5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 267 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“what is next music pin you want to see made”

• Muse 3 votes
      4%
    • Beattles 18 votes
      22%
    • Aerosmith 6 votes
      7%
    • I dont give a flying poop, I'm sick of music based pins lets see an original theme! 55 votes
      67%

(82 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

kisstory.jpg
    Kiss  Madison 2-5-1976 005.jpg
    nelson twins.jpg
    KISS.jpg
    shut_up_and_take_my_money_by_gbrsou-d79erhs.jpg
    MUSE_FOND.jpg
    image-561.jpg
    image-895.jpg
    Stern Nugent.jpg
    2014-06-09-12-42-55.png
    image-917.jpg
    image-140.jpg
    image-648.jpg
    image-764.jpg
    image-803.jpg
    image-999.jpg

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Stern has only done bands that have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Until that happens, they probably won't consider it.

Isn't the hall of fame something sort of any successful band can get into as long as they pay for it?

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I hope they wear that like the badge of honor it is.

That's how most bands feel until they're nominated.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I said that because, Stern has only done bands that have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

At least with GnR, they did it 20 years beforehand while the band was still somewhat relevant.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I said that because, Stern has only done bands that have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

WANGO-DEE-TANGO !

Stern Nugent.jpg
    #155 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I just don't see how he could have possibly done it. He already has promised and taken money for 3 games, what was the point of pursuing a 4th? Even if you assume he's going to build all 3 of his already planned games on time (which really isn't likely) that's a long ways out before a KISS game gets done. Who wants to license their name to someone who says "we'll make it awesome, but it's gonna be a few years before we do it"?

Besides the 3 games mentioned, JPOP is also working with PPS on the WPC 2.0 stuff. He's a talented artist/designer but I think he just has too many irons in the fire at this point. If I had any money tied up with him on RAZA or MG or AIW I'd be furious that he's spending his time mocking up a KISS game instead of getting his other games finished. Granted, the artwork did look great on KISS... It's just a colossal waste of his and everyone elses time that could be better used getting stuff done for his paying customers.

#156 5 years ago

Give us the walking dead pinball already Mr. Stern !!!!!!
    A Pinball with dudes with make up and high heels ? F*^% THAT S*^% ..... Give us some zombies to shoot at , not some drag queens freaks .....

image-895.jpg

image-561.jpg
    #157 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monarca1091:

Give us the walking dead pinball already M. Stern !!!!!!
    A Pinball with dudes with make up and high heels ? F*^% THAT S*^% ..... Give us some zombies to shoot at not some drag queens .....

image-895.jpg 133 KB

Next month

#158 5 years ago

Both Borg and Ritchie expressed that they are NOT KISS fans thus doubt they are doing that theme.
    Probably Trudeau's next title.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Ok, sorry. Didn't know that was what you were getting at. Well, here's to first times for anything.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

WANGO-DEE-TANGO !

Yeah, looks like it didn't matter back in the day when they did Nugent.

Maybe they will change their policy for the sake of popularity.

Odd things have been happening lately....

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

lol, don't take it personally, but to me, this is definition of sell out:

I'm not sure I get the whole "sell out" criticism. Celebrities lend their name/brand/image to products every day. I'm sure Dr. Pepper paid pretty well and it got a band whose popularity is waning a lot of free publicity. I bet it wasn't a particularly hard call.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Yeah, looks like it didn't matter back in the day when they did Nugent.

Or when they did GnR. When licensing a theme back in the 90s, manufacturers tried to keep it current for the most part. Except on some of the monster themes.

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

I'm not sure I get the whole "sell out" criticism. Celebrities lend their name/brand/image to products every day. I'm sure Dr. Pepper paid pretty well and it got a band whose popularity is waning a lot of free publicity. I bet it wasn't a particularly hard call.

There are a lot of bands where it wouldn't be a hard call to say "no, we're not lending our name to selling sugar water" too. I guess it's all about what you value. KISS is a commercial enterprise clearly, so maybe you can't sell out what was always commercial in the first place.

Anyways, it's neither here nor there, if people are fans I don't want to crap on that. It's not a theme for me, but I'm seeing the light on this being a game that could be successful. So more power to Stern, I hope it does well. Maybe I'll even like it despite myself.

#164 5 years ago

I would prefer a music pin based on bands that have released good music within the last five years. Even a compilation of bands would be better than something that was popular with little kids while I was listening to real metal back in the 70s.

#165 5 years ago

I think of KISS as a brand these days more than a band, and according to the recent article in Rolling Stone, I'm not sure they'd disagree.

From the article:

"He and Stanley do, however, talk about replacing themselves with new members and having Kiss continue to the end of time."

Maybe they'll just get animatronic versions of themselves and put them up onstage when they can no longer perform the music themselves.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I would prefer a music pin based on bands that have released good music within the last five years.

That would be great, except that teens who listen to new bands don't have $7,000 to buy a pinball machine, and old bands who still release good music would be like AC/DC.

Stern's licensing department might just know what they are doing.....

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I would prefer a music pin based on bands that have released good music within the last five years. Even a compilation of bands would be better than something that was popular with little kids while I was listening to real metal back in the 70s.

MUSE_FOND.jpg
    #168 5 years ago

Muse is definitely more current. And there are a whole slew of other alternative bands that's music would fit right into the gameplay experience. Not sure how many other pinballers are into alt rock, but I am. That is why I will sit this one out. I just can't see buying a Kiss machine when that was so yesteryear.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Muse is definitely more current. And there are a whole slew of other alternative bands that's music would fit right into the gameplay experience. Not sure how many other pinballers are into alt rock, but I am. That is why I will sit this one out. I just can't see buying a Kiss machine when that was so yesteryear.

There are very few current Rock bands that sell as much music and concert tickets as Muse.
    I think a Muse pin could happen in 10 to 15 years once their fan base ages a bit.

#170 5 years ago

Muse and Black Keyes would make great pins!

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That would be great, except that teens who listen to new bands don't have $7,000 to buy a pinball machine,

Yes, but they do have pocket change. And if they walked into an arcade or anywhere a machine is on route and saw something they could relate to, they just might just become addicted. Just like we did. Keep pushing old fart themes at them, and it's game over.

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Forget the theme. Hope for good gameplay.

Why would you ask us to forget the theme? Theme matters a lot to many of us. Of course we all "hope for good gameplay", but can't we ask for a good theme too? Or do you think that it's unreasonable to ask for both?

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Both Borg and Ritchie expressed that they are NOT KISS fans thus doubt they are doing that theme.
    Probably Trudeau's next title.

I hope that Trudeau get's it ... then we can expect a layout we haven't seen before.

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yes, but they do have pocket change. And if they walked into an arcade or anywhere a machine is on route and saw something they could relate to, they just might just become addicted. Just like we did. Keep pushing old fart themes at them, and it's game over.

I hope they keep making a new music pin each year.
    Maybe Iron Maiden this year and Kiss in 2015
    But how many 70's/80's rock bands make since? Rush maybe
    U2 has been huge forever but I am not sure there music fits a pinball machine.
    But at a point they will need to try something more current.
    Not sure what 90's bands would make since; Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers or Pearl Jam maybe
    Some point we will see another crap music pin I am sure; I do wonder if the Rolling Stones was done now would it be more popular? Or is there major fan base just too old

#175 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

lol, don't take it personally, but to me, this is definition of sell out:

We'll I've got some advice for you little buddy...

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yes, but they do have pocket change. And if they walked into an arcade

Any Arcades with pinball in Orange County?

None by my house either.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't drink Dr. Pepper because it's disgusting?

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from Homertv:

I hope they keep making a new music pin each year.

I keep going back to GnR. Was it really all that risky to make a machine like that with a band that had only been popular for a few years? I thought it was the coolest thing ever when I first saw one on route. That is one of the reasons I own one now. It was a machine of it's time
    When I want to reminisce any of these other old bands I just flip the dial on my Sirius radio or put in a CD, but I'm not going backwards by spending $7000 on a new novelty pin from the past. I just can't do it. I got to see all these bands in their prime, and that memory is good enough for me.

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This was voted as the #1 worst cover song of all time; Celine Dion butchering You Shook Me All Night Long

Part of me is curious and wants to see the train wreck. But I'm just not going to click it. I know it would haunt me for weeks.

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Any Arcades with pinball in Orange County?

None by my house either.

There are pizza joints, hookah bars and lots of tattoo parlors. That seems to be where the young hipsters hang out these days. And if these places are not suitable for a game on route to get younger people involved, then modern pinball manufacturers should probably stay the course and cater to middle aged men longing for their youth. Let's do the Andrews Sisters next.

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Part of me is curious and wants to see the train wreck. But I'm just not going to click it. I know it would haunt me for weeks.

You can't unhear or unsee it - ever.

This was voted the #1 worst rock song of all time:

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Let's do the Andrews Sisters next;.

Don't give Gary any ideas

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can't unhear or unsee it - ever.
    » YouTube video

There are far, far, far worse rock songs than "We Built This City".

Marcus

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah that's up there for sure.
    I'd probably listen to that over "What's up" by 4 non blondes...which is aboot as "rock" as that piece of trash.

Quoted from Xerico:

There are far, far, far worse rock songs than "We Built This City".
    Marcus

Any late 80s Heart would fit that bill.

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice Tool reference.

It took me 30 seconds to place it ....

Tool would make a cool pin. But the songs are so long nobody would ever hear a full song. Except KME.

rd.

#186 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Nice Tool reference.
    It took me 30 seconds to place it ....
    Tool would make a cool pin. But the songs are so long nobody would ever hear a full song. Except KME.
    rd.

Speaking of Tool, this is one superb cover of 46 and 2...by a bunch of (very talented) kids!

#187 5 years ago

Kiss, Tool, or Andrews Sisters. Hey OP, can we add a poll?

#188 5 years ago

Like it or not, current pop culture in pinball favors music themed pins. Stern is selling a S%#* Load of them, they are going to ride this wave until the horse is beaten to death. KISS was their easiest choice to keep the fire burning. KISS is easily the most merchandised band on the planet, they have a fan base that spans 40+ years! Is still big in the US, and even more so worldwide. The theme and art easily lends itself to pinball. I think that Stern didn't quite get the formula right for Rolling Stones, but obviously tuned, tweaked, and nearly perfected it for AC/DC and then Metallica. I don't believe KISS will outsell AC/DC, but it is very possible if game play is good. I do believe the LE's will sell out just as fast if not faster. Stern has learned that movie themes come and go, but music has a lot more staying power. I know everyone here has their own opinion, or bands they would like to see, but Stern is picking the lowest, easiest fruit now.

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from Iceman5000:

Stern is picking the lowest, easiest fruit now.

And the top fruit is just falling from the tree.

#190 5 years ago

they oughtta talked with AeroSmith instead lol.

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Let's do the Andrews Sisters next.

My 78 year old Dad may like that pin. There Captain Pike.

#192 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Speaking of Tool, this is one superb cover of 46 and 2...by a bunch of (very talented) kids!
    » YouTube video

That's awesome!

I'm guessing one of the kids dads owns a recording studio? That sure looks like a good setup.

rd.

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

» YouTube video

Cool. The little girl singer's voice seems a bit too baritone for MJK though

Edit: Wow. That drummer is pretty frickin' awesome. Danny Carey would be proud.

#194 5 years ago

A KISS pin will sell. Think, 40 to 55 year olds, with extra cash. Looking for something to relieve their mid life crisis problems. Ohhh Yaa.

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Captain Pike.

Now there's a guy that didn't make the cut.

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

That's awesome!
    I'm guessing one of the kids dads owns a recording studio? That sure looks like a good setup.
    rd.

They are all music students, taught by Aaron O'Keefe:

https://aaronokeefe.bandcamp.com/

Quoted from chadderack:

Cool. The little girl singer's voice seems a bit too baritone for MJK though
    Edit: Wow. That drummer is pretty frickin' awesome. Danny Carey would be proud.

The drummer is awesome, and I find the bassist to be extremely impressive as well.

I actually really like the girls voice for this too. Just seems to fit the song.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

They are all music students, taught by Aaron O'Keefe:
    https://aaronokeefe.bandcamp.com/

The drummer is awesome, and I find the bassist to be extremely impressive as well.
    I actually really like the girls voice for this too. Just seems to fit the song.

Yeah She's great. I was just making a friendly dig at MJK.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Well, apparently Stern grabbed the license after seeing the impact of JPop's game at MGC. Where John had to do a mockup first, Stern apparently didn't...
    Ironically 'Stern over the years' was discussed by some people at the NW Show and one of the conclusions was that they were always a copying company. They copied Bally in the 70s/80s, they copied Williams in the 90s and onwards. And now they copy from small boutique shops. What's that saying about a fox losing his hairs but not his tricks? Sure the license was available to anyone, but Gary had mentioned several times that it would be too expensive. Sad to see JPop get screwed like this. I can only hope they will contact him and get him on board.

The thing is I do not believe Jpop would even go there if asked. bridges were burnt during this process i would think

#199 5 years ago

Muse? Radiohead is (U.S.)/are (U.K.) more popular.

#200 5 years ago

Really!?! those are the choices on the poll???

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 70.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Pinball Machine
    Monster Bash Remake Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9.99
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 10.95
    $ 23.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside