20211129_150625 (resized).jpg
20211129_150613 (resized).jpg
20211129_093136 (resized).jpg
20211129_093118 (resized).jpg
01E1A0F7-0CD4-4722-B8A4-BE6FD5D3F677 (resized).jpeg
BF0CFB2F-0A12-4929-8535-5BAD4FBC7D26 (resized).jpeg
20211124_142619 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 33.
#751 10 months ago

Ron, that Mata Hari is simply stunning - I never get tired of seeing your work! So sorry about the loss of the dog. Hang in there - spring will be here soon!

#752 10 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Crap I screwed it up.
On the first 2 pics the nos is the pf on the left.
then it goes NOS, next pic repro

Nah easy enough to work it out

#753 10 months ago

Sorry about the dog man. People die, it's sad. Dogs die, its a lot sadder.

#754 10 months ago

Sorry to hear about your dog.
Unconditional love.

#755 10 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Here is a matta hari that needed almost all of the insert's keylines repainted. There were also extra holes in the pop bumpers that may have been from the EM version. they were filled so I had to repaint the pink, yellow and black of the pops
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow looks awesome!

#756 10 months ago

Dogs are better than people. So sorry Ron.

#757 10 months ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Dogs are better than people. So sorry Ron.

sure are!

#758 10 months ago

Dead giveaway the Mirco is a scan and not from films is the loss of the fine resolution like the lines in Elvira's face. Way better than a blown out pf, but clearly not an equivalent to NOS.

#759 10 months ago

That Mata Hari is just too much beauty. Incredible artwork and colors. Highlighted by a awesome clear.

#760 10 months ago

Much love to you Ron on the loss of your dog. As many pointed out, dogs are better than people. He lived a great life with you! Thank you for all you do for this community!

#761 10 months ago

Thanks for all of the kindness about my dog Rainey. She has been dead long enough now that its all just good memories.
So Because of the really cold temps I am looking at a 90% full quart of hardener that I am going to have to toss because my dumb ass opened it on feb 2. Before I do I am gonna run all of the heaters at full to see if I can get the spray room warm enough. Even with the fresh air being pumped from my heated shop, I cant keep it warm enough. Its 11 deg F right now outside
On the news this morning the national weather guy said a polar vortex is coming out way? Hopefully he means the east coast because its been maxing out at 12-16 between 2 -4 pm.
Anyway not a huge problem but jobs are taking longer. They always do in the winter. I could spray and work thru it but the quality will not be there, and with the stock pf clearcoats being so bad lately, I have to make sure my process is right for the clear to be right.
Its not just a matter of the clear being super hard. That wont work because it will chip and crack, and wont flex with the pf thru the seasons. I dont want to give up trade secrets, but the key is not a thick coat of super hard ceramic clear. Its not that easy, nothing is.

I think the next 2 pfs to get sanded and polished are a FH and TAF

#762 9 months ago

So I promised to do a paragon comparison, similar to the SS with a nos and a repro. I just sanded the repro to match the nos that is sanded and I saw the star roll overs which pissed me off, because the rolling stones that just came in today has both of them filled in with clear.
Back in the summer I did a cpr medusa that had all 7 star completely filled with clear, and since it was a couple years old the clear was harder than the insert and I wrecked them, and it was a mess. It makes me wonder if everyone deals with this when they buy a cpr pf with star roll overs, or if it is just me, and how do first timers deal with it?
More than 50% of the star roll overs on cpr pfs, are not open enough to install the star. That may be why they dont include them with the pf any more? I do not like trashing any ones work, but this is getting tiresome .
Since its not an easy task, it takes about an hour and a half to do the 4 on the paragon, and there is a chance I can screw up a pf, and then have to remedy that situation, I have to start charging for fixing inserts now. It will be charged as hourly shop time.

I suggest before buying a cpr pf, you ask if the star roll overs are operational or filled with clear.

IMG_1925 (resized).JPGIMG_1926 (resized).JPGIMG_1927 (resized).JPGIMG_1930 (resized).JPGIMG_1931 (resized).JPGIMG_1934 (1) (resized).JPG
#763 9 months ago

The last two CPR fields I've installed - Medusa and Fathom - had the "gobs of clear" issue with the star rollovers, and I believe I saw that on a Centaur as well from a few years back. I used to file the clear out of the openings with a very small needle file, but there's too much risk of breaking the clear free from the insert surface. Now I'm using an X-Acto knife to shave out the clumps.

#764 9 months ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

The last two CPR fields I've installed - Medusa and Fathom - had the "gobs of clear" issue with the star rollovers, and I believe I saw that on a Centaur as well from a few years back. I used to file the clear out of the openings with a very small needle file, but there's too much risk of breaking the clear free from the insert surface. Now I'm using an X-Acto knife to shave out the clumps.

I saw a post recently - and at the moment I cannot recall what thread it was in - where someone tried to clear out their star rollover (from CPR) and ripped off/broke a whole chunk of clear. So it happens.

Edit: Ah, found it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-rollover-button-housing-filled-with-clearcoat-on-cpr-playfield-#post-6128492

#765 9 months ago

My co host on The Classic Pinball Podcast talks about the CPR rollover issue in our Bobby Orr Power Play podcast. Lots of time spent on the 10 rollovers.

#766 9 months ago

I have found a good way to deal with it. I use the dremmil and one of the bits in my install kit, but it takes a steady hand. if its not bad I like the exacto method, but if its really thick and old/harder, I have done some nasty damage. I have not found a way that will not do damage, I just really have to give it my full attention, and spin the pf around so I am pulling straight back with each arm of the star.

The install kit/dremmil method is also great when there is just enough extra clear to make it sticky. I quickly pull back with the dremmil and bit, on each arm, (both the top and bottom). This way wont lift the clear accidently.

When I do the exacto method, I use the install kit to glue down the fresh edges I just made.

Some pfs that have 5 or more roll overs are hours of work. I have to be so careful that I can spend 2 hours on just the roll over inserts that should have been tested before shipped. Its not like a visual flaw that you can live with or fix if you want. THE PF CAN NOT BE USED UNLESS IT IS REPAIRED.

#767 9 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I saw a post recently - and at the moment I cannot recall what thread it was in - where someone tried to clear out their star rollover (from CPR) and ripped off/broke a whole chunk of clear. So it happens.
Edit: Ah, found it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-rollover-button-housing-filled-with-clearcoat-on-cpr-playfield-#post-6128492

I have had this happen many many times. For me it means cutting off the lifted piece of pie at the key line, glue down the edge ,(kruzman installkit) sand very carefully, and start spraying coats, and lots of sanding in-between to get it so the whole thing looks right.

I have thought about what a nightmare this would be if you didnt test, and assumed it is functional. Then when the pf is installed, you realize you are screwed.

#768 9 months ago

So I do have some new pfs here that are for sale or trade. I have 2 IRON MAIDEN (stern) one pro and one premium (I thought it was an LE. its a premium)
Transformers LE
Shadow set (repro)

I am trying to build my collection of nos and LE pfs so if you have any you want to let go of, or trade, I am interested.
There are some repros I need also. Black Hole is one of them since I got the game again

Warning": if you contact me with a pf for sale and say "make me an offer" I will offer 100$ so you may as well just give me your best price you are ok with. I dont want to do business where someone feels fleeced after, nor do I want to. The best business is when both walkaway happy with the price (unless you are a professional sales person)

#769 9 months ago

I am looking for a bally WIZARD game I am in west michigan

#770 9 months ago

Ron, Are you looking for whole working game or project?

#771 9 months ago

When I had clear on the star inserts for a playfield I had, I cut thin strips of sand paper, then folded them so each side of the strip was sand paper. Then I pushed it through, grabbed each side (one hand on each side of the playfield) and filed back and forth. That allowed me to work carefully and use fine grits.

#772 9 months ago

On the wizard I am looking for a 100% working game. I have learned about myself in the past 5 years that if I work on my own games I feel guilty I should be doing paying work, both for the morg and the customers. So I look around and see the projects I bought 5 years ago have not been even touched. So its better for me to buy a game that is all ready in good shape for this situation.
I have 3 restorations I have to finish before taking on more.
My living room is empty but my storage is full. You will see me on hoarders soon.

#773 9 months ago
Quoted from shirkle:

When I had clear on the star inserts for a playfield I had, I cut thin strips of sand paper, then folded them so each side of the strip was sand paper. Then I pushed it through, grabbed each side (one hand on each side of the playfield) and filed back and forth. That allowed me to work carefully and use fine grits.

Thats one way to do it. Definatly need the patience. This would be the best way if the arms of the clear are not totally full of clear, like the medusa I did. There was no place to get started to get the paper in there. One of the bits in my install kit is good for filing the edges after cutting out the clear. I either go at it with the install kit or use my x-acto, and then I use the bits to clean it up after I cut out the chunks.
Sometimes I glue down the edges when its all done just for extra insurance. (using the hypos in the kit). Sound like an infomercial?

#774 9 months ago

I totally forgot I have a stargazer also

IMG_1946 (resized).JPG
#775 9 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I totally forgot I have a stargazer also
[quoted image]

The Shadow knows ...

#776 9 months ago

I just wasted about an hour looking for insert decals. Of course I only need one, but I will buy the whole set. problem is I cant find a set for Bally Indy 500.
I am restoring a beautiful pf (to sell when done) and I have one ghosted insert I cant fix.
If you know where that is a set on the net please send me a link, and I would be forever grateful.

I have sets of insert decals for about 75 titles, but not indy 500.
frusterating

#777 9 months ago

The shadow above is not cleared by me. I dont know its history but it looks good for the money!

#778 9 months ago

14 below zero this morning.

I finished a TAF pf yesterday. (I think its a mirco, I forgot who owns it. Let me know if it is yours)Today I have to clean the inside edges of all of the cut outs and holes, then a quick pass with the polisher and I will take some pics.

The following pfs have all of the clear down. They need to be block sanded (600-3000grit) then polished, cleaned. Thats 2 days work but the temp needs to be above 20.
Funhouse dimpled/ paint inserts
creech dimpled
Diner (may need 2 more coats. some pfs still are not how I like them at 10 thin coats, so I add a couple more)
Firepower (same as diner)

so if any of these are yours, almost done

#779 9 months ago

Stay warm Ron! I’m a wuss complaining about 20F today.

#780 9 months ago

Looks like dallas and houston have it bad. 9 deg and no power, which means no heat or hot water which means busting pipes. Contractors and tree guys are going to be working like crazy for a while down there! Texas is a strange place, but I know a lot of good folks down there.

Quoted from dmacy:

Stay warm Ron! I’m a wuss complaining about 20F today.

#781 9 months ago

Don’t bring the Dolly Parton out until it’s warmer. She doesn’t like to be cold.. ya know?

#782 9 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

14 below zero this morning.

I don't know how you guys do it - it's somewhere in 90's F over here (been a relatively cooler summer this year)

#783 9 months ago

Stay in, play repair pinball. And hope Kruzman finds ya ASM pf!

#784 9 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Looks like dallas and houston have it bad

Rolling blackouts, people without power for over 48 hours (including nursing homes), cold as hell in some homes and pipes bursting all over. Texas does not have the infrastructure to handle these weather conditions.

#785 9 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Funhouse dimpled/ paint inserts

so if any of these are yours, almost done

This one sounds familiar!!

#786 9 months ago

I left like a dozen or so, can stop up Saturday and get them out of your way, I paid you up front cash too,. remember ?

#787 9 months ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Rolling blackouts, people without power for over 48 hours (including nursing homes), cold as hell in some homes and pipes bursting all over. Texas does not have the infrastructure to handle these weather conditions.

It's crazy coming from the state that provides more natural gas and crude (along with solar and wind) than most other states. Ercot is there to avoid federal regulations. That grid we have is poorly connected to the national grid to help balance the load.

#788 9 months ago

Concerning texas, I saw a report after the last calamity about 10-12 years ago that said the grid badly needs to be updated for harsh weather. Evidently the pipes are not insulated or winterized. Imagine what this is going to cost, because they were too cheap to invest in winterizing equipment. Not to mention the cost of life lost.
Our wind turbines and N gas pipes run all winter.
I dont want to start making this thread political.

Most of the folks around here that have the money have awesome 25KW gererac generators that turn on by them self when the power goes out. I would love one! It wouldnt help in texas because they usually run on N gas. If you have the space like me you can set up a 500 gal propane tank for it to run it for several months in the worst winter. I highly suggest them. for up here.
One day I would love to install a Geo thermo system, since I am all ready heating both places with water boilers.

#789 9 months ago
Quoted from Paulb:

I left like a dozen or so, can stop up Saturday and get them out of your way, I paid you up front cash too,. remember ?

Ok paul, come on up and pick up your pfs. Boy its a good thing you paid in advance.

#790 9 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

they were too cheap to invest in winterizing equipment. Not to mention the cost of life lost.

They have admitted cost was the factor on why plants and the electric grid are not winterized. They figure this happens once every 10 years so it's cheaper to pay any claims once every ten years versus what the cost would be to winterize the systems.

#791 9 months ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

They have admitted cost was the factor on why plants and the electric grid are not winterized. They figure this happens once every 10 years so it's cheaper to pay any claims once every ten years versus what the cost would be to winterize the systems.

Its not easy to straddle capitolism and necessities of life. Its going to be nice when things get better for a while and we all can coast a bit. I think it was about 2008 when I lost power for 5 days along with much of the east part of america. It was because of the opposite, and we were having an insane heat wave. Some got lucky and only lost it for 3 days. My water and sewer runs on electricity, as well as my dam PINBALL MACHINES!!!!!

#792 9 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Its not easy to straddle capitolism and necessities of life. Its going to be nice when things get better for a while and we all can coast a bit. I think it was about 2008 when I lost power for 5 days along with much of the east part of america. It was because of the opposite, and we were having an insane heat wave. Some got lucky and only lost it for 3 days. My water and sewer runs on electricity, as well as my dam PINBALL MACHINES!!!!!

Biggest reason I moved to a house with municipal water. No water for 5 days in that power outage with well and had to be really careful with water due to septic tank and no power to pump. Generac's are nice, but a bit overrated. If we lose power in MI, it is almost always for a few hours. A good portable generator is all you need to keep the fridge, TV, a light and a power strip on.

And, IMHO, the biggest issue in TX isn't that they didn't winterize their power grid, its that their grid is not connected to the rest of the U.S. So once it started to fail, there was no backup. Texans and their "I don't want to be governed" by the Feds attitude. I hope they see the irony of one of the largest oil and natural gas producing states not having power. And, there was plenty of warning. They had the same issue LAST YEAR when major storms interrupted the power grid. They don't grow 'em real smart in TX.

#793 9 months ago

Does anyone have any experience moving a pin in a subaru? The MazzaratKIA has a couple hundred shifts left on the transmission, and I want to get a subaru.

#794 9 months ago

Hey Ron, I once moved an EBD in my 2014 WRX 5 door. ( head off )

Not exactly a pin mover, but the ride is great fun!

#795 9 months ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Hey Ron, I once moved an EBD in my 2014 WRX 5 door. ( head off )
Not exactly a pin mover, but the ride is great fun!

Wow, I would have never guessed that would have fit in there! (of course my father would say thats what she said)
As much as I would enjoy beating the heck out of a wrx, I am thinking outback or forester. I like wagons. I would get another volvo wagon, but I would end up in the same place as the kia, Spending a lot of money on very expensive parts.

A nice guy came over and bought one of my games on a hot summer day, I forget which title. He brought a subaru and I had to take off the head to get it in (and put the head in separate) I just dont remember what model of subaru it was

#796 9 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Wow, I would have never guessed that would have fit in there! (of course my father would say thats what she said)
As much as I would enjoy beating the heck out of a wrx, I am thinking outback or forester. I like wagons. I would get another volvo wagon, but I would end up in the same place as the kia, Spending a lot of money on very expensive parts.
A nice guy came over and bought one of my games on a hot summer day, I forget which title. He brought a subaru and I had to take off the head to get it in (and put the head in separate) I just dont remember what model of subaru it was

Forester is tight, may have a little more clearance in the Outback. 2019 Forester is about 31” height max.

#797 9 months ago

Has anyone checked on Ron since the cold snap in Midwest? Wellness check time or at least a weekend update is due. Bueller..... Bueller?

#798 9 months ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Has anyone checked on Ron since the cold snap in Midwest? Wellness check time or at least a weekend update is due. Bueller..... Bueller?

I heard from him this week. He’s fine as far as I know. I just received the Mata Hari on this thread. It’s beyond stunning. Pictures don’t do it justice.
15C39914-C3CA-404E-B2EB-73C4588DF32A (resized).jpeg

#799 9 months ago

^that is one beautiful playfield when cleared. Colors really pop and stand out. It’s gonna be super fast too.

#800 9 months ago

Wow! that's beautiful! Ballypalooza is right. It's going to be fast! Mata Hari was my first pin. Now I'm kind of missing it!

There are 1,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside