20171126_122950[1] (resized).jpg
Kiss_MPU_R20.jpg
1511476872252 (resized).jpg
1511476948459 (resized).jpg
1511476814709 (resized).jpg
1511442275716 (resized).jpg
20171120_201254[1] (resized).jpg
20171120_200219[1] (resized).jpg
There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 7 years ago

It's the right part number according to the Kiss manual (AR-26-1200) so should be right. The sleeve looks too long on the back but you can cut it to the same length as the old sleeve.

#102 7 years ago

Just wondering how much you paid for the game? I have restored a Kiss machine, new play field, new plastics, LEDs and i got a spare backglass thats never been used. Cabinet looks good. Just trying to get an idea on what to charge. I am a huge kiss fan so I am having hard time letting it go, but problems like the one you are having scare the crap out of me.
Good luck with the new machine, its a piece of artwork for sure! Hopefully the repair will not cost too much.

#103 7 years ago

Yes, that's it. Proper sleeve too.

#104 7 years ago

Tried to Ohm it but my measurements were jumping all over the board and wouldn't stop. This is my diode reading with black lead on banded side. No reading with them flipped.

20170227_174934 (resized).jpg20170227_174934 (resized).jpg

#106 7 years ago

The diode is probably ok. Looks like the previous owner cut the knocker wire for reasons other than a malfunction.
You have a nice looking machine, and the winding at the coil lug is now broken so give it some love and install a new coil
Remember green wires connect to the coil lug where the banded side of the diode is connected.

In terms of the humming noise, give this a try:
There are two screws holding the sound board to the metal back plane. Remove those two screws and slightly pull the sound board towards yourself enough so the board doesn't touch the metal frame behind it at the screw points. If the level of hum goes down, just install some fibre washers to insulate the sound board from the metal backplane. I've done this on my machine and have seen others do it too with this Bally sound board for this same reason. Otherwise you might need to change the filter capacitors on the sound board.

#107 7 years ago

My Lamp Board came today and I hooked it up. BAM! Everything is working great aside from the KISS logo (and of course the Knocker Coil). Coil comes tomorrow so we will hook that up. Also, I loosened the screws on the sound board and the humming almost stopped. You can barely hear it. I will get those washers. Quench, you are amazing!
As for the Auxiliary Lamp Board, the third letter (1st S) is not lighting (bulbs are good). And the other three stay lit continuously in Attract Mode. Is there any way I can test that board before buying a new one?

#108 7 years ago

There are 3 chips on the aux lamp driver. I believe they are clocks that cycle the letters. If one of those is bad it wont work. I ended up not repairing mine and just buying a new board, i think they were 55 dollars

#109 7 years ago

Wiggle the J1 connector on the Aux lamp board. If lamps start working properly, remove the aux lamp board, check the soldering on that J1 pin header and if you see cracks, resolder them. If there's no solder cracks, then change the terminals in the J1 cable connector.

If there's no change, then put the game in lamp test mode and if the lamps in "KI-S" are still stuck on, your Aux lamp board probably has similar problems like your main lamp board had. Do any of the chips on that Aux lamp board get hot?
If you want to try and diagnose the chips like we did with the main lamp board let us know and post a clear picture of your Aux lamp board.

#110 7 years ago

U1 was rather hot and looks a little burnt on the left side. The other two were room temp.

20170301_190807 (resized).jpg20170301_190807 (resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Torso718:

U1 was rather hot and looks a little burnt on the left side. The other two were room temp.

Pull that board and lets see the other side. Good news is those chips are socketed!

Did you ever contact your seller and give him the WTF??

#112 7 years ago

20170301_204018 (resized).jpg20170301_204018 (resized).jpg

#113 7 years ago

Ouch! bottom right of the board next to the screw hole experienced a short at some point...

#114 7 years ago

yeah, that trace is open and some bad solders too.

Probably time to replace that board.

#115 7 years ago

Can you post a picture of the area in the head where you removed the board from? Curious why the short is there.

#116 7 years ago

Yeah, U1 is toasty, it's 100% gone.

#117 7 years ago

I see a burn mark on the bracket from the board.

20170301_211213 (resized).jpg20170301_211213 (resized).jpg

#118 7 years ago

The trace where you have the burn spot is actually connected to ground so if it touched the metal frame, nothing should have happened.

Can you post clear pictures of the two cable connectors that plug onto this board so we can see if someone has incorrectly wired it at some point?

#119 7 years ago

Just buy a new one at this point $45

http://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

#120 7 years ago

20170301_213905 (resized).jpg20170301_213905 (resized).jpg

#121 7 years ago

20170301_213939 (resized).jpg20170301_213939 (resized).jpg

#122 7 years ago

Wire colors look ok.
You can either replace the board or repair it.
The trace where that burn mark is goes to pins 8 and 9 of connector J2 and your cable pictures and the schematic show no wires are connected to those points on the connector. So you don't even need to repair that burnt trace other than cleaning up the black residue.

#123 7 years ago

My coil came today. Still waiting on the Aux. board. When a free game registers the coil triggers with no problem. The only thing is that it is not very loud at all. Could it be that the sleeve is too long?
This game is playing really well aside from the fact that the right flipper is a little higher than the left and it has been acting weak. One time it caused me to lose my ball. Any suggestions as to what I can do with it and the knocker coil?
Thanks in advance.

#124 7 years ago

Post clear pictures of the newly installed knocker and both flipper mechanisms under the playfield.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Torso718:

My coil came today. Still waiting on the Aux. board. When a free game registers the coil triggers with no problem. The only thing is that it is not very loud at all. Could it be that the sleeve is too long?
This game is playing really well aside from the fact that the right flipper is a little higher than the left and it has been acting weak. One time it caused me to lose my ball. Any suggestions as to what I can do with it and the knocker coil?
Thanks in advance.

You mind sharing what you paid for this machine?

#126 7 years ago

Green wires are on the banded side of the diode.

20170303_211508 (resized).jpg20170303_211508 (resized).jpg

#127 7 years ago

That sleeve needs to be trimmed to the same length as in your original photos in post #44. Then you will hear some knocking!

#128 7 years ago

Right flipper

20170303_212601 (resized).jpg20170303_212601 (resized).jpg

#129 7 years ago

20170303_212653 (resized).jpg20170303_212653 (resized).jpg

#130 7 years ago

20170303_212749 (resized).jpg20170303_212749 (resized).jpg

#131 7 years ago

20170303_212836 (resized).jpg20170303_212836 (resized).jpg

#132 7 years ago

I could be wrong but those look a lot like slingshot mechanisms.

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

You mind sharing what you paid for this machine?

I paid $3100

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I could be wrong but those look a lot like slingshot mechanisms.

Crap! You're right. I'll get the other.

#135 7 years ago

Right flipper

20170303_214545 (resized).jpg20170303_214545 (resized).jpg

#136 7 years ago

20170303_214527 (resized).jpg20170303_214527 (resized).jpg

#137 7 years ago

20170303_214504 (resized).jpg20170303_214504 (resized).jpg

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

That sleeve needs to be trimmed to the same length as in your original photos in post #44. Then you will hear some knocking!

Exactly

#139 7 years ago

Ok, you didn't get killed, BUT you did not get a fully rebuilt/working machine as the seller made it seem like you were getting. Looks like partial rebuild kits were installed on those flippers. Switches were not touched.

Some horrendous solder work too.

#140 7 years ago

Yeah- solder work is extremely bad. I was looking and the contact point for the EOS. (End of stroke switch) on the flipper looks super corroded. That is where the lions share of your flipper power is coming from in terms of current through the coil. It could be that its so corroded that the flipper is weak. Do you have a file appropriate for that switch? I would polish that up and see if its better.

#141 7 years ago

I do not have a file for it. And how can I bring the right flipper down just a tad? It's a pinch higher than the other and I can't seem to catch the first drop target on the left (unless I'm just that bad of a player; lol).

20170303_214449 (resized).jpg20170303_214449 (resized).jpg

#142 7 years ago

I do not have a file for it. And how can I bring the right flipper down just a tad? It's a pinch higher than the other and I can't seem to catch the first drop target on the left (unless I'm just that bad of a player; lol).

#143 7 years ago

Near the tip of that flipper EOS switch (very close to the white plastic tip) there is an Allen head screw(s) that can be loosened to allow the flipper to be adjusted. Be sure to check the clearance between the flipper and playfield afterwards, you don't want the tip of the flipper scraping the playfield surface.

#144 7 years ago

Ok klr650 I will do that. Thank you. As for the knocker, the sleeve was WAY too long so I cut it as mentioned by Quench and yourself. Played a game and heard it knock! WOW! sooooo much better!
One more thing. My auxiliary lamp board came today ($25) and I hooked it up. IT WORKED! WHOO HOO!!!!

#145 7 years ago

As rufessor mentioned, the weak flipper is most likely the EOS switch on the flipper mechanism. It's burnished and seen better days. It's missing the metal screw washer which has caused the top spacer to break. Also looks like it's missing a spacer closer to the metal frame side. Based on the position of the EOS switch I think it's probably poorly adjusted (opening too soon and reducing thrust power) which also isn't helping.

Consider replacing both flipper EOS switches for better performance.

In the mean time, if you don't have a file to test clean the switch, try some rough double sided sand paper (i.e. fold a small piece in half) and slip it between the EOS switch contact points and rub while you try to press the switch closed to get better abrasion.
NOTE: never use abrasive items to clean gold plated playfield switches otherwise you will destroy them. Only use abrasion on these heavy current flipper based switches.

vid1900 has written an excellent thread on servicing flippers and adjusting EOS switch gaps - etc:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

See the pic below for the Allen head screws klr650 mentioned that lock onto the the flipper bat shaft to hold it in position. They might be pretty tight (and need to be so the bat doesn't slip).

Kiss_Flipper1b.jpgKiss_Flipper1b.jpg
Kiss_Flipper2c.jpgKiss_Flipper2c.jpg

#146 7 years ago

Exactly right. Above.

It would be worth your time to grab a set of files and a flexstone. Read referenced Vids guide- hell read them all,

The basics are that the circuit that enables the flipper to fire runs through the EOS switch. If you grab the flipper in your hand and with the game off and the play field up, move it up you will pretty rapidly figure out the basics. That switch basically removes power from the flipper coil when it opens- and you want it to open near the end of the flipper stroke. But it needs to have enough gap not to spark and vibrate. If it's corroded it will act like the switch is always partially open... thus a weak flipper (this is almost a classic symptom). It's a great idea to power the game off and carefully watch and play with things on your game- it's amazing what You can learn just moving stuff around and watching how the mechanical parts fit together and work together and move the switches. Try a pop bumper- roll over switch- slings- etc. with power off you can freely move the coil plungers and make everything work. No risk- almost impossible to damage anything. Have fun you have a desirable game!

#147 7 years ago

Thank you Quench & rufessor
As someone learning a lot from this thread thank you both for being part of the best thing about Pinside.

#148 7 years ago

Yes, a BIG THANK YOU goes out to EVERYONE that helped get this beautiful machine up and running again. Also, thanks for the great comments. Quench, your pictures showing exactly where to diagnose the problems are awesome and make things so much easier. I hope this thread will help others in the future. Thanks again and thanks to Pinside for bringing us a wonderful place. I will donate.

6 months later
#149 6 years ago

Hello all! I didn't know whether to create a new post or resurrect this one since it has to do with the same machine so here goes:
I seem to be having a couple issues with it again. It's been playing well for the last 6 months but now when I turn on the machine (sometimes) it doesn't fully reset itself. The last couple times I turned it on it reset fine but some of the lights were not working and The KISS logo at the top works but it is really dim. I'm thinking there might be a short or something is draining the power somewhere. And I'm not sure at all why sometimes it don't reset completely. When this happens and you press the credit button the ball won't even load from the trough. I can post pics but video would tell it all but I'm not sure if I can do that here.
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

#150 6 years ago

Back again.

First thing, check the voltages on your power rectifier board - there are test points along the top with voltages listed. The power rectifier board is this one below you pictured earlier:

Secondly, the MPU board has a LED on it that should quickly flicker when you first flick the power switch on, then the led should blink 7 times as the MPU board runs through some self tests. When the game fails to boot, what indication do you get from the MPU board LED?

RectifierBoard.jpgRectifierBoard.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-pinball-79/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.