• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pin-it
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi,
On startup, Klondike resets scores and ball count but doesn't release the ball nor do the flippers work. The only things that work are the three outholes. Underneath the playfield all the bumpers can be activated by their relays and all the other features appear fine except the special light doesn't illuminate. I'm not sure if that's related. In the past I have had problems with the first set of switches closest to the score motor but they all seem to be adjusted correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

Hey the4horse,
Looking at the schematic Flipper power starts from the transformer (B-Y-W wire) ,15 amp fuse to the reset relay (Black wire),Reset relay to the Game over relay (Blu-Y-W wire),Game over relay to flippers (Red wire). (see it in the schematic below)

Most likely the Reset relay to the G.o. relay out to the flippers (contacts,broken solder joint...)

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1388/Williams_1971_Klondike_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf <<Follow wires along the top of schematic and see where the culprit starts at.

#3 10 years ago

Hi Pin-it,
Thanks for that, I'll check and let you know how I get on.

#4 10 years ago

No luck, all those wires are okay between reset and g.o. relays. I have had problems with the index switch stack in the past. That's where I thought the problem was but it all seems adjusted okay. Will keep looking.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

all those wires are okay between reset and g.o. relays.

Make sure those relays contacts are clean and the make/break are ok? Clean the outhole Switch and check for closing.
Manually press the outhole relay and see if the ball kick out activates.

Quoted from the4horse:

I have had problems with the index switch stack in the past.

Thats also possible looking at the stacks.>> Clean contacts and function M&B

#6 10 years ago

I vote g.o. relay. Make sure the switches are clean and making.

#7 10 years ago

Can't find what's wrong, cleaned and adjusted g.o. relay and all wiring and solders are good.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Can't find what's wrong, cleaned and adjusted g.o. relay and all wiring and solders are good.

If voltage is present for the pop bumpers to work then check for voltage at the flipper coils red wire termination point as there should be voltage there as well.
The pop bumpers and the flippers are on the same 15amp circuit line.
What do you get for a voltage reading?

#9 10 years ago

I'm getting voltage of 2.1 to the left flipper & 1.9 to the right...that's on the 200 ohm setting.

Quoted from Pin-it:

Manually press the outhole relay and see if the ball kick out activates.

The outhole doesn't activate the ball kickout, it moves the post between the flippers though. The outhole relay doesn't activate on startup. The score motor doesn't make it's full rotation.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Odessa:

that's on the 200 ohm setting.

Set your meter to voltage ^^ not ohms/resistance and you should get around 28 volts here in the States,not sure for Australia.

Quoted from Odessa:The outhole doesn't activate the ball kickout, it moves the post between the flippers though. The outhole relay doesn't activate on startup

The outhole relay is energized from the outhole switch thru the end of stroke switch on the ball count unit. < check function and contacts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klondike-startup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.