AS is one of Sterns best games IMO. I highly prefer the LE/Premium over the pro, as I feel the playfield on the pro feels too sparse. I think Kiss fairs better on the pro, since your not really losing any major interactive toy.
Some scoring balance is needed on AS, but most people don't really know the rules well enough and are incorrect in their statements. I'll try to mention a few things here:
- The rules aren't really that simple -
---- every mode has 2 phases: before CIU and after CIU
---- every mode has a Super Mode that can be qualified to run after the mode is done (important for big scores)
---- The Super Modes are Super Fun -> once you actually understand what's going on (which most people do not)
- AS isn't easy - medley multiball is very infrequent, and only the very best players have ever reached Final Tour
- The multipliers are awesomely set up, and stack on top of each other well (but better on Premium/LE)
--- Shot Multipliers
--- Toy Box Multiball 2x and 3x multipliers
--- 2x Playfield multiplier (via upper playfield) -> like AC/DC bell
--- IMO I prefer NOT having a 30x multiplier (like GoT or SW), currently 12x is the highest on AS
- Toy Box MB (6 ball) is NOT the end all
--- using 3, or 4 or 5 balls can be the better way to go
--- Example: which is better on AC/DC - stack the MBs and play together, or play each separately???
--- I recently played 12 matches in a big tournament, and won 11 out of 12 games on Aerosmith -> I didn't go for 6 ball MB once.
- Love In An Elevator MB is more balanced (easier to start) on the Premium/LE
- The Lock Shot is totally shootable if you can aim (not backhand), but it's tight. And the bouncing in (by luck) can be strongly influenced by how the player approaches the game.
I would 100% go for an AS Premium, but if you can only afford a Pro and Kiss is $1000 less I would probably pick the Kiss for now and trade up to an AS Premium later.