• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RacerRik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello all have a small issue maybe someone can help with

Was woking on my STTNG and a freind of mine accidently snapped the wire form that the klingon ship sits on. It has snapped right when it bends into the loop to screw to the playfield

I have tried both super glue, as well as a metal apoxy to try and put the piece back on with no luck.

1. Does any have any other suggestions on how to re-attach this?
2. Have have tried looking online for a new one with no luck. Everyone out of stock, or no longer available.
3. Does anyone have a spare?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

I would just get a wire hanger and bend a new one. I did that for my TZ diverter when it broke and its stronger than the origional and no one would ever be able to tell.

#3 10 years ago

yeah, it's not like that piece is particularly spectacular to begin with. just a bent piece of wire. in fact this might be an opportunity to improve the original. a good opportunity to upgrade to a lit hallmark ornament version.

if you look at this image:

http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=661868&bbat=74056&inline

you can see they wrapped the pole after doing the wiring. if you were to go that route, just cutting and bending a coathanger would work fine.

#4 10 years ago

OK. I will try the coat hanger. Does anyone know the length of that wire including the loops?

#6 10 years ago

Coat hanger is not going to work very well. It is too soft. The weight of the ship is going to be constantly bending it over. If you need to make a new one, buy some music wire from a hobby shop in the same thickness as the original and bend it to the right shape. Music wire is tough stuff - at least as strong as the original, and maybe even stronger.

#7 10 years ago

I agree, a coat hanger will be awful. Go to the hardware store, a real one, and ask for piano wire, I believe that is what they call it anyways, show them the original broken wire. They should have many different diameters available, match it as closely as you can to the original.

Cut, bend with pliers to the shape of the original, it should look as good or better and be just as strong. You have to buy it by the foot so you should have extra

#8 10 years ago

I will stop at hardware store on way home. Hopefully one around me has some

#9 10 years ago

Music wire - piano wire - different names for the same thing. I have never found it at a hardware store. But good hobby shops sell it in 3 ft lengths. Cut it with a hack saw - not wire cutters, or you may damage the sharp edges of the wire cutters. Then use a file to smooth out the cut end.

When you are finished cutting and bending it, you can polish it to a very nice shine with Mothers metal polish.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 9.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klingon-sttng-wire-mount and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.