kiss gene head paint pics 005.JPG
Kiss insert 002.JPG
Kiss insert 001.JPG
image-659.jpg
image.jpg
20150614_235918.jpg
$_57.JPG
IMAG1742.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 8 years ago

I ended up meeting Timmy out at Schwoegs to play late last night just because I couldn't wait to play it! I agree with your review and have a few things to add.

I'm really glad they included a spinner and color changing leds. Both add a lot to the game and the leds are already used better than some of the previous games that have them.

Layout just has a great feel to it. Shots flow well and doesn't have much clunk to it. Love the shot through the pops and the Starchild area. Right ramp shot is tight but satisfying to hit. There isn't much I don't like besides that the standups on both sides are too dangerous to shoot for as the game is deadly once you get side to side action. The scoop is also a dangerous shot to try and shoot dead on and can result in a SDTM drain. If I were to make a comparison to Metallica I would say that met looks great on paper but feels kind of clunky when you play it. Especially the orbit shots. Kiss doesn't feel this way at all and it just feels tighter and flows a bit better.

Right now the game seems heavily weighted on Demon multiball but I'm sure this will change as code progresses. I do like the collect instrument combos (right ramp and alternating shots) and I think if you get 5 of them you light extra ball. I also like how the lights change color for combos and you can build up your score pretty quick by concentrating on them.. the starchild area is also a fairly tight shot and I actually like the way it works. It is somewhat random but is something unlike anything I've really seen before. It does seem to take a lot effort to build the love gun meter for starting mutiball. I was able to qualify it once but the right ramp didn't light so I'm unsure if lovegun is actually in the code yet?

I did notice that it gives you a small amount of points (100 or 150k) for the skillshot of hitting the right orbit switch and having it fall down.

I also found that you should save the backstage pass scoop for multiball as it will give you an add a ball vs. A random award. I was awarded an extra ball once randomly though!

Overall I think it's a solid Pro from what I've seen so far. The layout and art are already great and I think the code will really be the driving factor for the games potential!

Here was my top score from last night. Not great but starting to get a feel for it...

IMAG1742.jpgIMAG1742.jpg

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Glad you and Tim were able to get out and play it!
I was able to get love gun but it warded at teh scoop hole in starchild area after enough star switch hits.
That right ramp is tight but very satisfying to hit.

I know the rulesheet states that you can start it at either the starchild saucer or right ramp but didn't light the ramp for me and I was unable to get it in the saucer.- Not easy since its random... Hopefully they make lovegun easier to start as it currently isn't worth all the work of getting there.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Mike,
How do you light the backstage pass? I was not sure of that.
I will say I hope cliffy makes a scoop protector ASAP as it will get blasted quickly just like the one on TAF at the spot does. Close shot and a nice "Thunk" when you slam it in!

Pretty sure you light it by completing both stand-up banks. Once lit I try and save it for multiball.

I also noticed that when you select your song at the start of the game (right flipper button). You can also select a city using the left flipper. Still not sure how song/city selection factor into the rules?

#23 8 years ago

I forgot to mention the animations and band callouts in my post. I thought the animations were pretty lackluster thus far especially compared to TWD. They are pretty sparse and quality is on the poor side. Hopefully these improve with newer software updates.

I do like the custom band callouts from what I've heard so far. Most seem to be from Gene but I think I heard a couple of Paul ones as well. They warn you when you have tilt warnings and also scold you when you tilt out.-which I seemed to do often.. tilt is setup rather tight and they swapped in those silicone outlane posts which make the outlanes quite deadly!

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I forgot to mention one other con. It is really not related to Kiss but more so to the new Spike system. These games are super light. The tilt is actually very far open and we closed down th outlanes from what they came from the factory.
However, the game it SO VERY light that even a small nudge causes a great movement. I set all our plumb bobs and this one is set further down then all the other sterns. I noticed that this game really will be hard to dial in given its light weight.
My general rule of thumb is that I should not be able to right outlane dead save without tilting but it should be close, and that is what I aim for when setting sensitivity. I also think a player should be able to get away with 1 good harder save but that it is.

I think you have the tilt set up correctly and the game pitched and leveled how I like it . I think it's more a combo of having the bouncier outlane posts, steeper pitch and a new game that hasn't settled down yet. its just playing very fast and unpredictable right now... Once it gets a few hundred plays it should settle down some.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-on-location-in-madison-lets-talk-first-impressions?tu=mikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.