6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Mbecker
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 75 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

kraken_2.gif
    kraken_1 (resized).jpg
    kraken_4 (resized).jpg
    kraken_3 (resized).jpg
    kraken_2 (resized).jpg
    kraken_1 (resized).jpg
    clapping-octopus (resized).png
    kraken_ramp.gif
    kraken_1 (resized).jpg
    0121201626 (resized).jpg
    kraken_3 (resized).jpg
    kraken_2 (resized).jpg
    kraken_1 (resized).jpg
    kraken-inserts (resized).jpg
    kraken_5 (resized).jpg
    kraken_3 (resized).jpg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 months ago

This just came in the mail today. Made me think of your project.

0121201626 (resized).jpg
    #52 5 months ago

Nice! It's probably no surprise that after I chose the theme I somehow managed to build up a small collection of Kraken Rum bottles.

#53 5 months ago
    Quoted from matthies:

Nice! It's probably no surprise that after I chose the theme I somehow managed to build up a small collection of Kraken Rum bottles.

To study of course!Such dedication.

#54 5 months ago

Finally able to test the ramp to see if it actually works. I designed it without knowing whether it would work or not, so it was a massive relief to see this:

kraken_ramp.gif

I was surprised by how smoothly the ball landed on the wireforms and by how fairly light shots still made it up the ramp entrance.

I still have some work to do on each end of the wireform, but here's how it looks on the playfield:

kraken_1 (resized).jpg

I'm not a fan of how some ramps will bounce the ball around before releasing it to the playfield because it looks clunky. So my goal is to have a smooth exit that releases the ball a bit faster than normal towards the flippers. I'm sure I'll need to add extra protection to the playfield, but I want a fast and smooth ramp exit.

#55 5 months ago

Well done!That is nice smooth ball action, especially for the first time. Time to give up your day job.

#56 5 months ago

Ramp and form look awesome, great work so far!!! Curious to see how silver solder holds up.. I used a Blowtorch on mine with brass and joining rods — was not the easiest to use. Was hoping to weld final versions but wondering if solder could work well now.. that’s stainless for the forms?

#57 5 months ago

Don't know if this is intended but the shape of ramps remind me of a tentacle. Maybe you could powder coat or make some mold to go with the wire forms to that effect. Just an idea!

#58 5 months ago
    Quoted from matthies:

Finally able to test the ramp to see if it actually works. I designed it without knowing whether it would work or not, so it was a massive relief to see this:
    [quoted image]
    I was surprised by how smoothly the ball landed on the wireforms and by how fairly light shots still made it up the ramp entrance.
    I still have some work to do on each end of the wireform, but here's how it looks on the playfield:
    [quoted image]
    I'm not a fan of how some ramps will bounce the ball around before releasing it to the playfield because it looks clunky. So my goal is to have a smooth exit that releases the ball a bit faster than normal towards the flippers. I'm sure I'll need to add extra protection to the playfield, but I want a fast and smooth ramp exit.

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. Great work on the ramps! I look forward to watching the progress of this HB and seeing it in action someday!

#59 5 months ago

This is bad ass. It looks awesome!!

#60 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Was hoping to weld final versions but wondering if solder could work well now.. that’s stainless for the forms?

Same here. Would have prefered to weld it properly, but this will do for now until I properly learn to weld. If problems show up later on, I'll mention it on this thread. All stainless steel 304.

Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Don't know if this is intended but the shape of ramps remind me of a tentacle. Maybe you could powder coat or make some mold to go with the wire forms to that effect. Just an idea!

Great minds think alike! The plan is to make tentacles to wrap around the ramps.

#61 5 months ago
    Quoted from matthies:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

That is soooo cool.

#62 5 months ago

clapping-octopus (resized).png
    #63 5 months ago

Needed a bit of a break from making ramps, so I cut the plastics:

kraken_1 (resized).jpg

I was going to order laser cut plastic, but the cheapest quote was $110 (AUD), while a blank sheet of clear polycarbonate cost under $20 on eBay. So I printed the design out on paper, cut the paper parts out, taped them onto the plastic, then used a jigsaw to cut them. Pretty simple.

kraken_2 (resized).jpg

kraken_3 (resized).jpg

Just need to sand the edges so they're nice and smooth and drill holes for posts. The art won't be done for a long time, so these will just sit around until then.

kraken_4 (resized).jpg

#64 5 months ago

Hello, you can ask at WWW.SOS-PINBALL.COM 8 euros worldwide shipping

#65 5 months ago

Despite the 38°C weather (100F), I sweated my way through finishing the left ramp.

kraken_1 (resized).jpg

It's not as smooth as the right ramp so it needs a bit of fine-tuning. The area to screw down at the back is way too big, so it sticks out into the orbit area. I'll cut the left support off and try something else, otherwise I'll change the design and get a new one laser cut.

Here are the ramps in action:

kraken_2.gif

Pretty happy with the progress I've made in under two months. But things will slow down now that I need to start working on the art. I really want this machine to look professional, so I'll be taking my time to get the art as good as possible.

If I was rich, I'd throw a wad of cash to Zombie Yeti as it would be awesome to see him come up with wild sea monsters all over the playfield and cabinet.

#66 5 months ago

Badass!!! Love the 180 returns on ramps. Where’s that spinner on the left leading to though?

#67 5 months ago

You can see in the other photos that the spinner leads to the orbit. As I mentioned, the support for the ramp sticks out too far, so I'll need to cut it off so it doesn't block the orbit. That's why it doesn't look right in the latest photos.

#68 5 months ago
    Quoted from matthies:

You can see in the other photos that the spinner leads to the orbit. As I mentioned, the support for the ramp sticks out too far, so I'll need to cut it off so it doesn't block the orbit. That's why it doesn't look right in the latest photos.

Gotcha — missed that. Really want to see this thing flip!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    $ 599.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Stranger Things Topper Out of stock
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside