(Topic ID: 257700)

Kraken Pinball

By matthies

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kraken_2.gif
    kraken_1 (resized).jpg
    kraken_4 (resized).jpg
    kraken_3 (resized).jpg
    kraken_2 (resized).jpg
    kraken_1 (resized).jpg
    clapping-octopus (resized).png
    kraken_ramp.gif
    kraken_1 (resized).jpg
    0121201626 (resized).jpg
    kraken_3 (resized).jpg
    kraken_2 (resized).jpg
    kraken_1 (resized).jpg
    kraken-inserts (resized).jpg
    kraken_5 (resized).jpg
    kraken_3 (resized).jpg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

This just came in the mail today. Made me think of your project.

0121201626 (resized).jpg0121201626 (resized).jpg
    #52 4 years ago

Nice! It's probably no surprise that after I chose the theme I somehow managed to build up a small collection of Kraken Rum bottles.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from matthies:

Nice! It's probably no surprise that after I chose the theme I somehow managed to build up a small collection of Kraken Rum bottles.

To study of course!Such dedication.

#54 4 years ago

Finally able to test the ramp to see if it actually works. I designed it without knowing whether it would work or not, so it was a massive relief to see this:

kraken_ramp.gifkraken_ramp.gif

I was surprised by how smoothly the ball landed on the wireforms and by how fairly light shots still made it up the ramp entrance.

I still have some work to do on each end of the wireform, but here's how it looks on the playfield:

kraken_1 (resized).jpgkraken_1 (resized).jpg

I'm not a fan of how some ramps will bounce the ball around before releasing it to the playfield because it looks clunky. So my goal is to have a smooth exit that releases the ball a bit faster than normal towards the flippers. I'm sure I'll need to add extra protection to the playfield, but I want a fast and smooth ramp exit.

#55 4 years ago

Well done!That is nice smooth ball action, especially for the first time. Time to give up your day job.

#56 4 years ago

Ramp and form look awesome, great work so far!!! Curious to see how silver solder holds up.. I used a Blowtorch on mine with brass and joining rods — was not the easiest to use. Was hoping to weld final versions but wondering if solder could work well now.. that’s stainless for the forms?

#57 4 years ago

Don't know if this is intended but the shape of ramps remind me of a tentacle. Maybe you could powder coat or make some mold to go with the wire forms to that effect. Just an idea!

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from matthies:

Finally able to test the ramp to see if it actually works. I designed it without knowing whether it would work or not, so it was a massive relief to see this:
    [quoted image]
    I was surprised by how smoothly the ball landed on the wireforms and by how fairly light shots still made it up the ramp entrance.
    I still have some work to do on each end of the wireform, but here's how it looks on the playfield:
    [quoted image]
    I'm not a fan of how some ramps will bounce the ball around before releasing it to the playfield because it looks clunky. So my goal is to have a smooth exit that releases the ball a bit faster than normal towards the flippers. I'm sure I'll need to add extra protection to the playfield, but I want a fast and smooth ramp exit.

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. Great work on the ramps! I look forward to watching the progress of this HB and seeing it in action someday!

#59 4 years ago

This is bad ass. It looks awesome!!

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Was hoping to weld final versions but wondering if solder could work well now.. that’s stainless for the forms?

Same here. Would have prefered to weld it properly, but this will do for now until I properly learn to weld. If problems show up later on, I'll mention it on this thread. All stainless steel 304.

Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Don't know if this is intended but the shape of ramps remind me of a tentacle. Maybe you could powder coat or make some mold to go with the wire forms to that effect. Just an idea!

Great minds think alike! The plan is to make tentacles to wrap around the ramps.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from matthies:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

That is soooo cool.

#62 4 years ago

clapping-octopus (resized).pngclapping-octopus (resized).png
    #63 4 years ago

Needed a bit of a break from making ramps, so I cut the plastics:

I was going to order laser cut plastic, but the cheapest quote was $110 (AUD), while a blank sheet of clear polycarbonate cost under $20 on eBay. So I printed the design out on paper, cut the paper parts out, taped them onto the plastic, then used a jigsaw to cut them. Pretty simple.

kraken_2 (resized).jpgkraken_2 (resized).jpg

kraken_3 (resized).jpgkraken_3 (resized).jpg

Just need to sand the edges so they're nice and smooth and drill holes for posts. The art won't be done for a long time, so these will just sit around until then.

kraken_4 (resized).jpgkraken_4 (resized).jpg

#64 4 years ago

Hello, you can ask at WWW.SOS-PINBALL.COM 8 euros worldwide shipping

#65 4 years ago

Despite the 38°C weather (100F), I sweated my way through finishing the left ramp.

It's not as smooth as the right ramp so it needs a bit of fine-tuning. The area to screw down at the back is way too big, so it sticks out into the orbit area. I'll cut the left support off and try something else, otherwise I'll change the design and get a new one laser cut.

Here are the ramps in action:

kraken_2.gifkraken_2.gif

Pretty happy with the progress I've made in under two months. But things will slow down now that I need to start working on the art. I really want this machine to look professional, so I'll be taking my time to get the art as good as possible.

If I was rich, I'd throw a wad of cash to Zombie Yeti as it would be awesome to see him come up with wild sea monsters all over the playfield and cabinet.

#66 4 years ago

Badass!!! Love the 180 returns on ramps. Where’s that spinner on the left leading to though?

#67 4 years ago

You can see in the other photos that the spinner leads to the orbit. As I mentioned, the support for the ramp sticks out too far, so I'll need to cut it off so it doesn't block the orbit. That's why it doesn't look right in the latest photos.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from matthies:

You can see in the other photos that the spinner leads to the orbit. As I mentioned, the support for the ramp sticks out too far, so I'll need to cut it off so it doesn't block the orbit. That's why it doesn't look right in the latest photos.

Gotcha — missed that. Really want to see this thing flip!

10 months later
    #69 3 years ago

Checking in, any progress? Love the look so far though.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

Thanks for bumping this thread I totally forgot about it!

#71 3 years ago

Yeah first time here .I’ve been following #Mbeckers fight club very interesting stuff .

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

I fully had planned to finish this pin this year, but then I kind of got a bit distracted with this: HoloPin Projection Mapped Pinball

It's been a lot of fun this year experimenting with different themes for that machine, but I am keen to get back into building this one.

I just bought a 3D printer and plan to use it for this pin. I'm thinking of modeling cannons, sea monsters and ship parts to fit the theme. Mixing up the sculpts with 3D printed parts will be interesting.

4 weeks later
    #73 3 years ago

Well new year, new ambition?

Hoping to see you back to crackin' on Kraken!

2 months later
    #74 3 years ago

oh my god, just found your project, this is looking really cool! i'm building a similar theme i guess. is your kraken head molded with resin right? it looks beautiful!
    are you still working on this?

#75 3 years ago

also love you Hyperpin. I came across it when building my first homebrew, really love the music and lightshows.

1 month later
    #76 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

oh my god, just found your project, this is looking really cool! i'm building a similar theme i guess. is your kraken head molded with resin right? it looks beautiful!
    are you still working on this?

Thanks, sorry I've been out of the loop for quite a while. We had our first baby and she takes up quite a bit of time I would normally sink into building pinball!

Congrats on your build, I just checked the thread out. It's really interesting how similar both of our builds are - great minds think alike!
    I like the plank-style on your cabinet and playfield. I was planning on using stickers with a plank print, but yours looks so much better. The brass wireforms on yours definitely suit the theme better than what I'm using.

The kraken head was molded with polyurethane resin - it's very rubbery so not like a typical hard resin.

I've had a bit of a break from Kraken after I started building Holopin, but now that's done I've been slowly getting back to it. I've been playing around with the idea of adding an upper playfield, because I think the layout needs a bit more than what I've shown here.

Keen to hear what upper playfields other people enjoy playing so I can get some ideas on what to do.

Quoted from stefanmader:

also love you Hyperpin. I came across it when building my first homebrew, really love the music and lightshows.

Thanks! It's definitely different compared to traditional pinball, but I love that I can add new themes at any time. It's just a lot more work creating animations compared to typical inserts and GI lighting.

#77 2 years ago

Hey congratulations!

I checked out your Holopin as well. What a cool idea. I think it is really hard to come up with something that is completely new. Your Holopin is definitly in there.

In my Deep Blue Rage build i still need to make a giant octopus on the backbox, i'm having a hard time with that. I'm not a 3d modeler, and modeling it in clay and casting it is the way to go. (i've done this before). However for a one it is quite expensive and in Austria the selection of materials is not that great. I'm thinking of making it with some sort of epoxy sculpt (Milliput).

Are you using mpf in Hyperdrive? and are you programming the lights per hand? There is a mpf Show creator Tool, that helps with the light shows.

#78 2 years ago

An epoxy sculpt for your backbox would be really interesting to see. I struggled with creating good looking clay sculptures - people on YouTube make it look too easy.

Yes I use MPF for all of my projects. If anybody is intimidated by the thought of coding a homebrew, MPF is the way to go. I've contributed quite a bit to the MPF docs as a way to give back to the MPF community. I wouldn't have been able to get my homebrews flipping without it.

The light show creator is also fantastic and I use it for everything. Once you learn how to use it, you can create some impressive light shows that rival what you see from the big manufacturers.

#79 2 years ago

I agree, when i started, i had no doubt, mpf is perfekt, i love it. Really cool, im looking up things constantly on how to do things in mpf, the docs are great and the community isvreally helpful.

I think i will make a simple 3d printed shape and sculpt upon it. I have done things in the past with clay, but im no pro neither. But it is fun when it turns out ok. I love your sculpt, and the color looks really cool as well.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kraken-pinball/page/2?hl=matthies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.