5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 267 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“what is next music pin you want to see made”

• Muse 3 votes
      4%
    • Beattles 18 votes
      22%
    • Aerosmith 6 votes
      7%
    • I dont give a flying poop, I'm sick of music based pins lets see an original theme! 55 votes
      67%

(82 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

kisstory.jpg
    Kiss  Madison 2-5-1976 005.jpg
    nelson twins.jpg
    KISS.jpg
    shut_up_and_take_my_money_by_gbrsou-d79erhs.jpg
    MUSE_FOND.jpg
    image-561.jpg
    image-895.jpg
    Stern Nugent.jpg
    2014-06-09-12-42-55.png
    image-917.jpg
    image-140.jpg
    image-648.jpg
    image-764.jpg
    image-803.jpg
    image-999.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider unigroove.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Wonder if Jpop is going to sell his designs to Stern for a bit of cash flow and speed up the Stern release. I read somewhere that Kiss wanted to see a physical sample not just drawings so maybe this joint effort makes sense.

Well, apparently Stern grabbed the license after seeing the impact of JPop's game at MGC. Where John had to do a mockup first, Stern apparently didn't...

Ironically 'Stern over the years' was discussed by some people at the NW Show and one of the conclusions was that they were always a copying company. They copied Bally in the 70s/80s, they copied Williams in the 90s and onwards. And now they copy from small boutique shops. What's that saying about a fox losing his hairs but not his tricks? Sure the license was available to anyone, but Gary had mentioned several times that it would be too expensive. Sad to see JPop get screwed like this. I can only hope they will contact him and get him on board.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Jpop did not exactly get screwed.

He took his swing in the big leagues, and struck out.

His company has no track record in actually producing a commercial game (literally zero), Stern has produced Millions.

KISS knew that Jpop could tie up the license for years and not produce a single game for sale.

Jpop has had 3 or so games under development for years. Stern DELIVERS 3 different titles each year.

-

Jpop is the nicest guy in the world, but he is just not in the same league as Stern for such a big license.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. From a business point of view it does look a lot like KISS was not an option for Stern up till JPop showed what he came up with. Then Stern opted for the license and JPop got nothing (or screwed: "Thanks for opening our eyes to this potential game, now beat it").

Technically they didn't steal it because anybody could get it, but you can argue about whether it is a nice thing to do. JPop's game would have sold big time. It may actually have put JPop in the position to start up a large production and become a bigger player than the boutique player he is now. By preventing him from doing so they're also keeping JPop out of the big league and becoming a competitor. A win-win for Stern, but again not very nice. Pinball in general does not benefit.

It would be really interesting if JPop could get the license as well. Then it's up to who designs the best (selling) game. Personally I'd rather see Stern make JPop an offer to do the game for them. That way everybody wins. JPop gets his game done, Stern still have a great game to sell and it will look awesome.

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

It could also possibly be brought to market quicker which would benefit Stern I think. Reduced R&D costs and also allow more time for the next games to get more polish.

Maybe we should start a petition to get Stern to hire JPop for that title

#151 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Stern has only done bands that have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Until that happens, they probably won't consider it.

Isn't the hall of fame something sort of any successful band can get into as long as they pay for it?

#232 5 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

The thing is I do not believe Jpop would even go there if asked. bridges were burnt during this process i would think

At this point it's not about whether or not JPop would want to work with Stern, although I think he would, but I think it would be the right and most respectful thing to do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 254.99
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 15.95
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 28.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider unigroove.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside