7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TimberOne
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimberOne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I am a novice at this, had pb in the past but never serviced them. I started purchasing again and I really like the techy nature and like learning, however my knowledge is limited, any help is greatly appreciated!

So i purchased this DESW machine, found that the knocker was removed. I am trying to keep the machine original I remember it was so cool getting that thump of a free play when I was a kid! Anyway I purchased a knocker coil from Marco, installed it and went to do a coil test through diagnostics. The diag went through about 6 rounds of testing, the knocker never did activate but noticed lights started flashing wildly on the backbox and then some smoke from the playfield! Immediately shut the machine off, pulled the plug, lifted the playfield. The transformer was super hot, to hot to touch and found that one of the hole coils was also super hot. Not sure if the smoke came from that or the transformer but the knocker was cold. I don't know if this is related to the knocker, or the diagnostics running too long or just coincidence. I have had the game running for a while and never saw any issues so I don't know if the diagnostics, the knocker or just something getting stuck. But it brings up a few questions:
1. Shouldn't the fuse have blown before a coil started to overheat? I checked the fuses when I got the machine and all to specs although 2 of the fuses need new holders installed (another project) but it should not keep it from blowing.
2. Could something like this actually start a fire? Maybe I need to move the machine to the garage or out of the game room!
3. I am wondering if the fact that the knocker was completely removed from the game indicates an issue. Where to start?

Thank you guys in advance!

#3 7 years ago

LTG,
Thank you for the quick reply. I feel a little better about the smoke, I have a fire paranoia- that's probably a good thing! Ill start digging in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimberOne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/knocker-issue-smoke?tu=TimberOne and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.