kong_cartoon_05_(resized).jpg
AFPGetty-524554408_(resized).jpg
auction_(resized).jpg
thats_what_she_said_(resized).jpg
eca7989a3cccb2c53c63745b706141098cb85965_(resized).jpg
Popcorn.gif
king_kong_full_bust_(resized).jpg
Knockout_011_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dooskie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 7 years ago

I've been looking for this game. I'd appreciate any opinions about this listing I found on Mr. Pinball:

Knockout, 1950 Gottlieb: $7000 firm
This game is a real beauty. On rec.games.pinball noted pinball historian and author Gordon Hasse remarked, "it's got to be the premier example world-wide" after seeing pictures of it. This game was a labor of love for me. I bought the game in a long distance deal in 2003 and sat on it for a while because it needed a lot of cosmetic restoration. Actually it needed a new backglass, playfield restoration and the cabinet was in horrible shape. I bought a repro backglass from Shay Assad shortly after getting the game and then as luck would have it Wade Krause reproduced the playfield for this game and I bought one of those which I received in 2007. In the summer of 2010 I put in a solid six weeks full time restoring the game. For the cabinet repaint I went to an auto body paint supply store and took the cabinet in with me to match up as closely as possible to the original colors. There were unfaded original cabinet colors where the legs were as well as behind the shooter on the front of the cabinet. I made stencils based on patterns from the original cabinet and the entire cabinet restoration has been spray painted. I had to swap out the old playfield for the new repro playfield. The machine has been shopped and works great. This game looks brand new on the outside with the fresh cabinet, reproduction backglass and playfield. All bumper caps are original and I am also including two reproduction caps for both "100,000 when lit" caps that were purchased from Steve Young/The Pinball Resource. A schematic is also included. This game has had at most 20 plays on it since I did the restoration and there is no wear on it at all.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Does anybody do more trolling price check threads than the OP?

Seems like you are the one doing the trolling. I'm simply asking questions about machines I'm interested in buying. Thought that was part of what Pinside was all about. If you don't like me, or you don't like my price threads, then don't read them pal.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Does anybody do more trolling price check threads than the OP?

So instead of being such a negative shithead all the time, why don't you throw your golf clubs in your car, bring a couple of New York Pinsiders with you, head north and we can all play some golf, throw back a couple of beers and give my pinball machines a workout. I can get a couple of pinball guys from around here, between us we've got 15-20 machines.

Olive branch extended.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Come on dude, it's not an olive branch if it's covered in shit. Very hard to get a grip on it.
I just don't think anybody here seriously believes you have any interest in buying an $8,000 Knockout or George Riley's fantastic $50,000 collection of some of the worst games ever made.
So why do you keep asking us about this stuff?

Standing offer. Good luck to ya.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

OP......you have a King Kong in your collection....very nice! Howd you score a King Kong?!

I'll shoot you a PM. You will see shortly why the mods do not permit me to talk about it in the forum.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I too would like to get in on this monkey pile!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Aaand that's pretty much how that other thread went

Aaaand you had an opportunity to quell things in this thread and decided not to.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You are perfectly free to talk about whatever you'd like. The suggestion to provide photographic evidence was to quell any doubt or skeptics in an earlier thread that got out of hand because of the lack of proof.

Adam, if you would like to continue this conversation in the open forum, I am happy to. However, you are paraphrasing the very direct and strict instructions that you gave to me in a PM. You sure you want all of that out in front of everyone?

This topic was about a Knockout pinball game that I simply asked about pricing. You have let it escalate to this. Maybe it would be appropriate for you, as a moderator, to close this thread.

Your call. I have not done anything against Pinside's forum rules.

#42 7 years ago

Not a bad idea.

#50 7 years ago

I'm not going to comment on that one way or the other Being a mod on Pinside has got to be a thankless job. Why anyone would want to do it is beyond me.

Again, this thread was about the pin Knockout. Thanks for the responses.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Allow me to clear up any confusion.
You are allowed to continue your conversation regarding your acquisition of Data East King Kong on the open forum as long as you provide pictures of your King Kong. If you are unwilling to provide pictures of your King Kong, then we, Pinside Staff, have decided that a conversation on the open forum would just be a dumpster fire and we don't feel that it would benefit Pinside to have that fire.
It's pretty simple. If you want to talk about your King Kong, provide pictures. If not, then its best if you just enjoy your find without the benefit of discussing on the open forums.
If you have any questions about this, please open a moderator feedback thread.
As for this thread, I'm asking everyone to re-focus on the topic, which is the market price of a 1950 Gottlieb Knockout.
Thanks.
Marcus

Marcus, you can go back through every single thread and comment that I have made since Adam told me to discontinue conversation regarding King Kong. I have respected that request, so I have not contributed to the PS dumpster fire. As I told Adam, I sold the machine, and unfortunately it ended up finding it's way back to me. It's in Wisconsin now and once I close my golf course for the season I'll deal with it then.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey guys, I picked up some weird game at my Niece's swim team cake walk/bake sale/swap meet. It's some strange game about aliens at an outer space bar. It's in good shape but has wear by the entrance this tubular ramp, also there are these aliens who lock balls and one of them has a chip missing. There's a line missing from the display.
I paid $400, do you guys think that was a fair deal? Can I get parts for this game? I can't seem to find anything about it online.

You got one thing right....you definitely have a chip missing.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

To re-iterate what Marcus said and what I said to Dooskie via PM a while back--
Proof isn't necessary for all games from everyone since most games are fairly common and claims of ownership don't cause drama, controversy, and arguments. In certain special situations like this one that involves a rare title with a run of less than 100, it tends to be met with a healthy amount of skepticism, and claims of ownership aren't normally taken at face value without some photos to back it up.
So, to put an end to all the arguments, badgering, and drama for this particular situation every time it is brought up, photos were requested. If/when photos do surface, I'm sure folks would be more than happy to congratulate Dooskie on his incredible find.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rarest-game-you-own/page/8

What you and Marcus do not understand is that I was not, and am not, looking for any 'congratulations' or whatever. When I wrote about having a machine fixed, at that time I didn't know anybody locally that worked on pinball games. That's why I asked a simple frickin' question about having it fixed by someone not trained to fix it, or to just leave it alone. You, along with everybody else and their second cousin, decided to jump in at that point.

Lesson learned. And I've also learned to trust what others have had to say about the Pinside forums. Holy cow, talking about making an Empire State Building out of a pinball machine! (that's a joke, btw)

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

man some of you rare game collectors really are up tight.
Let the guy talk about whatever he wants as for claiming game ownership. If he wants to claim he owns a rare game but chooses not to provide pictures of the game, then so be it.
I know collectors that never post on pinside but own some super rare titles. Would you crucify them if then showed up to talk about pins someday?

Yes, they certainly would.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

If you said that you picked up a prototype woodrail with a confirmed production of less than 10 units (all of which are supposedly accounted for), and then posted a pic of a Bally Star Trek, some would remain justifiably skeptical about your claim.

You obviously did not read the thread very carefully. Try again.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's similar to the art world. People keep track of particularly rare, significant, and desirable pieces. And owners are typically seen as custodians of the piece with a responsibility to care for it while it is in their possession.

oh really

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's clear you don't appreciate that particular game--or many newer games for that matter, but plenty of other people do. Raining on someone's parade accomplishes nothing.

And what happened to keeping this on the topic of the pinball game Knockout?

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yep. Pinball has now gone beyond a commercial money making machine with a life span of five years. It is now in the category of Rembrandts and Van Goghs. And should be treated as such.

Don't forget Lloyd's...

AFPGetty-524554408_(resized).jpgAFPGetty-524554408_(resized).jpg

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I was wealthy enough, I would seek out a King Kong just so I could smash it and blow it up.
Then pinside would have all the pictures it needs.

lol...that's actually not such a bad thought. I wouldn't be out much, and the pandemonium it would cause would worth the price of admission.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So now you say you can make a full video for all of us with your game? That's even better than a photo. LOL
You do realize the only way you bought a King Kong for $200 is if the person you bought it from burglarized one of the collectors homes and sold it to you so he could buy smack, right? If you indeed have the game the only reason you are not posting pics would be because of your concern with law enforcement over being in possession of known stolen property.

Exactly where did I say ANYTHING about making a full video for all of you?

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Oh, and we were totally expecting one, too.

not very 'moderator like,' eh?

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Sure, as a moderator who has had numerous discussions about this topic with you...I'm completely expecting a video (or pictures) to surface at some point.

There's enough vids up of that already. Also, I'm sure there's nothing up there that anyone would want.

your rules boss

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Why don't you show us another video of all those playfields on your ceiling. Maybe there's one there somebody could use.

lol, really?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dooskie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/knockout-of-a-deal?tu=dooskie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.