You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

198260-i.jpg
power board 3.jpg
power board 2.jpg
power board 1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DrMark12PA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

UGGHH.. so it seems like I've been stamping out one fire and have another!
Today, I turned my KISS on and the playfield lights don't work (GI lights all work) but no inserts. The game plays just fine and the score displays register scoring. It's like playing with any playfield lights registering.
I have the Alltek Ultimate lamp driver board installed to run LEDs but the manual is of no help. I can't remember if this Ultimate lamp driver board has an LED on it that lights indicating power either but I don't see any lights on it now.

Ironically, I have the Alltek MPU and solenoid driver board en route via Cointaker so will have brand new parts there.
Any ideas in the meantime???

#4 9 years ago

I have continuity at all of the fuses on the power board (that was also updated I forgot to mention about 5 years ago) as well as all of the other fuses in the game.
I just realized that once again my C target, outside S rollover, center rollover, and bottom bumper don't work again now. This has been an intermittent problem that I believe to be coming from the MPU board and one of the chips... hence, the new MPU board on the order.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Don't be surprised if the new MPU doesn't fix the problem. You most likely have a bad connector at J2.

Do you mean the J2 connector at the MPU board?

#9 9 years ago

You are 100% correct on the J2 causing problems with the rollovers and the bottom bumper and the C target. While the game was "playing" I jiggled J2 and all of those parts worked once again! So looks like I'll be fixing the connectors... Recommendations for where to purchase, what to purchase, what tools, and tips on how? The J2 on KISS is a 15 pin plug.

So with some more wire jiggling, it would appear that one of the wires coming out of power supply board (which was replaced like 8 years ago) is the culprit in causing the playfield insert lights not to work. However, checking the solder on the back doesn't reveal any loose wire. I've included 3 pictures of the board and wiring. I'm not even sure which wire powers the playfield inserts.
power board 1.jpgpower board 1.jpgpower board 2.jpgpower board 2.jpgpower board 3.jpgpower board 3.jpg

#12 9 years ago

Why/how/where do the connectors go bad? I know the wiring feels stiff to me (like an old garden hose) but it's funny how visibly everything looks ok yet the connection is obviously bad.
I know Marco carries the following set but it would appear that just buying the necessary pieces (and not get killed on Marco shipping) would be better option.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKBLY-MPU

Any ideas on why the power board is being a bit fickle? The insert lights are now working but I don't want there to be a loose connection.

#13 9 years ago

What role/part does the keying plug Keying plug 15-04-9209 play in the rebuild? Do I need an equal number of these compared to the number of pins I'm ordering?
Also, does it make a difference on the plug as the LR plugs are the "cheaper" version. The only have the 28 pin version in the higher quality version. It looks like I need a 15 pin, 16 pin, 19 pin, and 28 pin based on the 4 MPU connectors. (Marco Specialties lists it as a 20 pin instead of 19 but counting shows 19 to be correct)
so far this is what I have..

Details Name Unit Price QTY Total
1 CP100-15-LR Connector, 0.1" Plug, 15 Pin $0.37 $0.37

1 CP100-16-LR Connector, 0.1" Plug, 16 Pin $0.40 $0.40

1 CP100-19-LR Connector, 0.1" Plug, 19 Pin $0.47 $0.47

1 22-01-2287 Connector, 0.1" Plug, 28 Pin $1.50 $1.50

100 08-52-0123 Crimp Contact, 0.1" $0.10 $10.00

1 1028-CT Crimper tool, General Purpose $27.50 $27.50

***1 15-04-9209 Keying Plug, 0.1" $0.12 $0.12 *** HOW MANY OF THESE IF KEYING ALL 4 CONNECTORS?**

#16 9 years ago

Since I have the Ultimate lamp driver board and have the Ultimate MPU and solenoid boards on the way, I shouldn't at least have to worry about the connections on the board itself, only the plugs that connect to the wires... I'll be ordering all new pins and connectors at this point just to get those solid and updated!
Thanks a lot for the help!

#18 9 years ago

I just replaced the J2 molex connector to the MPU board (oh yes that's the Ulimate board now too), brand new connectors.... so the rollover lanes now work but I've lost:
A,B,D,D targets
Lower right S
the I target
Right lower sling and I believe all of the other slings
Right outer outlane
Left inner outlane

EDIT
Just went through pin by pin (13 total of the 15 pin connector as 2 are not used). Everything is working now!
I snipped each one off and redid them. I have a small map now of the pins at least..
2 - letter A,B,C,D stand up targets
5 - bumpers, left lower sling
10 - letter I, drop targets, right lower sling, left inner outlane

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DrMark12PA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-playfield-lights-out?tu=DrMark12PA and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.