• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5856 (resized).jpg
IMG_5855 (resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Wondered if anyone else has had this problem. I just got my Kiss Premium and all is working great except for when I lock the 2nd ball (it says and shows "ball 2 locked on the dmd")in the demon head, it doesnt kick out the next ball in the trough. It just stays in the current dmd animation and eventually goes into ball search 3 times and then kicks the two balls out of the mouth. It does however kick out a ball into the ball trough after the 1st ball is locked. I checked the three optos in the ball lock trough in the demon head and they all test fine. Any ideas what to check next? My next call will be to Chaz at Stern to see if we can figure it out. Thx for any and all replies. Chris

#2 8 years ago

Evening Bump

#3 8 years ago

Make sure you have the correct amount of balls in the game.
With all balls in the trough go into switch test and make sure all trough switches are functioning.
Play the game until you get 2 in the demon and go into switch test again and make sure all switches are functioning in trough and demon.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

Make sure you have the correct amount of balls in the game.
With all balls in the trough go into switch test and make sure all trough switches are functioning.
Play the game until you get 2 in the demon and go into switch test again and make sure all switches are functioning in trough and demon.

First thing I would check also - ball count

#5 8 years ago

Can you hear the VUK in the head while your waiting for the game to kick another ball in play. The demon head is a pain in the ass the dial in. Most of the time its the strength on the VUK is set to high and the ball is basically bouncing back down into the VUK.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Can you hear the VUK in the head while your waiting for the game to kick another ball in play. The demon head is a pain in the ass the dial in. Most of the time its the strength on the VUK is set to high and the ball is basically bouncing back down into the VUK.

Had to adjust my power setting. I had this issue as well, works fine now

#7 8 years ago

All - thank you for the replies - I think I have it narrowed down to the 2nd opto in the demon head - it is working but the beam isnt being broken by the ball or something isnt quite aligned. It triggers the ball launch when I have the 2nd opto removed and I trigger breaking the beam - all works right then - so either the ramp inside isnt lifting enough to have the 2nd ball break the beam or something goofy is going on yet. Thx for the help. Also the tip on adjusting the VUK power helped too Thx everyone - back to tinkering with this thing to get it right Chris

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from fliperz:

Had to adjust my power setting. I had this issue as well, works fine now

\

Correct. After a couple thousand games you will have to dial it in again. Its a PITA.

#9 8 years ago

When you say adjust power setting - what does that mean?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

When you say adjust power setting - what does that mean?

go into your KISS sub menu and adjust the power setting using the red volume buttons.

#11 8 years ago

You can adjust the power of the VUK coil that kicks the ball into the head lock. I wish you can adjust the kickout coil. It would help with the SDTM issue.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

You can adjust the power of the VUK coil that kicks the ball into the head lock. I wish you can adjust the kickout coil. It would help with the SDTM issue.

You can. I'll have to look later but I adjusted mine and the adjustment is opposite what it is labeled in the Stern menu. Something like Demon lock power (instead of what you would think "Demon eject power"). I dropped mine and the ball just barely pops out of Genes mouth. Cut the SDTMs by 90%.

EDIT: just checked and the setting I changed is called "Demon Lockup Power" I set it to 22. Factory setting is 32. When set at factory, I got STDM almost every single time. The other setting is called "Demon Eject Power". The factory setting is 32 and that is what I have mine set to.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

You can. I'll have to look later but I adjusted mine and the adjustment is opposite what it is labeled in the Stern menu. Something like Demon lock power (instead of what you would think "Demon eject power"). I dropped mine and the ball just barely pops out of Genes mouth. Cut the SDTMs by 90%.
EDIT: just checked and the setting I changed is called "Demon Lockup Power" I set it to 22. Factory setting is 32. When set at factory, I got STDM almost every single time. The other setting is called "Demon Eject Power". The factory setting is 32 and that is what I have mine set to.

EDIT2:
Just FYI, these setting are in the adjustments menu, then go into "Kiss" sub-menu

5 months later
#14 7 years ago

I'm running into this exact issue, but with the ball lock one switch. Adjusting the power on the VUK doesn't seem to make it 100% reliable. Any other ideas before I take the head mech off of the game?

1 year later
#15 6 years ago

Resurrecting because this VUK mech is a pain in the ass to dial in. Sent Stern an email with no response.

I guess they know it sucks, just like the hyper loop in Star Wars.

This is why I'm done with new Sterns. They can't make mechs that work. People should be fired over this crap.

IMG_5855 (resized).JPGIMG_5855 (resized).JPG
IMG_5856 (resized).jpgIMG_5856 (resized).jpg

7 months later
#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Resurrecting because this VUK mech is a pain in the ass to dial in. Sent Stern an email with no response.

Did you ever get a response back? I can't get mine 100 %, if I have 2 balls in Demon and start love gun The ball keeps falling into the VUK, I have adjusted the strength in the menu and still can't get it to work right. After 3 attempts it stops trying and it takes 3 cycles to ball search before it will kick all balls from demon head.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

Did you ever get a response back? I can't get mine 100 %, if I have 2 balls in Demon and start love gun The ball keeps falling into the VUK, I have adjusted the strength in the menu and still can't get it to work right. After 3 attempts it stops trying and it takes 3 cycles to ball search before it will kick all balls from demon head.

Well, yes and no. Mostly yes though.

I read something about the VUK "learning" behavior over time. Mine seems to decide, after 30 plays or so, to stop locking balls in the VUK, but does count them toward Demon MB. It "locks, counts, and ejects" each ball immediately after the lock. So balls don't stay locked, they are ejected. But locks properly count. They device doesn't malfunction so to speak, but it also doesn't lock 3 balls.

This could be due to a bad opto 2 in the demon head. I have a new one to put in, but since the game plays 100%, I didn't install it yet.

#18 5 years ago

Thanks for the response Guinness!

5 months later
#19 5 years ago

I’m also having heaps of trouble with my LE demons head lock, it’s grabbing and locking balls when it shouldn’t and then I have to wait till the machine does a ball search and activates all the coils and spits the ball back into play.
It’s frustrating me to the point of contemplating selling the machine

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Robert1966:

I’m also having heaps of trouble with my LE demons head lock, it’s grabbing and locking balls when it shouldn’t and then I have to wait till the machine does a ball search and activates all the coils and spits the ball back into play.
It’s frustrating me to the point of contemplating selling the machine

Sounds like the first opto is not regersting. Check for loose connection and make sure a wire didn't work loose. Then I would replace that opto, I also went to the virtual locks with the new code. This probably won't help you now as your machine doesn't realize there's a ball in he Demon that's why it goes into ball search.

https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/electronics/stern-opto-receiver-board-for-spike-systems-515-0215-01/ and you need the transmitter pending which one is flaky. 515-0215-02

3 months later
#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

Sounds like the first opto is not regersting. Check for loose connection and make sure a wire didn't work loose. Then I would replace that opto, I also went to the virtual locks with the new code. This probably won't help you now as your machine doesn't realize there's a ball in he Demon that's why it goes into ball search.
https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/electronics/stern-opto-receiver-board-for-spike-systems-515-0215-01/ and you need the transmitter pending which one is flaky. 515-0215-02</blockquote

https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/electronics/stern-opto-receiver-board-for-spike-systems-515-0215-01/ and you need the transmitter pending which one is flaky. 515-0215-02

Sorry for the late response and thanks for the advice

1 year later
#22 3 years ago

I have a Kiss Le
Recent issues are now when I lock a ball into Demon, it counts as a ball lock as it should
But instead of staying locked, it shoots back out of his mouth and into play
Any thoughts as to why the ball isn’t staying locked
Normal play is for 3 balls to stay locked in until Demon multiball begins
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawks:

I have a Kiss Le
Recent issues are now when I lock a ball into Demon, it counts as a ball lock as it should
But instead of staying locked, it shoots back out of his mouth and into play
Any thoughts as to why the ball isn’t staying locked
Normal play is for 3 balls to stay locked in until Demon multiball begins
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hey Hawks, the fix for this in my case was reseating CN5 on Node 11.
Worth a try!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-premium-ball-lock-problem-demon-head?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.