AFPGetty-524554408_(resized).jpg
auction_(resized).jpg
thats_what_she_said_(resized).jpg
eca7989a3cccb2c53c63745b706141098cb85965_(resized).jpg
Popcorn.gif
king_kong_full_bust_(resized).jpg
Knockout_011_(resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

I've been looking for this game. I'd appreciate any opinions about this listing I found on Mr. Pinball:

Knockout, 1950 Gottlieb: $7000 firm
This game is a real beauty. On rec.games.pinball noted pinball historian and author Gordon Hasse remarked, "it's got to be the premier example world-wide" after seeing pictures of it. This game was a labor of love for me. I bought the game in a long distance deal in 2003 and sat on it for a while because it needed a lot of cosmetic restoration. Actually it needed a new backglass, playfield restoration and the cabinet was in horrible shape. I bought a repro backglass from Shay Assad shortly after getting the game and then as luck would have it Wade Krause reproduced the playfield for this game and I bought one of those which I received in 2007. In the summer of 2010 I put in a solid six weeks full time restoring the game. For the cabinet repaint I went to an auto body paint supply store and took the cabinet in with me to match up as closely as possible to the original colors. There were unfaded original cabinet colors where the legs were as well as behind the shooter on the front of the cabinet. I made stencils based on patterns from the original cabinet and the entire cabinet restoration has been spray painted. I had to swap out the old playfield for the new repro playfield. The machine has been shopped and works great. This game looks brand new on the outside with the fresh cabinet, reproduction backglass and playfield. All bumper caps are original and I am also including two reproduction caps for both "100,000 when lit" caps that were purchased from Steve Young/The Pinball Resource. A schematic is also included. This game has had at most 20 plays on it since I did the restoration and there is no wear on it at all.

#2 7 years ago

That's way over-priced.

#3 7 years ago

Pulling a number out of the air, I'd guess $1200 would be reasonable for that title in exceptional condition.

[edit]: Apparently, it's worth a lot more than that--more than most other woodrails of the era. I wasn't aware of what they were actually going for since I didn't see too many sales figures on a cursory search.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pulling a number out of the air, I'd guess $1200 would be reasonable for that title in exceptional condition.
[edit]: Apparently, it's worth a lot more than that--more than most other woodrails of the era. I wasn't aware of what they were actually going for since I didn't see too many sales figures on a cursory search.

Yeah, I think this is like the Atlantis of woodrails (perhaps more rare, too), definitely a gem in the woodrail scene. Those people will pay a pretty penny for what they want, too!

#5 7 years ago

One of those deals where an owner poured time, money, and effort in something not monetarily worth the those three things to the next person. You should not pay for a labor of love.

#7 7 years ago

Gotta admit that's sharp. The boxing ring feature is very cool, what an example of mechanical engineering.

#8 7 years ago

That is one sweet machine!

#9 7 years ago

Rare or not, there's one on eBay for $1695 with free shipping that looks fairly clean (maybe not restored but good for its age).

ebay.com link: like

Not trying to put seller down, just giving the OP some data.

#10 7 years ago

There are two very different Knockout games. The one on Ebay is a Bally game from 1975. The one being discussed is the Gottlieb woodrail from 1950.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from bajm:

Rare or not, there's one on eBay for $1695 with free shipping that looks fairly clean (maybe not restored but good for its age).
ebay.com link » Like
Not trying to put seller down, just giving the OP some data.

Did you even look at the pictures? Those games are about 30 years apart.

#12 7 years ago

My apologizes, looks to be a different game.

#13 7 years ago

GTB Knock Out is a very hard to find desirable woodrail title that is very sought after. It has a good art package, good playability, and it is one of very few games if any that have playfield animation (similar to an arcade game). The going price has been around $4500 for one in very good condition working. I sold one for $4450 a year or two ago (see pic). You see one for sale that needs restored in the 3K+ range occasionally.

Knockout_011_(resized).JPGKnockout_011_(resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

Knockout was the first multiball game I ever played when I was a kid. I'd just keep loading and launching them. I have very fond memories of that game.

#15 7 years ago

Does anybody do more trolling price check threads than the OP?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seems like you are the one doing the trolling. I'm simply asking questions about machines I'm interested in buying. Thought that was part of what Pinside was all about. If you don't like me, or you don't like my price threads, then don't read them pal.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So instead of being such a negative shithead all the time, why don't you throw your golf clubs in your car, bring a couple of New York Pinsiders with you, head north and we can all play some golf, throw back a couple of beers and give my pinball machines a workout. I can get a couple of pinball guys from around here, between us we've got 15-20 machines.

Olive branch extended.

#18 7 years ago

Come on dude, it's not an olive branch if it's covered in shit. Very hard to get a grip on it.

I just don't think anybody here seriously believes you have any interest in buying an $8,000 Knockout or George Riley's fantastic $50,000 collection of some of the worst games ever made.

So why do you keep asking us about this stuff?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Come on dude, it's not an olive branch if it's covered in shit. Very hard to get a grip on it.
I just don't think anybody here seriously believes you have any interest in buying an $8,000 Knockout or George Riley's fantastic $50,000 collection of some of the worst games ever made.
So why do you keep asking us about this stuff?

Standing offer. Good luck to ya.

#20 7 years ago

OP......you have a King Kong in your collection....very nice! Howd you score a King Kong?!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

OP......you have a King Kong in your collection....very nice! Howd you score a King Kong?!

I'll shoot you a PM. You will see shortly why the mods do not permit me to talk about it in the forum.

#22 7 years ago

Rumor has it, its a King Kong no one knew existed till now. Looking forward to reading/seeing about it

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

You will see shortly why the mods do not permit me to talk about it in the forum.

Because it's not real?

#24 7 years ago

Everyone would be thrilled to see photos of the King Kong newly discovered to be in existence. Of course, OP said he already sold it to a woman who made a very nice offer, and later said it would be staying in his private collection. Who knows, maybe he bought 2 King Kongs (Kings Kong?). Anyway, I'm leaning towards OP being a liar.

#25 7 years ago

Reminder: Please keep this thread on track... this is not about King Kong, but about a Knockout, 1950 Gottlieb.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

[edit]: Apparently, it's worth a lot more than that--more than most other woodrails of the era.

Any idea why?

#26 7 years ago

Beautiful game and well worth the price

#27 7 years ago

Very rare game - took me a long time to find one. Currently waiting for restoration with a new repro pf....

#28 7 years ago

Because as far as woodrails go back glass animation is very desirable, but play field animation like the boxers in the boxing ring of this machine is uncommon and very well integrated into gameplay.
Very cool machine! They seem to be listed between 4-6 depending on original condition and restoration completed or needed.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

I'll shoot you a PM. You will see shortly why the mods do not permit me to talk about it in the forum.

I would like a PM also. Interested to hear more

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

You are perfectly free to talk about whatever you'd like. The suggestion to provide photographic evidence was to quell any doubt or skeptics in an earlier thread that got out of hand because of the lack of proof.

#31 7 years ago

Just post a picture of King Kong not that hard takes 2 seconds. If op can't he's obviously just lying.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Just post a picture of King Kong not that hard takes 2 seconds. If op can't he's obviously just lying.

Aaand that's pretty much how that other thread went

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Just post a picture of King Kong

king_kong_full_bust_(resized).jpgking_kong_full_bust_(resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

LOL I've never seen the other thread. Any link?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

LOL I've never seen the other thread. Any link?

I too would like to get in on this monkey pile!

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I too would like to get in on this monkey pile!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Aaaand you had an opportunity to quell things in this thread and decided not to.

#38 7 years ago

Did you ever get to your friends place to take pix?

#39 7 years ago

I have to admit it takes balls to post a troll thread claiming you picked up that elusive $20,000 game for pennies at a yard sale, and then post a bunch of pictures of a Bally Star Trek.

how in God's name did I miss that thread?

The Dookster truly is one of our best under-the-radar trolls - I much more prefer a "who, me?" act like this to the more in-your-face types. Subtlety and finesse are a virtue.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You are perfectly free to talk about whatever you'd like. The suggestion to provide photographic evidence was to quell any doubt or skeptics in an earlier thread that got out of hand because of the lack of proof.

Adam, if you would like to continue this conversation in the open forum, I am happy to. However, you are paraphrasing the very direct and strict instructions that you gave to me in a PM. You sure you want all of that out in front of everyone?

This topic was about a Knockout pinball game that I simply asked about pricing. You have let it escalate to this. Maybe it would be appropriate for you, as a moderator, to close this thread.

Your call. I have not done anything against Pinside's forum rules.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

#42 7 years ago

Not a bad idea.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Adam, if you would like to continue this conversation in the open forum, I am happy to. However, you are paraphrasing the very direct and strict instructions that you gave to me in a PM. You sure you want all of that out in front of everyone?
This topic was about a Knockout pinball game that I simply asked about pricing. You have let it escalate to this. Maybe it would be appropriate for you, as a moderator, to close this thread.
Your call. I have not done anything against Pinside's forum rules.

I believe as the OP you can close this thread. Maybe not though. I've never done it.

#45 7 years ago

Grabbing popcorn...
Edit...wow, just read about the guy with the imaginary King Kong...hey you liar why doesnt your buddy send you a photo with his phone. Why would you have to drive there?

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Grabbing popcorn...

Yup

Popcorn.gifPopcorn.gif

#48 7 years ago

King Kong!!!! Photo please! Would love to hear the story!

#49 7 years ago

Hey guys, I picked up some weird game at my Niece's swim team cake walk/bake sale/swap meet. It's some strange game about aliens at an outer space bar. It's in good shape but has wear by the entrance this tubular ramp, also there are these aliens who lock balls and one of them has a chip missing. There's a line missing from the display.

I paid $400, do you guys think that was a fair deal? Can I get parts for this game? I can't seem to find anything about it online.

#50 7 years ago

I'm not going to comment on that one way or the other Being a mod on Pinside has got to be a thankless job. Why anyone would want to do it is beyond me.

Again, this thread was about the pin Knockout. Thanks for the responses.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/knockout-of-a-deal?hl=pinball_physics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.