Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9939 (resized).jpg
IMG_9941 (resized).jpg
IMG_9895 (resized).jpg
IMG_9894 (resized).jpg
IMG_9893 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Started a game and noticed many LED's were out. Went into diagnostic mode and confirmed the lights were out. Power cycled the machine and it tried to update node boards and then failed (photos below).

Any idea how to fix this? I played the game earlier today and it was working fine.

Thanks for any pointers,

snaroff

IMG_9893 (resized).jpgIMG_9893 (resized).jpgIMG_9894 (resized).jpgIMG_9894 (resized).jpgIMG_9895 (resized).jpgIMG_9895 (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Tempest:

Had the same happen to my LE last summer. Node board dead.... Contact your dealer or Stern for a replacement. It's a 10 minute fix.

Ended up being Node 9 in the center of the PF. Ordered a new one from my distributor yesterday. Considering the game was purchased NIB and has only 400 plays, it's a bummer. My LOTR has 6-7 thousand plays and has never had any board issues. They don't make 'um like the use to.

Thanks for the response!

snaroff

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Did Stern say they wouldn’t help you? I get you’ve had it a bit, but they’re usually really generous.
Marc

Chas helped me diagnose the issue and suggested I order a node board through my distributor. The pin is from 2015, so I don't expect them to ship me one free of charge. I'm sure if I bitched and moaned to the right person, I could get a freebee, but I wasn't in the mood to grovel for one.

It's just one more reason to not be impressed with Spike...my older Stern's consistently out perform the newer games (in terms of error free behavior). To be honest, my B/W games are more reliable than the new Sterns (and if the B/W boards have a problem, low cost fixes are easy from many hobbyists).

snaroff

1 week later
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Tempest:

Had the same happen to my LE last summer. Node board dead.... Contact your dealer or Stern for a replacement. It's a 10 minute fix.

Received my "new" node board yesterday. Did your replacement have the following jumper hacks on the back?

I asked Chas about it and he claims this was a modification to all node boards of this type (which I guess were only in the first generation Spike machines).

Curious,

snaroff

IMG_9941 (resized).jpgIMG_9941 (resized).jpg
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

More reliable connection, maybe the upper side traces aren't robust enough?
Rob

That's the "vibe" I got for speaking with Chas. He claims all the "new" Node 9 boards on the 1st generation Spike machines have these adhoc looking wires soldered on the back of the circuit board.

If this is true, and the original boards had a major bug that caused them to fail prematurely (in my case after 400 plays), it seems like the replacement board should be covered by Stern.

As you can see in this photo, my original board looks fresher/newer than the part I just paid $185 for (which I thought would be new/pristine).

I don't mind paying for a new board, but it doesn't feel good to expect new and get restored/hacked. Sometimes it feels like Stern is being less than totally upfront with us. Oh well...seems like the way of the world nowadays.

snaroff

IMG_9939 (resized).jpgIMG_9939 (resized).jpg
#15 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

That was why I thought you should have asked Stern to do something.

In hindsight, you were obviously right!

When my board failed, I had no clue that Stern modified *all* boards of this ilk to include the jumpers (only shipped with GOT/KISS IIRC). Seems like they should have issued a bulletin about this?

In any event, Stern/Chas did "do the right thing" and are going to warranty the part (since this board is known to fail prematurely without the jumpers).

Thanks for your advice/follow-up,

snaroff

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

welcome to the club. I'm $500 deep into a node board failure.

Ouch. What game? How many plays?

snaroff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 29.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-lights-out-updating-node-board?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.