(Topic ID: 71576)

Klein Magnetic Nut drivers the way to go?

By VolunteerPin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Manic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

41Y06XT8Z5L.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider volunteerpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I need to buy a magnetic nut driver set as I'm tired of having trouble getting nut back into tight places. A quick search showed me that the Klein set is about the only set out there but I read of some fairly poor reviews as far as their longevity recently. Is Klein still about set to get for some pretty light use? (cost $70 on Amazon)

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

+1 on the klein's top of the line.. but if you dont want to spend 70.00
    I bought a cheap set of nut drivers from harbor freight and then added some thin strong magnets from K&J magnets.
    and put them in the sockets. its not the best but works fine as often as I need them.
    http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10.

Hmmm. I already have a set of drivers and that sounds like an interesting solution. Do you have a recommendation on which magnets to put in there? I'm thinking the thinnest ones they have. Also, did you put varying diameter magnets based on the size of the nut driver or 'one size fits all'?

Axial or diametrically magnetized?

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Didn't you spend $11k not to long ago on a MM? Spend the $70 bucks! Don't be fiddling around with stickable magnets.

Traded it for TAF, TFTC, DM and FT. Also recently got WH20. I don't do major repair work (mainly 'cuz I'm still learning) but can already see where having the magnetic set would be nice. I'm not averse to spending the $70 but if there is a less expensive alternative that works I'm all for it. Also, had I not seen some negative reviews about the magnets falling out, I probably would have never started this thread.

1 month later
    #45 10 years ago

I actually ended up buying some Kleins and wouldn't you know it, the first time I used them I had the nuts falling out. They certainly don't have great magnets...either that or the nuts were not metal.

I did have to be VERY careful not to touch anything for fear of the nut giving way. I actually lost one between the upper and lower playfields on White Water while trying to change out a bulb which I couldn't reach with my hand.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from NathanP:

The two smaller sizes of the Klein long shaft magnetic come as a set at Home Depot for $20.

That is exactly what I bought. I'm glad I didn't spend more than the $20. That said, they are better than my non-magnetic...just not by much.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Are you sure the nuts weren't stainless steel. My Kleins work fine and sometimes the nut doesn't want to come out. I have to use a screw to get them out.

The thought did cross my mind. I'm not really sure how I would tell.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider volunteerpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klein-magnetic-nut-drivers-the-way-to-go?tu=volunteerpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.