20220829_153129 (resized).jpg
20220829_153116 (resized).jpg
20220829_152948 (resized).jpg
20220829_152937 (resized).jpg
20220829_152759 (resized).jpg
20220829_152725 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi,
Im looking to purchase this project Klondike EM pin, I know it will need lots of work, which I am not shy about, and wan tto take my time with this pin and restore and learn along the way. (I'm told seller has not started it) below if full description & pics.

Want to know if anyone can see any major issue or more importantly any key missing parts etc, especially internal electronics mechanical parts?

I will try to get more pics of internals as well.

Thanks in advance all,

here is sellers ad & pics:

I have a 1971 Williams Klondike EM project machine for sale. This one was apparently in a high school for a long period of time and was meant to be used as a project at some point. It never was. It came into my possession since the person who liberated it knew I had pinball machines.

However, I dont do EMs. Therefore my evaluations and descriptions will be superficial at best. I have never tried to power it up. But I can take lots of pictures.

The playfield glass is missing as are three topside posts. Plastics appear intact with some cracks.

Backglass looks like it was sealed at some point with some small areas missing.

I see some wires unconnected in the backbox and under the playfied. Tilt bob is missing. Apron is loose as is the coil underneath it. Metal cover for back of head included (can only post 10 pics).

20220829_152715 (resized).jpg20220829_152715 (resized).jpg20220829_152721 (resized).jpg20220829_152721 (resized).jpg20220829_152725 (resized).jpg20220829_152725 (resized).jpg20220829_152759 (resized).jpg20220829_152759 (resized).jpg20220829_152937 (resized).jpg20220829_152937 (resized).jpg20220829_152948 (resized).jpg20220829_152948 (resized).jpg20220829_153116 (resized).jpg20220829_153116 (resized).jpg20220829_153129 (resized).jpg20220829_153129 (resized).jpg20220829_153205 (resized).jpg20220829_153205 (resized).jpg20220829_153210 (resized).jpg20220829_153210 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Other than the missing posts on the playfield it looks dirty but intact. Par for the course.

#3 1 year ago

Your back glass is actually in great shape compared to most.

You can flatten warped playfield plastics with a heat gun and two sheets of glass with a weight on it. Works well. If you have missing plastics you are in luck;
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/30C-397

Posts and everything else is readily available for purchase if needed.

As stated, typical condition of many old EM's.

1 week later
#4 1 year ago

Looks like I need Bell Solenoid and some missing linkage parts for this solenoid...

#5 1 year ago

I also need white roll over buttons, which I am seeing is hard to find as they were original discontinued.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Looks like I need Bell Solenoid and some missing linkage parts for this solenoid...

CORRECTION: I see the unit now.

According to the parts manual, it looks like maybe it’s a Step Unit C-6510 and so the parts missing would be plunger 2A-3049, coil A-22-530, and coil stop A-6429.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

I also need white roll over buttons, which I am seeing is hard to find as they were original discontinued.

I see them available on Flippers.com if you don’t mind paying-up. His site will also have other rare parts for this machine if you encounter any.

My opinion is this is a desirable and fun machine and worth the effort to repair. The existing backglass and slot reel cover are saving you a lot of money. But you may not find value in fully restoring it beyond player-condition, and in my opinion you can probably put in non-white rollovers for less money, which you may need to spend on things for the center kickout, power switch, standup target, etc.

#8 1 year ago

What’s wrong with the rollovers? Are they broken? If you had to change them I wouldn’t worry about using different color, doesn’t effect gameplay.

Id love to get my hands on one. And yours has a great back glass, they typically didn’t age well.

#9 1 year ago

Missing a coil on a relay ( 3rd one down in the back) on the cabinet logic board.

#10 1 year ago

RE: rollover buttons on flipers.com: Oh, that's a good find, works for me cause I am also in Canada, so Ill order some from them for sure...I may in fact need the plastic slot reel cover - if I can find one for a good price, mine has some chips and a corner missing...I thought I found a cover online last week now I can't find it.

Garret, I prefer the contrast the white rollover buttons give

Good catch TwinDavid, thanks.

Yes I think will only be restored to somewhat playable condition, but I'll do my best to get it best I can.

thanks all...this helps.

#11 1 year ago

Also, FYI, The scuff marks around the ball kick outs are actually duct tape residue it seems (not worn out paint) - I was gonna post/ask what the possible best recommendations for removing that without effecting playfield artwork/paint. i.e Naphtha on microfiber cloth?

20220902_133358 (resized).jpg20220902_133358 (resized).jpg20220902_133405 (resized).jpg20220902_133405 (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from AndrewP:

CORRECTION: I see the unit now.
According to the parts manual, it looks like maybe it’s a Step Unit C-6510 and so the parts missing would be plunger 2A-3049, coil A-22-530, and coil stop A-6429.

Thanks for this info AndrewP, but which Parts manual are you referring to pls? I only have the instruction manual (which doesn't show the details you specify), and I haven't seen a parts manual for this game...or is there a generic Williams pinball parts manual?

Thanks in advance.

#13 1 year ago

try olive oil. it is great for removing adhesives

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from TwinDavid:

try olive oil. it is great for removing adhesives

OK, but you don't think it will seep into the playfield wood and create a stain effect? Have you ever tried on something like this (an EM playfield?)

I know I can try on a inconspicuous spot first.

TY

#15 1 year ago

Lightly heat the playfield and remove it with …… duct tape? Could lift up the paint as well, so you may want to be careful.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

OK, but you don't think it will seep into the playfield wood and create a stain effect? Have you ever tried on something like this (an EM playfield?)
I know I can try on a inconspicuous spot first.
TY

I have used with with good results, but only with a cotton ball. I had a playfield with bogus mylar by the kickers. It worked well for me.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

which Parts manual are you referring to pls?

This link should take you to the relevant page.

https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/porq/#p=12

#18 1 year ago

Here's some photos of my playfield for reference.

I am not sure what that terminal strip is for that is mounted on the left side of your cabinet near the score motor. That has been added by someone.

Feel free to contact me for any detailed photos if you need them.

IMG_3225 (resized).jpgIMG_3225 (resized).jpgIMG_3226 (resized).jpgIMG_3226 (resized).jpgIMG_3227 (resized).jpgIMG_3227 (resized).jpgIMG_3235 (resized).jpgIMG_3235 (resized).jpgIMG_3231 (resized).jpgIMG_3231 (resized).jpg
#19 1 year ago

Good guy pinheads. Just got a Klondike and it’s in pretty bad shape. Would like to restore it and would some advise. First up, this box is missing from my machine. What is it (looks like a door box chime), what does it do and are there part available for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated

545A0F33-706E-46A2-84B4-C53B5A39853A (resized).jpeg545A0F33-706E-46A2-84B4-C53B5A39853A (resized).jpeg
#20 1 year ago

Its a single chime...chime box.You would have to either fabricate one, or find a donor.

3 months later
#21 1 year ago

I’m very late to this topic. The unit with the bell is the match unit, it doesn’t have a reset solenoid. Looks like someone taped over the kick out holes because the bottom plastics are broken. What did someone use for rubbers on that thing? Hope someone didn’t seal the back glass with that much dirt on it. The big concern I have are the relays in the base box. One seems to be missing and there may be some coil issues. Some of those relays should have Red coils indicating 120VAC which Williams used for coin relays and some other relays.

Interesting project, playboard and glass are in pretty good shape there are mylars around the pop bumpers that need to go. I’d remove all of the machinery from the top of the play board clean, sand (very carefully) touch up and give it 5 coats of water based Varathane. There is always Pinball Resource for parts.

1 week later
#22 1 year ago

Hey, thank you very much for the insight and recommendations on PF restoration, I think I will do that. Is that what that was mylars around the pop bumpers? in a wood grain? perhaps because underneath the PF is too worn down?
The residue near the kick out holes are from the tape - removing that concerns me the most, without affecting the PF paint.

I have various replacement parts for it already, new kick out plate bases, new switches, lane dividers, trough walls, some replacement posts that are missing and all new rubbers. bulbs and fuses...

Main thing will be missing or coils not working, relays etc that are missing/not working (and any other mechanical parts)...now the unit with the bell; you said is the match unit, but the bell is used for regular pin sounds during play right? (or is it only the chime box) not just when a match is made?

I may have to clean up various (if not ALL) contacts...(even bulb base contacts).

Thanks again,

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from flb_gulfstream:

I am not sure what that terminal strip is for that is mounted on the left side of your cabinet near the score motor. That has been added by someone. ...

Often present on bottom boards of this era. I think it is to connect the optional "alternator unit" to allow 2 coin for 1 play operation.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Hey, thank you very much for the insight and recommendations on PF restoration, I think I will do that. Is that what that was mylars around the pop bumpers? in a wood grain? perhaps because underneath the PF is too worn down?
...now the unit with the bell; you said is the match unit, but the bell is used for regular pin sounds during play right? (or is it only the chime box) not just when a match is made?

Thanks again,

WICO is the outfit that sold the woodgrain bumper mylars. They sure did sell a lot of them. I have never tried to remove one so can't advise on that.

The match unit steps up on 1 point scores, so that is the 1 point bell. The chime box does 10 pointers. Maybe hundreds too. When a match is made the cabinet knocker announces the event with a bang!

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

WICO is the outfit that sold the woodgrain bumper mylars. They sure did sell a lot of them. I have never tried to remove one so can't advise on that.
The match unit steps up on 1 point scores, so that is the 1 point bell. The chime box does 10 pointers. Maybe hundreds too. When a match is made the cabinet knocker announces the event with a bang!

Yes of course of the cabinet knocker, how could I have forgotten, that's my favorite pinball sound. Yes the way that previous reply was worded (using "match") made me ask that. So definitely need a solenoid and few missing parts in that bell unit for me.

Thanks for the info on the mylars, interesting. I wonder if they were put on right way?

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Thanks for the info on the mylars, interesting. I wonder if they were put on right way?

Well I guess if someone was careful about it he could have matched the grain a little better but for most the right way is sticky side down.

#27 1 year ago

You could borrow the missing pieces of match unit from the credit unit, unless you plan to route the game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klondike-em-missing-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.