(Topic ID: 71576)

Klein Magnetic Nut drivers the way to go?

By VolunteerPin

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Manic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

41Y06XT8Z5L.jpg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I need to buy a magnetic nut driver set as I'm tired of having trouble getting nut back into tight places. A quick search showed me that the Klein set is about the only set out there but I read of some fairly poor reviews as far as their longevity recently. Is Klein still about set to get for some pretty light use? (cost $70 on Amazon)

#2 7 years ago

I love mine; make sure to get the long-shaft version.

Mine get a lot of use and they hold up well.

I only wish the magnetic grip was a bit stronger.

RussMyers

#3 7 years ago

I don't know about the Klein but most magnetic drivers (including mine) are thicker at the tip so it can still be tough using them in tight places. Sometimes you have to start out with a standard driver and then switch to the magnetic once the nut clears the gap.

Wish I knew which one would have the tip be the closest possible size to a non-magnetic version... and still work of course

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I need to buy a magnetic nut driver set as I'm tired of having trouble getting nut back into tight places. A quick search showed me that the Klein set is about the only set out there but I read of some fairly poor reviews as far as their longevity recently. Is Klein still about set to get for some pretty light use? (cost $70 on Amazon)

Klein tools are made for electrical contractors. Some of mine are close to 40 years old and still being used. They also have a lifetime guarantee.

You would never wear them out working on pinball machines.

#5 7 years ago

+1 on the klein's top of the line.. but if you dont want to spend 70.00

I bought a cheap set of nut drivers from harbor freight and then added some thin strong magnets from K&J magnets.
    and put them in the sockets. its not the best but works fine as often as I need them.
    http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

+1 on the klein's top of the line.. but if you dont want to spend 70.00
    I bought a cheap set of nut drivers from harbor freight and then added some thin strong magnets from K&J magnets.
    and put them in the sockets. its not the best but works fine as often as I need them.
    http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10.

Hmmm. I already have a set of drivers and that sounds like an interesting solution. Do you have a recommendation on which magnets to put in there? I'm thinking the thinnest ones they have. Also, did you put varying diameter magnets based on the size of the nut driver or 'one size fits all'?

Axial or diametrically magnetized?

#7 7 years ago

Klein's all the way. As Russ said, go with the long reach ones. Actually I have long and short reach as I've found they're both handy.

#8 7 years ago

I love my kleins, but I also keep a set of the harbor freight cheapies for the space that done have the clearance for the Klein wider head.

#9 7 years ago

PBL has them as a set as well

#10 7 years ago

What are the most common sizes needed? No need to get a full set right?

#11 7 years ago

1/4 and 5/16 will get you 95% of what you need.

#12 7 years ago

I use the 1/4" and 5/16" and 3/8" the most.

RM

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

1/4 and 5/16 will get you 95% of what you need.

Like this right?

amazon.com link »

#14 7 years ago

I would lIke to find some thing better than Klein's personally. I have had the magnet break in two 1/4" drivers over the last year or so. The magnet just seems proned to popping out or cracking.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I would lIke to find some thing better than Klein's personally. I have had the magnet break in two 1/4" drivers over the last year or so. The magnet just seems proned to popping out or cracking.

Shouldn't the magnet slug be replaceable?

RM

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

Shouldn't the magnet slug be replaceable?
    RM

Not sure, maybe I need to check. Would be considerably better then the little ball of wadded up tape I shove in my driver now every time I use it.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

I use the 1/4" and 5/16" and 3/8" the most.
    RM

And if you work on Bally/Williams, you need 11/32" as well.

#18 7 years ago

Not sure if you have seen this.

amazon.com link »

#19 7 years ago

Hmmm. I already have a set of drivers and that sounds like an interesting solution. Do you have a recommendation on which magnets to put in there? I'm thinking the thinnest ones they have. Also, did you put varying diameter magnets based on the size of the nut driver or 'one size fits all'?

Didn't you spend $11k not to long ago on a MM? Spend the $70 bucks! Don't be fiddling around with stickable magnets.

#20 7 years ago

I have a set of the long handled Kleins. They're nice but they don't totally replace a regular set of nut drivers, I still keep a set of them in my tool box. I use the Kliens when I need to install a nut in a tight spot or remove a nut that I'm concerned about dropping. And I'll use them for screw removal. But for regular removal such as on top of the playfield I often use a regular nut driver. Reason being that it can be a PITA to remove the nut from the Klein. Sounds like a petty complaint, but if you are removing quite a few nuts it gets old quickly. I've also seen broken magnets in the Kleins, fortunately mine have held up so far.

The thing I actually use most is a cordless screwdriver with a long 1/4" magnetic extension.

#21 7 years ago

I use a piece of painters masking tape to hold screws and nuts in place when using a nut driver.

#22 7 years ago

Old mechanics trick, you can take small piece of paper (or napkin, whatever), and put it on the top of the nut, then push that into the nut driver/socket. This holds the nut in the driver/socket when you can only get one hand into the location.

That said, I have 3 kleins that I love.

#23 7 years ago

The Kleins are great. Do not need to get the whole set. I rarely, if ever, use the smallest and biggest ones.

#24 7 years ago

1/4 5/16 and 3/8, and you'll be a happy camper.

If you remove the nut all the way, they do tend to stick inside the Kleins are are a PITA to remove.
    I'll often find myself screwing things back on a corner turn, just so that I can pull the nut driver off, and remove the nuts by hand. It's a stupid little trick, but it works.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I would lIke to find some thing better than Klein's personally.

Better than Klein would be Wiha.

Great German quality. Never do the tips get all chewed up needing to be redressed.

They are the most tightly toleranced nut drivers I've seen.

Available in normal and the very comfortable T-handle versions.

#26 7 years ago

I got a set of Kleins for my birthday in late October. The magnet already broke out of one. I mean to call them to see what kind of warranty they have. Has anyone ever exchanged one?

#27 7 years ago

I have a couple of Kleins (the two most common referenced above) and while I'm glad I have them and they come in handy, I wish the magnets were stronger in them as they are pretty weak. Still a weak magnetic driver is better than nothing in spots where I want to be careful not to drop the screws.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cyan:

1/4 5/16 and 3/8, and you'll be a happy camper.

What about the poor ol' 11/32?
    I use that at least as much as the 3/8, probly more.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I have a set of the long handled Kleins. They're nice but they don't totally replace a regular set of nut drivers, I still keep a set of them in my tool box. I use the Kliens when I need to install a nut in a tight spot or remove a nut that I'm concerned about dropping. And I'll use them for screw removal. But for regular removal such as on top of the playfield I often use a regular nut driver. Reason being that it can be a PITA to remove the nut from the Klein. Sounds like a petty complaint, but if you are removing quite a few nuts it gets old quickly. I've also seen broken magnets in the Kleins, fortunately mine have held up so far.
    The thing I actually use most is a cordless screwdriver with a long 1/4" magnetic extension.

Take the nut driver off the nut before you reach the bad of the thread...then remove my hand.

#30 7 years ago

Love my Klien's use them ALL the time. I though about only getting certain sizes but bought the whole kit and can honestly say I've used every single one of them.

#31 7 years ago

I just got mine and I am loving them

#32 7 years ago

I have a few of the magnetic drivers and love them but have found the magnets get brittle or come loose over time. Perhaps I am too rough with them?

#33 7 years ago

Yep, thats pretty much the exact same "set" I bought. I've been super happy with them. Not sure why magnets are coming out of peoples drivers though, never seen that happen on mine.

I do wish there was a nut "release" button. I use the magnetic drivers more for putting nuts on than taking them off.

#34 7 years ago

I use the standard Craftsman nut driver set for most of my work. You have to have a non magnetic set for the components like playfield posts where there is a pin on top of the nut position or where you are installing or removing nuts. 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" are the most common for these.

The only magnetic I have is a 1/4" long shaft Klein for installing and removing the 1/4" hex head screws on WPC and other games.

This gets me 99% of the items I ever need to address regardless of the game, EM or late model.

As for the Klein magnets, yeah, they lose power. I have not tried to re-magnetize one but suspect it would work.

Mike O.
    Team-EM

#35 7 years ago

There is also McMaster if you don't want a whole set: http://www.mcmaster.com/#magnetic-nutdrivers/=pjsnzu

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Didn't you spend $11k not to long ago on a MM? Spend the $70 bucks! Don't be fiddling around with stickable magnets.

Traded it for TAF, TFTC, DM and FT. Also recently got WH20. I don't do major repair work (mainly 'cuz I'm still learning) but can already see where having the magnetic set would be nice. I'm not averse to spending the $70 but if there is a less expensive alternative that works I'm all for it. Also, had I not seen some negative reviews about the magnets falling out, I probably would have never started this thread.

#37 7 years ago

I use a tool magnetizer / demagnetizer. It is short term but works good.

http://www.staples.com/Wiha-Tools-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer-Tool-2-inch/product_699881

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Take the nut driver off the nut before you reach the bad of the thread...then remove my hand.

Then drop said nut and defeat the entire reason for using a magnetic driver in the first place.

#39 7 years ago

I used different sizes I measured the opening and get the closes size also don’t get the thinnest ones or they wont be close enough to the head of the screw to hold. there cheap try some different sizes.

#40 7 years ago

Hey Darin I got the Klein nut drivers a few months ago. Definitely worth the cost. I love them!

#41 7 years ago

semi-OT but does anyone have a recommendation for a set of nut setters (I think that's the name)? I'm looking for some to use with a little Bosch ps21 but the ones I find aren't hollow.

#42 7 years ago

I have 2 sets of the Klein 7 piece sets.

Use all but 1 size frequently.

#43 7 years ago

xcelite......

1 month later
    #44 7 years ago

41Y06XT8Z5L.jpgSeems like these would work pretty well...
    Vermont American 3 Piece 1/4-Inch Hex Shank Magnetic Nut Setter Set with 1/4-Inch, 5/16-Inch and 3/8-Inch Nutsetters
    amazon.com link »

#45 7 years ago

I actually ended up buying some Kleins and wouldn't you know it, the first time I used them I had the nuts falling out. They certainly don't have great magnets...either that or the nuts were not metal.

I did have to be VERY careful not to touch anything for fear of the nut giving way. I actually lost one between the upper and lower playfields on White Water while trying to change out a bulb which I couldn't reach with my hand.

#46 7 years ago

yes i will say they seem to be cheaply made, I've had my set for awhile, i don't think there are many other options around

#47 7 years ago

Ordered the kleins also couple of months ago. Good fit but the magnetic quality surely leaves room for improvement.....

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Better than Klein would be Wiha.
    Great German quality. Never do the tips get all chewed up needing to be redressed.
    They are the most tightly toleranced nut drivers I've seen.
    Available in normal and the very comfortable T-handle versions.

+1 - Wiha tools are the best. Very spendy, but you get what you pay for. I think Klein's quality has declined in recent years.....

#49 7 years ago

The two smaller sizes of the Klein long shaft magnetic come as a set at Home Depot for $20.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from NathanP:

The two smaller sizes of the Klein long shaft magnetic come as a set at Home Depot for $20.

That is exactly what I bought. I'm glad I didn't spend more than the $20. That said, they are better than my non-magnetic...just not by much.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.50
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.50
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 170.96
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 16.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside