4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by onefunbug
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider edednedy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

Are the plungers missing? Reason I ask is because I've seen melted coil before but never anything so bad that I couldn't reuse the plunger after some clean up.

As to why they melted. - It's almost always a stuck switch causing the coil to stay energized way longer than it should, Could simply be a stuck playfield switch or could be a switch on a relay not opening properly. Best thing to do would to look at the schematic and see what switches trigger these particular coils and make sure they are all opening and closing as they should, and are not sticking in one position.

By the way - The 2 worst melted coils I've ever seen were in games where a previous owner bypassed a fuse. One had an alligator clip jumper wire which also melted and the other had a #12 solid Romex looped over it. I have no idea how that one didn't burn up completely. So I would check to make sure no one did any funny stuff to the fuse block, just in case.

#4 4 years ago

Yep, I had a feeling about a fuse when you said how badly the coils were melted.

As long as you don't shorten that plunger any, you should be able to make it usable. File the edges of the mushroomed part and put a slight bevel on that end, and give it a try.

Your won't burn a coil up instantly. You can start a game, close switches one at time, and observe which ones energize the coils in question. If one switch causes the coil to stay energized, unstick that switch manually or shut the machine off and try again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider edednedy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/knockout-coil-plungers?tu=edednedy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.