KISS Pro (2015) - Thoughts after Playing for 2 Days

By Nuclear_Waste

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Pros
-The artwork is gorgeous. The cabinet graphics are extremely nice!
-The playfield clearcoat appears to be thicker/shinier than recent Sterns. Does Stern have a new process for this?
-The gameplay is great, especially for version 0.92 of the software.
-SPIKE is really cool (this is my first experience with seeing a SPIKE machine's innards). Inside the well-lit backbox, there are easy-to-read indicators that explain almost of the connectors on the SPIKE board.
-The spinning disc under Gene's head provides some WICKED spin!
-The music quality (stereo--it's about time!) is easily the best I've heard on a Stern.
-The LEDs are fantastic. They are fadeable and many of them are able to change color--nice to see on a Pro. Love the color-changing bumpers.
-Stern pre-installed t-nuts for playfield sliders on the end nearest the front. Still need to drill the others, but it's nice that they provided these.
-Really fun! And the code will only make it better. Stern has a hit on their hands. This is going to bring a whole new wave of people to our sport--try to be nice to the noobs!

Cons
-The spinning disc marks up the balls with rubbery scuffs which transfer to the playfield. The scuffs just wipe off, but it's a PITA and makes the playfield look like it's been through 500 games after just 30.
-KISS songs are SHORT! Can't do too much about this, but when you compare this to the long songs on Metallica, things repeat quicker.
-The KISS songs are the 2009 re-recorded versions. This doesn't bug me too much because sonically, they're recorded well. But if you are hankering for the original versions, they aren't there.
-Stern pinballs suck. Trash them and use the Shiny ones from Pinball Life.
-Paul...er, The Starman's face looks goofy as hell on the backglass.
-The shot to get up into the Starchild area is really tight. I might just need better skills.
-There are areas of the playfield (Starchild, upper loop, under Gene's, er...The Demon's head) that are difficult to access for cleaning.
-SPIKE power supply fan noise when idle. Admittedly, not an issue while playing, or in an arcade environment, but it sounds weird in the house.
-No slider rails under the playfield. Not a surprise as this is expected on Stern Pros, but the provided pegs are pretty much useless and greatly increase the possibility of breaking something on the underside of the playfield while sliding it out. I installed some sliders from Pinball Life--all is good, but I wish I didn't have to drill into the bottom of my brand new playfield to install.
-Dangling plug for "Optional Slam Tilt"? Again, this isn't a surprise, but this should be standard issue.
-Playfield wiring is too tight. Want to move wiring around to get to a nut? It's more difficult now than it's ever been. A little more slack would be appreciated.

Unexpected
-The plastic apron feels a little cheesy, but I'm sure it's strong enough. Unexpected benefit: It appears that the plastic provides more rebound than metal, so there are more "Lazarus Balls" that bounce back up into play.

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

The plastic apron feels a little cheesy, but I'm sure it's strong enough. Unexpected benefit: It appears that the plastic provides more rebound than metal, so there are more "Lazarus Balls" that bounce back up into play

It's more than strong enough...they've been used for years. Definitely not an issue in any form other than the free return trajectory balls.

Man, I am just super stoked to get to play one of these tonight or tomorrow..the LED fading is a huge deal for me and I can't wait to see it. I'm really chomping at the bit.

#3 8 years ago

Haven't played one yet. Where is the scoring other than Demon MB?

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's more than strong enough...they've been used for years. Definitely not an issue in any form other than the free return trajectory balls.
Man, I am just super stoked to get to play one of these tonight or tomorrow..the LED fading is a huge deal for me and I can't wait to see it. I'm really chomping at the bit.

Fly up! Play it! Dinners on me!

JJ

#5 8 years ago

Stern pinballs suck. Trash them and use the Shiny ones from Pinball Life.

Clean them with rubbing alcohol and wax them and they will shine just like ones from PBL.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Fly up! Play it! Dinners on me!
JJ

I'm really sorry I missed you at TPF dude, but just something about leaving the venue to go to a sports bar....nahhhhh..

We have one that's been on location 4 miles from my house for the last two days, and will probably be there another two years. I'm just excited to get a better look at a Spike game than the brief peeks I've had at TPF and the WWE launch party. I'm on vacation all next week. Ironically, the one time I'd have the day off and the money in hand to do something crazy like fly to CO on a whim, I'm saving it for.....well....

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from sleethering:

Haven't played one yet. Where is the scoring other than Demon MB?

Right now, it's also in the KISS Combos (inlane to targets), increasing pop-bumpers (right orbit), and activating backstage pass (not sure how to do this) to light super spinners or super ramps.

Collecting lit instruments gets you to extra balls.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Clean them with rubbing alcohol and wax them and they will shine just like ones from PBL.

I think its more than just the polish. Mine from my IM vault would scratch up really easy. Idk if there really is a difference, but it sure seemed like it.

#9 8 years ago

backstage pass lit= complete kiss targets and army targets lights backstage pass.
backstage pass can also give you 2x. ive never seen 3x or colossal bonus ever so far.
you can get good scores from actually playing the "modes" well (each song's lit shots like ac dc).
bonus is big in this game right now as well (like it is in wrestlemania).
collecting instruments also can achieve ace (space man) insert.
you need complete all 4 inserts to get to the kiss army wizard mode. that wizard mode scores big points, adda balls, etc.

right now, i don't even go for demon multiball purposely. i go for love gun mball. its safer and jackpots are just the same as demon mball.

also, when you first plunge the ball the smartest thing to do is shoot the KISS targets to light your virtual kickback (ball saver) left out lane.
after that is lit, then go for the star targets or complete shots with your song you chose.

Right now, it's also in the KISS Combos (inlane to targets), increasing pop-bumpers (right orbit), and activating backstage pass (not sure how to do this) to light super spinners or super ramps.
Collecting lit instruments gets you to extra balls.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-pro-2015-thoughts-after-playing-for-2-days and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.