(Topic ID: 25545)

Knowing what you do now, would you have bought a XM LE ?

By rai

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by muttonboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy the XM if you got a of over?”

• I would wait and pick up a super cheap resale 23 votes
    22%
  • I would not have bought this buggy game sight unseen 18 votes
    17%
  • I'd buy it again just the same 43 votes
    42%
  • I diid not buy one, but if it could go back and preorder I would have 2 votes
    2%
  • Other 17 votes
    17%

(103 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I have a Wolverine, bought on the hype that it was a limited edition pin, i did not want to miss out on the next Tron LE. Now it turns out that it is for sale all over the crap place and for less than the preorder price. Also turns out the code is crap and the toys are cheap and both the main doll and posts have to be hacked.

I like my XM LE ok, not selling it, but if I had to do it again not sure I would, probably just have taken that $6600 and bought Apple options (knowing what I know now).

#2 11 years ago

I actually cancelled my pre-order after the pics were released...and eventually ended up with a Wolverines.

I'm REALLY liking the game a lot. The super tight shots are very well done...the artwork and animations are Williams like. The software is decent as is...but does need work

I'm certainly not a Stern guy...but I think the game is awesome.

A lot people you see selling are the guys that wanted to flip an LE for a profit...now they're a bit scared they have another TF on their hands...and want out. I got mine from a guy that bought 2...certainly he wasn't gonna open both of them.

I think grabbing an HUO LE now at 6k will be a steal for the future. There's a reason Borg isn't assigned to another game yet =)

#3 11 years ago

I picked up a Pro and couldn't be happier. Hate the Ice ramp and spinning disk, so it's a win win. Didn't dig the LE at all.

#4 11 years ago

Heck ya, it is a great game. Just a tight market now and people are selling them a little cheaper, this game will hold up fine and still is a blast to play. I love it!

#5 11 years ago

It has not gone down enough to justify response 1 ... yet.

#6 11 years ago

I really enjoy my LE and played a Pro which was fun just not the same...did love the ice man ramp on the PRO though! IF I could do it over I would have probably bought a HUO one however it was fun opening the box and look forward to doing it again!!!

#7 11 years ago

You are missing a choice for "Picked up a PRO instead"

I own a PRO and am thrilled with the game. The LE is very nice, but overpriced. I am very satisfied with my purchase and look forward to more software updates, which I know are coming.

#8 11 years ago

Every game once it comes out is for sale all over the place, not just reserved for a new X-men LE. Shit, try to find a for sale ad without seeing a SM and that game is rock solid, one of Stern's best.

Code is Crap? - Don't feel that way. It is still not done, but it is not crap. Just not awesome. Combos and tweaking are things they are working on. Once again, look at any of the Stern games to see updates on software.

Toy Tweaking? - Inconvenience but not a big deal. You mention TRON but I can go into all of the QC issues people were having with it when it came out. The rubber on the disc was notorious for not being right.

Investment?- Bought my BSM for way under MSP when it came out from a seller who did not think it would appreciate. I remember contemplating buying it from him used, or paying slightly more to get it from a disributor. One distributor brought one to a local show and was selling it for 3800. Don't know if it sold as it wasn't pulled.

If you were looking for it to appreciate like Apple options 2 months after it came out, you will be disappointed with 99% of the pins out there. AC/DC Bible is the only pin in recent memory that has appreciated enough to warrant not buying Apple options. With premiums coming out, don't know if it will continue to climb at the same rate.

Pinball machines are fun to play with, Apple stocks, while they appreciate and the paper looks cool, not so fun. You're going to see this quoted a million times in this thread so be warned, "Pinball is not a good investment".

You bought it for 6600, let's see where it is in 1-2 years.

#9 11 years ago

I am enjoying my Wolvie even though it shows me how bad my game can be.The challenge is there and makes me want to play again and again.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

A lot people you see selling are the guys that wanted to flip an LE for a profit...now they're a bit scared they have another TF on their hands...and want out. I got mine from a guy that bought 2...certainly he wasn't gonna open both of them.

I know a lot of guys that did this. Almost bought one from a guy in LA who had 3.

Lots of reasons for the speculation. People in the know saying it would be a 10,000 pin by Christmas. 5000 Pinside thread, Limited LE run with no Premium model, different play field than pro, not based on movie, hot designer, looked like a reverse of TRON that everybody loves, custom dots, super deep rule set, etc...,

Hasn't worked out that way...yet. Still believe it will appreciate, but more like SM and not AC/DC. Most people still think it is a very good game with potential of being great after the next code update.

Lots of reasons for no super appreciation. Pro has been one of the more popular Pro models. Wolverine toy needed a fix out of the box for LE models. First code was terrible. Hype was too much.

#11 11 years ago

Rumor is a massive code update end of Oct.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Rumor is a massive code update end of Oct.

both or just LE? Had heard they went to a one code system (Le stuff in all of the program just not active in pro)

#13 11 years ago

The game is really really fun and cool. Software does need a lot of improvements. That said, my biggest complaint is all the board issues people are having; I hope stern gets the bugs out soon! Besides that, the game is good - not great; the software will determine its ultimate greatness factor IMO. If they put in as much effort as ACDC, game is gonna sky rocket, if it's a TF power pack update, I don't expect it to be a must have pin.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have a Wolverine, bought on the hype that it was a limited edition pin, i did not want to miss out on the next TRON LE. Now it turns out that it is for sale all over the crap place and for less than the preorder price. Also turns out the code is crap and the toys are cheap and both the main doll and posts have to be hacked.
I like my XM LE ok, not selling it, but if I had to do it again not sure I would, probably just have taken that $6600 and bought Apple options (knowing what I know now).

You bought for the wrong reason.

Should have bought because you love the theme and wanted a pinball machine with that theme.

#15 11 years ago

I dont care about its value. Its staying in my home. Very happy with it and I would buy it again because I get good prices from JJ and really like NIB shipped right to my home.

#16 11 years ago

Both games will get updated.

Quoted from HOOKED:

both or just LE? Had heard they went to a one code system (Le stuff in all of the program just not active in pro)

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have a Wolverine, bought on the hype that it was a limited edition pin, i did not want to miss out on the next TRON LE.

Next Tron LE? I thought they were just running pro's.......fill me in please

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Next TRON LE? I thought they were just running pro's.......fill me in please

I think he meant he didn't want to miss out on a similar situation where the XMLE shot up in value like the Tron LE did.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Next TRON LE? I thought they were just running pro's.......fill me in please

I think he was saying it was 'to be' the next tron LE..(correct me if I'm wrong)

#20 11 years ago

oops, Draino beat me to it...

#21 11 years ago

I completely agree with Hwawonyu, I don't care what it's worth today because it'll be staying in the home. I really enjoy playing it and my kids (and their buddies) love playing it. It's a fun game that I think will only get better with an update or two. I've had to put some work into it for a few issues but that's pinball. Also bought from JJ and it was our first NIB game, definitely a cool experience opening up the game.

#22 11 years ago

I think people have short memories in this hobby. A lot of folks were speculating on this game (some guys buying two at a time) and wanting it to be the "next Tron LE". But Tron was not the hot commodity it is today until months after its release, once it was nearly impossible to find and a proven commodity.

It sucks to have to hear about some of the bad QC on this pin, which I have been mostly fortunate to avoid so far, but I would still have purchased it. It's just too cool not to. And, when the code is up to par, I suspect a lot of people are going to regret dumping them. Unlike Tron, XM LE has some huge differences over the pro that are not easily replaced.

Let's have this discussion again in 6-12 months and then we might be able to really draw a fair comparison. I think a few dissilusioned owners and a bunch of guys that were "banking" on this game reaching $10K by Christmas are bailing at the first sign of trouble. that does not make it a bad pin. This game will likely go down as one of the deepest of all time and a lot of fun too boot.

#23 11 years ago

Borg's reputation is kind of on this pin so hopefully he will be putting everything into the next code update.

And the last thing Stern want is dissatisfaction with WOZ just around the corner...

#24 11 years ago

Its definitely one to get kids interested in playing pinball!

#25 11 years ago

I bought the game for the title and I'm enjoying it. I play acdc more right now but I'm looking forward to a code update and maybe some cool mods. I would buy it again

#26 11 years ago

Knowing what I know now I think I would have passed given my satisfaction level so far and waited for Avengers. I love the theme and think the game is beautiful, but the play doesn't keep me coming back....yet. I'm patient though, so I'm waiting for another code update or two to pass judgment. I don't buy pins as investments so current pricing is irrelevant to my thoughts about the pin at this point. I also don't flip pins often so it'll be a year or so before I would give up on it and by then we should have a much clearer verdict.

#27 11 years ago

I don't like the moving iceman ramp. It's too intrusive when going across the playfield. I would much rather have the Pro version.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

don't like the moving iceman ramp. It's too intrusive when going across the playfield

At first I felt that way but as I get more comfortable with the game I actually find I like that very feature for mixing it up.

#29 11 years ago

I don't get the hate. I'd LOVE to have an XMLE. Either one! Hell, I'd love a pro!

#30 11 years ago

I LOVE X-Men. I grew up pretending i was Nightcrawler and running around going *Bzzzzap

The LE is out of my price bracket, but a Pro could be in my future.

Honestly the only thing that has me on the fence is the shity voice acting in spots. Beast..... ya....

A simple code update and all of this could turn right around. Time will tell.

#31 11 years ago

I am a x-men fan. Wolverine to say the least... It's a keeper in my house and love the pin. But boy is this iceman ramp a pita! ALready adjusted wolverine and im ramp and it still goes back to right ramp everytime I go for a iceman ramp shot when it's on the left. Does not hit wolv and I am guessing it's part of the sabretooth villian mode that it goes back to the right after the ball goes up the ramp making the ball hit the left ramp led lamp. Have to adjust upper flipper now because I am still getting airballs after replacing ramp posts. Seams like when ball falls down the lane the upper flipper is not aligned 100% with the lane so a small drop happens when I go for storm or rogue.

It's a fun game but I am always catching myself trying to see if something is wrong with it while I am playing it. Which effect my gameplay tyring to troubleshoot rather then try and beat a mode. Finally got through Brotherhood and liked it VERY much! Pyro looks and sounds very nice!

#32 11 years ago

Too early to call it on this pin. It really all depends on software now.

I'm hopefully done with all the Q&A that should have been done at the factory. As long as the game does not end up being full of Roppiness, I can see the pin lasting awhile.

#33 11 years ago

Pro is the way to go for tournament play. No hassles

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

I LOVE X-Men. I grew up pretending i was Nightcrawler and running around going *Bzzzzap
The LE is out of my price bracket, but a Pro could be in my future.
Honestly the only thing that has me on the fence is the shity voice acting in spots. Beast..... ya....
A simple code update and all of this could turn right around. Time will tell.

When I read the books, it was always "Bamf".
Did they change it to Bzzzzap or were you just a funny kid?

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Borg's reputation is kind of on this pin so hopefully he will be putting everything into the next code update.
And the last thing Stern want is dissatisfaction with WOZ just around the corner...

How is his reputation on the line? He made two killer games just recently with Tron and IM. While BHH may not get alot of love, it's an awesome game. I love it and hope to get one some day. I think the theme is the turn off on that one.

I love Xmen. I don't have either version, but have played it enough to know I want an LE. Had a chance to buy a NIB for a great price, but I only want the LE. I'm not sure it's going to happen though. I can justify the $6K price tag -- about avrg asking price --- but then I have to add sales tax as I'm in Canada and most are for sale in the States. Once the tax is factored in, it's more than I want to pay.

Still I love the LE. The spinning disk really makes the game to me. If the Pro had the disk, I could probably live with it. But without the disk, it's just not the same game.

As others have mentioned, it's very, very early to judge the success of the game. After Tron came out, alot of folks were dumping them. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on a great deal for a fully modded Tron. It sat unsold for a few weeks before finally selling. I knew Tron was a great game when it came out, and I'm thinking the same of Xmen. I like the layout, depth of rules alot more on Xmen vs Tron.

Cheers,
Duane

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

How is his reputation on the line? He made two killer games just recently with Tron and IM. While BHH may not get alot of love, it's an awesome game. I love it and hope to get one some day. I think the theme is the turn off on that one.
I love Xmen. I don't have either version, but have played it enough to know I want an LE. Had a chance to buy a NIB for a great price, but I only want the LE. I'm not sure it's going to happen though. I can justify the $6K price tag -- about avrg asking price --- but then I have to add sales tax as I'm in Canada and most are for sale in the States. Once the tax is factored in, it's more than I want to pay.
Still I love the LE. The spinning disk really makes the game to me. If the Pro had the disk, I could probably live with it. But without the disk, it's just not the same game.
As others have mentioned, it's very, very early to judge the success of the game. After Tron came out, alot of folks were dumping them. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on a great deal for a fully modded Tron. It sat unsold for a few weeks before finally selling. I knew Tron was a great game when it came out, and I'm thinking the same of Xmen. I like the layout, depth of rules alot more on Xmen vs Tron.
Cheers,
Duane

Maybe a slight exaggeration but because his last 2 games have been great, he will want XM to be rated along side IM and TRON which is good for us as hopefully they are doing everything to ensure this

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

There's a reason Borg isn't assigned to another game yet =)

Because he is busy playing ACDC.

#38 11 years ago

I probably would of waited for an huo, didn't really think about the fact the code usually gets updated on the pros an the le usually has a pretty awesome code. With them doing le's first we get minimal code and people are selling them local at pre sale cost w/o shipping. I do really like the game over my Spider-Man though so I am fine with the lil extra paid for shipping to get it right away

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

When I read the books, it was always "Bamf".
Did they change it to Bzzzzap or were you just a funny kid?

No *Bamf is correct but what your missing is the visual.

I was running around going *zzzzzz in *Bzzzzzzzzap. Cant really do that with *bamf. lol

#40 11 years ago

I think I would have bought. Having my best pinball bud buying one NIB influenced me greatly. It is also the first pin I he has owned that I haven't had to talk him out of selling yet!!

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

No *Bamf is correct but what your missing is the visual.
I was running around going *zzzzzz in *Bzzzzzzzzap. Cant really do that with *bamf. lol

Yes,
I'm sure it a video existed, that would take it over the top.
We all did funny things when we were kids.

#43 11 years ago

I traded my Magneto, so obviously the answer to the question of whether I would have bought it knowing what I know now, it would be no.

But X-Men sure does have plenty of things going for it, and if I had played it at someone's house for a day, I probably would have been impressed enough to buy it. But it doesn't hold up once you've played it regularly. At least not to me.

This is what I posted in the X-Men thread over a week ago:

Well I've had my Magneto for 7 weeks now. My initial impressions were fairly positive and they became more positive after the updated code. But I'm at at the point now where it is rather obvious to me that I'm just not going to enjoy this pin, and it is definitely not for me.

One thing that is interesting is that it is hard for me to put a finger on exactly what it is that I don't like about the pin. But it is very clear to me that I most definitely do not enjoy it. I've felt this way for awhile now, but I keep wanting to be positive, not make any quick decisions, and to be cautious of buyer remorse. I'm past that now. It just isn't enjoyable or fun.....and my original review talked about how *fun* this pin was!

Honestly, looking through my current collection and history, I think there might be one pin that I've owned that I cared for less than I do X-Men.

The funny thing is, looking at the pin as objectively as possible:

1) it is one of the BEST looking pins that I've ever owned!

2) The theme is EXCELLENT and well implemented

3) The artwork, based on the comics, is VERY good!

4) The lighting is fantastic and really makes the PF look great

5) The toys/features are pretty cool

6) Sounds are excellent (with a few exceptions with some of the call outs/voices) and of high quality

7) Modes galore, and almost every one of them is cool in terms of the personality of each character

8 ) Great dots! The animations are very impressive.

Despite all the above.....I just don't care for how this pin plays at all. It never draws me in, I never feel like I want to push the start button again when the game is over. Most games feel very much the same to me, no big differences....and this is despite being able to scroll through the villain modes to decide which one you are going to play. It seems that the vast majority of my games have a score within 5 million points of each other. So often when my ball or game is over, I'm just left shaking my head, and saying to myself "I really don't like this game". I rarely come away with any feeling of accomplishment. I think the way the pin scores has something to do with that. There are no high risk/reward goals in this game. It also seems to be lacking in terms of having to come up with much strategy to score the most points, other than trying to stack a mode with a MB.

I was going to hold out for the new code, but I don't think I'm going to do that at this point. Just not going to make enough difference in how the pin shoots, which is one thing that I can point to that I don't like.

Sucks that my first NIB purchase was a miss for me. So much going for it too. Oh well.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Because he is busy playing ACDC.

Thanks....you made me spit some Coke through my nose!

#45 11 years ago

XMLE is a lot of fun, for that matter so is TFLE. Would do both again.

#46 11 years ago

Without question. Woverline No. 003 will never be leaving Lake Charles. Very pleased with the purchase.

#47 11 years ago

Knowing what I know now, I would still buy it. But of course, I would buy it for less since you can right now.
Everyone raves about Tron, SM and IM. All of those were ragged on when they first came out until the code was finished. Now, most everyone wants one.
I do agree with some things RobT said. At this time it is missing certain scoring aspects, and the little things which turn a game from good to great, like combos and stacking.
Borg is a designer. His job is done. The game is now in the hands of the programmers. As SR once told me, "I just do the whitewood. I don't do code."

Oh, moved this to Buying/selling advice.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Without question. Woverline No. 003 will never be leaving Lake Charles. Very pleased with the purchase.

Hey very nice! Wolverine 002 here in Lake Wallenpaupack PA. Also not going leaving any time soon.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

XMLE is a lot of fun, for that matter so is TFLE. Would do both again.

No doubt! If I was forced to sell XMLE or TFLE for the same price I bought it for today. XMLE would go bye bye. Not sure what my decision will be when XMLE is finished though. Time will tell.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from kdhunter:

Hey very nice! Wolverine 002 here in Lake Wallenpaupack PA. Also not going leaving any time soon.

I wonder where No 001 went to? Perhaps Lake of the Ozards (a real city btw).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/knowing-what-you-do-now-would-you-have-bought-a-xm-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.