33%
  • Aerosmith 79 votes
    55%
  • Neither 12 votes
    8%
  • I don't know, but I love to vote! 5 votes
    3%

(144 votes)

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Considering buying a recent Stern Pro (second-hand, not NIB) and narrowing my options to these two games.

Were they priced identically, it would be Aerosmith, no doubt, if only for the LCD display.
But AS is currently more expensive - by at least $600, probably $1000 (I have not seen that many Kiss FS in France - initial sales were probably very low). As I am not exactly wealthy, this difference is significant to me.

Opinion on game play? I now have a fair number of games on both, but I do not know about long term lastability.
No comment on music please - I am neither allergic nor fan of these groups.
I know about Kiss unfinished code but I am ready to take the gamble - betting a decent final update will come.

#2 6 years ago

I like AS better, and I'd pick it over KISS every time. I think it's the better of the two. However, they are sort of similar, so it would have to come down to they type of game you like. KISS feels a bit more crowded, but that's just because AS feels a little sparse.

And this sounds dumb, but I like the toy box on AS. I like the ball launcher to get into it. I think it's a better toy than a head spitting balls. They are both gimmicks, but launching into the box gives me a chuckle.

#3 6 years ago

Aerosmith is like a highly improved/remixed KISS. It's just far more fun to shoot Aerosmith, and the rules are better.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Aerosmith is like a highly improved/remixed KISS. It's just far more fun to shoot Aerosmith, and the rules are better.

I’ve owned both and agree with this.

#5 6 years ago

I own Kiss and have played Aerosmith A LOT. I dig both of them musically from their early years (Kiss more though) and from an artwork/toys package they are very close satisfaction-wise for me. I just enjoy playing Kiss more myself. Based on your budget, it seems to me that you would be more satisfied going with Kiss.

#6 6 years ago

I voted neither Met pro owns them both

#7 6 years ago

I vote kiss.

#8 6 years ago

Aerosmith is more fun than Kiss

#9 6 years ago

I own them both and if I had to choose, I would keep KISS... but obviously, to each their own.

#10 6 years ago

Layouts are very similar. AS is fun and has a color screen, but KISS has a deeper ruleset.

AS is kind of a one trick pony with the toy box. There's more going on with KISS to me.

#11 6 years ago

KISS is better. better layout, better rules.

Aero is a better band but who cares really.

#12 6 years ago

Got both.

Prefer KISS for rules, flow and music.

AS is great fun but scoring seems way biased towards Toybox mb.

Need to increase Medley to match it and Elevator mb.

But the LCD is killer on AS and so much better than red dmd.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

But the LCD is killer on AS and so much better than red dmd.

Especially when it comes to KISS. Holy jeez, those are the worst DMD animations of all time. I typically don't are about the display type, but seriously, it's superbad on KISS.

If you're the type of person that moves games often, just know that KISS is a slower sale.

#14 6 years ago

Both are great. I bought Kiss NIB and still love it. The game absolutely gels with my play style.

AS is also a fun, fast game with great art. It was on my shortlist, but ultimately the layout was too similar to Kiss so I picked up RZ.

Can’t go wrong with either.

#15 6 years ago

This is difficult only because I am a "huge" Kiss fan and a "big" Aerosmith fan. I own a Kiss Pro and love it, but played Aerosmith a few times and really liked it. I voted Kiss because Gene paid me to and because I am able to swap out the songs as much as I want. Truthfully, you cannot go wrong either way. One could easily argue the LCD and art give Aerosmith the lead.

#16 6 years ago

Kiss all day long! Such an underrated game, got a bad rap for poor code early. Code has greatly improved and Heavens on fire multiball is so much fun. Still some bugs and polish to go but with Stern stating that there will be another update addressing this buy now before prices go up. This will be a classic!

#17 6 years ago

This one I think is too close to call, Kiss is probable a little cheaper. I would go with whatever music you prefer.

#18 6 years ago

Having had both, on careful reflection, gun to my head, I think I would actually choose Kiss.

#19 6 years ago

Aerosmith hands down.

#20 6 years ago

AEROSMITH.....

#21 6 years ago

aerosmith is the better game. kiss is a good game, but AS has more going on , lcd screen, the toy box, etc.

#22 6 years ago

Both games are similar and good. I’d say buy whichever one that you like the music the best.

#23 6 years ago

The screen is really cool on AS, but I wouldn't personally factor that into it much... after a while all you will care about is which game is more fun to play (KISS).

#24 6 years ago

For big points, Kiss makes you work the whole play field.

Aerosmith makes you work the 6 ball multi.

#25 6 years ago

AS looks better, has better music, and has a better display. The only thing left is gameplay and KISS wins this one by a bit. I would get the KISS first if its cheaper then get AS. AS will go down in price by then because it just doesn't have enough .

#26 6 years ago

Aerosmith is on my list of pins to get. From other people who have owned or own this game is Aerosmith a keeper? Is premium LE or Pro better and for what reason. Please do not factor cost in this reasoning. Just cosmetics and gameplay. Think as if all 3 models cost the exact same. What would you choose?

Thank you

#27 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback - Very useful.

Quoted from smokedog:

Aerosmith makes you work the 6 ball multi.

I played AS in the first round of the European Pinball Championship. I was player #1, playing against a better ranked player. he was hoarding his locks and I had to do the same. Ended the game with 5 balls locked without starting MB
He couldn't start it either... and he won by 100,000 points or less !

This is my worry is AS: is it too centered around ToyBox multiball? Are there alternative strategies score-wise?

#28 6 years ago

At the moment scoring is heavily tilted towards the toy box.

Next code update may change this.

All it needs is more lucrative scoring in elevator and to encourage varied play, some huge jackpots in Medley.

Lets see what he next update brings.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Aerosmith is on my list of pins to get. From other people who have owned or own this game is Aerosmith a keeper? Is premium LE or Pro better and for what reason. Please do not factor cost in this reasoning. Just cosmetics and gameplay. Think as if all 3 models cost the exact same. What would you choose?
Thank you

As is definitely a keeper. I have the Pro model but I’ve heard that all three models are good. The upper playfield on the Premium/LE models look pretty fun and the people who own them seem to like them as well. AS is pretty basic in the rules department but it’s just a blast to play. When I first got mine I was kinda like.....meh it’s ok. The more I played it, the more addicting it became and now I love it. It will never leave my collection I am sure. It’s also the most favorite game in my collection for casual players that come over. They always love AS.

#30 6 years ago

Trust me, Kiss is a dreadful machine. Dull and very boring very quickly. Although Aerosmith is based on it (same loops, shots etc), I love it. More depth to Aerosmith, shoots better, better toys and generally just a hell of a lot more fun. Play them both back to back and you'll have your answer.

#31 6 years ago

I like this thread. I currently own Kiss and have never played AS, but I would love to. Both games have fantastic art packages and I love Gene's head busting thru the playfield on Kiss, but the new LCD screen and the cool toy box feature on AS just can't be beat. Plus, the toy box is more interactive than Gene's head (that's what she said).

Still, I still like playing Kiss. Since I may have to make a decision as you do, I will be following this thread as well. Good luck on your decision.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Good luck on your decision.

Decision that may well be dictated by circumstances! I checked but Kiss FS ads are really rare in France. I suspect very few were sold here. I have seen more AS on the market.

Would make sense to buy Kiss first, then wait until AS loses a bit more value to swap.
However, given a relatively limited offer, I am trigger ready for the first that shows up at a decent price...

Not going the NIB route anyway as I simply cannot afford to lose $1000 by opening a box!

Quoted from Tucks:

Play them both back to back and you'll have your answer.

I actually did last week end - There is no doubt AS better display is a huge plus, but I would not call Kiss dull.
Aerosmith bias towards Toybox multiball needs to be softened. Every single player I watched - including during the semi-finals - focussed on Toybox multiball. On the other hand, I'd love Gene's head to spit balls in a more reliable fashion... Funny how games released many years ago had more accurate / reproducible devices.

#33 6 years ago

I own the LE version of both games. Absolutely love each game, but AS wins by a hair. Who doesn't love a flying ball to load the toybox?

#34 6 years ago

How is the toybox reliability, I have only played AS at a show and the ball missed or bounced out as much as it went in. Is it a better in the home environment or do you have to tune it to regularly to keep it accurate?

#35 6 years ago

Kiss all the way for me; wasn't impressed with Aerosmith, hate that tight right ramp; Kiss is really fun IMO

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

How is the toybox reliability, I have only played AS at a show and the ball missed or bounced out as much as it went in. Is it a better in the home environment or do you have to tune it to regularly to keep it accurate?

I have heard this more than once - the box doesn't even work! The power of the plunger can be adjusted in settings so the ball does not over or undershoot the box. Easy adjustment.

Also sometimes Jacky does purposely get hit in the head after after he asks you whether you would hit a guy with glasses with him wearing glasses on the LCD. Pretty funny!

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Tucks:

Trust me, Kiss is a dreadful machine. Dull and very boring very quickly. Although Aerosmith is based on it (same loops, shots etc), I love it. More depth to Aerosmith, shoots better, better toys and generally just a hell of a lot more fun. Play them both back to back and you'll have your answer.

Funny how opinions differ.

KISS is one of my favorite games ever!

Horses for courses and all that jazz

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I have heard this more than once - the box doesn't even work! The power of the plunger can be adjusted in settings so the ball does not over or undershoot the box. Easy adjustment.
Also sometimes Jacky does purposely get hit in the head after after he asks you whether you would hit a guy with glasses with him wearing glasses on the LCD. Pretty funny!

This is the Stern stuff that I just shake my head at. If you demoing pins at a show would it kill you to make a 30 second adjustment to insure the main toy works. I assumed it was something more complicated and just another one of those things you have to adjust yourself and bend a bracket or something so it's accurate.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

How is the toybox reliability

99% accurate for me with factory settings.

#40 6 years ago

In my opion Kiss is a way better game. There is really no satisfying shots on AS. The toy box 'lock' shot is really weak and is hit by mistake most of the time. Kiss isn't the greatest pin but it shoots and scores much better than AS.

#41 6 years ago

AS is one of Sterns best games IMO. I highly prefer the LE/Premium over the pro, as I feel the playfield on the pro feels too sparse. I think Kiss fairs better on the pro, since your not really losing any major interactive toy.

Some scoring balance is needed on AS, but most people don't really know the rules well enough and are incorrect in their statements. I'll try to mention a few things here:

- The rules aren't really that simple -
---- every mode has 2 phases: before CIU and after CIU
---- every mode has a Super Mode that can be qualified to run after the mode is done (important for big scores)
---- The Super Modes are Super Fun -> once you actually understand what's going on (which most people do not)

- AS isn't easy - medley multiball is very infrequent, and only the very best players have ever reached Final Tour

- The multipliers are awesomely set up, and stack on top of each other well (but better on Premium/LE)
--- Shot Multipliers
--- Toy Box Multiball 2x and 3x multipliers
--- 2x Playfield multiplier (via upper playfield) -> like AC/DC bell
--- IMO I prefer NOT having a 30x multiplier (like GoT or SW), currently 12x is the highest on AS

- Toy Box MB (6 ball) is NOT the end all
--- using 3, or 4 or 5 balls can be the better way to go
--- Example: which is better on AC/DC - stack the MBs and play together, or play each separately???
--- I recently played 12 matches in a big tournament, and won 11 out of 12 games on Aerosmith -> I didn't go for 6 ball MB once.

- Love In An Elevator MB is more balanced (easier to start) on the Premium/LE

- The Lock Shot is totally shootable if you can aim (not backhand), but it's tight. And the bouncing in (by luck) can be strongly influenced by how the player approaches the game.

I would 100% go for an AS Premium, but if you can only afford a Pro and Kiss is $1000 less I would probably pick the Kiss for now and trade up to an AS Premium later.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

No problem on mine, it rarely misses.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Mine works great!

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from adamsebas:

In my opion Kiss is a way better game. There is really no satisfying shots on AS. The toy box 'lock' shot is really weak and is hit by mistake most of the time. Kiss isn't the greatest pin but it shoots and scores much better than AS.

I don’t know man, the left and right orbits are pretty satisfying and that bitch of a right ramp is also. AS is a sweet shooting game I think.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

AS is one of Sterns best games IMO. I highly prefer the LE/Premium over the pro, as I feel the playfield on the pro feels too sparse. I think Kiss fairs better on the pro, since your not really losing any major interactive toy.
Some scoring balance is needed on AS, but most people don't really know the rules well enough and are incorrect in their statements. I'll try to mention a few things here:
- The rules aren't really that simple -
---- every mode has 2 phases: before CIU and after CIU
---- every mode has a Super Mode that can be qualified to run after the mode is done (important for big scores)
---- The Super Modes are Super Fun -> once you actually understand what's going on (which most people do not)
- AS isn't easy - medley multiball is very infrequent, and only the very best players have ever reached Final Tour
- The multipliers are awesomely set up, and stack on top of each other well (but better on Premium/LE)
--- Shot Multipliers
--- Toy Box Multiball 2x and 3x multipliers
--- 2x Playfield multiplier (via upper playfield) -> like AC/DC bell
--- IMO I prefer NOT having a 30x multiplier (like GoT or SW), currently 12x is the highest on AS
- Toy Box MB (6 ball) is NOT the end all
--- using 3, or 4 or 5 balls can be the better way to go
--- Example: which is better on AC/DC - stack the MBs and play together, or play each separately???
--- I recently played 12 matches in a big tournament, and won 11 out of 12 games on Aerosmith -> I didn't go for 6 ball MB once.
- Love In An Elevator MB is more balanced (easier to start) on the Premium/LE
- The Lock Shot is totally shootable if you can aim (not backhand), but it's tight. And the bouncing in (by luck) can be strongly influenced by how the player approaches the game.
I would 100% go for an AS Premium, but if you can only afford a Pro and Kiss is $1000 less I would probably pick the Kiss for now and trade up to an AS Premium later.

I agree most people don't understand the rules!

I have ASLE but didn't realize there was 12x scoring. Guessing it is 3x toy box, then use a 2x specific shot multiplier and then use 2 x upper p/f multiplier?

And how are people getting such huge individual points on super ramps? How is it even possible to get 80m a ramp shot???

And are any other of the Super Modes high scoring?

Thanks

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I agree most people don't understand the rules!
I have ASLE but didn't realize there was 12x scoring. Guessing it is 3x toy box, then use a 2x specific shot multiplier and then use 2 x upper p/f multiplier?
And how are people getting such huge individual points on super ramps? How is it even possible to get 80m a ramp shot???
And are any other of the Super Modes high scoring?
Thanks

I screwed up a little in my last post - I forgot that combos are worth 2x also. So you can get a 24x shot (but it won't happen very often!).

Another aspect of the rules, is you earn coins for how well you do in the modes. You get extra coins for combos, and when playing CIU modes. The more coins you have, the more each shot in the Super Modes are worth. Sooooo, if you have collected a lot of coins and have all your multipliers going and are playing Super Ramps (or other Super Modes) you can get some very high point shots.

The super modes I like best are...
- Super Ramps ---------- Walk this way
- Super Targets --------- Some Old Song And Dance --- must complete the mode to start
- Super Lanes ----------- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Super Scoring --------- Sweet Emotion ----------------- must complete the mode to start

Some Super Modes are ONLY qualified if you complete the mode, others are qualified just for getting to the end of the mode and making a single shot (like WTW).

Another Scoring opportunity that most people don't get
- you CAN stack Super Modes (even though you can not stack modes)

Therefore you can bring in 2 or 3 Super Modes into your well planned Multiball with a couple well placed shot multipliers * the MB multipliers * the playfield multipliers and start combo shooting the high valued Super Shots. Not easy to do, but super exciting if you can.

Finally, most of the super modes have AWESOME lighting and sound effects (and DMD Animations) connected to them. I especially like Super Targets, Super Lanes and Super Scoring. Once you're tuned into these lighting/sound effects you really know when you're racking up the points without even looking at the score!

#47 6 years ago

There's a reason why Stern employees - among them some of the top pinball players in the entire world - have chosen KISS as their game of choice to trade high scores on. It's a great game to play, great game to compete on. The right amount of code, easy to understand, difficult to master, with lots of cool little tricks in the code for getting big scores.

I liked Aero a lot when it came out but it got old fast, there's just not much to it and you get tired of playing that same multiball over and over. The mini wiz mode is a big let down and the main one is impossible to get. I don't know anybody who has beaten Elevator multiball. And Aero LE is another clumsy half-baked premium model with cumbersome "features" crowbarred in to satisfy the big spending crowd. Kiss pro is where it's at.

#48 6 years ago

Unfortunately I agree and I own ASLE.

But a lot can change in future updates - maybe.....

Reading T7 posts, there is a lot more going on but, adjustments need to be made on Medley, Final Tour attainment and Elevator MB.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

...This is my worry is AS: is it too centered around ToyBox multiball?

that's how my son win it at Sars et Rosières, playing in 1st, and getting the 6 balls MB at ball 2... and than the 3 others players have to do the same, and they didnt... game over, simple as that !

i'm also looking/waiting for a KISS, but NOT before final code is available (of course, prob may be price being higher !?)

1 year later
#50 4 years ago

Sorry to bump an old thread, just wondering with the latest code updates in the last year, do people still think the same about the 2 titles?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-pro-or-aerosmith-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.