16 days ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Diospinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 16 days ago

Okay guys this is a bit serious, bit tongue in cheek type of post. I'm only about half way serious about this idea of mine, and I'd like to know thoughts.
    So I'm not at the point right now of completely out of room in my house. I might be able to fit 2 more pinball machines in my house with the current setup.
    And maybe if I move some stuff around even get possibly a 3rd... However, I don't think that would work. As the area where I could move the pins to I wouldn't be able to take the glass off. And we all know that you need to take the glass off for many reasons. So I really don't think I have too many options with my home setup.

I am single. And I have reasonable kitchen area. I'm thinking of putting in a wheeled island(just a small one) and I think even with an island I'd have space for a pinball machine. Yes, it would restrict the space. But, not horribly so. Still plenty of room to cook and clean.

Now my thoughts. Grease of course and splatter and smoke could and would possibly spread to the pinball. Splashed water from dishes is a possibility. Also, this is an old house. And generally a little colder in winter due to the old door and a minor draft. I do put up weather stripping in the winter and I have a blanket I put down to cover the draft. I probably will be replacing both the door and frame soon. But, still could be a bit drafty.

So because of this. I wasn't thinking a great pin. But, a cheap 1,000-1,700 dollar pin for the kitchen. Something fun. But, also something I wouldn't mind people accidentally brushing up against and possibly scraping or denting.

I'm not in a rush to get a kitchen pin. It was just a silly idea that I had, and then I thought... Hey.. Why not... It look nice next to my popcorn machine and my pizza pizzazz. My goal would be to of course fill up my house with 2 more good quality pins. And then decide if I want a kitchen pin... I don't mind letting a brother store a pin at his house, but his wife has always been cagey on that. And I just rather not. Hell, I'd let him have 2-4. If he lets me play them when I want.

So what are your thoughts. Am I insane? Would it just be too risky and damage the pin to all heck? I mean. Wake up. Turn the pinball machine on. Play a game. cook up some eggs. Sounds like a winner to me!

#2 16 days ago

*Cliff notes man*

#3 16 days ago

Are you already or would you consider hosting pinball parties and IFPA pinball tournaments at your place?

If so, I always felt that having 9 to 10 games is a nice size collection for tournaments.
    With 9 machines and room for 10, you have at least 8 to use for many tournament formats, and 1 pin can be an alternate if needed, if one of the 8 machines breaks during tournament, and is too difficult or time-consuming to fix on the spot.
    For a pingolf tournament, 9 machines works out great to use for playing a 9 hole or 18 hole tournament.

Having space for 10 pins, even if you only have 9 pins is great. This makes it a bit easier to move in a project pin to work on, or to have room to move collection pins around, or to work on pins, etc.

So, related to your situation, it appears you have 9 pins in your current collection, and in your post above you are mentioning space constraints, but want to stuff in a few more machines. Perhaps just limit your collection to 9 or 10 pins to leave enough room for moving pins around in you house. It seems like you already have a decent mix of machines (late 70's early ss thru modern 2018/19 pins). Perhaps get one cool fun e-m type to help broaden your collection.

#4 16 days ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

*Cliff notes man*

I've been sequestered in my home since Tuesday with orders from state to not go out if I don't need to, and I live alone. So... I'm a bit more wordy than usual. I called up a few people to chat today. And even still. A bit stir crazy. And not of the fun Wilder Pryor variety.

#5 16 days ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Are you already or would you consider hosting pinball parties and IFPA pinball tournaments at your place?
    If so, I always felt that having 9 to 10 games is a nice size collection for tournaments.
    With 9 machines and room for 10, you have at least 8 to use for many tournament formats, and 1 pin can be an alternate if needed, if one of the 8 machines breaks during tournament, and is too difficult or time-consuming to fix on the spot.
    For a pingolf tournament, 9 machines works out great to use for playing a 9 hole or 18 hole tournament.
    Having space for 10 pins, even if you only have 9 pins is great. This makes it a bit easier to move in a project pin to work on, or to have room to move collection pins around, or to work on pins, etc.
    So, related to your situation, it appears you have 9 pins in your current collection, and in your post above you are mentioning space constraints, but want to stuff in a few more machines. Perhaps just limit your collection to 9 or 10 pins to leave enough room for moving pins around in you house. It seems like you already have a decent mix of machines (late 70's early ss thru modern 2018/19 pins). Perhaps get one cool fun e-m type to help broaden your collection.

I have to fix a few of my pins. They're not all working. breakshot is the one that I really need to fix and will be the hardest and most costly. But, I do want to get it fixed.
    Hardbody I don't know what the issue with it is. But, I'm not worried about that one.
    Raven should be a easy. Just really weak flippers, and now the display stopped working. But, I think I caused that by messing around. It originally worked. So those pins are not working right now. Elivra and the Party Monsters as well. I'm hoping just cold solder with one of the boards on it.

I have some time on my hands and I think I'll start with Sinbad and replacing the bands and possibly trying to clean the drop target mech. And maybe spinner mech. Despite wanting to clean the mechs, the game plays really, really good.

I'm still learning a lot about pin repair. So it might seem like a lot of my machines are down. And they are. But, they'll all get working. I don't know if I want an em to be honest. At least not right now(but it could be the kitchen pin.). I'm thinking at least 1 of my remaining spaces will be a modern game, for the nice deep ruleset.

About hosting. I thought about having a pinball night with my friends. But, I have no parking except for street parking. And people get their cars sideswiped quite a bit.

#6 16 days ago

*Cliff notes man*

#7 16 days ago

Are your intentions to stay single? . I kid, but seriously too... maybe pins should shouldn’t spread too far, kitchen might be pushing it. Now if you could get one in the bathroom, so you could hit the throne and play ...lol. Probably hygienic and h20 issues there. Too bad. But then again, it’s your place.. do as you like!

#8 16 days ago

It's your house...im assuming you live alone? Lol. I didn't mean to make it sound that way.
    At any rate, it's your house...do what you want.

I know a guy locally that has his entire house dedicated to arcades and pinballs. Every. Single. Room. Kitchen, living room, den, washer dryer room, etc.
    Only the bathroom is "game-free"
    It's pretty awesome.

#9 15 days ago

I have games in every room and garage except bathrooms, kitchen and laundry room. Yes, I have 2 projects stored on my master bedroom.

I have 5 games on loan. It is nice to be able to swap games now and then. That way I can tell if I miss a game enough to sell once I get it back.

That being said, games will stay out of my kitchen/breakfast area.

#10 15 days ago

If you don’t plan to date or have a need to keep up appearances with anyone, sure, go for it.

#11 15 days ago

Why are you concerned or considering Additional pins when the ones you have don’t work? A new one won’t make the other ones start working in fact they will only distract you from doing what needs to be done with even less space! Fix the down games and play them. You may find you don’t Need more games or that you have games you didn’t want running in the beginning and sell them for space. More is not always a solution.

#12 15 days ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Why are you concerned or considering Additional pins when the ones you have don’t work? A new one won’t make the other ones start working in fact they will only distract you from doing what needs to be done with even less space! Fix the down games and play them. You may find you don’t Need more games or that you have games you didn’t want running in the beginning and sell them for space. More is not always a solution.

I've had a bit of rotten luck with game repair. I'd fix a game and then boom it break again. Fix a game and boom it broke again. When I first started collecting I didn't know how to do anything myself. So it was costly to have them fixed. Now I'm slowly learning how to fix. And enjoying the process. The new Elvira machine was just killer for any of the other pins for me to want to fix. As I was just too focused on playing that machine. Even over my Iron Maiden.

Some of the games that I do need to fix still play better than most games you'll play on a route. I just like my games to be as close to 100% as possible. With that said I think there is a switch in Iron Maiden I have to adjust or fix in the Sarcophagus lock. I hope thats an easy one. And you are right. I do need to focus on fixing what I have. Its just if a new pin that I really want comes out or if I come across a deal too good to pass up, I might take it.

That's what happened with my Night Moves. It was basically right in my backyard with too good a price to say no to. The EATPM I should have passed on. But, I think once I fix it I'll be glad I didn't. I'm really hoping just cold solder, but I'm rubbish with fixing pins. And I don't like dropping 200 dollars per repair.

#13 15 days ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I don't like dropping 200 dollars per repair.

Time to create some new repair threads so we can help you get them repaired.

#14 15 days ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It's your house...im assuming you live alone? Lol. I didn't mean to make it sound that way.
    At any rate, it's your house...do what you want.
    I know a guy locally that has his entire house dedicated to arcades and pinballs. Every. Single. Room. Kitchen, living room, den, washer dryer room, etc.
    Only the bathroom is "game-free"
    It's pretty awesome.

I got the toy shock digital pin in my upstairs bathroom. Its not setup or turned on. But, I'm storing it in there. As that room is really, really big and I don't like that stupid thing.

And yes I am single. And plan on staying that way for a long, long, long time. These pins are kinda my insurance policy about that.

Funny thing. The woman I sometimes see. She hates, HATES pinballs. But, since I only see her every few months in person and I have to travel halfway cross the country to see her. I'm not worried about that turning serious.

#15 15 days ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Time to create some new repair threads so we can help you get them repaired.

I'm in the midst of 2 right now. 3... If I count the my installation of hte new rail guides for Elvira 3.

I just want one of my brothers to help me with the multimeter. But, I might tinker with that myself and see what I can do. Now. I just have to find that blooming thing. I put it away for safe keeping. But, I can't remember where I put it. Might just buy a new one.

#16 15 days ago

I just played a bit of kitchen Flash Gordon this morning. So I say go for it!

And no I don’t live alone, but the husband approves of the game placement.

#17 15 days ago
    Quoted from OhKeePaw:

I just played a bit of kitchen Flash Gordon this morning. So I say go for it!
    And no I don’t live alone, but the husband approves of the game placement.

You can save the universe and make toast at the same time.

Truly a great hero!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 289.00
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 51.45
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 124.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 9.90
    Playfields
    The Super Fasteners
    $ 209.99
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside