5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 267 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“what is next music pin you want to see made”

• Muse 3 votes
      4%
    • Beattles 18 votes
      22%
    • Aerosmith 6 votes
      7%
    • I dont give a flying poop, I'm sick of music based pins lets see an original theme! 55 votes
      67%

(82 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

kisstory.jpg
    Kiss  Madison 2-5-1976 005.jpg
    nelson twins.jpg
    KISS.jpg
    shut_up_and_take_my_money_by_gbrsou-d79erhs.jpg
    MUSE_FOND.jpg
    image-561.jpg
    image-895.jpg
    Stern Nugent.jpg
    2014-06-09-12-42-55.png
    image-917.jpg
    image-140.jpg
    image-648.jpg
    image-764.jpg
    image-803.jpg
    image-999.jpg

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 5 years ago

This might be the pathway that finally made a deal possible... who knows.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kiss-inks-multi-year-merchandising-690819

#102 5 years ago

Pictures of Coming Soon Willie Nelson pin...
    image-96.jpg
    image-648.jpg
    Upper Playfield
    image-830.jpg
    image-803.jpg
    Sides of Playfield
    image-999.jpg
    Lower Playfield
    image-764.jpg
    Bumpers

#103 5 years ago

Should've been Limp Bizkit; it has been less than half as long since anyone gave a shit about them.

Seriously, though. Kiss hasn't been relevant for several decades.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Should've been Limp Bizkit; it has been less than half as long since anyone gave a shit about them.

Someone actually gave a shit about Limp Bizkit once?

Ok.. Who? Fess up.....

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wisconsinpinball:

This might be the pathway that finally made a deal possible... who knows.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kiss-inks-multi-year-merchandising-690819

Okay, I take it back. Theme still does nothing for me, but looking at those numbers and the facts I can't argue with Stern taking this license. Looks like a smart play. Do the art right guys!

#106 5 years ago

Over the past few decades with the rise of the Internet and niche culture, there are fewer and fewer things that unite us.

Massive cultural events like the MASH or Seinfeld finales are a thing of the past (100+ million viewers and 76+ million viewers respectively). Big artists of today are also far more disposable and even if they capture the zeitgeist, they are more than likely gone within a year or two. The Madonnas, Michael Jacksons, Bruce Springsteens, and even the Kisses (?) of the world, that seemingly everyone in my school listened to at one point have given way to a more fractured musical landscape as everyone has access to everything all the time and it is much easier to discover small artists.

Therefore, I can understand pinball designers reaching back into the past for touchstones that reach a large percentage of the population. For modern such touchstones, I think big TV shows and summer blockbusters are the closest we have.

I personally don't care for Kiss, but I think the visual/theatrical nature of their shows, make-up, etc. would lend themselves better to a pinball machine than Metallica, AC/DC, or The Rolling Stones. There are also enough of the songs that are catchy and familiar to most people that I don't see why this couldn't work very well for a pinball machine.

#107 5 years ago

not a kiss fan but if the game is great i will buy a premium. i really hope to see iron maiden with original artwork first and hope kiss doesn't jeopardize this. i do like music pins even if not a fan of the band.

#108 5 years ago

Internet rumours persist that KISS will be doing a stint in Las Vegas doing regular shows.
    Looks like it will be at the Hard Rock.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Internet rumours persist that KISS will be doing a stint in Las Vegas doing regular shows.

Maybe they can do a double bill with Celine Dion at Caesars?

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe they can do a double bill with Celine Dion at Caesars?

Celine rocks harder then Kiss and she sucks big time
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqwua_celine-dion-it-s-all-coming-back-to_fun
    I always thought of Kiss as beginner Rock or training wheel rock that most out grow by the time your 8.
    They were always such a joke to me and my friends.
    May as well make a Duran Duran pin it would be better and that is not saying much.

#111 5 years ago

I dont have a stern pin yet. But if this is done right i will buy one. But not NIB. Just wait a few months after release and pick one up here for a discount. Just need to be fast about it.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Homertv:

.May as well make a Duran Duran pin it would be better and that is not saying much.

Why do you gotta dis Duran Duran? I listen to everything from Air Supply to Iron Maiden, and DD made some great music over the years.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from Homertv:

Celine rocks harder then Kiss and she sucks big time

This was voted as the #1 worst cover song of all time; Celine Dion butchering You Shook Me All Night Long

As an unbelievable bonus, it even is introduced by Ellen DeGeneres !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Why do you gotta dis Duran Duran?

Dising Kiss and Duran Duran is just like shooting fish in a barrel.
    Duran Duran has more talent then Kiss for sure but would make a bad pin just like Kiss.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This was voted as the #1 worst cover song of all time; Celine Dion butchering You Shook Me All Night Long
    As an unbelievable bonus, it even is introduced by Ellen DeGeneres !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    » YouTube video

Ellen dancing to Celine...
    image-140.jpg
    Ellen would dance to elevator music.

How about an Ellen dancing pin...
    LOL

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dis_Pinballer:

Ellen dancing to Celine.

Ellen would dance to elevator music.

Aren't they the same thing?

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Aren't they the same thing?

No, very different.
    Elevator music doesn't give you a mental picture of Celine's ugly face.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

When was the last time KISS was relevant and not an enormous sellout joke?

Somewhere around 1993.

#119 5 years ago

Conversation caused a mental image...
    image-917.jpg

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Homertv:

Dising Kiss and Duran Duran is just like shooting fish in a barrel.Duran Duran has more talent then Kiss for sure but would make a bad pin just like Kiss.

You're free to have your own opinion, but there is something to be said about appreication for musical diversity.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

You're free to have your own opinion, but there is something to be said about appreication for musical diversity.

Too many musical pins with same style of music.
    We need fresh themes on current pop culture.
    Walking Dead, new Star Wars, or Game of Thrones.
    Musical pins are becoming stale.

#122 5 years ago

Which KISS band member owns pins? Is it Paul or Ace? There are photos on this site but I can't seem to find them.
    During Genes show there is a shot of the Bally pin in his house, but it may be just part of his collection. I wonder if he has it autographed?

#123 5 years ago

So, was there an official statement by the company? Does the OP work for Stern or is one of the lawyers?

If you answer No to both of those questions, I will start a thread with my "official" announcement.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

So, was there an official statement by the company? Does the OP work for Stern or is one of the lawyers?
    If you answer No to both of those questions, I will start a thread with my "official" announcement.

-

Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Here is an email I just got from John Popadiuk:
    Hi Ben,
    We just found out that from our licensing person that Stern
    pinball has signed the deal for a new kiss game. We were not
    able to secure the game. So our "one-off" game will be the only
    one we make.
    Thank you for your interest, but we are sad here as the proto
    game looks spectacular. But at least we got to show our vision
    with some ideas what can be done for pinball.
    John

#125 5 years ago

Too many musical pins with same style of music.
    We need fresh themes on current pop culture.

The last two music pins have outsold the two games that came between them (XM and AVE) by a huge margin. If you ran Stern, what would you do?

I hear Stern will be doing the Paris Hilton music pin next year.

#126 5 years ago

Just seen that in the other post. I put money on the next being a REM pin. I guess I gotta pay up.

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Originally this song/video was supposed to be performed by Micheal Jackson, but MJ though the kid was too old, so it got tossed down to Paris:

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Wonder if Jpop is going to sell his designs to Stern for a bit of cash flow and speed up the Stern release. I read somewhere that Kiss wanted to see a physical sample not just drawings so maybe this joint effort makes sense.

Well, apparently Stern grabbed the license after seeing the impact of JPop's game at MGC. Where John had to do a mockup first, Stern apparently didn't...

Ironically 'Stern over the years' was discussed by some people at the NW Show and one of the conclusions was that they were always a copying company. They copied Bally in the 70s/80s, they copied Williams in the 90s and onwards. And now they copy from small boutique shops. What's that saying about a fox losing his hairs but not his tricks? Sure the license was available to anyone, but Gary had mentioned several times that it would be too expensive. Sad to see JPop get screwed like this. I can only hope they will contact him and get him on board.

#129 5 years ago

Actually, Simmons and Stanley are such money whores that they'd probably be happy to license two machines.

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Sad to see JPop get screwed like this.

I just don't see how he could have possibly done it. He already has promised and taken money for 3 games, what was the point of pursuing a 4th? Even if you assume he's going to build all 3 of his already planned games on time (which really isn't likely) that's a long ways out before a KISS game gets done. Who wants to license their name to someone who says "we'll make it awesome, but it's gonna be a few years before we do it"?

#131 5 years ago

Actually Stern has been pursuing this license for years, serious discussion started again March after Kiss signed with a new marketing and licensing company. Rest assured the license to produce Kiss Pinball is exclusive to Stern.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Sure the license was available to anyone, but Gary had mentioned several times that it would be too expensive.

Yes, Gary was asked in one of his speeches two years ago about KISS and he said they wanted way too much $$$$ and money up front.

Amazing what a little competition with AC/DC can do to loosen up the pocketbook.

Quoted from unigroove:

Sad to see JPop get screwed like this.

Jpop did not exactly get screwed.

He took his swing in the big leagues, and struck out.

His company has no track record in actually producing a commercial game (literally zero), Stern has produced Millions.

KISS knew that Jpop could tie up the license for years and not produce a single game for sale.

Jpop has had 3 or so games under development for years. Stern DELIVERS 3 different titles each year.

-

Jpop is the nicest guy in the world, but he is just not in the same league as Stern for such a big license.

In a few years, with a few released games under his belt, maybe Jpop could do Alice Cooper.....

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Good, means more time to save up for Iron Maiden.

Iron Maiden isn't inducted in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

#134 5 years ago

I believe a new KISS pinball will sell quite well (and Stern is in the business to sell machines not produce what's the flavor of the day machine) for 2 reasons... (and this comes from a lifelong fan)

1) KISS fans buy anything with the KISS logo and makeup faces on it.
    2) people who are not KISS fans will buy it if it's a good pinball as was the case with non AC/DC fans buying the AC/DC pinball.

If you look at the music based pinballs, the music is there, the theme is there, the developers just have to fill in the playfield with these images. Other themes might require more development (Tron for example could use the music by Daft Punk).

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I hope they wear that like the badge of honor it is.

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I don't really care who is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and don't see how that is relevant to my statement. I imagine there are a lot of bands/people in there that I don't like and most of the bands I do like are not in there. Popularity doesn't mean squat as to whether I like a band's music. The Cult is one of my favorite bands and they were never popular. Shame really as they freakin ROCK.

#137 5 years ago

Jpop should have had everyone at the show sign his NDA form. Seriously, the guy is so secretive about his stuff, if he was at all concerned about losing the license, he shouldn't (or wouldn't) have brought that game to the show.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I don't really care who is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and don't see how that is relevant to my statement. I imagine there are a lot of bands/people in there that I don't like and most of the bands I do like are not in there. Popularity doesn't mean squat as to whether I like a band's music. The Cult is one of my favorite bands and they were never popular. Shame really as they freakin ROCK.

Lets go down the list of some real steller inductees:
    Abba (Swedish Pop?!?!?)
    Sly and the Family Stone (Peace movement pop music?)
    The O'Jays (Prime was Disco!)
    Little Richard (May 2 good songs)
    The Flamingos (DooWop?!?!)

FYI I agree with you.

#139 5 years ago

I'm a SunKing Baby!!!

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

The Cult is one of my favorite bands and they were never popular. Shame really as they freakin ROCK.

Now you're talking!
    Got some LP from The Cult. Cool artwork... should find a way to listen to them again.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The last two music pins have outsold the two games that came between them (XM and AVE) by a huge margin. If you ran Stern, what would you do?
    » YouTube video

I wasn't referring to pop culture music. Bieber and One Direction aren't talented individuals. XM and AVE were poor game designs with a lot of cheap toys. I blame the designer because the comic market is hot. The pins weren't epic, and the XM display at my local dealer was always broke, thus poor quality. Stern can't slap a brand on a pin with poor game layout, and expect people to open their wallets. Walking Dead, new Star Wars, Game of Thrones, or other popular brands could be made into epic pins. Stern will wear out the music genre, and future pins will sit. Like I said in a joke above, Stern is probably considering a Willie Nelson/pot pin.

#142 5 years ago

So there are now three front page threads proclaiming this as official but I cant figure out what really started this landslide. Anybody got a link?

#143 5 years ago

I better start making my Gene Simmons bust topper that blows fire!!

2014-06-09-12-42-55.png
    #144 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I don't really care who is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I imagine there are a lot of bands/people in there that I don't like and most of the bands I do like are not in there.

People think that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is some benevolent museum of music.

It is not free like a metropolitan art museum is, it is a $25 to get in and $15 to park and then $165 for the "Headstock" vintage guitar exhibit or $90 to see Yoko's "paintings" or whatever the current nonsense is.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

I'm a SunKing Baby!!!

lizard in a bottle yeah

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Jpop did not exactly get screwed.

He took his swing in the big leagues, and struck out.

His company has no track record in actually producing a commercial game (literally zero), Stern has produced Millions.

KISS knew that Jpop could tie up the license for years and not produce a single game for sale.

Jpop has had 3 or so games under development for years. Stern DELIVERS 3 different titles each year.

-

Jpop is the nicest guy in the world, but he is just not in the same league as Stern for such a big license.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. From a business point of view it does look a lot like KISS was not an option for Stern up till JPop showed what he came up with. Then Stern opted for the license and JPop got nothing (or screwed: "Thanks for opening our eyes to this potential game, now beat it").

Technically they didn't steal it because anybody could get it, but you can argue about whether it is a nice thing to do. JPop's game would have sold big time. It may actually have put JPop in the position to start up a large production and become a bigger player than the boutique player he is now. By preventing him from doing so they're also keeping JPop out of the big league and becoming a competitor. A win-win for Stern, but again not very nice. Pinball in general does not benefit.

It would be really interesting if JPop could get the license as well. Then it's up to who designs the best (selling) game. Personally I'd rather see Stern make JPop an offer to do the game for them. That way everybody wins. JPop gets his game done, Stern still have a great game to sell and it will look awesome.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Personally I'd rather see Stern make JPop an offer to do the game for them. That way everybody wins. JPop gets his game done, Stern still have a great game to sell and it will look awesome.

It could also possibly be brought to market quicker which would benefit Stern I think. Reduced R&D costs and also allow more time for the next games to get more polish.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I don't really care who is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and don't see how that is relevant to my statement.

I said that because, Stern has only done bands that have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Until that happens, they probably won't consider it.

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

It could also possibly be brought to market quicker which would benefit Stern I think. Reduced R&D costs and also allow more time for the next games to get more polish.

Maybe we should start a petition to get Stern to hire JPop for that title

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 26.95
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    € 18.95
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 8.95
    There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside