpr pfs. so if you know mark, please tell him I am trying unsuccessfully to get a hold of him. Thank you for any help

#1206 9 days ago

I'm not going to dog you bout the deal falling apart cause the dude flaked shit happens I ended up with a real nice machine anyway my own

20161225_141545 (resized).jpg20210425_190128 (resized).jpg
#1207 9 days ago

I added two coats of Poly (sanded first 120/200/400), then sanded 400 between coats on the back of the Dr Who NOS PF I bought from Ron. I have borrowed a spare used PF to copy the holes (front and back) onto Plexi-glass, per Ron's instructions. Oh and the white package from France is a Shaker Motor that I just installed in my Dr. Who.

DSCF2285 (resized).JPG
#1208 8 days ago

Ron, do you have any leads on a Diner playfield? Asking for a friend. I didn’t see any on your website but figured maybe you got one or know of one.

#1209 8 days ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

I added two coats of Poly (sanded first 120/200/400), then sanded 400 between coats on the back of the Dr Who NOS PF I bought from Ron. I have borrowed a spare used PF to copy the holes (front and back) onto Plexi-glass, per Ron's instructions. Oh and the white package from France is a Shaker Motor that I just installed in my Dr. Who.
[quoted image]

Very cool!! sealed the back also I am guessing? I am having a hard time getting plexi still. when I find it, it double price. I keep hearing that its trucking problems because of covid. Its truckers fault!!! Truckers must hate america!

I have a completely done cpr matta hari that I cleared on accident last winter. Its mine and I thought it was a customers. No diner right now.sorry

#1210 8 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Very cool!! sealed the back also I am guessing? I am having a hard time getting plexi still. when I find it, it double price. I keep hearing that its trucking problems because of covid. Its truckers fault!!! Truckers must hate america!
I have a completely done cpr matta hari that I cleared on accident last winter. Its mine and I thought it was a customers. No diner right now.sorry

Ron: Only sealed the back and sides, like you told me to do. Left the front original Diamond plate. I went to 3 local big Hardware stores and finally found some, the right size and it cost me $80 for 2 sheets. All the stores and offices are using the stuff as sneeze guards. The demand went down, then with the Delta Variant, it became rare again. You can sit down in restaurants in the DC metro area, but not in MC Donalds.

#1211 8 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Its truckers fault!!! Truckers must hate america!

A good friend of mine is a driver, and they have nothing to do with it - other than there not being enough. He's getting run ragged trying to keep up with his dispatcher, who's sending him all over the place. On top of that, the ports are far behind as well, because of both labor, and the lack of available truckers to come pick up loads.

#1212 7 days ago

Its truckers fault!!! Truckers must hate america

I know its hard to tell if i am being sarcastic, but I am on that one for sure. my grandpa and dad were truckers. I know there is a shortage of truckers. In my area, for the last 5-10 years there has been a shortage of people who will work period. Its not covid here. The last 10 years you cant pay people to work. for me its just means opportunity and being resourceful, but man its frustrating.

#1213 7 days ago

I was chatting with kruzman and discussing his great work, and also the light saber-style flippers I recently designed for the Star Wars DE game. He asked if I might post them in his thread so here they are. I believe they’ll work on Stern Star Wars machines and I plan to make some for Ghostbusters and maybe some others too.

It’s a pretty easy install with no soldering required.

Might make kits for those who are interested too. Game on!

8867707E-D8FF-45D5-869A-2DF4C49B9EDF (resized).jpeg

#1214 7 days ago

here is a bummer.I finished this pf, and upon inspection, I just noticed for the first time, there are a couple areas of little microscopic pitts in the clear. less than one coat thick, they either come from humidity or the clear drying too fast from the heat. It happens occasionally, but I tried like heck to get a pic of them, they are just in 2 areas and I dont think they can be seen. in one pic I can see the texture of my ceiling. Its in the middle area around the center pop bumper I am going to take it outside and see if I can get it to show, because right now, in the house, I cant find it. The pf still has not been cleanedand then the final "one over" with the polisher

IMG_3159 (resized).JPGIMG_3160 (resized).JPGIMG_3161 (resized).JPGIMG_3162 (resized).JPGIMG_3163 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_3164 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_3165 (1) (resized).JPG
#1215 7 days ago

Ok now I got them to show, but urgh!!!

IMG_3167 (resized).JPGIMG_3168 (resized).JPGIMG_3169 (resized).JPGIMG_3170 (resized).JPGIMG_3171 (resized).JPG
#1216 7 days ago

Most of the stuff I see in the pics is white specs of art work for the stars but in the first pic of this set you can see them perfect. its a gut punch after sanding and polishing for 2 days.

#1217 7 days ago

Those light saber flippers are cool!

#1218 7 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Its truckers fault!!! Truckers must hate america
I know its hard to tell if i am being sarcastic, but I am on that one for sure. my grandpa and dad were truckers. I know there is a shortage of truckers. In my area, for the last 5-10 years there has been a shortage of people who will work period. Its not covid here. The last 10 years you cant pay people to work. for me its just means opportunity and being resourceful, but man its frustrating.

Yeah, my friend's company upped their mileage pay ten cents in the last 2 years, and he's still stick of the shit they're doing to him; he's looking into leaving and going into fuel delivery - more money and better set hours, heh.

Quoted from kruzman:

here is a bummer.I finished this pf, and upon inspection, I just noticed for the first time, there are a couple areas of little microscopic pitts in the clear. less than one coat thick, they either come from humidity or the clear drying too fast from the heat. It happens occasionally, but I tried like heck to get a pic of them, they are just in 2 areas and I dont think they can be seen. in one pic I can see the texture of my ceiling. Its in the middle area around the center pop bumper I am going to take it outside and see if I can get it to show, because right now, in the house, I cant find it. The pf still has not been cleanedand then the final "one over" with the polisher
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Huh! I admit that I never thought that "drying too fast" would be an issue!

#1219 7 days ago

Ron, What are you asking for the cleared Mata Hari playfield?

#1220 6 days ago

Clear drying too fast is a big issue. since its a chemical dry, they sell 3 speeds of hardener. In the winter I use med and fast, but in the summer I use med. There are plenty of times they dont have any med in stock and I get what i get.
when the clear dries too fast it doesn't get a chance to level out and flatten like liquid does. Then I do things to thin it out, which makes it quicker to lay flat and loose all of the issues, caused by the act of getting thrown at the surface.

clear moves around after you spray it, because of the process of mixing the reactive ingredients as well, though be it a very small measure, you need to think about it in that way.

#1221 6 days ago

I am not suppose to work until the 4th of aug because of foot surgery, so I am respecting the doc, and not going crazy. I know I messed up my back surgery by taking a bunch of morphine, and going back to work (construction) in less than a week, and I wrecked the work that was done on my back. Big mistake to learn from. So I am gonna work but not push it.

I happened to have the camera around yesterday when I was hand sanding to show the good 30 min that has to be done after sanding with the DA sander

Note in the first and second pics you can see the remaining area I have to finish. Then in the last pics you see that I get the clear out of the depressions, of course with the Handy Dandy Kruzman pf install kit

IMG_3172 (resized).JPGIMG_3173 (resized).JPGIMG_3174 (resized).JPGIMG_3175 (resized).JPGIMG_3176 (resized).JPGIMG_3177 (resized).JPG
#1222 6 days ago

This is a really nice medusa I did last year, so it is nice and cured. It looks perfect!! I have never owned this game and wanted it for 40 years. Its been wrapped in my closet for a year now, and I would like to get it sold.

There is $150 of shop and paint work on it plus the $650 clear coat. I will sell it for 1350 plus shipping. I am 95% sure I have the window for it in my stash in the studio.
I am always open for trades. I am interested in nos and repro pfs, as well as games. Of course plus or minus cashola

IMG_3178 (resized).JPGIMG_3179 (resized).JPGIMG_3180 (resized).JPGIMG_3181 (resized).JPGIMG_3182 (resized).JPGIMG_3183 (resized).JPGIMG_3184 (resized).JPGIMG_3185 (resized).JPG
#1223 6 days ago

very cool work!

#1224 6 days ago

I wrote last week that I had a matta hari that was complete and had been sitting in my closet.
OOps it was the medusa. I dont have a matta hari. Its another M title by bally.

#1225 6 days ago

Oohhhhh that could be my pirates CE playfield, though I think you actually have 2 at the moment thanks for sharing.

#1226 6 days ago

I seen the one they call "Kruzman" once.

It was on Easter day and I drove into Michigan with my wife, as we had off-easter celebrations that year.

I pulled up to the address I was given to meet a guy about buying a game. It was a long winding dirt road through the woods. My wife was like "Are we going to die?".

We lived. Bought the game and little did I know I was in the secret lair of the Great Kruzman.

I did get a tour. It was fun. I would do it again.

True story.

#1227 5 days ago

Very cool, glad I must have been in a good mood. Rare occurrence. I am trying hard to enjoy life. Its not bad at all, actually. I have changed in the last 20 years, and I no longer want to be alone all of the time. Now its the opposite. I think I would rather pluck my eye lashes out than computer date again.

#1228 5 days ago

LOL Hope your feeling better brother! Take care of that back!

#1229 5 days ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This is on my bucket list. Honest!

#1230 5 days ago

Well here is a crap sandwich on a tue afternoon.
when this pf came in, I noticed that on one side, the top laminate was not glued down fully. another words the glue was not spread well and they missed some area. it just seemed to be the edge and about less than 1 in going in, so I injected glue in the spots where I could get the needle or exacto under the thin top laminate. I blocked with wood blocks and clamped. I thought problem solution.

A couple months later/today its ready for the final block sand and polish, and it feels like there is a run in the clear. I have never had a run before, but maybe I moved it too fast, so I am sanding like hell and I cant get rid of the high point, until I hit wood. I would think it would level out in the clear before i hit wood. then I realized the area which is about 2 in wide by 8 long can be pushed down with my finger. so I am happy my clear gives and doesn't crack, but the bummer is there is an area in the middle of the pf where the top laminate didnt get glued down also and I didnt notice until now.

I posted the first pic a couple pages back when it happened.

Unless I come up with a better plan, I am going to drill a couple holes and try to inject some glue (its not as easy as it sounds. I have to go get a big gauge needle that the glue will pass thru, and hopefully be able to save this one. I got 10 coats of clear down on it, but I have sanded it to the wood in that area, so best case scenario I will have to do like 4 coats, and then start where I was today.

if its not one thing its another.

IMG_2878 (resized).JPGIMG_3186 (resized).JPGIMG_3187 (resized).JPGIMG_3188 (resized).JPGIMG_3189 (resized).JPGIMG_3190 (resized).JPGIMG_3191 (resized).JPG
#1231 5 days ago

I used my fingers in the pics to point out the size of the area that is unglued.
So, just one more quality control thing I have to start looking for. next time I will send it back, since now I know its not just the edges. The only good news its it is not my screw up!!!!!!
I am trying to get these pfs done and out of here, but between the pfs being stubborn and not busting my stitches, I am getting no where

#1232 5 days ago

hows your cat ? didn't realize you had my 8bd done, I can get there Saturday
mix water and Tabasco and spray on your marijuana, I mean hostas......

#1233 5 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

when this pf came in, I noticed that on one side, the top laminate was not glued down fully. another words the glue was not spread well and they missed some area. it just seemed to be the edge and about less than 1 in going in, so I injected glue in the spots where I could get the needle or exacto under the thin top laminate. I blocked with wood blocks and clamped. I thought problem solution.
A couple months later/today its ready for the final block sand and polish, and it feels like there is a run in the clear. I have never had a run before, but maybe I moved it too fast, so I am sanding like hell and I cant get rid of the high point, until I hit wood. I would think it would level out in the clear before i hit wood. then I realized the area which is about 2 in wide by 8 long can be pushed down with my finger. so I am happy my clear gives and doesn't crack, but the bummer is there is an area in the middle of the pf where the top laminate didnt get glued down also and I didnt notice until now.
Unless I come up with a better plan, I am going to drill a couple holes and try to inject some glue (its not as easy as it sounds. I have to go get a big gauge needle that the glue will pass thru, and hopefully be able to save this one. I got 10 coats of clear down on it, but I have sanded it to the wood in that area, so best case scenario I will have to do like 4 coats, and then start where I was today.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

thanks for sharing that.
I am sure you have more experience solving these issues than myself but I run into similar issues with other woodworking projects.
since this is an area that is covered and not seen, perhaps drilling a hole from the back without coming through to the other side then you will have a better visual of what is going on in between the panel. If it is separating in that section only maybe you can drill, glue generously, and insert dowels ever 1 inch, then with a chisel you shaving them off flush to the back, this will allow you to inject glue in different places and once the dowels are flush in it will look perfect.
Just a thought.

#1234 5 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Oh, fuck.
How common IS that? Is it more prevalent on older OEM fields, newer repros, or?

#1235 4 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Oh, fuck.
How common IS that? Is it more prevalent on older OEM fields, newer repros, or?

In my experience, on the oem, and nos pfs, 95% of the time, its from sitting on a cement floor, where the cold and humidity effects it, but only at the bottom, which is easily repaired.
In my experience, usually when the laminate is bubbled, its because there is material under there that is not holding on to the glue. Bark being the case most often. The inner plys of ply wood will sometimes have an area of wood that is actually a part of the tree that has no strength, and plywood is engineered so that the ply's pull on each other. (each layer's wood grain is 90 deg from the one above or below it) Of course it could be the glue was not applied correctly, and I think that is the case with this pf, because I noticed it all up and down the side, when I first started, and I dont see any dark, brittle sections in the plies.
Also this pf is not trying to twist, and that is what usually happens when there is a void in there.

I like the idea of going thru the back. Thank god, it seems to be contained in the area where there is no print. wow thats lucky, otherwise I would suggest chucking it.
The dowell idea is the key I think. I always like to think on it for a couple days, but I like the dowel idea, but not bother doing it from behind. I want to make sure I can get the glue everywhere needed, AND, as it is, I will have to reclear it. If I didnt have to reclear, I would try to save it from behind.

The part that I screwed up was thinking its a run and kept sanding the shit out of it, till I hit wood.

I have only seen this one other time, where its not easily fixed on an edge. It it a pissa for sure.

If it was not sent to me, it would have been noticed once the owner started screwing in to it. It stayed hidden until the heat of the sander changed the temp

#1236 4 days ago

T skinner came over to help me w a game and took some great pics of a pf that has been sprayed, but I still have to sand it level and polish/clean it. He takes some good pics!

image0 (1) (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage3 (1) (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpegimage5 (resized).jpeg
#1237 4 days ago

That's some goodness right there!

#1238 1 day ago

Got some pics of pfs with last coats

IMG_3198 (resized).JPGIMG_3199 (resized).JPGIMG_3201 (resized).JPGIMG_3202 (resized).JPG
#1239 1 day ago

a bunch of pfs ;hanging around... making trouble. See if you can find yours

IMG_3193 (resized).JPGIMG_3194 (resized).JPGIMG_3195 (resized).JPGIMG_3196 (resized).JPG
#1240 1 day ago

Looking at one of those pics my brain kept asking "What are those weird looking cartoon ninjas doing on the top of that playfield?"

Then I realized it's Fish Tales!

#1241 1 day ago

I have a lot of people ask me if i know someone who will do pf swaps, and is good, and for the last year I have been sending them to Dave Macy in PA. Man his work is awesome, and I am surprised how quickly he gets the jobs done (compared to my slow ass).
Also he has no problem installing the pfs I have cleared. from what I have read, one of the famous restorers no longer wants to install my pfs because you cant screw a screw in to the clear (without predrilling and removing a little clear in the area). It takes a little extra time. when the job is done its going to last years and years longer than a pf I didnt do, and wont look like the surface of a golf ball in 100 games.

So just a little ad for Dave. He didnt ask, and hopefully he is not overbooked, which seems to happen when people realize you at least try to do the best work you can. his name on pinside is dmacy

#1242 1 day ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Looking at one of those pics my brain kept asking "What are those weird looking cartoon ninjas doing on the top of that playfield?"
Then I realized it's Fish Tales!

I know those 2 at the top fishing are suppose to be 2 known people in pinball, I forgot who

#1243 1 day ago

I am working on a lot of awesome titles right now, and starting next week, every time a pf goes out, one of the NOS WPC pfs comes in, which is going to be fun.
I still need to find the owner of the mirco IJ pf set.

#1244 1 day ago

Ron what's the present turn-around estimate when you get a pf? About a year or so?

#1245 1 day ago

starting this month pfs that come in should be done in less than 4 months. A repro like a mirco AFM will be done closer to 3 months (which is how long my process takes to allow coats to cure).

Then there are pfs, like say a cpr centaur which needs all of the star roll overs, which are all clogged up w clear, fixed as well as paint work on the arrow inserts. Thats a good 4 months

Lastly are the nos pfs which will at least have a bunch of inserts with hairline cracks around them. also on nos pfs, when the clear is super thin or the wood grain has expanded, it has to be hand sanded, and often I will get down in to the top screened color which is black. Touch up takes a lot more time that just the time to paint it. I have to wait till there is a full days paint work, and then I have to wait until I am in the mood. There is also re-gluing inserts and possibly drill and dimple. Lately we can add detached laminate to the shop time jobs.
On this stuff its more like 5 months.

These time lines are when the shop is really busy. sometimes I get down to 10 jobs. When its like that everything is 3-4 months to complete, unless its like a NOS paragon with a lot of work. I dont send the invoice to get paid until the job is done. That gives me incentive to get my fat ass moving.

From now on, when there are 25 jobs in the shop, incoming jobs will wait in line at my house, and then come out as one exits. That way I wont get over booked again, and I apologize to everyone for the hold up. I have spent the summer focusing on work. Next summer I may take a couple weekends off, assuming I dont jerk the wheel or walk in front of a bus before.

#1246 1 day ago

Thanks for the info! That's great to hear you've sped things up a bit.

One other question: If a customer is doing multiple pf's at once, do you want separate e-mails for each pf or one e-mail with each title in the subject line?

#1247 1 day ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Thanks for the info! That's great to hear you've sped things up a bit.
One other question: If a customer is doing multiple pf's at once, do you want separate e-mails for each pf or one e-mail with each title in the subject line?

Both will work. You can use the abbreviations that games have like EBD. I noticed a couple of them have the game titles at the end of the sentence in the subject and its cut off. So keep the subject short and sweet, and send to
[email protected]

It helps. thank you

#1248 1 day ago

I also still have a completed funhouse reproduction pf, waiting for its owner to contact me.

#1249 1 day ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I also still have a completed funhouse reproduction pf, waiting for its owner to contact me.

You can send it over. I also have that bag of squirrel food I'll get to USPS today for you. Thanks!

#1250 1 day ago

I lost the squirrels in the break up. She has not replied since the text dump, so I have no idea how they are doing. I dont even know what I did wrong. I would guess she released them at her parents.
There should be a category for people who are empathetic to animals but not humans. I have a name for it, but there should be a clinical term. Its a trip that someone will bend over backwards for animal, but has no second thoughts screwing over someone very close. Oh well. We are all on our own path. With 15 stitches in my foot, I am hobbling down mine.

There are 1265 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside