You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9616.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-08-08_at_3.03.42_PM.png
IMG_3867.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Pin arrived in excellent condition (didn't notice any of the issues I've read about on Pinside). Powered up and seems to be playing 100%. Very happy with the build quality...it's my first "Spike" system. My last NIB Stern was Metallica.

Since the rules/dots are early, I'm not going to comment on them. I've played a dozen or so games and I have no clue what the objectives are. That said, here are some quick/random thoughts on things that won't be changing...

- The back box LED lighting coming from the CPU board is very bright and creates a lot of glare. I like to play in the dark, so glare is an issue for me. The software has a setting to dim the BB lights but didn't seem to do much (I set it from 100%->50% and didn't get much relief). Since the software is early, maybe the setting still needs to be implemented? Would love a "Dim on Start" setting that would dim the LED's when starting a new game.

- I was surprised they omitted GI spots in the front of the PF (typically located on the slings). More of an issue for playing in the dark. All my other Sterns have GI spots, so it was something I immediately noticed.

- In general, very happy with the art package. The metal apron with illumination looks great. The only real disappointment wrt art is the back panel is really stark/boring. Especially when sitting next to AC/DC Premium

- Minor nit/weirdness: My labeled PF inserts are all prefixed with "The " (The Starchild, The Spaceman, The Demon, The Catman). I thought this looked cramped/silly. When I googled Stern KISS PF, I find photos with the "The " prefix removed, which is how I thought it should have been labeled (see attached photo). Wonder why they decided to add the prefix? Do other folks have the prefix?

- The "K" target is an extremely tight/hard shot. "I" is tight but possible. "K" seems almost impossible to make. In my 12 games, was usually hit indirectly from bouncing off the right sling.

- The star child arena is a cool/tight shot. Made it many times, but nothing very interesting ever happened (e.g. never activated the Starchild pinball levitation). Guess that's because I never achieved Love Gun MB. The target in front of the arena had odd behavior. Hopefully the software will make this target/area more interesting...at the moment, it's not very fun.

- The huge amount of space dedicated to Gene seems under utilized. Most of the time the spinning disk simply dribbled out the ball. I didn't have problems with center drains. Every once in a while a ball would shoot out of Gene's mouth...definitely more fun than the dribble. The right lock is a tough shot and can't easily be made from the right flipper. I know some folks have complained about Gene's paint job...didn't offend me

- The pops, ramps and orbits all feel great. Flippers felt fine, but not exceptional when compared with my other pins.

- The simplicity of the Spike system is impressive. The number of components/connectors/etc. are down considerably.

- The Spike power supply has a very noisy fan that comes on fairly frequently.

- Overall, audio sounds good. Don't know if it's the samples, Spike, or both. No upgrade to the back box speakers...they are still very lame $2 buck speakers from China...upgrading them should payoff with Spike's improved audio.

- Stern moved the location of the on/off to the bottom of the back box. If your lineup is tightly packed and you are less than 5'9" tall, chances are you won't be able to reach it. I think it was a poor decision to move it. My workaround is to simply add 6" of space between KISS and the pin to the right of it. This allows me to squeeze in-between to reach. If I end up adding more Spike pins over time, might need a more scalable solution.

Assuming the rules come together and the two main attractions (Starchild and Gene) can be improved with software tweaks, the game could be great. At the moment, it's definitely mediocre...but I'm familiar with "the drill" (of waiting for the software to mature). Another thing that makes the game "flat" is lack of combo shots...hopefully the software will add some.

I have the pitch set @ 7 and the right outlane was brutal. Will likely move it down one peg and see if it's less frustrating.

That's it for now...

IMG_3867.jpgIMG_3867.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-08-08_at_3.03.42_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-08_at_3.03.42_PM.png

#2 8 years ago

Well done, may consider a Prem once they land, great set up, any pics of the back row

#3 8 years ago

That's a hell of a lineup

#4 8 years ago

I would play it some more if I were you. Rules are amazingly solid for a stern launch code. Modes are all implemented and scoring nicely. Mormon and love gun muktiball both fleshed out. Mini wizard(kiss army) and wizard mode are there!

Game is far from mediocre right now.

#5 8 years ago

Also watch the spinning disc. Soon you'll start getting some serious curve balls out of there.

-Jim

#6 8 years ago

I have my backbox lighting set on 33% makes a huge difference play more the code is great for a new Stern

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I would play it some more if I were you. Rules are amazingly solid for a stern launch code. Modes are all implemented and scoring nicely. Mormon and love gun muktiball both fleshed out. Mini wizard(kiss army) and wizard mode are there!

Will definitely be playing it more! Again, these were "first impressions" after 12 games or so. fwiw, I hated TRON initially and now it's one of my all time favorites.

My games have been pretty short so far, so I haven't been able to explore much. Did you move any of the posts? Curious.

#8 8 years ago

Congrats on a beautiful machine. FYI, make sure you remount wiring behind play field back panel so it does not go through your magnet motor belt. This will save you major issues in future.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Congrats on a beautiful machine. FYI, make sure you remount wiring behind play field back panel so it does not go through your magnet motor belt. This will save you major issues in future.

Have you contacted Stern so they can make the change on future machines?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

My wiring was perfect. I think the wiring problem may not be pervasive.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Have you contacted Stern so they can make the change on future machines?

JJ from game exchange, a Stern distributor, said he was talking to heads of Stern about the issue.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

- The back box LED lighting coming from the CPU board is very bright and creates a lot of glare. I like to play in the dark, so glare is an issue for me. The software has a setting to dim the BB lights but didn't seem to do much (I set it from 100%->50% and didn't get much relief). Since the software is early, maybe the setting still needs to be implemented? Would love a "Dim on Start" setting that would dim the LED's when starting a new game.

I lowered the backbox brightness to 10%, and it's just about perfect for no glare off the glass if you're playing in the dark (while still keeping the backbox artwork illuminated). Make sure you're adjusting the correct setting. It's under: Standard Adjustments > #65 > Backbox Brightness.

Quoted from snaroff:

The right lock is a tough shot and can't easily be made from the right flipper.

If you're able to trap the ball at rest on the right flipper, you can easily backhand the lock shot. But yeah, hitting it on the fly from the right flipper is a bit trickier.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

I lowered the backbox brightness to 10%, and it's just about perfect for no glare off the glass if you're playing in the dark (while still keeping the backbox artwork illuminated). Make sure you're adjusting the correct setting. It's under: Standard Adjustments > #65 > Backbox Brightness.

If you're able to trap the ball at rest on the right flipper, you can easily backhand the lock shot. But yeah, hitting it on the fly from the right flipper is a bit trickier.

Thanks for the tip on the BB brightness!

Hey, are you able to hit the "K" in KISS? Seems like a near impossible shot to make?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Thanks for the tip on the BB brightness!
Hey, are you able to hit the "K" in KISS? Seems like a near impossible shot to make?

Yeah, hitting that son-of-a-bitch "K" drop target seems impossible. Aiming for it, I either hit the top of the left slingshot, or I'll end up hitting every other letter except for the "K". Usually some wild ball randomness from the slingshots will eventually knock that bastard "K" down.

Quoted from snaroff:

- Minor nit/weirdness: My labeled PF inserts are all prefixed with "The " (The Starchild, The Spaceman, The Demon, The Catman). I thought this looked cramped/silly. When I googled Stern KISS PF, I find photos with the "The " prefix removed, which is how I thought it should have been labeled (see attached photo). Wonder why they decided to add the prefix? Do other folks have the prefix?

My playfield has the "The" on the inserts as well. Must have been something that got changed right before playfields went into production.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Will definitely be playing it more! Again, these were "first impressions" after 12 games or so. fwiw, I hated TRON initially and now it's one of my all time favorites.
My games have been pretty short so far, so I haven't been able to explore much. Did you move any of the posts? Curious.

Posts all stock placement of wide open. Game feels fair as is.

#16 8 years ago

Modes are all implemented and scoring nicely. Mormon and love gun muktiball both fleshed out.

I can't wait to play MORMON multiball!! "Knock knock! There's someone at the door! MULLLTIBALLLLLLL!!"

I played KISS pro for the first time yesterday. While I didn't get to MORMON i did get Demon and lovegun multiballs going. Seemed like a cool game, even on the early code. Nice orbit shots and no problem to hit the ramps. Backhanding Gene was no problem. Starchild is tight but easy enough. I'd buy one ... If they weren't $9000 NZ bucks.

rd

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Well done, may consider a Prem once they land, great set up, any pics of the back row

Thanks! Not a great shot given the proximity to the wall, nevertheless...Paragon/WH20/AFM/TOTAN/TZ/STTNG/GNR.

One side largely Sterns (with Centaur), one side largely B/W (with Paragon, GNR).

Recently let RFM and MB go. My Fathom is having fun @ Aurich's place...

Highly recommend KISS Premium...good luck if you decide to move forward.

IMG_9616.jpgIMG_9616.jpg

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

10% works great! Was surprised to see a setting for diming the BB LED's when the coin door is open (actually set to 10% out of the box). Odd. Would love to see this repurposed for "Dimming during gameplay" In any event, works great for now!

#19 8 years ago

Anyone doing powder coated armor on their premium yet?

#20 8 years ago

Just played my 70th game...you were right, the game is far from mediocre! After doing a final level @ 7 and moving the right outlane peg down one, it's starting to shine!

Shooting the right orbit with the right flipper and left orbit with the left flipper is a lot of fun! Demon disk/spinner seems like it's loosening up and throwing the ball around pretty fast/randomly. Haven't mastered the Star Child shot, but it's also more fun than I initially thought. Pin seems to have a nice balance of flow, feel good shots, and tough shots.

The SPIKE audio is a huge improvement...wish my MET and AC/DC sounded like KISS (and they both have speaker upgrades). Definite proof that you can get away with cheap speakers if the source/samples are high quality.

Some of mechs occasionally misbehave (ball lock, demon post, star child levitation), however I'm hopeful software tweaks will fix these issues. KISS is definitely exceeding my expectations. I know a game has promise when I'm yelling at it...

#21 8 years ago

Is Your Metallica a Premium? Better than Metallica?

Since I'll be going to my condo in Santa Monica soon and playing golf in Pasadena I could stop by and help You level Your games

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Is Your Metallica a Premium? Better than Metallica?
Since I'll be going to my condo in Santa Monica soon and playing golf in Pasadena I could stop by and help You level Your games

I have a MET pro...fairly stock. The KISS layout is more interesting. For alpha/beta software, it seems more fun than MET initially. KISS audio much better. In terms of "richness" (i.e. what's included in the BOM), I think KISS Premium is in the middle of MET Pro and AC/DC Premium. As Premiums go, I think AC/DC was pretty packed with goodies.

Looks like KISS is going to be winner...fast, fun, & loud!

Well the pins are all leveled, but you need to visit. Would love to take you out for dinner and play some pinball!

#23 8 years ago

Congrats on your new game. You could host a tourney on the band games

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I have a MET pro...fairly stock. The KISS layout is more interesting. For alpha/beta software, it seems more fun than MET initially. KISS audio much better. In terms of "richness" (i.e. what's included in the BOM), I think KISS Premium is in the middle of MET Pro and AC/DC Premium. As Premiums go, I think AC/DC was pretty packed with goodies.
Looks like KISS is going to be winner...fast, fun, & loud!
Well the pins are all leveled, but you need to visit. Would love to take you out for dinner and play some pinball!

Not sure when I'm going but dinner and pins great! Switching to PM

#25 8 years ago

Thanks for the review! I'm getting more excited every day! Gonna be hard to wait another few weeks.

#26 8 years ago

Great review. Amazing row of pins too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-premium-arrived-yesterday-quick-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.