You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture 068 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Hi all. First post here. My 1979 Bally KISS needs a couple of new nixie tubes. Are these available?

#2 4 years ago

Yep, you may be able to find used replacements...but if you're looking for new there are some nice options available. These pinscore displays use LEDs instead of gas tubes that require high voltage. If you replace the entire set, you can cease using the high voltage circuit and run them on 5 volts.

https://www.pinballlife.com/pinscore-classic-stern-and-bally-6-digit-led-display-module.html

Note there are numerous manufacturers making replacement displays, so do some research or ask around here. Also note displays are available in 6 and 7 digits so make sure you're getting the correct type.

Good luck, and welcome to pinside!

#3 4 years ago

Depending on the issue(s), the Bally displays are fixable many times. Check out these pages for theory & repair tips...

http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6.htm

http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6r.htm

If the "glass" is gassed out or badly burnt... then going LED as frunch listed is a good option.

NOTE: these are not Nixie tubes.

Good luck...

#4 4 years ago

Great responses which led to the solution. I have decided to go with a used display since all the others are in really good shape. (Dunno what I was thinking regarding nixie "tubes")

Best regards

#5 4 years ago

If you have a Kiss equipped with Nixe Tubes that would be an amazing rarity.

Plasma Gas is the actual term. PG captures the warm glow of vacuum tubes and puts it to work in a 7 segment display.
Various displays were tried in the early days of solid state pinball including Nixe. Eventually we settled on Plasma Gas as opposed to vacuum florescent used by Gottlieb. The decision came down to what was the most attractive in a dimly lit arcade setting.
Nice to see the technology stay roughly the same for the next 40 years outliving it's creators.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 4 years ago

making an actual nixie tube display would be a fun project. I like them. I kind of want to buy a nixie tube clock.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

making an actual nixie tube display would be a fun project. I like them. I kind of want to buy a nixie tube clock.

I think Zitt used them on his Star Trek game if I recall

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I think zitt used them on his Star Trek game if I recall

Can confirm.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Nice to see the technology stay roughly the same for the next 40 years outliving it's creators.[quoted image][quoted image]

I should change that to 'most' of it's creators.

I built a Nixe tube Flip Flop at Bally back in the day just to try it out. It was summarily rejected.

#10 4 years ago

Nixie tubes are cool. I picked up two Hewlett Packard RF frequency counters that were all Nixie tubes at a yard sale a few years ago. I was going to strip them for parts, but they were too nice. I ended up selling them after I reconditioned them. Someone else probably stripped them...

1 month later
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I think zitt used them on his Star Trek game if I recall

I did.
You can start reading about the nixies here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball#post-745046
At one point; I considered going into low volume production on the nixie displays; but decided it was probably to nitchy… and sourcing volume nixies would be a long term problem.

#12 4 years ago

Made these displays and exhibited them at 2011 TPF. I did the 7-digit conversion on the Silverball Mania using Oliver's EPROMS. Currently these displays reside in my Centaur. My profile pic shows what they look like with a backlight inside the backbox. You can see the game's wiring and boardset between and through the tubes. Kinda cool. My Centaur has a red backlight.
Picture 068 (resized).jpgPicture 068 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-nixie-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.