You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
899FF4EF-F013-4298-8ADC-8CAAD5E5F1AB (resized).jpeg
IMG_1921 (resized).jpg
IMG_1919 (resized).jpg
Klondike Game Over Relay Switches 2A-C.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flb_gulfstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I stumbled upon a Williams Klondike this week and added it to my "collection". I was told the machine was privately owned since new and I purchased it from the second owner. Words of Wisdom - just because a machine has never seen commercial use does not mean it will be in good condition mechanically/electrically. I've found some questionable "fixes" on this machine but I won't go into that. Also it appears it spent a lot of time in damp basements and had been moved several times (by inexperienced movers).

I'm trying to adjust the Game Over Relay. What I am seeing with the actual switches compared to the diagram in the instruction manual is not what I expected.

I have attached the diagram from the Instruction Manual. It shows the upper switches 2A, 2B and 2C as M&B.

Klondike Game Over Relay Switches 2A-C.pdfKlondike Game Over Relay Switches 2A-C.pdf

In looking at the actual switches, 2A and 2C look like what I expected to see for a M&B switch but 2B just looks like a NO or NC switch.

IMG_1919 (resized).jpgIMG_1919 (resized).jpg

Then if you really look close at that picture, you can see switch 1D on the bottom row. That switch looks like a M&B switch but on the diagram, it is marked as an NO switch. Here is a view of the relay switches from the bottom so these are the 1A-1D switches (from left to right I believe).

IMG_1921 (resized).jpgIMG_1921 (resized).jpg

I'm confused on how to set these switches because they don't appear to agree with the instruction manual. The game was working until I started messing with these switches (and the game relay (interlock). I was trying to figure out why the "Game Over" light and the "Tilt" lights would not light up.

Any help will be appreciated and as always, thanks in advance.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

if a blade broke off, the wire lug end is still there so you don't need to unscrew the stack to see it ... and you can usually see the blade edge in the stack unless the stack is covered in grime.
the manuals are frequently not right. Looks like they swapped 1D and 2B from what the manual says, maybe because packing 3 make-break switches next to each other is annoying for the guys with the soldering irons putting the game together.
go with what markg said ... as long as you have the switches with the right wire colors someplace in the stacks, it really doesn't matter how the switches are arranged.
your tilt / game over lights is switch 2A in your picture, so make sure when the tilt armature is pushed in the middle blade with the blue wire is connecting to the blade above it with the W-O wire.
a wiper finger on the ball count unit is also a single point of failure that will make those two lights not work.
if you have 6VAC between the W-O wire on the game over lamp socket and the yellow wire on the transformer / GI lights, then it's the ball count unit wiper or plug connections.

On MarkG's suggestion, I checked the wire colors. After looking at them (some colors are hard to decipher on a 50-year old machine), I came to the conclusion that 1D and 2B are swapped. Then after looking at the quote above from baldtwit, I feel even more confident in my conclusion.

This double row switch is in a bad place to work on (right corner near the backbox). Maybe this was a way to discourage anyone from messing with the switch settings (I sure wish I hadn't touched them).

I also noticed a some lugs might be touching as TwinDavid noted, so I have straightened those.

When setting/adjusting the switch positions on this relay, should they be set as if the coil is energized (latched)? I think that is how they are set on my Gulfstream ... At this point I am so confused (and desparate).

Thank you to everyone who has spent time looking at this and sharing your thoughts and opinions.

#9 2 years ago

After readjusting the switches, I still had a playfield where the only items working were the down post rollover relay, outhole relay and the eject relay. The ball would come out of the outhole but the ball index wheel would not change when the ball was ejected. Everything else on the playfield was NOT working - flippers, advance rollovers, targets, etc.

I went back and cleaned all of the switches with a dollar bill. This time when I started it, everything on the playfield would work but before the ball would come out of the outhole, the score motor would keep running for a bit and then the ball would come out. After shooting a ball and then letting it go past the flippers into eject hole, the ball index would move correctly but the score motor would just keep running and not eject the ball.

I guess I have another switch setting to look at. I'm close. When I hit the tilt tab on the game over relay, the Tilt light came on!

Again, thanks to all.

#10 2 years ago

Checked more switch settings but I'm still having issues.

If I start a game and the ball does eject (which stops the score motor from running), sometimes the playfield items are dead as mentioned above. The easiest way to tell if the playfield items are dead is hitting the flipper buttons. No flippers, no playfield items. If the ball drains, the score motor will just run but the ball will not eject. If I reach in and push the ball on through, the score motor will stop but the playfield items are still dead. The eject coil is not getting activated.

If I cause the machine to tilt (using the pendulum) and let the ball go through the playfield and drain, the machine will sometimes correctly reset itself - ball kicks out on its own, ball index advances, all the playfield items work (flippers work). At some point in the game, the thing will act up again and not eject the ball correctly and the playfield is dead. I could not complete a game without this problem happening sometime during the game.

Out of frustration, whenever the ball drained, I started firing the flippers as fast as I could. The ball would actually eject, the score motor would stop, the ball index would advance correctly and all of the playfield items remained alive. I did the flipper thing for every ball and I was able to get through five balls without the playfield going dead. I did this for several games and most of the time it would work (occasionally not). I'm guessing this is a coincidence but it kept everything alive.

So I still have issues. The original problems seem to be solved - the Game Over lights work (if I can get through an entire game) and the Tilt light works if I reach in and hit the plumb bob.

Looking back, I'd rather have the machine working like it was before and not have the Game Over and Tilt lights work but my intent was to have everything working the way it was supposed to. Now I have created a bigger puzzle/problem than when I began.

I will be away for a few days but I will check in occasionally on this. I'm still waiting on a schematic but I'm not very good at reading those anyway. My problems started when I messed with relay switch settings and tried to clean them ... I guess I have to keep going back to those.

Thanks.

#13 2 years ago

I'm back.

I followed Gsones suggestion and pulled the cabinet relay board. I was a little apprehensive fearing I would cause more problems when disconnecting/reconnecting the Jones plugs but that was not the case. Pulling the board up to where I could access the Game Over Relay made all the difference in the world. I could actually see everything and adjust everything with ease.

With the board pulled, I cleaned all the switch contacts again. I also took a Scotchbrite pad to the Jones plug pins so those look great. This machine really has a lot of white dust/corrosion on the metal parts so I think it has lived a lot of its life in humid conditions. My Gulfstream doesn't have this issue so that is why this really stands out to me.

Here's the result ... everything works as it is supposed to. Besides the Game Over relay switch adjustments, I did have to adjust a switch on the Reset relay. Thanks again, HowardR.

Baldtwit, I read your post over several times so thank you.

If I didn't call you out specifically here, I do want to thank everyone who posted comments/opinions/suggestions here. All were helpful in coming to the final solution.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flb_gulfstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klondike-game-over-relay-switches?tu=flb_gulfstream and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.