(Topic ID: 30587)

Klondike Yukon Jackpot Gold Rush Tilt instead of Game Over & blows coil fuse.

By the4horse

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 326 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pafasa
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

005.JPG
KlondikeBonusLights.jpg
004.JPG
002.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_4214.JPG
IMG_4213.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG
011.JPG
008.JPG
rorelay.JPG
RO.JPG
Reels.JPG
smileys-drinking-beer.gif
replayReset.JPG
There are 326 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 11 years ago

Hi all,

I'm having a couple of problems with my Williams Klondike. When the game finishes it comes up with 'Tilt' instead of 'Game Over'...it occasionally works correctly but most of the time it says 'Tilt'.

Also, when I line up a reel bonus such as extra ball or replay and it lands in the kick-out holes, instead of getting the bonus, the 15 amp coil fuse blows. Everything else works fine but I wondered if anyone else had these issues and knew a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

#2 11 years ago

First, as far as Williams single player "Add a Ball" games go, it is normal on the early '70's series games for the the Tilt light to illuminate briefly when the last ball drains just prior to the Game Over light turning on. Without a schematic, I'm not sure but I'd guess a momentary contact switch on the score motor (on a cam with only one tip) is either dirty or out of adjustment/barely making contact. I have a Spanish Eyes schematic but my game room is in the process of being rearranged and games are taken apart so I can't get to the schematic to offer further help at this time.

As for your other problem, we have to isolate is the problem with the 5000 scoring which is tied to three wagons and three lanterns or since Klondike is an add-a ball style game, is the special also set to award an extra ball? If so, whenever a ball is added, the knocker is supposed to energize and make the noise. We have all seen many knocker solenoids burnt to a crisp, usually related to the replay unit being messed with or a stuck coin switch etc. Look at your knocker solenoid on the side of the main cabinet. If burnt, disconnect it and all should be fine. Replace the coil when you can.

If that's not the case, double check the "play adjustment" Jones plug. Make sure it is correctly plugged in. Try changing the setting if it was correctly installed and see if the game behaves differently.

Is it only the three kickout holes that cause the blown fuse and not the "Scores reel value" rollovers? if so, the proble lies in the "Eject relay" circuit but I can't understand why say having three mining pans would be different versus other combinations. I'm guessing that a fuse also blows when a Scores Reel Value rollover is hit with either 5000 point combination.

Look at the "5000" Relay; are any contact blades bent and hitting a blade they shouldn't? or look for solder splashes or wires off from the solder tabs making contact where they shouldn't.
Also look for the same thing on the "Rollover" relay since some circuitry is shared between these two relays.

Bruce

#3 11 years ago

Thanks Bruce for your assistance...the tilt indicator stays on and isn't replaced by the game over indicator.
Also, the fuse trips from the kickout holes and the score reel rollovers... sorry I should've mentioned that.
I'll let you know how I get on...I'm learning as I go so I might take a while to work out where everything is that you've told me.
Regards,
Eddie

#4 11 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention that the knocker mechanism was removed by a previous owner.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

the fuse trips from the kickout holes and the score reel rollovers

Must be a short somewhere. Look close at all wires maybe touching each other at contacts (crosstalk) give a little tug on them too. Check switch/wire connections with a meter for continuity.(saves fuses)

Quoted from the4horse:

...it occasionally works correctly but most of the time it says 'Tilt'.

Check tilt relay and tilt assembly.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

knocker mechanism was removed by a previous owner.

Cap the wire ends or tape them off preventing a short till you purchase an assembly.

#7 11 years ago

Hi,
Still looking for the faults, now it's doing something weird where it starts up with 9 balls instead of 5 and the score motor won't stop until I jiggle the little plastic / wire thing on the base of the coin shute. I have to do this every time as the start button won't start the game.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

I have to do this every time as the start button won't start the game.

I take it that it is not set up for free play?

From here >>
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Klondike&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1388

Is this>>Reportedly, an unknown quantity of this game left the factory with the wiring incorrect on the right playfield score reel as compared to the schematic. Two wires were crossed which caused incorrect scoring on some score reel combinations.

Could be the short problem?

#9 11 years ago

the score motor won't stop until I jiggle the little plastic / wire thing on the base of the coin shute.

Check the contacts they seem stuck.

Does it look similiar to this>>

// Error: Image 54868 not found //

#10 11 years ago

Hi,
This is what it looks like...not sure why the wires just sitting there!

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Hi,
This is what it looks like...not sure why the wires just sitting there!

Somebody bent the crap outta that.
Thats a common problem people do for free plays.

From your photo the trip wire is way off it must go in the slot where the coin will travel.
Also the contacts are stuck together and i cant really see but maybe the wires that connect to the contacts are touching?

1st Fix it by separating your contacts/electrical wire,(that will stop the score motor from spinning) then fix that trip wire like the post i put up previous in the slot if you want it to work with coins otherwise i would not worry about it( i would just leave it alone)

Set it up for free play by going to the back box and rigging it at the credit wheel

Read this to see how to do it>>> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

#12 11 years ago

Thanks for all your help Pin-it - much appreciated!

#13 11 years ago

The wires were close but not touching, I separated the contacts but I can't get it to stop frying the 15amp coil fuse when I turn it on. I've checked all the coils, the only one that's suspect is the bar relay M30 1400 that reads 24 compared to the M30 1400 special relay next to it that reads 48. If I activate the lock relay when the coil fuse blows everything lights up perfectly...not sure what to try next.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

If I activate the lock relay when the coil fuse blows everything lights up perfectly...not sure what to try next.

Unplug the playfield jones plug (keep it away from other circuits) and then start the game and lets see what happens.
Isolating circuits this way going by previous first post.

Quoted from the4horse:

Also, when I line up a reel bonus such as extra ball or replay and it lands in the kick-out holes, instead of getting the bonus, the 15 amp coil fuse blows. Everything else works fine but I wondered if anyone else had these issues and knew a solution?

#15 11 years ago

I unplugged the smaller jones plug and it started up with 5 balls and backglass lit and score reset.
Same when I removed both plugs under playfield. With the small plug in and the larger one removed everything's fine also.
Just then when I plugged them both in and started a game everything seemed fine - 5 balls everything was working on playfield then when I went to use the flippers... they'd stopped working.The left flipper now starts / restarts the game, the right flipper changes it from 5 balls to 9 balls to play and the start button does nothing. At least the fuse didn't blow!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

The left flipper now starts / restarts the game, the right flipper changes it from 5 balls to 9 balls to play and the start button does nothing. At least the fuse didn't blow!

Check your plugs.
Make sure the jones plugs are not in the wrong position or backwards.
If the jones plugs are dirty/corroded i would sandpaper them or a small wire brush by hand will do too.
400 grit should be fine enough.

#17 11 years ago

Maybe give a PM to EM-PINMAN as he has a klondike and might have a schematic if its still acting up after trying the previous post.

#18 11 years ago

if we can get a pdf of the schematic we can for sure help trouble shoot better!

It does sound like maybe the jones plugs are off by one slot. Ive done that before and experienced odd behaviours like that also

-- Jeff

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Maybe give a PM to EM-PINMAN as he has a klondike and might have a schematic if its still acting up after trying the previous post.

Thanks for thinking of me Pin-it, but I do not have a schematic yet as my Klondike is a sitting project I will get to in Spring, but I will get one and manual down the road from PBR when I get ready to work on it as I always do.

My scanner is broken right now too but I have a new one I need to hook up, just have not got around to it. Technical difficulties, Please stand by........................

Ken

1 week later
#20 11 years ago

I have a Klondike schematic and a working scanner. I'll create a PDF tomorrow if I can.

#21 11 years ago

Pafasa awesome. Especially with the number of Klondike posts lately

#22 11 years ago

Here is a jpeg of the schematic. Should be good enough to work from.

KlondikeSchematic.jpgKlondikeSchematic.jpg

#23 11 years ago

Yikes! that didn't work at all. Does pinside resize images? How can I upload a larger file that will be readable?

#24 11 years ago

Uploaded a high Rez s an of the Klondike schematic to ipdb today. Not sure how long it takes to show up.

#25 11 years ago

Thanks for all your help, I think it'd the ball count stepper which I will dismantle, the roll over buttons have stopped advancing the poker reel and the targets in front of it too, it still advances from the lower targets and the side alleys. The other problem is the lights for the reel value 500 3000 and 4000 have stopped working and the bulbs aren't the issue. I disconnected the backbox jones plugs and the game will play fine without blowing that coil fuse so at least that's something!
I've never worked on a pinball before but am learning heaps thanks to the assistance I've received here. My goal is to be playing it by Christmas!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

I disconnected the backbox jones plugs and the game will play fine without blowing that coil fuse so at least that's something!

Definitely a short there time to bust out the test meter check for a shorted coil ,wire,or solder joint let loose.

Quoted from the4horse:

I've never worked on a pinball before but am learning

Not sure if you have seen this >> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps << on rebuilding steppers

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Hi all,
I'm having a couple of problems with my Williams Klondike. When the game finishes it comes up with 'Tilt' instead of 'Game Over'...it occasionally works correctly but most of the time it says 'Tilt'.
Thanks in advance,
Eddie

Read this >> http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0351.html <<

1 week later
#29 11 years ago

I've isolated the coil fuse blowing to something in the backbox...not sure if I want to take the ball index apart as that spring looks wound pretty tight! I went through my manual and adjusted the switches and guess what? Now it's worse than before. I suspect the game over relay is the culprit because the game works, flippers and all but the ball doesn't get kicked out to start. I can manually flick the ball out, play the ball and then the ball remains in the drain...the game thinks it's game over. Then again, the outhole relay and the ball index relay looked liked they needed adjusting so they could be it??
My question is...with the M & B Switches, is it always the right hand side switch that should be touching the middle switch and the left side switch only touches the middle when activated, or can it be the other way 'round sometimes?
Does anybody know what I should address with the bonus lights...the three lower value don't light and the bulbs are okay...what controls these?

#30 11 years ago

Does the Game over light turn of when you start the game?

Score motor Index E should be closed
Game over relay white blu / green white should be closed for the outhole relay to fire
outhole switch should be closed

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

#31 11 years ago

Wait! Before you go and tear down the Ball Count unit...Could it be as simple as a shorted ball release coil under the apron that is blowing the fuse? That coil is an "A 22-550" and is the same as the match unit step-up coil and the player unit step-up coil and the coin unit step up coil.

How have you isolated it to the backbox? Maybe I missed something, but earlier in this thread you mentioned that the game started up with 5 balls and scores reset when you unplugged the two jones plugs from the base of the cabinet. Then it acted really screwy when you plugged them back in. You can't plug those in backwards, but they can get shifted off by a row or more of pins. Assuming the game would start without errors with the playfield plugs removed, then the problem is on the playfield and not in the backbox. I would meter each coil on the playfield before I started to dig into stepper units.

Forgive me if you have already done this...just what I see based on the posts so far. Let us know what you find!

#32 11 years ago

You're right Pafasa, I did have some screwy things happening with the flippers and I had plugged in the jones plug incorrectly like you said...but that's all good now.
I have metered every coil and they're all within range including the release coil. As I mentioned, when I disconnected the Jones Plugs from the backbox everything worked as it should...as soon as I plugged them in...bang...the coil fuse popped AGAIN!

The game over light is on when I start the game...I think that's my main issue and I wonder if you know which switch I need to adjust. Do all M & B switches have the right side blades touching or do they vary...mine weren't touching and I adjusted them to touch. Any ideas about the bonus lights not working?

Thanks way2wyrd for the schematic but I really don't know how to read them...I know I need to figure them out. I had a look at the schematic that came with my Klondike but ended up using the drawings of the switches in the manual.

#33 11 years ago

OK, I just wanted to clear that up. I thought you pulled the playfield plugs from the base of the cabinet. Sorry I missed that about the backbox. I am going to take a look at my Klondike schematics. I'll post again in a few.

#34 11 years ago

Can you post pics or vids? Have you looked at the vids I have posted for Skybug in her thread?
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-klondike-startup-problem

#35 11 years ago

Do you have a klondike manual? It shows a diagram of the ball count unit. What switches did you adjust?

#36 11 years ago

My ball count unit is working properly. Would you like to see mine to compare? Same for Game Over Relay?

#37 11 years ago

I've got the manual and schematics, they came with the game. I haven't touched the ball count unit, as I stated, it looks a bit daunting and I wondered about that large spring becoming uncoiled!
I was trying to get everything working on the playfield section before tackling the backbox.
It would really help to see how a correct ball count unit and game over relay look...thanks. I've been following the discussion on the other Klondike thread and it's been really helpful...I'll take some pics and post them soon.

#38 11 years ago

You mentioned that you adjusted switches and now it's worse. What switches did you adjust?

#39 11 years ago

I have a crappy copy of the manual that I bought on Amazon thinking it was an original. Much of the text is unreadable. Would you consider making a high quality scan of your manual? It shows the details about all the relays and the steppers.

#45 11 years ago

I mucked around with the game relay, the one next to it that's lost its sticker, the game over, outhole and reset relay's. I'll post some pics when my batteries charge and maybe you can spot the mistakes for me!

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Here's my Klondike manual

You should upload to IMBD, much better spot for manuals

#48 11 years ago

The outhole relay works, I manually activated it and the ball kicked out to start game.
I'm thinking it's probably the game over relay?? Does this make sense?
Which relay/s have to activate before outhole relay functions?
I've posted some pics of my relays and the units from the backboard in case anyone spots an obvious problem.

#49 11 years ago

Here's a picture of the relays and backbox;

Game_Over_relay.JPGGame_Over_relay.JPG 024.JPG024.JPG 027.JPG027.JPG

#50 11 years ago

and this one;

// Error: Image 59034 not found // // Error: Image 59035 not found // // Error: Image 59036 not found //

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 326 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klondike-yukon-jackpot-gold-rush-tilt-instead-of-game-over-blows-coil-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.