(Topic ID: 249242)

Klondike never advances past the 500 point reel value?

By mrbanjo

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by marienk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams 1970 catalog score reel (resized).jpg
Klondike 3000 pt relay (resized).jpg
klond (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

seems to always stay at 500

klond (resized).jpgklond (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

To get to one of the other values from 500 the three playfield reels need to line up in specific ways as described by this part of the schematic:
Klondike 3000 pt relay (resized).jpgKlondike 3000 pt relay (resized).jpg
For example the paths to the 3000 point relay are shown in red. To get the 3000 point relay to fire the left reel must be in positions 4, 6, 8 or 10 (unless the Bar relay is on), the center reel must be in positions 3 or 5 and the right reel must be in positions 3 or 5. If you're always at 500 I'd examine the playfield reels. There will be wipers and contact boards that may need a good cleaning.

/Mark

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

To get to one of the other values from 500 the three playfield reels need to line up in specific ways as described by this part of the schematic:
[quoted image]
For example the paths to the 3000 point relay are shown in red. To get the 3000 point relay to fire the left reel must be in positions 4, 6, 8 or 10 (unless the Bar relay is on), the center reel must be in positions 3 or 5 and the right reel must be in positions 3 or 5. If you're always at 500 I'd examine the playfield reels. There will be wipers and contact boards that may need a good cleaning.
/Mark

Great explanation, Mark. what's the best cleaner in this case?

#4 4 years ago

The best cleaner in this case would probably be a metal polish for the circuit board and contact ring, but that would probably require disassembly of the reel. I think this is the reel used in Klondike although the circuit board will have a different pattern:
Williams 1970 catalog score reel (resized).jpgWilliams 1970 catalog score reel (resized).jpg
Another possibility is that there's a bad joint or connection or contact ring on one of the score reels so that there's never a good path through it. One way to find something like that is to shut off the power and clip one multimeter probe onto the 3000 point relay coil solder lug with the green-white wire and the other probe to the yellow-blue wire between the left and center reels. Set the meter on the lowest resistance setting and manually advance the right reel. You should find several positions where the resistance through the reel drops to an ohm or less. Repeat that test for the other wires between the two reels (yellow-red, yellow-orange, yellow-green). And then test the other two reels the same way. Each time you should find a few paths through the reel you're testing.

5 months later
#5 4 years ago

Hello, Mark and mrbanjo,

i have the same problem on my Williams jackpot of 71.

is mijn pinball met de zelfde techbiek uitgevoerd??

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klondike-never-advances-past-the-500-point-reel-value?hl=kuchiyaji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.