(Topic ID: 171141)

Knocker/Flasher Issue

By TimberOne

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimberOne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I purchased a DESW game a while back and have been plowing through the issues one at a time.

Someone removed the knocker solenoid from the game. I purchased a replacement from Marco. Did a temporary wire job to test it out. Ran the diagnostics. Coils tested for a few cycles, then suddenly the flashers started flashing, one of the coils got stuck open and started smoking so I immediately shut it down. I found out that the transistor for the flashers was fried, this is the same circuit shared with the knocker. I replaced the transistor and the flashers seem to be working now but the LED bulbs are toasted on that circuit. I also found that another transistor in the same row had been replaced by someone else. A melted connector and scorched board.

From the posts, it seems like a lot of folks have problems with the knocker for some reason. I don't know why the other person removed the knocker, if it broke or if there is some other issue going on which is what worries me. It is possible that I connected the wires backwards on the knocker, but would that cause this type of issue? I am thinking something was wrong long before I got the game. Any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated.

I am getting 39V at the hot side and 32V on the backside of the bulb on the flasher circuit.

#2 7 years ago

I just realized flashers are supposed to be 18vdc not 39vdc! Bad power supply?

#3 7 years ago

I just checked the schematic and says 32vdc to flashers. I get 39v to orange wire and 32v to ground side. Is that still high?

1 week later
#4 7 years ago

Anyone out there that can lend a hand?

So I continue to learn and read any pinball info I can find. I know that the main transistor blew and also the secondary 2n4401 which I replaced both. So, flasher/knocker circuit still does not fire, it has power and can manually be test fired but no work. Those two are in paralell. Btw, before I replaced the larger tip transistor, the flasher would not shut OFF.

I also have another flasher circuit that continues to get low power and backbox flashers stay partially lit- 4-6 vdc.

Lastly, some fantom game actions happening, skill shot happens by itself with no ball launch.

Time for professional help??? Is their a place to send in the board? Does it sound like main board or power board?

Thank you in advance, hopefully someone chimes in.

#6 7 years ago

Thank you for your reply! Sounds good on the bulbs and reseating the chips, did not try that one. All fuses are good. There is power to both the flashers and the knocker, so assume has to be in the board area.

#8 7 years ago

Hi Chris, the knocker transistor was definately fried. The parallel flasher circuirt was stuck on. Replaced the tip and 2n transistor according to pinball repair manual. Now flasher off but wont flash ans knocker stil no knock. I suppose there are dozens of other components that could also be fried. Unless there is an easy suggestion, i will probably pack up the boards. I found some prior tracer repairs so who knows what went on. Thanks for your help.

#10 7 years ago

Got it! I will send cpu and power board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimberOne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/knockerflasher-issue?tu=TimberOne and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.