(Topic ID: 112759)

Klondike does not start and counts to 9 balls.

By Milton187

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

help.jpg
3 Wms Klondike sch..JPG
2 Wms. Sch. Klondike coin re..JPG
1 Wms Klondike coin re..JPG
#1 9 years ago

I'm not too familiar with E.M. machines.
Bought a "Klondike" because it was the machine that "hooked"me when I was a kid.

In the middle of restoring an "Embryon". Wanted to take a break and play a game.
The machine went into a continuous reset. And it counts all the way to nine balls.

IF someone would like to give me a nudge as to what bit of kit has failed or is out of adjustment
please chime in!

Thanks,

Milty

#2 9 years ago

Anyone? I will post some pics on Monday. Perhaps that will help.

Milton

#3 9 years ago

As a guess, it sounds like the ball count stepper is counting up, as it should on reset, but not counting back down - as it should.

#4 9 years ago

Ahoy WOLF,

Any guesses as what to do? A couple of contacts look burnt on the mech I assume is the ball counter.
I will clean and see if that helps. It has a bunch of plastic cogs with followers?

Thanks WOLF,,

Milton

#5 9 years ago

The coin relay is responsible for the ball count step up.
Look for either a stuck coin switch or the coin relay "D" not (gapped closed) opening is where I would look first.
1 Wms Klondike coin re..JPG1 Wms Klondike coin re..JPG

Seen on schematic snips the coin relay and contacts completing path to ball count s.u.2 Wms. Sch. Klondike coin re..JPG2 Wms. Sch. Klondike coin re..JPG

3 Wms Klondike sch..JPG3 Wms Klondike sch..JPG
1 week later
#6 9 years ago

There is a guy in Cando that is a EM wiz. I could maybe get your his info if you want.

1 week later
#7 9 years ago

Thanks guys!
Pin-it: I have a schematic coming for the machine. Tried to print from the ipdb.org and kept getting garbage.

I will give it a go and report back.

captainadam_21: I have been on a pinball tour! Hit arcades all the way from SD to CO!

Bill

#8 9 years ago

Pin-it: No luck. All is well on the coin door. It counts to 9 and then keeps spinning.
Aaargghhhhh.

Milton

#9 9 years ago

My Williams Triple Action was doing the same thing. It was a stuck scoring switch on the playfield. Dunno how it was related, but as soon as I fixed that switch my problem went away.

#10 9 years ago

Type in Klondike and have a look at the old threads from me, Pafasa and Skybug...they're the threads with 100's of posts from a year or so ago. There was heaps covered about the stepper units for Klondike.
The 2 things that I had issue with regarding ball count apart from the stepper was the game over / tilt relay right at the back of the cabinet(the double decker switches). Those little suckers get out of adjustment and can cause ball count problems. Also on the last set of impulse switches on the score motor(towards the rear and the lowest switches), they also give you the ball count and you'll see those 5 notches on the cog that represent each ball so you could check that to see if that's working right when you press start.
I think someone might have included a schematic with one of the posts also.
Good luck getting her going!

#11 9 years ago

the4horse: Yes the stepper motor is turning the wheels. Tuesday I will check on the other suggestions. Thanks folks.

Milton

3 weeks later
#12 9 years ago

Ok, I am back to the Kondike. Still have the posted problem. I am not a stupid person but boy I sure like solid state machines! I will post some pics tomorrow as well as search the threads suggested by the4horse.

Thanks,

Milton

#13 9 years ago

Dirty wiper unit, it can't find the end switch on the fifth or third ball location.
Clean the wiper unit and fingers, lube it with a extremely thin layer of light oil.
Check the tension of the wiper fingers on the unit, do they touch the disc?
Lots of times these (stepper) units are causing the problem.

#14 9 years ago

wizardblom: Thanks. I will try to get to it today. I want to get that stupid thing going.
I bet it's the fifth. I noticed lots of sparks from the switch. Can I file these contacts?
It looks to be plenty lubed!

Thanks for the reply! I will post the results.

Milton

#15 9 years ago

I never file on contacts on wiper units, cleaning is in most cases enough to get it running again.
In every manual from Williams there is a page that says: "overlubricating is much more worse then underlubricating".
So if it works with no lube on the wiper unit it must be okay also.
Check the tension of the switches on the wiper also, maybe one of them is not making enough contact.

#16 9 years ago

Milton, just catching up on this thread.

If you look at the bit of schematic that Pin-it posted and the fact that you are stepping up to position 9 on the ball count unit (remember there is also a zero position 10 in all). I’m suspecting the coin RE is not de – energising at the right time. The Coin Relay needs to de energise after the first cycle of the score motor which is 180 degrees. Check all the switches under the Coin RE coil, one of them may be keeping the Coin RE energised after the first cycle.

** Also check the SW on the score motor (3D) responsible for de energising the Coin RE coil (3 ball/game mode), in fact I would check this one first. If you are in 5 ball per game mode, than it is the SW on the index cam (below the SW In my bit of schematic)**

help.jpghelp.jpg

Post edited by Chrisbee: Little more info added (3 ball v 5 ball)

#17 9 years ago

Chrisbee: Thanks I will check this out. One thing after another this week.
Just getting my computer back online after a nasty virus.

#18 9 years ago

One thing you can be sure of, your EM will not be suffering a virus attack.

#19 9 years ago

Chrisbee,

From what I could tell the coil is not energizing at all. I will put a meter on it when I have time!
I have been very busy or would have been all over this. Purchased a LW3 and Elektra + a Silver Strike Bowling and trying to make room!

Bill

#20 9 years ago

Does the score reels reset, when you press start button?

#21 9 years ago

Yes.
The credit display is stuck on 4.

bill

#22 9 years ago

I'm not great at reading schematics but that game over relay at the back right of the cabinet can be a pain...did you check the double decker switches on that?

On the ball count stepper, can you manually advance it 9 places (ball 9) until the metal disc reaches the flattened section? Then can you push the other coil plunger and get it back to where the little lug on the metal cog makes contact with the switches?(0 ball, game over) I thought maybe it wasn't counting down all the way to 0 so then it starts counting back up too far. On my Skylab, if I press the button twice it counts up to 9 but I'm not sure that's relevant to your issue. Sometimes that metal cog can be spun right round the wrong way and be in the entirely wrong place. I just had to adjust the spring tension on my stepper as it wouldn't count up smoothly. I adjusted the main spring so it was turned 4 times and then had to check that each spring had enough recoil to move the metal rods. I hope some of this makes sense and helps.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Milton187:

The credit display is stuck on 4.

That too is a function of the Coin RE though the Ball count unit "when at zero position".
spend a bit of time making sure the Coin RE is all good, coil and contacts ETC.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klondike-does-not-start-and-counts-to-9-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.