Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Cherga
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg

#1 7 months ago

Need some help with my Kiss Premium. It won’t boot... from what I’ve found it appears that my SD card may be corrupt. It powers on and displays Stern Pinball on the DMD and the two outer voltage lights are lit (24v and 9v are out) on the CPU. I found a recovery image done by a Pinsider and with it, the game boots to the sw update screen however I’ve gone through a half dozen USB sticks and the update immediately fails. Since it boots with the recovery image I’m assuming it’s the SD card that’s the problem.

Does anyone have a raw hdd backup that they could Dropbox me or any suggestions on how to get the usb update to take?

#2 7 months ago

Stern can send you one

#3 7 months ago

I’ve spoken to Stern twice and they claim they cannot send me one. Deferred me to distributors... contacted three so far and none of them knew what I was talking about and they sent me back to Stern.

#4 7 months ago

Anyone with a Kiss Premium willing to extract their image and share with me? If so, please PM. Thanks!

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Need some help with my Kiss Premium. It won’t boot... from what I’ve found it appears that my SD card may be corrupt. It powers on and displays Stern Pinball on the DMD and the two outer voltage lights are lit (24v and 9v are out) on the CPU. I found a recovery image done by a Pinsider and with it, the game boots to the sw update screen however I’ve gone through a half dozen USB sticks and the update immediately fails. Since it boots with the recovery image I’m assuming it’s the SD card that’s the problem.
Does anyone have a raw hdd backup that they could Dropbox me or any suggestions on how to get the usb update to take?

Does it fail with Error 8 if you try to reflash it from USB?

#6 7 months ago

No, it briefly starts unpacking and stops at number 31 and displays update failed and prompts me to try again.

#7 7 months ago
Quoted from Cherga:

No, it briefly starts unpacking and stops at number 31 and displays update failed and prompts me to try again.

But it doesn't put an error code at the bottom of the screen?

Also, did you try re-downloading the USB update to make sure it isn't corrupted?

#8 7 months ago

I have a bunch of spare SD cards that were accidentally dropped into the Gene head toy at the factory and left there for me to discover lol. They would probably have the original code from the summer of 2015 on them. Would one of those be of any use to you?

#9 7 months ago

I haven’t seen any error codes but will try to take a video tonight and play it back in slo-mo and see if anything shows up.

#10 7 months ago

@shock_me yes, at this point I’ll try anything. Thank you! Would it be possible for you to extract one of the cards to an imgc file using HDD raw copy and upload to my Dropbox or would you rather just send one?

#11 7 months ago
Quoted from Cherga:

@shock_me yes, at this point I’ll try anything. Thank you! Would it be possible for you to extract one of the cards to an imgc file using HDD raw copy and upload to my Dropbox or would you rather just send one?

Never did that before, is the software downloadable and free?

#12 7 months ago

shock_me Yes, it's free and easy. Download from here: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

Lock the SD card by sliding the switch to the lock position
Insert the card into PC and close all the windows that pop up after inserting
Start HDD Raw Copy
Select source by clicking on the SD card drive (4gb) that shows in the menu and select continue
Select target by double clicking on "file" and give it a name like Kiss128 or whatever version it is and hit save
Then hit continue and on the following screen hit start
It will extract the entire image of the SD card to a single file with a .imgc extension
You can then upload to my Dropbox which I'll PM to you

While you're at it, it's probably a good for you to backup your existing image that you have on the machine today. In case this ever happens to you, you'll have a valid, current backup. Just make sure the machine is completely turned off with no lights lit on the CPU before removing the SD card. I'd practice on one of your extra SD cards to ensure you understand the process and then move on to the SD in your machine.

There is some discussion and a video of how to do it in the below thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-kiss-code-vers-128-thoughts/page/5#post-3117797

#13 7 months ago

Ill give it a try and let you know

#14 7 months ago

vireland yes, I downloaded the file a couple different times and on different PC’s, reformatted USBs to FAT32 and re-copies the spk into multiple USBs. Keeps failing with the same error.

#15 7 months ago

Anyone have a copy of the 1.04 Premium code update they could send me?

#16 7 months ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Anyone have a copy of the 1.04 Premium code update they could send me?

1.05, which is only a topper activation that came about 3 weeks after 1.04, is here:
http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/KISS_LE-1_05.spk

1.01-1.04 is not on the site anymore, unfortunately.

#17 7 months ago

Thanks. As I’ve continued troubleshooting I began thinking that perhaps the previous owner didn’t do incremental updates and maybe this machine needs that. Probably a stretch but trying everything I can think of.

When I try to reload 1.28 or 1.30 unpacking starts counting up and fails at “31” with no error however 1.05 fails at “4744”. Makes no sense to me.

#18 7 months ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Thanks. As I’ve continued troubleshooting I began thinking that perhaps the previous owner didn’t do incremental updates and maybe this machine needs that. Probably a stretch but trying everything I can think of.
When I try to reload 1.28 or 1.30 unpacking starts counting up and fails at “31” with no error however 1.05 fails at “4744”. Makes no sense to me.

You don't need to do incremental updates to my knowledge.

Sounds like your CPU board may have taken a dump. Did you check the power output from the switching power supply to make sure it was right around 48v?

#19 7 months ago

Yes, checked voltages, connections, everything looks fine. The machine works fine too, just can’t update from USB... now up to 10 different flash drives, 3 different file downloads on 3 different PC’s.

#20 7 months ago

When I spoke to Chas at Stern support a while ago regarding the SD he told me that you do not need to backup up the SD card, that you can insert a new formatted card and the USB update will flash the SD. This is what he told me.

I wanted to test my CPU in another machine and was worried about the SD card. I never did try it though.

#21 7 months ago
Quoted from Cherga:

It should take the latest sw, if it's not then it looks like it maybe the game that has an issue. Do you have another stern you can swap boards with?

3 weeks later
#22 6 months ago

same issue on mine i guess

image (resized).jpg
#23 6 months ago

Check the Voltage on the Watch Battery

The Real time clock runs on the battery so if its dead it pisses off the cpu board

JJ

#24 6 months ago

My issue turned out to be a corrupt SD card. Certain support staff at Stern were absolutely useless and as has been the trend, made me feel like I was bothering them in my request for support. Fortunately, Chas answered one of my calls and provided me some useful info. I managed to obtain a raw image of the SD card from another Pinsider and I copied to another SD card and the machine came up and is working fine. Further troubleshooting revealed my CPU is defective and won’t take updates. Since we’re getting close to a final update for Kiss, I’m not going to bother getting it replaced.

pinballer31520 if you need a copy of the premium image for 1.30, I’m happy to upload to a Dropbox for you. You can also search for a thread regarding “Stern base image” and follow the instructions if your machine will take an update from USB.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 11.95
$ 21.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 399.95
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 35.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 11.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside