Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Chitownpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2814 (resized).JPG
KISS Mode Ladder (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Creating a new topic so we don't overcast the "Where's the KISS Code?" thread...

KISS Remastered in my working name for a proof of concept project that I started 2 months ago using Mission Pinball Framework (MPF). The goal of the POC was to determine if I could re-code my KISS Pro with new rules. As a POC, that part is complete. Recoding my KISS Pro can be done with MPF! MPF is an amazing platform and now with some limited Spike support, there is hope for new rules on your Spike system games. KISS Remastered is flipping on my Pro but still VERY crude at this point. Here is what is working so far:

* All hardware is configured and addressable - everything on the playfield works
* GI, attract mode, ball saves, VUK, some base scoring
* Grid completion, the collection of instruments, letters, pop bumper cap inserts, etc.
* Some unique light shows for certain events
* Song selection carousel
* Some songs, HD videos, callouts and sound effects are in place but many to go
* A couple VERY basic game modes
* Lots of bugs!

This effort is still in it's infancy. There are a host of other problems to solve such as target hardware, audio, the display and how to deal copyrighted assets. Currently, it runs from a laptop connected to Spike.

I'm also looking for help if you are interested. I'm not really interested in suggestions for new rules yet - we already have that in another thread. I will be needing help with images, animations, videos, mode design, screen design and especially coding. You can "code" MPF with NO CODING but it is certainly helpful to have a strong technical, problem solving background.

If you are interested in the coding aspect I would listen to this 3 hour podcast on MPF - it is really an amazing project on it's own. The MPF crew is an amazing group of guys and very supportive.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/boom-go-pinball-podcast/e/43943245

Once I get the current code stable, I'll upload a video of KISS Remastered to Youtube. "Stay tuned."

My intention is to give the code away to KISS owners IF its an improvement over the current KISS code. It would still require some additional hardware for a complete solution. I'm estimating $350-$500. Maybe less if we reuse the DMD and audio hardware. Today, you can develop KISS code on laptop and a special cable. Everything is reversible as I switch back and forth between my code and Stern code all the time. If this is a crowd-sourced community project, we could have KISS code updates for years to come!

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Everything is reversible as I switch back and forth between my code and Stern code all the time.

We could check a DIP switch on startup and only start MPF if it is set. Alternatively, MPF could also stop the Stern game on start and restart it on exit. But i guess we can explore that later. Technically, this will work in any combination.

3 months later
#4 1 year ago

How's this project progressing? Any updates?

#5 1 year ago

Following...

#6 1 year ago

Sorry for lack of updates! I'm been slowly making progress. I'm using Mission Pinball Framework to recode my KISS Pro. Here is a design overview and status.

I'm working on the basic framework of the machine and learning as I go. Here are some design principles that I want to incorporate:

* Simple for a beginner to understand what to do
* Depth of code with lots of interesting modes
* Lots of breadth meaning there are mulitple ways to approach the game
* Something I can share with other KISS owners

Issues to consider:

* LCD or existing DMD?
* Can I use the internal sound system (so far it doesn't look promising)?
* Can I use the callouts and music from the Stern machine - I'm assuming the answer is "no"

What would it take for you to run KISS Remastered?

* KISS Pro currently (I think I would need a KISS Premium)
* Will require a cheap single board PC - I've priced them at around $110
* Might require a separate sound system
* Would require an LCD if I were to go that route... However I'm leaning towards using the existing DMD (Thanks Jan for working on DMD support!)
* Will require a $50 cable
* Will require music (I supply the completed code and you add your songs as WAVs into the game)

So far...

* Nothing is completely working to the level of a production system yet - lots of bugs
* Attract mode and several light shows
* Currently using the laptop for a display
* Several animations (I borrowed from Youtube)
* Several display screens and information to the display
* Path selection system
** Select a path (mode ladder) with 4 modes each ladder
** Total of 16 modes
** All 16 modes are functional but only 4 modes are complete
* Each mode plays a song
** 16 songs already loaded
* Grid completion works but no wizard modes yet
* Instrument collection works
* Pop bumper cap insert collection works
* Started coding the combos and playfield mulitpliers
* Crude Love Gun multiball is working
* Some callouts

Planned:

* KISS Army rank system
** total of 8 ranks like Private, Sargeant, Corporal, etc.
** complete all 8 KISS ARMY targets you will have X seconds to collect the rank award at a light shot
** earn various rank multipliers
* Random Demon Attack modes
* 3 Wizard Modes

KISS Mode Ladder (resized).png

#7 1 year ago

Most of my modes so far are standard Stern modes similar to Deuce and Lick It Up. My goal is to make the modes as fun and interesting as possible. I want to use color LEDs more. Example:

Shots are lit rippling waves of BLUE
Hitting right orbit starts a fire (flickering REDs and ORANGEs) at the right orbit insert
Hit each lit shot right to spread the fire to the left
Fire dwindles down after 10 seconds
You have to keep the fires going by using the bellows by repeatedly hitting the center ramp to stoke the flames
Mode over when the fire spreads from across the major shot inserts

#8 1 year ago

BTW, sorry about the video. Shooting the video is a pain in the ass and slightly dangerous to my KISS machine.

#9 1 year ago

Very interesting . You are a smart cookie . Good luck .

#10 1 year ago

Sounds like a lot of work, following and looking forward to progress

1 week later
#11 1 year ago

Jan at Mission Pinball added some early code for interfacing with the Stern DMD. It's not ready for primetime but I did get it to work with KISS. I've already refactored many of the screens to use a DMD formatted display and they're looking great. One interesting thing I noticed is that my MP4 videos were playing on the simulated DMD and while they were not formatted correctly for the new resolution, they looked amazing!

I've decided to forget about going to a full color, hi-res LCD display - simply because my goal is to make available to other KISS owners someday. So minimal hardware changes is now a primary factor. It would be great if I can get the install down to a single board computer and a two cables - plug and play!

IMG_2814 (resized).JPG

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

Sounds like a lot of work

It's a labor of love.

#13 1 year ago

Watching as well. Good luck!

#14 1 year ago

You rock. I hate my boss's kiss in its current state. Bring on the bad-assery!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, NC
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 50.00
$ 11.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 25.00
$ 18.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Machine - For Sale
Steele, ND
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside